THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Be Honest

Chicopee John

Does anybody really believe that, barring an injury, somebody other than Quinn will start opening day?

Either you are living in a dream world or the Browns (i.e. Savage) is a complete idiot for drafting such an incompetent QB.

Quinn starts.

If not, this organization is screwed up BIG TIME.

We're having a QB competition. It's going to be fun. Can't we all just get along??? LOL

Seriously, Let's let EM worry about it.

Interesting point. Phrased another way, it could read, "as fans, we had better hope that this is the one thing that Savage got right."

Dennis

Thanks....that doesn't make it sound like people are idiots for thinking he may not be the man.....and people complain about Lum.

Geesh

We're having a QB competition. It's going to be fun. Can't we all just get along??? LOL

Seriously, Let's let EM worry about it.

This isn't targeted at you ndneighbor but...

Why the need for a QB competition?

DA had a great season in 07, we all loved it, the reigns were handed to him for the next year. In 08 he showed that 07 was nothing more than being an unknown and benefiting from an easy schedule. I mean come on, we didn't even make the playoffs in 07, when we had it gift-wrapped for us by just having to beat the lowly Bungles to get in.

DA had his shot, he blew it, end of story. Quinn should get his shot to show if he can be the leader and QB of this team for years to come. If he sucks just like DA then I'll want to try someone else and so on.

Screw a competition, have a clear cut starter and let him get the majority of the reps. Every year since 99 we've seem to had a "QB Controversy".

Just name a starter and go from there.

This isn't targeted at you ndneighbor but...

Why the need for a QB competition?

DA had a great season in 07, we all loved it, the reigns were handed to him for the next year. In 08 he showed that 07 was nothing more than being an unknown and benefiting from an easy schedule. I mean come on, we didn't even make the playoffs in 07, when we had it gift-wrapped for us by just having to beat the lowly Bungles to get in.

DA had his shot, he blew it, end of story. Quinn should get his shot to show if he can be the leader and QB of this team for years to come. If he sucks just like DA then I'll want to try someone else and so on.

Screw a competition, have a clear cut starter and let him get the majority of the reps. Every year since 99 we've seem to had a "QB Controversy".

Just name a starter and go from there.

I understand and agree. They need to be diplomatic though. They're forced to protect an investment in DA until a trade is completed. I'm sure people will disagree, but EM said "QB competition". It's his team now. It will have his finger prints on it for years to come. So far he appears to be managing Lerner's franchise rather well.

I think that it will be a legitimate QB competition but I think that Mangini has inherited a delicate situation. Last year, the interior line play and WR play was also a factor. He beefed up the line with Mack. I think that he has to give Quinn a legit shot because of his popularity. It's probably driving Mangini nuts if he doesn't like him. Nonetheless, I think with a new coaching staff....you start them off even and see who wins.

That said, as fans....you need to be prepared to say "May the best QB win" and live that idea.

Im looking as forward as anyone to seeing BQ start but not at the expense of a rigged competition like crennels crap..if we have a guy that fits the system better i expect mangini to start him instead...we want to win damnit!

The one exception is DA he cracks under pressure and im sick of the hearing the controversy and the fans booing..

Its pretty obvious DA isnt the answer in our system but hey if he is the better guy..cough cough and mangini wants to put his ass in the sling for DA like romeo did im good with it but the loser needs to leave town...;)

Thing is, if DA or hell, even Ratliff, is better than Brady in pre season, Mangini can't start them. He has to start BQ because of all the unconditional love for him. I'm not a DA fan by any means, I'm a browns fan and want what is best for the team. If that isn't BQ, so be it, but I don't think every fan understands that.

Thing is, if DA or hell, even Ratliff, is better than Brady in pre season, Mangini can't start them. He has to start BQ because of all the unconditional love for him. I'm not a DA fan by any means, I'm a browns fan and wan't what is best for the team. If that isn't BQ, so be it, but I don't think every fan understands that.

I think you're spot on. Mangini has dealt with this before with Pennington and Clemens. He'll play the best guy and you guys here will hate him even more.

I would be happy with Tim Couch being the QB next year if he had a 100 QB rating. I don't care who wins the competition but I believe it will be a fair competition. I also believe that Mangini will play the QB who gives him the best chance to win. The best thing that can happen is that one QB clearly steps up and plays better than the other ones during camp and the preseason.

