THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Ravens Thursday Night Football Game Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, more like, The Browns Suck!

Yeah, we're here for the long haul, but this is a truly epic level of suckitude.

Hueless is no Tito!

Pulls his starting pitcher who's having a semi-decent game, goes to the bullpen to have McCown totally blow the game. Shades of Hargrove in Game 7 against the Marlins when he pulls his hot setup guys and brings in Jose Make-a-mess-a. When he wasn't throwing interceptions, old Josh was standing back there like a pinata waiting for the Ravens to cream him. The TO on the first offensive play was just special too. THAT is on the coaches.

HAHAHAHA, Still think the TANK isn't in play Tour?

Yup... still don't.

Baseball move?

Relief pitcher...

In retrospect the writing was on the wall when Hue said last week it was a QB's job "to win the game". Seemed odd at the time on a number of levels, but I didn't translate it to "short leash".

As it turned out Kess was in for the 1st "drive" of the 2nd half... went 3 and out... BLT took the lead... and Kess, no longer winning, got yanked.

Yup... still don't.

Relief pitcher...

In retrospect the writing was on the wall when Hue said last week it was a QB's job "to win the game". Seemed odd at the time on a number of levels, but I didn't translate it to "short leash".

As it turned out Kess was in for the 1st "drive" of the 2nd half... went 3 and out... BLT took the lead... and Kess, no longer winning, got yanked.

OK, some honest musings Tour. Yup- teams don't tank- on purpose. Those guys are professionals, have pride and play as hard as they can.

Now, regarding Hue- he had his "conviction" the team needed a "spark". I hope he realizes his spark got put out by an industrial grade fire extinguisher in McCown. Seriously- if he had put Hogan in, instead- could he possibly have done any worse? As they say about convictions- "if you listen to the fans in the stands, pretty soon you're going to be sitting there with them. "

Now something we haven't brought up to date yet- I think. The old thing about halftime adjustments. How many times have we had the lead going into the third quarter, and then gotten beat? Not just beat, but creamed? I'm not going to go back and count, but IIRC it's a LOT. That many- you can't put the blame on inexperience, or certainly not lack of conditioning, as the Browns are the youngest team in the league. That points the finger directly at the coaching staff for making piss-poor halftime adjustments, no? I'll appreciate your thoughts. :)

So about the only thing to do is bash the Stools and their fans. At least I can vent some on them too.

And for the life of me, I can't see anything that would lead to a SB contending team in 5 years without a big dose of blind luck. The expansion year was more fun and a way better team than this one. And how many times have we said that we can only go up from here and fall deeper yet. And from what I've heard is that RG3 is about ready to return. And he may play. Maybe he gets it this time.....lol

OK, some honest musings Tour. Yup- teams don't tank- on purpose. Those guys are professionals, have pride and play as hard as they can.

Now, regarding Hue- he had his "conviction" the team needed a "spark". I hope he realizes his spark got put out by an industrial grade fire extinguisher in McCown. Seriously- if he had put Hogan in, instead- could he possibly have done any worse? As they say about convictions- "if you listen to the fans in the stands, pretty soon you're going to be sitting there with them. "

Now something we haven't brought up to date yet- I think. The old thing about halftime adjustments. How many times have we had the lead going into the third quarter, and then gotten beat? Not just beat, but creamed? I'm not going to go back and count, but IIRC it's a LOT. That many- you can't put the blame on inexperience, or certainly not lack of conditioning, as the Browns are the youngest team in the league. That points the finger directly at the coaching staff for making piss-poor halftime adjustments, no? I'll appreciate your thoughts. :)

As if you had to ask.... :P

First thought: I am crestfallen to even consider that you have ever not been honest with me...

Second thought: (This guy still owes me a photo of a wine label...)

Third thought... now that the road is clear... and I had not thought of this until just now...

When you are as limited as we are on Offense, what "adjustments" can you make? How easy is it for the opponent's D to take away the little bit that has worked for us in the 1st half?

When you are as vulnerable as we are on Defense, how many opportunities are there for the opponent to exploit?

I will even go so far (since I'm on a self-perceived role) to say that there may be opponents that know how to attack us from tape, but keep much of that plan hidden for a half.

Hey... it worked for the 4077th... "Did you remember to press the bet, Henry?"

Maybe more thoughts later, but going out to dinner...

When you are as limited as we are on Offense, what "adjustments" can you make? How easy is it for the opponent's D to take away the little bit that has worked for us in the 1st half?

When you are as vulnerable as we are on Defense, how many opportunities are there for the opponent to exploit?

Maybe more thoughts later, but going out to dinner...

Having thought about this and the second half collapses.....and trying to be fair to Hues limited resources...I agree with you that its not really poor half time adjustments, more than no real options with the available talent...

The better first halves could be a sign of strong game planning, that eventually gets adjust to, and beaten......and because the other teams talent is more adaptable, they will usually have the advantage.....and, eventually, win....

What about game planning and half time adjustments? We get killed on that week in and out.

Like I said above....game planning could be reflected in our strong first half play.....which is where most of that would show up....

Adjustments are gonna be harder, since it's us planning against them.....

Good teams come at you with their game and challenge you to stop them......they dont adjust to bad teams...

Bad teams(thats us, btw) can not come at you the same way.....we HAVE to game plan for each team and try to find their weakness.....sometimes it isnt enough.....and to adjust to beat MUCH better talent, just isnt something bad teams are capable of doing.....

We get killed....week in and out.....because of talent.....talent......talent....

