THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting QB Situation

CubeMcneil

I know this has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum, but this whole Ratliff addition is interesting to say the least.

OK, so we are now told that Quinn was not available for trade during the draft. I believe that Quinn's value was at its highest last weekend, while Anderson's was at its lowest. And now we bring in Ratliff, who Mangini and Daboll really liked in NY. I have to imagine Ratliff will be the #2. However, if we wouldn't trade Quinn over the weekend for a potential #1 draft pick, it's clear that he's the starter and DA is odd man out, right? They could keep DA for a bit until a team becomes desperate d/t injury, and then we could try to snag a player out of the deal as opposed to a 2010 pick. All of this makes complete sense.

But, here is the interesting twist: Ratliff is more of a DA QB than a Quinn QB. So, I ask, what kind of offense will we be running?? Stretch the field, DA/Ratliff offense? I cannot imagine us trading Quinn later on, as I still feel the best chance was last weekend. Then again, how much stock should we be really putting into the whole "stretching the field' thing? I mean, Quinn is in the NFL, he has to be able to throw the long ball accurately. Not to mention, one would have to imagine that by sticking with the 'intelligent player" approach, Quinn is also favored. But, this Ratliff thing is very intriguing to say the least.

Also, if we keep both DA and Quinn, and Quinn starts, then we have close to $20 million wrapped up in 2 QB's.....$8 to DA, $11ish to Quinn after playing incentives, etc. If they do the "competition approach", then by naming a starter you devalue the appointed backup, especially if other teams got the chance to see one of them potentially suck in the pre-season.

All in all, I believe Quinn is in and DA will be traded when his stock goes back up.....ie- when a team loses their starter this spring/summer and becomes real desperate, hopefully before too many pre-season games to see DA crap the bed.

That's very well put and about the way I see it. I can't imagine DA will be here when the season starts and he may very well be moved for a player.

Perhaps another decent back?

I cant see both BQ and DA being around another year whichever loses the derby will likely ask to be traded..

And i wouldnt rule DA out just yet in a fair contest his arm is intoxicating and has a tendency to make coaches forget he has incurable flaws...;)

The Browns could of had a trade set up for DA (or BQ) when they had Ratliff included in the Jets trade. But maybe that trade fell apart later in the draft?? I was thinking to Tampa, but we helped Tampa get Josh Freeman.

Thinking Winslow gave them the skinny on DA...Only to real places I see DA going to now....remote....SF and Carolina, minny

I cant see both BQ and DA being around another year whichever loses the derby will likely ask to be traded..

And i wouldnt rule DA out just yet in a fair contest his arm is intoxicating and has a tendency to make coaches forget he has incurable flaws...;)

I just don't see the QB derby happening. We hold this competition and name a starter, but then if we try to trade the "loser" of the competition, our potential trade partners will say "you want a what? For your backup? No way, we'll give you this......".

Word has been out on DA, the league ain't stupid. Then he didn't bring a lube job and free set of wiper blades in trade offers so naming Quinn the starter won't affect anything, teams know what they're getting with DA.

Savage had his chance to capitalize on DA's peak value and get his return for a sixth round waiver pick up but he pissed himself instead.

In defense of philly, as much as id like to bash him, not MANY GM's would of gotten rid of him after a 10-6 season after so many years of losing. Hind sights 20/20, i just dont remember that many people calling for his head after the end of last year but i wasnt on this forum so i dont know what everyones opinions were here.

LOL. You definitely were'nt around here cuz 3/4 of the board knew what DA was and wanted us to move him. Not only that, but most knowledgeable fans on the street (that I knew of anyway) including Puker fans said the same thing.

Sounds good. Was it after the Bengals game or when that everyone, including all of your knowledgible fans, decided DA was garbage?

Guess you should have been here then. Lots of guys had their issues even during DA's so called "great first half" but the Bengals game solidified it.

But hey, feel free to be the new guy with his preconceived opinions of the fans who have been posting here for years.

