THE BROWNS BOARD

Remembering the riots across the country when Obama won in 08 and 12

OldBrownsFan

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone protest?

Actually there were many... the local Teaparty here sponsored a few. A lot of "Take our country back" speechifyin' about an illegal president and such... Not so much ambulating, old folks ya know.

Wasn't there a big one planned for DC that fell flat?

Right now some in California are getting a petition to secede from the U.S. I would be all for it.

With no consideration to the debt impact?

Violence does nothing to further any protest. Protestors know this. But there are those that join in who do not care at all about the Protest's cause, but simply see a herd in which they feel safe acting out.

The protest was mostly peaceful until demonstrators met with an anarchist group, after which demonstrators vandalized buildings, kicked cars and knocked out power, KGW-TV reported.

On Twitter, Portland police said many protesters were "trying to get anarchist groups to stop destroying property" and that "anarchists" were refusing to do so. Demonstrators repeatedly chanted "peaceful protest."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/11/11/anti-trump-protesters-pepper-sprayed-demonstrations-erupt-across-us/93633154/

You can't paint with a broad brush, people... well you can, but you just end up getting paint on you.

Here's one today at THE OSU where the "violence" was in the form of an attack on a protestor...

At an anti-Trump rally inside the Student Union on Ohio State's campus in Columbus, student journalists captured video of a man tackling a protester from behind on a staircase Monday evening.

Ohio State's student newspaper The Lantern taped an unidentified man jumping on top of Tim Joseph. As he tackled the protester, the man was heard yelling "you idiot" before they tumbled to the floor. The man was then wrestled to the ground by other protesters as police moved in.

The man was arrested by campus police. Charges are unknown as of early Monday evening.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/national/anti-trump-rally-at-ohio-state-turns-violent

I have a problem with the idea that "peaceful" protests are fine.

They are not. These leftist loser slugs of society can bloack highways.

Now, that isn't "violent", but that is pretty much the taking of hostages

against their will, keeping them from their freedom to go where they want to go.

What if it's an ambulance with a heart attack victim? What if it's an important trip

to the hospital for surgery or a birth? etc etcetc.

The arrogance that it's okay to take an entire highway of cars and people hostage

until the payoff of national attention is a violation of the hostages' civil rights.

If bankrobbers keep a lot of people locked up in a bank, or terrorists keep students in a school

hostage...

what is the difference with rioters taking who knows how many people in a lot of cars hostage and the above?

Not much, says I.

Violence does nothing to further any protest. Protestors know this. But there are those that join in who do not care at all about the Protest's cause, but simply see a herd in which they

"I went down to the demonstration to get my fair share of abuse"

It is the herd mentality.

People, especially young people, like to be assholes and feel more comfortable being assholes in a group.

But keep it up Lefties. Can't think of a better reason for another 8 year president.

WSS

"I went down to the demonstration to get my fair share of abuse"

It is the herd mentality.

People, especially young people, like to be assholes and feel more comfortable being assholes in a group.

But keep it up Lefties. Can't think of a better reason for another 8 year president.

WSS

I bristle at that categorisation - people of all ages feel more comfortable being assholes in a group, and older people feel more comfortable being assholes in my experience.

I have a problem with the idea that "peaceful" protests are fine.

They are not. These leftist loser slugs of society can bloack highways.

Now, that isn't "violent", but that is pretty much the taking of hostages

against their will, keeping them from their freedom to go where they want to go.

What if it's an ambulance with a heart attack victim? What if it's an important trip

to the hospital for surgery or a birth? etc etcetc.

The arrogance that it's okay to take an entire highway of cars and people hostage

until the payoff of national attention is a violation of the hostages' civil rights.

If bankrobbers keep a lot of people locked up in a bank, or terrorists keep students in a school

hostage...

what is the difference with rioters taking who knows how many people in a lot of cars hostage and the above?

Not much, says I.

The blocking the highways thing always pissed me off. I don't think the protesters realize that they are only alienating people who are on the fence. Keeping some people living pay check to pay check from getting to work on time does not endear them to your cause. That isn't even taking into the account the emergencies that can occur that are time sensitive. If my wife was having a medical emergency, I would be punching the gas and hoping hipsters know how to tuck and roll.

I bristle at that categorisation - people of all ages feel more comfortable being assholes in a group, and older people feel more comfortable being assholes in my experience.

Bristle all you want amigo but would you guess the mean age of the protesters or rioters depending on your definition might be? I don't have any numbers I would guess they are younger where you always find protesters.

Oh there are a few silly tea party rallies with middle-aged people wearing funny hats but that's about it. Broken windows throwing rocks and bottles at the police, well I don't think most of those are octogenarians.

