THE BROWNS BOARD

Hopes, dreams and fears for games 9-16

gftChris

What are you expecting to see? What are you hoping to see? What are you dreading?

I'm pretty sure nobody truly expected us to be winless after 8 games, although that's a little bit misleading as while there have been several games we've been blown out by playoff teams - pats, bengals, eagles, redskins - we've been in some very close games that we could and probably should have closed out, especially the Miami game where we were basically fucked by having a brand new kicker turn up basically on the day. If he makes one more of the kicks we win, and he's gone on not to miss. If Murray got injured a few days earlier, or later, we win that game, but we Brownsed.

Anyway, I'll go first (obviously).

What I'm expecting to see:

- a couple more QB injuries and changes, as our OL continues to be a work in progress, RG-Knee comes in and goes out again, Josh McCown breaks his walking stick etc, leading to...

- More of Cody Kessler, obviously

- On that OL, Shon Coleman getting more looks at right tackle, and Drango eventually becoming the starter at LG ahead of bailey.

- A more balanced offensive strategy than against the jets - yes we were leading, but that doesn't mean you've got to run loads even though you're facing the top run D in the league. Where a team's weakness is the secondary we'll target it, and where their weakness is up front we'll target it.

- Barnidge getting more involved and seeing a bit more of the younger TEs such as DeValve

- An improved rush defense, as Collins helps Davis and the improving Kirksey at, while Ogbah continues to improve and Danny Shelton and Jamie Meder keep them clean.

- A still extremely poor secondary. Sorry, the guys just aren't there to make it any better right now. QBs are going to tear us apart.

What I'm hoping to see:

- More of the two 'unused' rookie receivers, Higgins and Payton. We've seen plenty of Louis (and probably enough, tbh) but not much of these guys. I get that in the absence of Coleman they've been looking for a speed/size guy to stretch the field, while these two are possession guys, but that shouldn't be the case any more.

- More growth by Cody Kessler, and with both Coleman and Pryor showing the ability to take a simple short pass, make a defender miss, and pick up an extra 10 yards, getting the ball out of his hands quickly.

- Subsequently, a better run game as teams are forced to defend both Coleman and Pryor as legitimate targets in short, intermediate and deep routes.

- As a result of that, more play action that will allow Kessler to gain big chunks without being forced to heave it

- Carl Nassib actually applying pressure in the backfield. He's done some nice things by throwing his hands in the air when he can't get to the QB, but he needs to start actually getting past his blocker and forcing the issue.

- Some semblance of a return game. No logic behind this one, but we seem to be very poor in that department, especially when it comes to fair catches inside the 5...grrrrr.

What I fear may come to pass:

- A winless season leading to some forced changes from above.

- Haden, Pryor, Coleman unable to stay healthy

- Cam Erving staying healthy

- With Kessler unable to go deep as effectively, teams keying in on the run game and throttling the O.

- Tramon Williams gets even slower, and soon we see even Joe Flacco outrunning him.

- Danny Shelton gets distracted by a food truck and reverts back to last year's form.

- Campbell and Kindred both make a play on the same throw, miss, give each other concussions, and we have to start Cam Erving at safety.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post.

I agree with most of your take, especially the Shon Coleman & Drango thing. We need to find out if these young guys are NFL caliber linemen. Also, play Higgins and Payton more at WR, I'm not high on Ricardo Louis at all.

What I'm hoping to see...some wins at home. Dallas, Cincy, Pitt, NYG, & SD remain. Unfortunately, with our pass D, wins vs these teams (or anybody) might be a tall order. Browns need to force turnovers to win those games....winning a few of the final 8 would give the players and staff some confidence that there is indeed hope.

What I am dreading....visiting fans buying up seats and making more noise than Browns fans. I'm dreading it and know it will happen. I'm also dreading the fear of a shake up in the coaching ranks (but doubt it will happen), and the endless draft talk debates from here through April. I do think a good draft will get us on the rise....secondary help should be a priority.

Lastly, while I do like Kessler, I'd stick with McCown for now. Go back to Kessler in December, to see if he can handle the cold & wind.

pretty obvious that most of us want to see those things...

but throwing off on Danny Shelton was stupid - the kid

very obviously means business, lost that weight -

you worry too much, Chris.

The Browns need to draft/sign a safety and fix the secondary. Without Joe Haden in there,

they are nearly helpless.

Kindred can play - he will be even better next year. S or CB in the first round.

