THE BROWNS BOARD

Hopes, dreams and fears for games 9-16

gftChris

Agree with much of your full post... less so in its closing paragraph.

While it's true Cam is tall for a Center, regardless of where you play on the OL "explosion" out of a stance is a requirement of the position and Cam does not have it. Wherever you put him on the line the D will adjust and expose him. This is what I said during his stint at OG last season. And when I reviewed his limited tape at Center at LSU, it was clear that he had issues whenever a DL covered him. This is why I laughed when folks said he'd be fine once moved to Center, his "natural" position. And it is not as if there have not been successful, tall interior OL in the league.

As for OT... no, just no. He does not have the feet for PassPro. That was clear on his LSU tape... on a lot more tape than had him at Center. His only chance is in the "phone booth" and even in there his reaction to stunts, any quick rush is woeful. Put him on the edge and as a DC I overpower him with big DEs on early downs and run around him in passing situations. He simply cannot be hidden.

Might he improve? Sure... but even vs. other OL prospects on our roster, I do not like his odds.

I haven't looked at film outside of Browns games so I will certainly defer to you on that. I hoped he may be able to generate more explosion out of OT but it sounds like a long shot. I do know Hue is thinking about trying him at OT. The season is shot so may as well give him that one last shot before you show him the door.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/11/hue_jackson_says_if_cam_erving.html

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived