THE BROWNS BOARD

Get ready to have your mind blown...

Tour2ma

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found it, Q1, 5:32 to play. Crowell for -2 yards. Here:

k0Q2Th9.jpg

Cam's guy gets the tackle. Another day, another Erving whiff.

Nice... and love the "spoiler" unveiling...

The frame above says it all. Brings the old, Sesame Street bit to mind: "One of these things is not like the others".

Feet together... bent waist... head down... apparently groping for power contact he will never find while the rest of the line seems to be forming a ZBS conga line where every OL needs to at least chip his opposite to set up his compadre' coming from their left.

There are other failures to point out as well in this and other stills, e.g., Greco gets stacked by #90, but Cam's is the most egregious fail.

I would like to point out how much further Joe T has moved to his assignment. His "get off the ball" is so exceptional... compare it to the TE... and the Center. At least the TE has the excuse of distance from the ball...

Nice... and love the "spoiler" unveiling...

The frame above says it all. Brings the old, Sesame Street bit to mind: "One of these things is not like the others".

Feet together... bent waist... head down... apparently groping for power contact he will never find while the rest of the line seems to be forming a ZBS conga line where every OL needs to at least chip his opposite to set up his compadre' coming from their left.

There are other failures to point out as well in this and other stills, e.g., Greco gets stacked by #90, but Cam's is the most egregious fail.

I would like to point out how much further Joe T has moved to his assignment. His "get off the ball" is so exceptional... compare it to the TE... and the Center. At least the TE has the excuse of distance from the ball...

That is how he hurt himself.....he tried to plow head down, head first to make a block. The defender simply stepped aside and allowed Erving's own momemtum to power dive himself, head first into the dirt.

Is this not something that can be coached out of him....or is he hopelessly useless?

Can it? Sure... any bad habit can be coached out of a player given enough time and reps.

Will it? Doubtful... the CBA-limited-practice-time NFL is just not structured for remedial education. But why should it be? You can't get more basic than "see what you hit".

Does it matter/ would it do any good? I don't think so. Cam reacts so slowly... and you can't coach reaction time.

I'm not sure if it's mental or physical reaction time, probably both, buy he seemed to do OK when he had one guy straight up, with some space between them. When someone lined up over him, less so. When there were stunts, less so.

I honestly think it's both, Chris... although his lack of agility could be masquerading as physical reaction time.

His mental reaction lag is demonstrated by delays in even turning his head in recognition to DL stunts to him or away from him.

I honestly think it's both, Chris... although his lack of agility could be masquerading as physical reaction time.

His mental reaction lag is demonstrated by delays in even turning his head in recognition to DL stunts to him or away from him.

Obviously you know more than I do on the topic, but from my untrained eye, he seems slow to react physically, slow to process mentally, and makes bad decisions once he has processed. When engaged he seems OK, apart from when being outright bull-rushed by a big guy (Geno Atkins etc). Once he has processed the information, any new information doesn't seem to get in, so late blitzers don't get picked up, people running across his face don't get picked up.

Obviously you know more than I do on the topic, but from my untrained eye, he seems slow to react physically, slow to process mentally, and makes bad decisions once he has processed. When engaged he seems OK, apart from when being outright bull-rushed by a big guy (Geno Atkins etc). Once he has processed the information, any new information doesn't seem to get in, so late blitzers don't get picked up, people running across his face don't get picked up.

I still can't see anything that most of the draft sites were seeing in him to make him a 1st rounder. They all seemed to have whiffed just as badly as he does every week. It's either that or we have the poorest OL coach in all the NFL. Or maybe both.

It's just seems like Hue can pull the plug on his guy Kessler, but until the 9'er can stretch our lead to 2 games for the #1 pick, the 2015 draft talent evaluations will continue. Durango needs to stay beside JT(mentor) & we paid Bailey/Cooper so evaluate them at RG & keep Paz at RT to determine his worth..Greco at C calling line schemes gives Huejax best chance to win. but go 49'ers?

I still can't see anything that most of the draft sites were seeing in him to make him a 1st rounder. They all seemed to have whiffed just as badly as he does every week. It's either that or we have the poorest OL coach in all the NFL. Or maybe both.

Given Pasztor's rise to cult-OL-guru-darling status, I'm guessing this one isn't on the OL coach. Granted, we didn't actually have an OL coach last year, but since big Erv' moved all over the place, it's not like he missed out on a year of coaching at center. He's basically a rookie who played five college games at the position.

I tell you something - analytics would not have drafted Erving.

It's just seems like Hue can pull the plug on his guy Kessler, but until the 9'er can stretch our lead to 2 games for the #1 pick, the 2015 draft talent evaluations will continue. Durango needs to stay beside JT(mentor) & we paid Bailey/Johnson so evaluate them at RG & keep Paz at RT to determine his worth..Greco at C calling line schemes gives Huejax best chance to win. but go 49'ers?

Johnson?

And Erving. But I remember Cooper was lauded as the best prospect in that draft, just hurt by the fact he played guard, and was still drafted 7th overall. He got injured in AZ, then dumped to NE for nothing, where he didn't have time to impress before final cuts and was waived.

Now, he's supposedly healthy and I would be interested to see more of him - I'm surprised (and worried) that we haven't, since Bitonio's been injured, as it's been mostly Bailey/Drango at LG. If he can come close to his pre-draft billing, that'd be swell.