The world needs more DA believers, there just ain't enough of them.

LOL. You definitely were'nt around here cuz 3/4 of the board knew what DA was and wanted us to move him. Not only that, but most knowledgeable fans on the street (that I knew of anyway) including Puker fans said the same thing.

Keep patting yourself on the back Mr. Knowledgeable Fan. The same "knowledgeable" fans that are in this tread saying DA's history have been saying the same thing since game 2 of the '07 season, even went on to say he wouldn't get a 20 million buck contract or be starting anywhere the next year, much less Cleveland. So far the "knowledgeable fans" have been wrong, but still keep up the "this is Quinn's team" chant.

It ain't over 'til it's over. I do agree that one of these two guys is likely gone prior to next season. Both QBs likely will be in the starting mix somewhere. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Keep patting yourself on the back Mr. Knowledgeable Fan. The same "knowledgeable" fans that are in this tread saying DA's history have been saying the same thing since game 2 of the '07 season, even went on to say he wouldn't get a 20 million buck contract or be starting anywhere the next year, much less Cleveland. So far the "knowledgeable fans" have been wrong, but still keep up the "this is Quinn's team" chant.

It ain't over 'til it's over. I do agree that one of these two guys is likely gone prior to next season. Both QBs likely will be in the starting mix somewhere. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Hey Drunky thanks for confirming to this newb what I was trying to splain to him.

Preciate that bud.

PS Word is The Doofus from Scapoosus is coming home for a visit. May be time to bust out those knee pads again. Hell, at least they're good and broke in now.

In 2006 when DA got a few starts, a lot of fans (myself included) could see a huge difference in how the huddle was run and how the team seemed more fluid with DA as compared to Charlie Frye...

DA seemed to be the more professional of the two...

We all know the results of 2007 & 2008 so I wont even go there.... IMO DA's play last season was greatly influenced by the concussion---he never fully recovered....

With that said, however, since both DA & BQ were injured last season, I think the loser of the competition stays on the roster as insurance for the entire season regardless of who that is....

Myself, I want to see Quinn in a meaningful game, with a healthy and complete team package.... I want to see our first round pick in action and truthfully wont be satisfied if he's holding the clipboard again....

Ratliff just makes things more interesting.....

T.Dawg

Sounds good. Was it after the Bengals game or when that everyone, including all of your knowledgible fans, decided DA was garbage?

No, it was about halfway through his pro bowl season when he started decline and kept getting worse.

He started throwing lower and into traffic more, then he started locking on to his targets before there was even a snap.

When some of us pointed these things out we were called "Quinn Fags" by certain manloving newbie posters that weren't here to see SOME of us argue against taking Quinn in the first place.

The fact he came out strong, tapered off fast and played inconsistent as hell was the reason SOME of us wanted to take that 1st and 3rd when we had a chance because we saw the tank coming.

No, it was about halfway through his pro bowl season when he started decline and kept getting worse.

He started throwing lower and into traffic more, then he started locking on to his targets before there was even a snap.

I totally agree!!! He would just stare down the reciever for way too long!

I think we have 2 "da" qb's, DA and Ratliff, and 2 "quinn" BQ and Harrell. We'll have to see what happens!?!?

The funny part is ive supported Quinn on this board even and argued/spat on Lums consistently...

The even better part is you calling me a newb and projecting your awesome status as a supposed knowledgeable fan because i havent posted on a web forum as long as you have.

I was just trying to get a feel for what some people here thought, ive got to know some people here and had a different opinion about you before this post... Thanks for clearing it up for me on where you stand.

Aw, poor you. Little old you was offended since the word knowledgeable was used. Point being, this board was buzzing all last offseason with DA/Quinn arguments and a ton of us wanted to move DA when we could.

It’s beyond old news it was ad nauseum, so when a guy like you comes in here and makes little snippy comments you’re going to get it fed back “newb”.

Now go take your panties off and bend over.

I think the loser of the competition stays on the roster as insurance for the entire season regardless of who that is....