I do believe thte Browns will draft a qb. I would hope, though it's very..very early, that it would

be Trubisky. Not sold on Kizer at this point.

Still don't know if/how RGIII sees the field like he needs to. I admire McCown - Kessler makes the

quickest, smartest decisions of the three. Right now, I think Trubisky is like Kessler with a bigger arm.

Still, I LOVE the way the Browns play this year- as far as attitude, going for it- being a TEAM, ..

they are just not that many players away. They kick ass often and move the ball, etc.

The defense is starting to shove the run up the middle in the offenses' face.

Huge holes at C,RT,blocking TE on O. Who is Gabe Ikard at C till 2017 contract up? Pasztor contract up 17, who is S Coleman/Durango? Barney is killing us on blocking assignments, Who is Telfer & Devalve? Must find true KR/PR guy? Serious holes on D. Shelton? with no depth. LDE-Naz & X.Coop seem to disappear for long spells. LILB-D.Davis,under performing? Who is this guy Alexander & Scooby? Our FS & RCB is our worst hole when FS is T.Howard starts over Ed Reynolds? RCB-dancin J.Taylor,T Will & Burley (belch)...Got to get Collins,Pryor,Crow & Meder done b4 2017 imo, leaving on FA bubble, J.Taylor,Poyer,Paea,Colquitt,Pasztor,Cam Johnson, WR Randall Hall(hue likes him),G. Ikard ?(T,got anything on this guy?),Ed Reynolds,K. Hogan or/RG3?, Parkey/Murray?....Greco/Bino/Des/Kirksey/Reiter/RG3/McC/T.Will come up in 2018... Hopes-Talent//Dreams-Cheerleaders//Fears-always Haslem

I don't know how much stock you guys put into Pro Football Focus, but Austin Pasztor was ranked like top three IN THE LEAGUE after the third game. I heard that on the radio show Monday I think. I don't expect him to keep up that level of play, but still...remember the beginning of the year? Yeah, it appears as if he can play. He's especially adept at run blocking I think. That's some good news, right?

My hopes are that Pryor stays healthy and we sign him to a long term deal. I DON'T want to franchise him, and I want him locked up. He's exactly the kind of guy we want on our football team (I think I read that he returned to practice today, yay!)

My biggest thing is Kessler playing better and staying healthy. He does that, and we have something. Virtually every part of our offense is intact, and it's something to really build on. I want to see our defense start creating turnovers. We've gotten a lot of pass deflections, but we're not getting the picks. Our DB's have had their hands on the ball, yet they're not making the play. We aren't stripping the ball or getting to the QB enough. I also want to see our defense start holding opposition to more FG's.

I also hope to see Ogbah continue to get better and make more plays, Coleman to stay healthy and be the weapon we need, and our FG kicker to continue to make his kicks.

I had high hopes for the second season, but so many injuries did not allow us to get any real "seasoning" as an intact team. Add to that last Sunday's collapse and I just can't get excited about any sudden change of direction or play. So that just leaves play them all as much as we can and who gives a shit about the outcome. Then we get to play the draft game now 'till draft day. Then I will likely be scratching my head once again trying to see what they think they see in the FO. Yeah, that's worked out well.

A little bird sent me the following article...

Cleveland Browns: Austin Pasztor excelling at pass protection

by Joel W. Cade 1 day ago

Cleveland Browns right tackle Austin Pasztor has struggled mightily at right tackle this season. Find out how he has turned it around.

Cleveland Browns offensive line coach Hal Hunter deserves a raise. His work with the offensive line has been nothing short of amazing.

Just four weeks ago, the line was giving up massive hits on quarterbacks, turning the position into a living hell on earth. However, one month later the offensive line who should have struggled against a very good New York Jets front seven went out and protected Josh McCown well. Their play gave the Browns an opportunity to win the game. Unfortunately, failure to execute from the quarterback and wide receiver positions ultimately held the offense back.

Helping the offensive line was a change in the way offensive line calls were made. Josh McCown called out the mike in pass protection coverage and he made relevant line blocking calls. When a call was made at the line of scrimmage, it was usually John Greco making the calls. He called out the changes in protections and run blocking schemes.

This sounds contradictory so let me explain. McCown made the initial call based on what the defense lined up at initially. McCown then made a dummy cadence call to get the defense to show their hand. If changes were necessary after that point, they were made by John Greco. McCown made changes with the receivers and backs. This system worked very well for the Browns on Sunday.