:)

WSS

Protesting is not the same as being an asshole though, is it? Rioting, sure, and anybody who actually riots, going on a spree of wanton vandalism, they're not protesting shit. They're thinking they can do what they like without repercussions under the guise of a protest. Maybe they started out protesting and couldn't control their rage. Either way, not part of the political process.

As to the age thing - perhaps it's the age difference in democrats vs republicans? Old people less able to go and walk around? I'm kidding, of course.

If you go back throughout time, I'm willing to bet the majority of protesters are young people, those who have not been brought up in a system and are rejecting it. Be it the million man march, gay pride, suffragettes, whatever. Just a hunch, I'm willing to be proven wrong.

In terms of everyday assholery though, which is what I thought you were talking about, when people of all ages get together they often become assholes. And to be honest, it's usually men. The 'banter' or 'locker room talk' is just a way of saying 'we're all assholes to each other but it's fine because we're friends' and 'we compete to see who is the biggest asshole because that person deserves our respect'.

Well your first paragraph as close to the truth but still I maintain protesting is akin to assholery.

Besides breaking car windows throwing rocks at the police etc etc if you can feed my, or any normal human beings, ability to go to work the store to school the hospital whatever it might be you are necessarily being an asshole. I don't care if it's Pro Trump Pro Hillary Pro Jesus or Pro Nazi party. And call it herd mentality or mob rule, or just safety in numbers from the sideline that's how I categorize it.

WSS

Plus I think you went off on a tangent trying to link locker room talk with public protest. But I think I understand why you did it.

WSS

Not really, I'm saying being an assailed is one thing, rioting is another, and peaceful protests are neither.

Not really, I'm saying being an assailed is one thing, rioting is another, and peaceful protests are neither.

I'm tempted to just say rubbish and be done with it but at what point does your peaceful protest become a pain in someone's ass? Should people be denied free movement through the streets at any point?

WSS

I'm tempted to just say rubbish and be done with it but at what point does your peaceful protest become a pain in someone's ass? Should people be denied free movement through the streets at any point?

WSS

Heaven forbid people be inconvenienced by those trying to point out injustices, right?

WSS

Heaven forbid people be inconvenienced by those trying to point out injustices, right?

I'm sure if a trump or brexitt or KKK rally spread out into the street and he had to take the day off work or an ambulance couldn't get through he'd be good with that. You know rights and all.

But hey when I see looting burning down buildings smashing cars and assaulting g the police I always think to myself 'hey maybe these people actually have a good point. I should join them.'

WSS

And what has peaceful assembly that didn't at some point inconvenience people achieved? I'm not saying every inconvenient protest is worthy, but it's sometimes necessary to get shit done.

TIL: Republicans voted for the suffrage bill, dems against in 1915. Fun fact.

BTW logic - you seen this 'ape in heels' business? It's from WV, mrs logic is black iirc, various other things connected to you probably...is it getting much attention over there? Or people be like 'haha, damn straight! wait, what's the problem?'

I'm pretty sure the constitution disagrees with that, but then what do I know, I'm only british after all.

I'm pretty sure you have no idea of what you speak. I was referring to the idea that when

protests don't result in fighting, etc, they are fine. "peaceful" was sarcastic as a criteria for

being "acceptable". And I explained why being jammed up in traffic because infantile

pants-wetting, spoiled, wimpy, paid-by-soros money to raise hell dregs of society want

to get on the news without getting tear-gassed.

If you need some time to read and understand before you post some glib emotional knee jerk,

you are welcome to take that time.

I'm sure if a trump or brexitt or KKK rally spread out into the street and he had to take the day off work or an ambulance couldn't get through he'd be good with that. You know rights and all.

But hey when I see looting burning down buildings smashing cars and assaulting g the police I always think to myself 'hey maybe these people actually have a good point. I should join them.'

WSS

YEP.

The blocking the highways thing always pissed me off. I don't think the protesters realize that they are only alienating people who are on the fence. Keeping some people living pay check to pay check from getting to work on time does not endear them to your cause. That isn't even taking into the account the emergencies that can occur that are time sensitive. If my wife was having a medical emergency, I would be punching the gas and hoping hipsters know how to tuck and roll.

I went and picked up a date to go out to a movie and dinner one night at Kent. It was a year after the famous May 4th incident, 1971.

Driving back through the streets of downtown Kent, a giant rally converged into the street, trapping a lot of traffic.

Our cars were hammered on, rocked til you thought they were going to tip over, beat with beer cans etc, people

were jumping up and down on our cars, some things on fire were thrown against the buildings,

until we all were blowing our horns and the car in front of me, in the front, revved up his GTO and popped

the clutch and lurched forward, the moron protesters scattered, and we all took off. He lurched forward because

they had opened his car door wide open. WTF did WE do to have to be "inconvenienced", Chris?

It's okay as long as they are protesting according to YOUR political biases?

but Chris would have liked them - because they didn't "hurt anybody and inconvience is fine by him"

Archived