THE BROWNS BOARD

Vick has been offered a contract...

Timugen

New York arena team offers Vick a contract

Tue Apr 28, 1:14 PM EDT

Michael Vick has a place on a minor league football team if he can get reinstated by the NFL.

The Albany Firebirds, an arenafootball2 franchise, have offered the 28-year-old quarterback a one-year contract at the league standard: $200 a week plus a $50 bonus for a win.

Vick quarterbacked the Atlanta Falcons for six seasons before being convicted of bankrolling an interstate dog fighting business.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has not said if he will lift Vick's suspension after he completes a 23-month prison sentence. Vick goes from federal prison to home confinement next month.

The Firebirds' contract offer requires that Vick donate $100,000 to a local humane society.

A call to Vick's agent was not immediately returned.

The Associated Press

:lol:

I see that troubles continue to dog him.

Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert!

funny-pictures-clownfish-anenome-enemy.jpg

Haha, they now say they don't want him.

--------------------------------------------------

Owner Of Indoor Team Says He Doesn’t Want Vick

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2009, 7:19 a.m.

Word began to circulate Tuesday of something we didn’t mention because we regarded it as a minor league baseball-style publicity stunt.

And it was.

But now it’s becoming humorous.

The Albany Firebirds of the junior version of the Arena Football League (which is playing this year despite the AFL’s hiatus) offered Vick a job. But it was contingent on Vick’s reinstatement to the NFL and a $100,000 donation to the local chapter of the Humane Society.

And he would have been paid only $200 per game, with a $50 bonus for each win.

So, basically, Vick would have had to play 400 games to break even — if his team won each of them.

But somebody didn’t bother to clear the offer with the owner.

“I’m a dog lover and I don’t want anything to do with [Vick],” Albany Firebirds owner Walter Robb said.

Thus, the offer has been yanked from the team’s web site. (And we’ve added the Firebirds to our Anti-Vick list.)

“The process wasn’t thought through properly,” G.M. Garen Szablewski said. “The right hand didn’t know what the left hand was doing.”

Szablewski had better be more careful going forward, or he’ll be holding a block of government cheese with his left hand, and cutting it with his right.

hmmm lets see...donate 100.000 to charity yet only make a possible 250.00 a week....mathematically and financially it just doesnt seem fair...Yes as heinouse a crime it was He paid his debt...Everyone derseves a shot to redeem themselves...I wish the young Man luck.

hmmm lets see...donate 100.000 to charity yet only make a possible 250.00 a week....mathematically and financially it just doesnt seem fair...Yes as heinouse a crime it was He paid his debt...Everyone derseves a shot to redeem themselves...I wish the young Man luck.

and here i took you as a dawg lover all these years Nick. ;)

IMO he can have an opportunity to earn a living but anyone high-profile that has anything to do w/ him i'll boycott for life. he's a PR nightmare and any business that sells out and puts him before morality should get what's coming to them.

he could still be a pit-bull breeder, maybe even the best in the world. that could be pretty lucrative and a good way to go. i'd buy a dog from him, if everything was on the up and up.

Im sick of the whole "morality" thing. I really am. Morals should apply to you singly. What I mean by this, is that we should all hold ourselves to our own morals and stop forcing others to live by ours. Mike Vick served his time, he took his punishment, he is now a free man. Just like you and me.

and here i took you as a dawg lover all these years Nick. ;)

IMO he can have an opportunity to earn a living but anyone high-profile that has anything to do w/ him i'll boycott for life. he's a PR nightmare and any business that sells out and puts him before morality should get what's coming to them.

he could still be a pit-bull breeder, maybe even the best in the world. that could be pretty lucrative and a good way to go. i'd buy a dog from him, if everything was on the up and up.

Im not condoning what he did...however...put yoursel in his shoes and know the embrarrassment he put himself and his family through...If you worked hard and wated so bad to make things right...wouldnt you yourslf want a second chance?

Im not condoning what he did...however...put yoursel in his shoes and know the embrarrassment he put himself and his family through...If you worked hard and wated so bad to make things right...wouldnt you yourslf want a second chance?

by supporting a product that benefits from him personally you in effect are condoning his actions IMO, but i'm not like everyone you might meet on the street.

let's watch him and see if he feels bad first before we consider him "reformed".