Teams don't cut quality OL unless there's a reason, right? I mean, you can't have enough backup linemen, so cutting Cooper doesn't make a WHOLE lot of sense. Either he has lingering injury concerns, or there is something about him that doesn't add up because quality Guards, even backups, are worth their weight in gold...ESPECIALLY when they're cheap.

All that cynical crap aside, maybe we found a gem? Perhaps Cooper was a roster casualty, and the other teams just couldn't make enough room for a backup Guard? If that's the case, we could have someone that can contribute with a top notch pedigree. Drafted 7th overall? Lauded as the best OL prospect in the draft? Damn right. Let's get lucky.

You can have enough quality O linemen. Teams generally cap that number around 8.

Bullshit. My team would have about 18 linemen, one of whom could play TE and catch a pass occasionally, and then like four backs, each of whom is over 250lbs, and one of whom could throw a pass. This forward pass shit is just smoke and mirrors. Get back to real football.

Bullshit. My team would have about 18 linemen, one of whom could play TE and catch a pass occasionally, and then like four backs, each of whom is over 250lbs, and one of whom could throw a pass. This forward pass shit is just smoke and mirrors. Get back to real football.

I've always heard it said that football is won and lost on the line of scrimmage. And it is obviously true if you follow the game at all. Good line = good team.

Chris, oddly enough we HAVE that guy. I BELIEIVE Spencer Drango has lined up a few times as the "extra lineman" who was receiver eligible. I remember one specific play where the read was to go to Drango for a semi deep pass. Obvsiously, the play didn't work out for whatever reason, but Drango can catch I think. If we ever get in the red zone again, perhaps we run a play to him. Don't think Drango would be on any fantasy teams, LMAO.

One thing is for sure, we have to figure out how to score more points and take some aggressive shots during the next game. I could tell against the Ravens that we TRIED to take some shots, but Cody never had time. There was one play where Cody was flushed from the pocket (shocking) and ran to his left I think...and he just threw it out of bounds. The replay confirmed we had 2 deep routes. I've seen us TRY, but we aren't able to block well enough or pick up the blitz. That, and there were a few times where Cody left the pocket prematurely. Again, can't really blame the kid. Hue Jackson is going to HAVE to figure out how to mitigate the rush and buy some more time. Either through shifting the pocket, rolling out the QB, or even something crazy like a flea flicker. Hue has to do SOMETHING so we can get Corey or Pryor down the field.

I've always heard it said that football is won and lost on the line of scrimmage. And it is obviously true if you follow the game at all. Good line = good team.

For sure, I'm just messing around. But wargorowaorowoaowawaw is right, there's a cap of about 8 linemen on most teams, so 'never have enough good ones' does have its limits, and I think Cooper got caught up in the numbers game in NE, and because he arrived so late, he didn't have enough time to impress.

For sure, I'm just messing around. But wargorowaorowoaowawaw is right, there's a cap of about 8 linemen on most teams, so 'never have enough good ones' does have its limits, and I think Cooper got caught up in the numbers game in NE, and because he arrived so late, he didn't have enough time to impress.

I get it about roster numbers. It's just tough when you can remember that we used to have two damned good starting lines in the backups. In the 80s, next man up was just as good as the guy that he is replacing....the good ole days

In keeping with the 'mind blown' theme, the current tackle leader in the NFL right now is...Christian Kirksey. OK, so he's played one more game than the other top guys, but scaled back to 9 games, he has 85 tackles, good for 7th in the league. He's on pace for 150 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

In keeping with the 'mind blown' theme, the current tackle leader in the NFL right now is...Christian Kirksey. OK, so he's played one more game than the other top guys, but scaled back to 9 games, he has 85 tackles, good for 7th in the league. He's on pace for 150 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

OK, it's something good. To play devil's advocate...are his numbers up because the rest of the D misses so many?

I'm guessing so, but if you look at the guys around him in the league, you've got bobby wagner, luke kuechly, sean lee - good players. Maybe his numbers are bloated by having to cover for Nassib's over-pursuit or whatever, but he's actually making tackles. I'd be very interested to see the average depth from LoS for those tackles. Though, I do recall at one point he was leading in the 'tackles for under 2 yards' category, so he should be good on that front too.

And Erving. But I remember Cooper was lauded as the best prospect in that draft, just hurt by the fact he played guard, and was still drafted 7th overall. He got injured in AZ, then dumped to NE for nothing, where he didn't have time to impress before final cuts and was waived.

Now, he's supposedly healthy and I would be interested to see more of him - I'm surprised (and worried) that we haven't, since Bitonio's been injured, as it's been mostly Bailey/Drango at LG. If he can come close to his pre-draft billing, that'd be swell.

Excuse me Cooper is a bust. He's fat and lazy.

Did we hire the fired TAMU OL coach? ;)

As I am sure I posted before... In his LSU tape he was a hot mess at LT, but in limited tape at Center he looked better... when he had no one over him.

Did we hire the fired TAMU OL coach? ;)

As I am sure I posted before... In his LSU tape he was a hot mess at LT, but in limited tape at Center he looked better... when he had no one over him.

You may have posted that Tour, but that dos not mean that space limited hard drive here can still bring it up. :blink:

Archived