There are too many QBs to have a coin flip, this would require a rock/paper/scissors competition

Have an open competition, who the hell cares, Quinn is going to beat the snot out of DA based on the sole fact that DA cannot handle any pressure of any kind and this competition will cause him to curl into the fetal position and cry for his granola.

With that being said I really hope we hang on to DA cause as ive said a plethora of times, DA is the best backup QB in the league. If Quinn went down DA could absolutely win us a few games with relatively low expectations.

See, that's just the thing about DA. He's the perfect backup because being #2 carries no pressure. Win the game, you're the hero, lose it and it's not your fault anyway, the starter got hurt.

I honestly wouldn't mind watching anyone but DA. I've just plain seen enough of him for a lifetime (at least as a starter).

That being said, I would like to see Quinn get his shot running an offense suited to him. A strong running game, a planned passing attack that focuses on moving the chains and takes its shots downfield in favorable positions; that's what Quinn played in at ND and it worked well.

I'd like to see it work here too.

Camp battle won't prove a thing because there is nt hitting the QB and the whistle is usually blown dead. DA gets to show off his pretty spirals and continues to wow occasionally with some downfield bullets.

They'll never know what Queen has until the season starts and he gets a long leash (like the whole season) to get acclimated. He also needs reps from the get go given a new center and new receiving corps across the board, basically.

If they legitimately just go by what each one looks like in practice there is a possibility DA somehow wins the job, but I can't begin to imagine these guys would fall for that shit. This team needs a QB with "it", a guy who can make plays, check down, run the two minute drill, be a leader on the field, occasionally use his wheels and otherwise keep drives alive by creating out of the pocket. You know, pretty much everything Dex can't do and he's proven it.

I'm all for a hybrid model at this point. Give Quinn the #1 reps going into the preseason, but be open to someone (even DA) beating him out.

Which teams don't have QB competitions? The Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Bears (now), Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, and a handful of others. That's because they have established starters. Quinn hasn't established anything at this point. I think he can, and I hope he will. But please, this "no competition" thing is crazy; how many teams have been successful by looking at one of their QBs and saying, well, the other guy was bad last year, so you're our unquestioned starter! If he earns it, great. If not, well, maybe Savage didn't find the acorn after all.

Dennis

First, DA did not have a GREAT 2007. He had a GREAT 3 games that padded the stats and a GOOD rest of the season. His body of work in total has been uninspiring. The coaching staff, new or not, knows this. DA has no history with these guys and a below average career passer rating. Ouch.

Second, is there really any other offense that can win in the AF North OTHER than one focused on a solid running game, high completion rates and opportunistic long passing? This continued discussion of DA's "long" passes is simply too easy to game plan late in the season when the pressure is on.

Third, and finally, if Quinn isn't the starter when the season begins we can all forget about him. That will signal that there's something systemically wrong with the guy and Savage was a horrid talent evaluator. Why? Because, again, DA has siimply played his way out of starting ahead of a first round draft pick.

Lets hand it over to BQ ... DA is a high quality back-up... its been proven, time to move on.

Its understandable to allow a new regime to come in and make thier own determination....fine, make it now. Some fans are acting like our new coach and GM havent seen either of these guys play... what, no film archives in Berea, Ohio ??? It was my personal hope that the new football brass came in with a solid plan and an overall idea of whats going on with this franchise... I assume they had interviews (well, knowing Lerner...he probably thought he was hiring soccer coaches...or maybe it was an Apprentice audition).

The only thing we know at this point, is that the Cleveland J-E-T-S (jets jets jets) have like 35% of our roster as x-NY Jets...thats really all we know. Another Spring and Summer of this QB crap is just way to much to bare IMHO... we need some solid direction. If Quinn isnt in thier future...fine, but dont trash another painful NFL season in the process. If its option C ....pull the trigger and lets go win. BQ,DA, and BE can all play in this league ... the only unknown is BQ (to be fair) ---but dont think our new brass wont trade him. We have already seen some wheelin and dealing and despite our major regime change...I applaud 2007, 2008, and 2009 drafts...its been better than years past, IMHO.

I wish I knew what the major plan is...so the fans could get behind something...because we havent done S*** in over 40 years... its been 10 years of plain and simple misery since our rebirth (1999)... 4 regime changes and 1 decent season. All the fans have is our teams colors and heritage and nothing else. Its time for some freakin winning football in Cleveland ... the time is now.