The most improved player over the past four weeks is far and away Austin Pasztor. I have been very critical of Pasztor in my articles. It is nice to see his play not only improve but actually be outstanding for his position.

Run blocking has always been his strength. He is a pure road grater who has opened many holes in the running game. However, pass protection has been a serious struggle for him. Over the past few weeks, Pasztor has consistently improved in pass protection. Dare I say it, but Pasztor right now is a better overall tackle than Mitchell Schwartz (whose game is limited to pass protection).

Pasztor gets off the ball

Pasztor’s sets in pass protection are much improved. Early in the season, Pasztor struggled to get out of his stance, create space and set to take on the defender quickly enough.

Pasztor was consistently late out of his stance. This created problems for him on the rest of the block. It would make sense for him to get out of his stance late because of his switch from guard to tackle. At guard, it is easier to hear the cadence and see the ball.

Tackle is like playing on an island in pass protection. There is a greater need to time the snap at tackle as opposed to guard. As a guard, one can compensate for being late off the ball because there is less ground to cover and help from the center. At tackle, especially facing a speed rusher, there is more ground to cover and less time to cover it.

In order to cover the ground quickly, the tackle must anticipate the snap count must like a defensive end. The offense knows the snap count, but if he can get off a little earlier without false starting, then a major advantage is created. This is why tackles will more often false start than guards in pass protection.

Pasztor has figured out the skill of anticipating the snap. It has allowed him to create space more effectively and to get set before the initial contact with the defender. A good start leads to a good block. Pasztor is figuring that out.

Pasztor beating the Wide-9 Rush

Pasztor has figured out how to set the Wide-9 technique. Pasztor struggled early in the season against speed rushers converting speed to power. He still struggles to an extent but he is figuring out how to cut off the inside line from rushers.

In previous games, Pasztor would be late off the ball and unprepared at the point of contact. As such, he was at the mercy of the defender. That is, his failure to set allowed the defender to make any move he wanted and take any path to the quarterback he wanted.

Now Pasztor is setting on time. In addition, he is using his body to dictate terms to the defender. In previous weeks, Pasztor would open his hips to face the defender giving the defender two options. He gave up major hits on Griffin, McCown and Kessler when beat on the inside move. Now Pasztor is keeping his shoulders and hips square to the line of scrimmage closing off that inside lane. By doing so, he dictates to the defender the lane he can rush.

By dictating terms to the defender, Pasztor is taking control of the pass protection and making his job much easier. For example, by setting setting square and closing off the inside lane, Pasztor is forcing defenders to take the longer outside lane. This plays into his hands as he can run a speed rusher past the quarterback or stand up the power rusher creating a nice pocket for the quarterback.

The improvement of Austin Pasztor is real and should be taken seriously. Hal Hunter deserves a raise for his work with Pasztor. I once asked, can Austin Pasztor be fixed? The answer is clearly yes because he has been fixed. This is great news for Browns quarterbacks.

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/11/02/cleveland-browns-austin-pasztor-excelling-at-pass-protection/3/

As for the OP...

I hope we:

• get through the remainder of the year with no significant injuries.
  • complete evaluations of both Kess and RG3.
  • end the season with no more than one question mark in the OL.
  • see our rookie WR crop develop.
  • see what Devalve has.
  • a cohesive D developing with the whole > the sum of its parts.

I dream of:

• the #1 overall pick.

I fear:

• Haslam's judgement.

but throwing off on Danny Shelton was stupid - the kid

very obviously means business, lost that weight -

you worry too much, Chris.

The Browns need to draft/sign a safety and fix the secondary. Without Joe Haden in there,

they are nearly helpless.

Kindred can play - he will be even better next year. S or CB in the first round.

I do believe thte Browns will draft a qb. I would hope, though it's very..very early, that it would

be Trubisky. Not sold on Kizer at this point.

Still don't know if/how RGIII sees the field like he needs to. I admire McCown - Kessler makes the

quickest, smartest decisions of the three. Right now, I think Trubisky is like Kessler with a bigger arm.

Still, I LOVE the way the Browns play this year- as far as attitude, going for it- being a TEAM, ..

they are just not that many players away. They kick ass often and move the ball, etc.