Why is this so hard to see????

If you see a movie and all the actors suck.....do you think it's the directors fault?.....or is the casting guy?

If you see a movie and all the actors suck.....do you think it's the directors fault?.....or is the casting guy?

Or at least let our B grade team succeed like that B grade movie "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" :P

If you're in a horror movie you switch to the 37 y.o. QB. It's what you do. :lol:

Like I said above....game planning could be reflected in our strong first half play.....which is where most of that would show up....

Adjustments are gonna be harder, since it's us planning against them.....

Good teams come at you with their game and challenge you to stop them......they dont adjust to bad teams...

Bad teams(thats us, btw) can not come at you the same way.....we HAVE to game plan for each team and try to find their weakness.....sometimes it isnt enough.....and to adjust to beat MUCH better talent, just isnt something bad teams are capable of doing.....

We get killed....week in and out.....because of talent.....talent......talent....

Why is this so hard to see????

So we can stand with a team and have the lead at halftime or 3rd qtr but can't change planning or formations at halftime? I don't buy it. We can grab the lead with our talent but can't finish? Maybe better adjustments than going with a proven loser? Maybe try something different in blocking? These guys are supposed to be pros. They adjust in college too. But can't here?

So we can stand with a team and have the lead at halftime or 3rd qtr but can't change planning or formations at halftime?

If we are winning at the half or leading in the third, are we supposed to be changing what we are doing?....wouldnt that be counter productive?

We can grab the lead with our talent but can't finish?

Correct. We are losing because the other teams have better players....not because they make better adjustments.....

Maybe better adjustments than going with a proven loser?

If we are even or leading to that point, how would the game plan be a proven loser?

Maybe try something different in blocking?

I think we do.....plus more.....like switch QB's mid game, mix up talent, use weird formations, run the Pryordogg, etc......but, all with limited talent and virtually no experience at key positions.....again, 2 teams adjusting.....one has a bunch of raw kids and the other has more talented AND experienced players.....who SHOULD win?

These guys are supposed to be pros.

1st and 2nd year pro's, that is.....against teams averaging 4-5-6 year pros.....

They adjust in college too.

Yep....and the better more talented team usually wins too.....

But can't here?

We do adjust......but it'll take a HUGE adjustment in the "talent" and experience department, before we start winning(and that wont happen at half time)

I would point to Collins game the other night.......he was used immediately to run stunts, etc and had a number of big plays/sacks?etc...but, eventually, the other team was able to key on him and shut it down......and Horty doesnt have another skill guy to overcome that adjustment....see?....coach uses only good player and succeeds early, other team takes away said good player as game progresses, coach has not another good player to turn to, other team wins......

Another example....how about Hogan rushing for a 100 yards one week?.....Hue saw that coming?.....not me....nor the other team.....that was something else....

Has it happened since?......nope.....has Hue tried it again?.....yep......did the other teams learn and adjust?......yep......will Hogan ever rush for 100 yards again?......nope

So....in a nutshell.....that was a good game plan, that no one saw coming.....and it worked well....but the other teams adjusted and then we lost....

i don't know why but if there were some disclosure from above i might feel better about this. i know a team can't come out and say that they're tanking, but where's someone other than hue and his pre-rehearsed pressers standing up and speaking to the fans? sashi? haslam? fuckin say something.

the higher ups always come out as befuddled or surprised when they see fans with pitchforks and lit torches strolling towards their houses, yet a couple of well conceived words on a megaphone could quell the beast.

​the draft next year is gonna be make or break for me cuz if they went for developmental players this year…..they got a lot of them. next year better be a truck load of #1 grade A prime blue ribbon stud beef. (hello, frisco!!)

Or at least let our B grade team succeed like that B grade movie "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" :P

If you're in a horror movie you switch to the 37 y.o. QB. It's what you do. :lol:

Holy bringing-disparate-thoughts-together, Batman!

Well done, Ag...

One thing I noticed is a lot of Ogbah at 3-4 DE with Collins outside him. I like it. I'm not quite so keen on seeing Nassib/Schobert on the other side, or whoever it is.

Joe Haden looks slow. He had a PBU early on, but only because the ball was underthrown. He doesn't seem able to cover the better receivers around. Maybe it's injury related, but even so, we need him to be healthy, and he's not very.

It looks like he's expecting help from Erving, but he shouldn't be - the right side of the line is basically manned up, three-on-three.

Inexperience of a day 3 rookie guard who used to play tackle.

Yep, a bad play for sure. I'm surprised Hue Jackson didn't say, "I expect the QB to win the game! Josh needs to break that tackle and throw the ball 80 yards in the air for a touchdown. That's what I expect!"

It looks like he's expecting help from Erving, but he shouldn't be - the right side of the line is basically manned up, three-on-three.

Inexperience of a day 3 rookie guard who used to play tackle.

Not knowing the line call, we can't be sure of that.

With two of the four defenders on the right side sprinting into coverage only one OL ended up unoccupied... Cam.

It has been well established on tape that Cam chases movement away from him... that he only slid right here is actually encouraging. I have seen him hopelessly (and haplessly) chase looping defenders by running across the face of our other OL. Opponents game-plan this propensity and this is an example.

Is Drango faultless? No, and I say that knowing that this was a tough match up with a quicker, lighter (275) Smith who swam him as soon as he planted... which he was the only one to do. Makes me think he missed the call, but I can't be sure.

So someone between Drango and Cam missed the line call here. I'm pretty sure the OL Coach knows who it was.

Archived