Bermeck (4 of our first 6 on the road ... hope we are a good road team next season...or we hang our sorry heads again by Halloween)

An open competition is the best way to settle this. They will battle it out in training camp, Quinn will win it, we will trade DA for a 4th next year to some team that has an injury in Preseason. Bartell will be #2 Harrell #3.

DA's complete inability to throw the short pass makes me want to pull my hair out and this is just part of what will be his downfall under this new staff. He is immobile and can't throw a screen. This makes his game completely one dimensional.

Quinn, while not having DA's rocket arm can still make most of those downfield throws, he's mobile and shows touch on the short stuff.

Remember the Denver post article which claimed Quinn was never being considered as trade bait. He's getting his shot here. He's a quality kid and very intelligent. He fits in well with what Mangini is trying to do. The FO has done what they needed to do to give him the chance to be successful with a new center, keeping Edwards and adding two big WR's.

He'll be the starting QB and have every chance to prove his worth..

I'm guessing they brought Ratliff in to be the three (or two if one of Quinn or DA leaves). Harrell and Bartel will presumably fight it out to be on the practice squad if we stay status quo.

Which teams don't have QB competitions? The Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Bears (now), Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, and a handful of others.

Atlanta, Seattle, Jacksonville, Tennessee, St. Louis, Green Bay, Arizona and Philadelphia.

These teams are pretty well set as well. Gerard, Bulger, Rogers, Ryan, Warner, McNabb and Collins are pretty much set in stone.....There is a common thread with a good percentage of these fifteen teams. They are playoff teams or not far away from being a playoff team. Only a few are not close.

Set you starter and allow him to develope as that. I think it's a better to send a signal to the the team that one guy is our guy. We need to work with him. Then when it comes to who may be starting, bitter rivalries and divisions won't take place between various members of the team. They will all be on the same page.

He should name the starter... Quinn.

The Browns are paying this kid way to much money to sell power drinks and fresh made sandwiches ... its all or nothing right now with Quinn...everyone is covered...the coach can say he wasnt my guy (and all that crap), and we can chalk him up as another of our many many busts in the modern era... who cares at this point ???

"Open QB competition"... ??????? omg, I think i'm going to puke...we have sucked for so long.... I have had it !!!!

Get on with it Browns, for goodness sake.

The real funny part is that BQ really wants to lead this team, its been his life-long dream....how can anyone deny him of that chance ???? here's a NFL expert thought... LET HIN FREAKIN PLAY !!!!!!!!!!!!...give him the keys NOW !!!!!!!!!!! what are we going to lose anyway ???? games ???? seasons ???? coaches ????...the only thing we will lose is a quarterback.

The jets will have some 5th stringer next season Mangini can gratify himself over.....gesh.

Bermeck (irritated, 4 months out...not good .... lol)

you guys need to chill about all this, the entire offense is beign geared for a quinn type passer. he will be the starter, hell the whole competition may just be blowing smoke. we drafted a center, 2 wideouts that arn't know for speed, but hands and routes underneath. we traded away our big time recieving TE for blocking TEs. not to mention mangini, daboll, and pretty much everyone else on the team comes from the ball control mindset, and are basically furthest you can get from vertical passing game coaches you'll find. BQ will be starting, at this point QB talk is moot.

ya it sux that he may not get all the reps, but who knows maybe it may not carry into the preseason games, and just the first month of camp. there is just no way on earth that they will put DA behind center and have him throw short passes all day. it would be just too much coaching work to coach him to be able to throw short passes, even if its possible. mangini seems very smart when it comes to football, i'm sure all the shitty passing hes seen on film is even worse for him watching it, and i see no way he'll run a vertical passing game similar to DA's strengths, as it doesn't take teams to the SB anymore, and he knows that. Mangini i'm sure wants to trade DA very badly, he wont get much value if they declare BQ the starter, and DA is on the bench.

and don't forget, DA folds like a cheap suit under pressure. the very fact that he has to compete is the main reason he'll lose the competition.

you guys need to chill about all this, the entire offense is beign geared for a quinn type passer. he will be the starter, hell the whole competition may just be blowing smoke. we drafted a center, 2 wideouts that arn't know for speed, but hands and routes underneath. we traded away our big time recieving TE for blocking TEs. not to mention mangini, daboll, and pretty much everyone else on the team comes from the ball control mindset, and are basically furthest you can get from vertical passing game coaches you'll find. BQ will be starting, at this point QB talk is moot.