Your formatting made me read your post as a poem

Plain and simply I see progress! Small steps,no quitting,and love of the game! Wont be a quick turn around,but there will be one! Coaching is acceptable. The small group of vets we have is leading, not looking to leave ASAP! I'm staying positive,while being cautiosly optimistic! This group plus what we add this off season, if they stay the course. Will in my opinion get results! We have major cap space,draft capital,decent front office,and a positive direction! GO BROWNS!!!

Your formatting made me read you post as a poem

Here ya go...

but throwing off on Danny Shelton stings -

the kid very obviously means business, lost that weight -

you worry too much, Chris. Don't hate.

The Browns need to draft/sign a safety and fix the secondary.

Without Joe Haden in there, they are worse than ordinary.

Kindred can play - he will be even better next year.

S or CB in the first round. Hope he wants to play here.

I do believe thte Browns will draft a qb.

I would hope, though it's very..very early, but we'll see.

Hope it would be Trubisky we anoint . Not sold on Kizer at this point.

Not seeing the field is a problem with RGIII.

I admire McCown - Kessler makes the quickest, smartest decisions of the three.

Right now, I think Trubisky is like Kessler with a bigger arm.

I say we draft him, whats the harm?

Still, I LOVE the way the Browns play this year-

as far as attitude, going for it- being a TEAM, having no fear..

they are just not that many players away.

They kick ass often, move the ball, and come ready to play

That's about it, I think I've made my case.

A little bird sent me the following article...

Cleveland Browns: Austin Pasztor excelling at pass protection

by Joel W. Cade 1 day ago

Cleveland Browns right tackle Austin Pasztor has struggled mightily at right tackle this season. Find out how he has turned it around.

Cleveland Browns offensive line coach Hal Hunter deserves a raise. His work with the offensive line has been nothing short of amazing.

Just four weeks ago, the line was giving up massive hits on quarterbacks, turning the position into a living hell on earth. However, one month later the offensive line who should have struggled against a very good New York Jets front seven went out and protected Josh McCown well. Their play gave the Browns an opportunity to win the game. Unfortunately, failure to execute from the quarterback and wide receiver positions ultimately held the offense back.

Helping the offensive line was a change in the way offensive line calls were made. Josh McCown called out the mike in pass protection coverage and he made relevant line blocking calls. When a call was made at the line of scrimmage, it was usually John Greco making the calls. He called out the changes in protections and run blocking schemes.

This sounds contradictory so let me explain. McCown made the initial call based on what the defense lined up at initially. McCown then made a dummy cadence call to get the defense to show their hand. If changes were necessary after that point, they were made by John Greco. McCown made changes with the receivers and backs. This system worked very well for the Browns on Sunday.

The most improved player over the past four weeks is far and away Austin Pasztor. I have been very critical of Pasztor in my articles. It is nice to see his play not only improve but actually be outstanding for his position.

Run blocking has always been his strength. He is a pure road grater who has opened many holes in the running game. However, pass protection has been a serious struggle for him. Over the past few weeks, Pasztor has consistently improved in pass protection. Dare I say it, but Pasztor right now is a better overall tackle than Mitchell Schwartz (whose game is limited to pass protection).

Pasztor gets off the ball

Pasztor’s sets in pass protection are much improved. Early in the season, Pasztor struggled to get out of his stance, create space and set to take on the defender quickly enough.

Pasztor was consistently late out of his stance. This created problems for him on the rest of the block. It would make sense for him to get out of his stance late because of his switch from guard to tackle. At guard, it is easier to hear the cadence and see the ball.

Tackle is like playing on an island in pass protection. There is a greater need to time the snap at tackle as opposed to guard. As a guard, one can compensate for being late off the ball because there is less ground to cover and help from the center. At tackle, especially facing a speed rusher, there is more ground to cover and less time to cover it.

In order to cover the ground quickly, the tackle must anticipate the snap count must like a defensive end. The offense knows the snap count, but if he can get off a little earlier without false starting, then a major advantage is created. This is why tackles will more often false start than guards in pass protection.

Pasztor has figured out the skill of anticipating the snap. It has allowed him to create space more effectively and to get set before the initial contact with the defender. A good start leads to a good block. Pasztor is figuring that out.

Pasztor beating the Wide-9 Rush

Pasztor has figured out how to set the Wide-9 technique. Pasztor struggled early in the season against speed rushers converting speed to power. He still struggles to an extent but he is figuring out how to cut off the inside line from rushers.