Im sick of the whole "morality" thing. I really am. Morals should apply to you singly. What I mean by this, is that we should all hold ourselves to our own morals and stop forcing others to live by ours. Mike Vick served his time, he took his punishment, he is now a free man. Just like you and me.

not when you run a business, then your moral code applies to your entire organization. it is a single entity and their "moral umbrella" covers many.

i wasn't ushering anyone to follow suit behind me, just saying what i'd do, and it's well within my perogative to boycott something for life if i choose to. one possible difference between us PGL might be that i'm not a humanist, as in human elitist. i respect life in all forms, and view the value of all life forms fairly evenly, including plants, bugs, and animals. i understand the sacrifices that must be made for humanity and the endless destruction left in all our wakes and attempt to limit that as much as feasibly possible. but i'm still a selfish human too, just some things are totally unnecessary. now if i held others to this code you'd no doubt be hearing me preach about this all the time, and you never have.

fuk Michael Vick, the decisions he's made are some of the worst transgressions against nature i've heard about from a pro athlete in a long time. to translate it into a humanist language, it's like hosting a pedophile rape-athon.

Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert! Awesome pun alert!

funny-pictures-clownfish-anenome-enemy.jpg

Maybe he just needs someone to shepherd him through life, and if arena football won't throw him a bone or the NFL makes him sit, maybe he could have a career as a boxer.... I bet he'd be a holy terrier in the ring.

There you go, five Michael Vick puns in one (run-on) sentence. (pant, pant) Exhausted from the Herculean mental effort, must get beer........

I've resigned myself to the possibility that there are those in the NFL who would want him back. I hate the possibility, but it is there.

Morality or no, ask your boss if he would hire you back if you were convicted of a felony. Unless you are self-employed I'm guessing the answer would be 'very unlikely'.

Why is it that we are so forgiving of our 'entertainers' but not of others? Why do 'normal' convicted felons face discrimination and a such a serious lack of job opportunities that many of them return to their lives of crime? Were they just not 'rehabilitated'? If not, how can we assume Vick is (he was part of the same system)?

If the Browns even think about signing him, it would literally break my heart. I'd have to go be a bandwagon fan of some other (as yet un-named) team.

I would like to expound on this even though technically it should be in the Political Forum but I avoid that place like The Plague. A huge problem in our society is a felon's lack of ability to get a decent job upon release from prison and thereafter. Factor into that background checks etc. are getting more and more extreme and common and you have a no win type of environment already created for someone who screws up. In essence we're telling our "reformed" felons tough shit make the best of it but you better stay out of trouble. This is ridiculous and just begs for guys to go right back into the system and stay there. Then factor in stupid shit like 3 strikes and you're out and it even gets crazier. People are going to do what they have to to survive, and the fact you are brandished from ever being able to get a real job (even after reformation) from a felony is stupid and only feeds the fire.

However, even a total scumfag like Vick will have another opportunity to make six figures based on the fact he's a gifted celebrity. Sure, he's paid some prices by losing millions, but the normal felon never had much to begin with. It's pretty ridiculous actually, and Spect there are plenty of choads in the NFL but keep in mind there are a ton of players and it is really nothing more than a microcosm of society, albeit a spoiled and rich one.

How many employers out there do you think would knowingly hire a national dog fighting frontman to work for them if he's a normal guy? Honestly try to answer that one.

I personally hope Vick goes really bankrupt and ends up starving on the street like Tyson will. He and Marcus will be slinging soon until they got popped cuz they're morons and I'll laugh my ass off. What Vick has is deep down in his soul, he'll never be legitimately reformed cuz he's not wired that way.What he makes when someone caves in and gives him a contract will be blown shortly.

I liked what Goodell said on Mike and Mike. He didn't really care that Vick lied to him, he wants to know where this guy stands now and how accountable he is. Vick has some serious ass kissing to do and will have to put on a helluva an act, but I still won't buy any of it cuz I know what he is deep down. That ain't going to change just cuz he went to prison for a minute and had some consequences to his actions.

Evidently, Vick has other employment offers as well.

I've heard reports that there is a certain magazine looking to make a comeback, but they need a recognizable face to lead their promotional blitz and they think that Vick is the perfect fit.

natlampoon.jpg

Archived