ya it sux that he may not get all the reps, but who knows maybe it may not carry into the preseason games, and just the first month of camp. there is just no way on earth that they will put DA behind center and have him throw short passes all day. it would be just too much coaching work to coach him to be able to throw short passes, even if its possible. mangini seems very smart when it comes to football, i'm sure all the shitty passing hes seen on film is even worse for him watching it, and i see no way he'll run a vertical passing game similar to DA's strengths, as it doesn't take teams to the SB anymore, and he knows that. Mangini i'm sure wants to trade DA very badly, he wont get much value if they declare BQ the starter, and DA is on the bench.

and don't forget, DA folds like a cheap suit under pressure. the very fact that he has to compete is the main reason he'll lose the competition.

Alendor Is that You Pat DiLillo???

<<<<mangini seems very smart when it comes to football, i'm sure all the shitty passing hes seen on film is even worse for him watching it,>>>>

Thats true... I dont hate the guy...but the only thing we have seen from him is career networking... week 1 might end up being an x-jet MLM / recruiting seminar..."get an x-jet and tell 3 of your freinds and family to do the same....cya at the top, Browns fans !".

Didnt realize the Jets had such a winning powerhouse the last few years...feels good to get some of thier past depth.... gesh.

Bermeck (smelling like 3 - 13 .... until it feels different, thats what you got)

Yeah, I would say if Quinn doesn't start, he must really suck. But that's hard to swallow if you watched the Denver game or his cameo late 2007, with the two dropped TD passes, or his preseason in 2007.

That said, you'd have to be concerned that two straight administrations just refused to give him an extended look. Maybe he's like Drew Stanton or Charlie Frye in practice, like shockingly bad (!).

Shep, Quinn has never really been given a shot in preseason. His first year he didn't get signed and Frye was given the job for one game then Anderson took over. Last year they went into camp after after a 10-6 season and said right up front that it was Anderson's job.

So, I don't think it's been that Quinn has played bad in preseason, he needs to compete on equal ground. This year, I believe it is his job to lose. DA does look good when they are playing in shorts, without contact. Bnut, that won't be enough this year because this staff has his body of work to go by.

Mangini really wanted Ratliff. He thinks the kid has a chance to be a very good quarterback in this league. I have to think he meant as a backup, not a third stringer. My gut says Anderson still gets moved.

Just read today that Mangini won't name a starter "before training camp." That's interesting wording.

These guys are totally trying to avoid all the nonsense from the media by putting an end to all the QB talk now. Not a bad plan really. Hell, I even get sick of hearing about it.

Much as Phillip put an end to it by signing DA and naming him the starter these guys are just flat refusing to address it.

I haven't posted since last summer but I guess the QB debate is still the main topic on this board...WOW These two players have really polarized the Browns nation

For what it's worth, I really could care less who starts for my Browns and yes, I'd like to see what we spent a 1st and 2nd on in the draft...Keep in mind the one piece of the puzzle that Savage couldn't find in Baltimore was the QB position...Is that position his achilles tendon.....

My most major complaint with Romeo last year is that he did not play Quinn early... Anderson was coming off a concussion and clearly played with cobwebs in his head all season... He never really recovered and couldn't process all the information fast enough... When he did, Edwards dropped the ball... Edwards sucked the air out our team last year...We should have learned about Quinn last year PERIOD.....

Anderson is this era's Testeverde, that arm is something special... Be it Quinn or Anderson I'll bet Mangini plays the one who is gonna allow him to keep his job the longest...Neither are his boys and if Quinns not the one he may borrow a line from his mentor and claim something about diminishing skills.... Lightning may strike twice... The difference is, Mangini is not a rookie coach (Palmer, Davis and Romeo were all rookies), He's learned to do what he has to do to keep his job---at that my friends is to win ballgames......

T. Dawg

It's not that I don't get that point of view, Dennis. I do. But we're talking about a 24 year old QB in a new offense. He'd benefit from every rep. It's basically what they did with Anderson last year: Say that Quinn is the starter until he isn't. He'll start the opener and that's the only guarantee.

But splitting reps and preseason quarters... I'm not fan of it when you're dealing with youngsters.

Oops, my thanks to this post was accidental.

I'm trying to figure out this post.... are you saying they gave DA the job and didn't have him splitting reps, or are you saying they screwed DA by naming him the QB and not giving him reps in preseason. Remember, he only had the ball 3 drives or so all preseason.

Archived