In previous games, Pasztor would be late off the ball and unprepared at the point of contact. As such, he was at the mercy of the defender. That is, his failure to set allowed the defender to make any move he wanted and take any path to the quarterback he wanted.

Now Pasztor is setting on time. In addition, he is using his body to dictate terms to the defender. In previous weeks, Pasztor would open his hips to face the defender giving the defender two options. He gave up major hits on Griffin, McCown and Kessler when beat on the inside move. Now Pasztor is keeping his shoulders and hips square to the line of scrimmage closing off that inside lane. By doing so, he dictates to the defender the lane he can rush.

By dictating terms to the defender, Pasztor is taking control of the pass protection and making his job much easier. For example, by setting setting square and closing off the inside lane, Pasztor is forcing defenders to take the longer outside lane. This plays into his hands as he can run a speed rusher past the quarterback or stand up the power rusher creating a nice pocket for the quarterback.

The improvement of Austin Pasztor is real and should be taken seriously. Hal Hunter deserves a raise for his work with Pasztor. I once asked, can Austin Pasztor be fixed? The answer is clearly yes because he has been fixed. This is great news for Browns quarterbacks.

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/11/02/cleveland-browns-austin-pasztor-excelling-at-pass-protection/3/

LOL Tour- according to the departed Ghoolie, they're all a bunch of dime a dozen unskilled fatasses. This technical stuff is a mile over his head. BTW, talked to Z at the Cavs game tonight- he's never coming back, so rest easy.

Then the Ravens and the pats need to sign Danny Devito ASAP.... ;)

What's your definition of "stop"?

Stop..Joe Peshi & Mona Lisa Veto reign in Pats pressers forever, Ask Bill :P Devito your going to Baldiehoar

Before the season started I ranted on about how this team needs to be able to stop the run. Danny Divito could get 100+ yards on us.

Dude....stop the run schmop the run....everyone knows when you have the worst run defense....or plain old worst defense(period)....in the entire league....the smart plan is to wait on drafting top level DL and LB's and, instead, rebuild the WR corps first....cause WR's are the PRIMARY element to rebuilding a team from scratch....draft em and build around em... ;)

and, since those WR's will improve your D immediately, the next step is to cut all your defensive starters and play their back ups......

works every time.....

Dude....stop the run schmop the run....everyone knows when you have the worst run defense....or plain old worst defense(period)....in the entire league....the smart plan is to wait on drafting top level DL and LB's and, instead, rebuild the WR corps first....cause WR's are the PRIMARY element to rebuilding a team from scratch....draft em and build around em... ;)

and, since those WR's will improve your D immediately, the next step is to cut all your defensive starters and play their back ups......

works every time.....

Cool post, because taking 3 front 7 players in the first round of 2015 totally made our run defense AWESOME! But you didn't have the sarcastic ahole comments about that one of course. Pettine was in charge.

Cool post, because taking 3 front 7 players in the first round of 2015 totally made our run defense AWESOME! But you didn't have the sarcastic ahole comments about that one of course. Pettine was in charge.

DON'T you DARE call Mud sarcastic...

I wasnt aware that we drafted 3 front seven players in last years first round....musta been a different draft I watched....

Nor was I aware that Pettine drafted people(thought it was Farmer)(and Jimmah on the Manziel fiasco)....

All I know is that the first 6 players drafted last season are all starters this season.....and our best young "core" players are Bito, Kirksey, Crow, Duke, Shelton, Campbell, Pryor and Orchard....where'd they come from?

Yeah...Erving....he sucks.....but sashi seems unable to find a center better than terrible....

DON'T you DARE call Mud sarcastic...

No doubt....the nerve....(he strikes).................everytime......

I wasnt aware that we drafted 3 front seven players in last years first round....musta been a different draft I watched....

Nor was I aware that Pettine drafted people(thought it was Farmer)(and Jimmah on the Manziel fiasco)....

All I know is that the first 6 players drafted last season are all starters this season.....and our best young "core" players are Bito, Kirksey, Crow, Duke, Shelton, Campbell, Pryor and Orchard....where'd they come from?

Yeah...Erving....he sucks.....but sashi seems unable to find a center better than terrible....

No doubt....the nerve....(he strikes).................everytime......

Apologies. The first two rounds. Massive difference, I guess. You loved everything associated with Pettine. Your bitterness over his firing oozes into every post. I like the players you listed too. I liked Farmer, but unlike you, I can let it go and like Sashi too.

Archived