THE BROWNS BOARD

Why McCown for Kessler

LondonBrown

Was listening to CBD earlier this week and here is my best guess as to why Hue pulled Kessler. He met with Kessler this week to tell him he needs to stop ignoring downfield plays that are open. Apparently Kessler continued to do so last night so he pulled him to drive the message home. We won't know if it was the right decision for Kessler's future until next game.

Yep, I read that Hue "was tired of seeing plays being missed".

Also, I watched the Network's post game show with Steve Smith, and both Irvin and Faulk started to laugh uncontrollably (like when in church type laugh) when Rich said that during the game, "they both noted the lack of velocity on the ball on the out routes"..... It was uncomfortable to watch.

First I was pissed that they would have the unprofessionalism to laugh at a fellow player, but once that wore off, it sank in that what those two HoFs saw live and in person, must have been so noticeably weak from what they expect to see from a starting NFL QB, that it just made them laugh...... Not a warm and fuzzy thought.

Kess's arm strength will not improve with coaching..... sorry it just wont. You can either throw a 96mph fastball, or you can't.

Also, I watched the Network's post game show with Steve Smith, and both Irvin and Faulk started to laugh uncontrollably (like when in church type laugh) when Rich said that during the game, "they both noted the lack of velocity on the ball on the out routes"..... It was uncomfortable to watch.

First I was pissed that they would have the unprofessionalism to laugh at a fellow player, but once that wore off, it sank in that what those two HoFs saw live and in person, must have been so noticeably weak from what they expect to see from a starting NFL QB, that it just made them laugh...... Not a warm and fuzzy thought.

Kess's arm strength will not improve with coaching..... sorry it just wont. You can either throw a 96mph fastball, or you can't.

The North Carolina/Duke game was on last night at the same time as the Browns. I switched over at time during commercials etc. to try to catch Tribisky. The zing on his arm compared to Kessler seemed night and day.

Of course it doesn't improve with coaching. It improves with footwork and strength training.

Of course it doesn't improve with coaching. It improves with footwork and strength training.

Sorry brother, it just doesn't. No footwork or strength training is going to turn him into Elway..... Tebow is one of the most yoked QBs on the planet and all his muscle strength couldn't help him throw the ball without a punt like arc trail following the ball.

And BTW, improving footwork comes from coaching. ;)

Forgive my stupidity but aren't the balls different? The ncaa ball is smaller right?

I don't know about that. I don't really think so. I know that the kicking balls are different.

But, here is what I found on the internet:

An NFL football will measure 11" long with a 22" circumference at the midway point. Unless it is being used by the Patriots (joke Pats fans, joke), the air pressure should be between 12-1/2 psi and 13-1/2 psi.

A college ball (D1) will be just slightly smaller (1/2" in length and 1" circumference).

While the NFL ball is only slightly larger, it still seems to play a part in the drafting of QBs. Hand size is scrutinized as much as anything. As we learned from the 'deflate-gate' issue, grip is very important in NFL footballs and in hand jobs.

College, or NCAA, footballs are the same size as what players find in high school. The NFL plays with a larger ball. The size difference isn't much, but does make a difference in the field of play.

So, I guess there IS a difference that I was not aware of.

Tiam said:

"Kess bailed early a couple times and looked rattled. Hindsight might be one thing but at the time bringing in the vet while you settled down the rookie isn't a terrible move. "

and he is correct. Kessler ate a few sacks when he could have thrown it away, and had trouble getting the ball downfield except on the TD.

The first two turnovers - Joe Thomas took his guy around the back of the pocket, and McCown never stepped up into it, and got his arm slapped while throwing. There was a nice little area to step up in, but he stayed back. That is not good.

Putting McCown in, with his experience, was not a bad thing. It just didn't make any difference.

But laying back so far off the receivers... come on. Nobody else plays the Browns wr's like that.

Really good analysis... and your last line "sparked" a thought...

In Kess' last series, when he threw the "dangerous lateral" that Collingsworth went on about, I think that was the last straw. It was a dangerous throw by a QB did not see that the CB seen playing off pre-snap had closed the gap post snap. I'd said Kess looked "a beat slow" all nite in The Tavern and this was not processed at all.

Clearly Hue did not put McC expecting him to fail as he did. Those who now say they did expect his failure don't remember how he looked last year.

I'll be the first to admit that Kess didn't look as good last night as he has in his prior games, and I'm betting Baltimore's defense had a lot to do with that. Unless my memory is letting me down, when Hue benched the kid, it was a 13-7 game.

What better game situation than on the road, in a nationally televised game, against one of your most hated rivals, to let the kid grow up and work through whatever was happening last night?

If the Browns were battling for 1st place, then hell yea, do what you can to get the win, but you don't do it when you're possibly the NFL's worst team ever, and you're specifically looking for a QB of the future..... Bad, bad game day coaching decision and there is no justification for it.

Like I said last night in the Tavern, if I'm a player in that locker room, I will no longer believe a thing Hue says.

Im gonna avoid jumping on Hue, other than to say I see LOTS of questionable things and calls during games...but they aren;t the reason we are losing.....

On the flip side, however, he is trying everything he can, cause his team sucks so bad......mixing things up.....which sometimes can go bad and hurt as much as it helps....but if ever there was a team that needed desperate measures, this is it.....

and..."IF" McCown had killed it and won the game....then Hue would be a genius, right?......just a coaches call that didnt work out....

and....PLEASE.....for the love of god.....lets not fire anyone else because of the bad talent.....AND....if we do, let it NOT be the coaches.....

^Play calls or Officials' calls???

One last thought... none of us could know in real time, and few likely know now, what Kess was missing/not seeing downfield during his time in the game. Takes an all-22 to know that.

Impressions, like mine that he seemed beat slow, are just that... impressions. A couple days removed I am hard pressed to think of a shot downfield Kess took aside from the TD to Devalve. Contrast that with the shots McC either took, or tried to take. I can think of at least three. For different reasons none worked out, but they were attempted.

It could be that the spark Hue was looking for was simply aggressiveness...

^Play calls or Officials' calls???

One last thought... none of us could know in real time, and few likely know now, what Kess was missing/not seeing downfield during his time in the game. Takes an all-22 to know that.

Impressions, like mine that he seemed beat slow, are just that... impressions. A couple days removed I am hard pressed to think of a shot downfield Kess took aside from the TD to Devalve. Contrast that with the shots McC either took, or tried to take. I can think of at least three. For different reasons none worked out, but they were attempted.

It could be that the spark Hue was looking for was simply aggressiveness...

Mostly play calls.....not trying to beat on Hue, but cant say Ive seen a well coached team....on any level....

In re to Kessler......Hue specifically called out a lack of aggressiveness.....and said Kess was leaving plays on the field.....

My take was that Kess was playing it safe....checking down almost every play......and not seeing the field well......

He just looks kind of slow......and looks like he processes things slowly as well.....Weedenish, but maybe not quite as bad....and, I think, Hue pulling him from the game happened when he just had enough.....(meaning it had been chewing on him for a while)......

Sadly....as much as I want Defense......Im afraid the Browns will plan to spend ANOTHER high pick on QB in 2017 .....

Weedenish, but maybe not quite as bad....

Sadly....as much as I want Defense......Im afraid the Browns will plan to spend ANOTHER high pick on QB in 2017 .....

Wheezy was the embodiment of "does not compute", the "lead head" standard... I honestly don't see Kess near him. That said...

Yup... as high as #1 overall...

Archived