Sure, Mangini probably wants them both on the roster. But one of them is going to ask to be traded. Clearly DA is the favorite to outperform BQ in camp, having done it last year. And BQ needs to start this year to get his 11 mil. So there is no chance he'll sit quiet as the backup.

Guest Masters
Sure, Mangini probably wants them both on the roster. But one of them is going to ask to be traded. Clearly DA is the favorite to outperform BQ in camp, having done it last year. And BQ needs to start this year to get his 11 mil. So there is no chance he'll sit quiet as the backup.

LMFAO....DA didn't out perform BQ in camp last year, or the year before when Quinn as a rookie out performed DA and Frye (who DA lost the battle for the job to). DA had no competition in camp last year. Remember, he was handed the job in February. But he did lose his job during the regular season to BQ, now didnt' he?

Notice the guy that gave him that contract is no longer employed in the capacity of GM here. Or anywhere else.

Guess you should have been here then. Lots of guys had their issues even during DA's so called "great first half" but the Bengals game solidified it.

But hey, feel free to be the new guy with his preconceived opinions of the fans who have been posting here for years.

The world needs more DA believers, there just ain't enough of them.

There wasn't a lot of reason to be doubting him so quickly during that first half of his "breakout" season, this kind of belies a bit of bias right out of the gate. Sure he had his problems, but one cannot put the weight of an entire team's performance on one man. He wasn't on the defensive end of the ball giving up all those touchdowns during the first Cinci game. There were inconsistencies all around. Granted he had a meltdown at the end of the season, but a lot of that can be laid at the feet of other teams figuring out the game plan. The Browns weren't exactly known for changing things up when they needed to be under Chud. Most of the announcers could predict the mix of pass/run plays being called.

That aside, DA has problems, there's no denying that. I refuse to be a Lumbergh and blindly defend him. But I won't throw him completely to the wolves either, regardless of the early decisions of "fan's posting for years". Some of you fans represent what's wrong with the fanbase. You're the old guys, and know so much more than anyone else possibly could cause you've been watching with your grandpa since the glory days we 20 somethings can't remember Obviously we had problems on offense last year as well. Quinn is still an unknown element. But the three games he played in, he looked like an average QB at best against some of the league's weaker defenses. This was not entirely his fault, just like it wasn't all DA's fault either. Once again, there was a reason that the team went like four whole games without an offensive touchdown. It wasn't just the quarterback performance, regardless of who was at the helm. Heck the team couldn't even produce much with a combo of Jamal Lewis and Wildcatting with Cribbs (granted I think the WildDawg is a trendy manuever, but other teams made it work a heck of a lot better than we did. We need rationality in discussions, and both quinn guys and anderson guys need to check the bias at the door and support whoever will lead the team the best way possible. Even if that means that neither one of them is the solution.

Aw, poor you. Little old you was offended since the word knowledgeable was used. Point being, this board was buzzing all last offseason with DA/Quinn arguments and a ton of us wanted to move DA when we could.

It’s beyond old news it was ad nauseum, so when a guy like you comes in here and makes little snippy comments you’re going to get it fed back “newb”.

Now go take your panties off and bend over.

Riffer...you're a d0uche. It's posters like you that made me decide to stop just reading this board and start posting

LMFAO....DA didn't out perform BQ in camp last year

he didn't? Let's take a look back, shall we masterbater?

Maybe you missed BQ tossing pick-6's to Shaun Rogers every practice while DA was lighting it up.

Maybe you missed mega-BQ-humpers shep and Tony Grossi jumping off of BQs nuts like he had herpes.

Maybe you missed BQ shitting his pants with stage fright vs the mighty Lions.

LMFAO indeed. end of discussion dumbshit.

Riffer...you're a d0uche. It's posters like you that made me decide to stop just reading this board and start posting

I like to consider myself more of a douche than a d0uche.

Glad to have you posting, let's see some more brilliant remarks. This whole DA thing is stagnant anymore since Lums is trolling so hard. We need guys like you to tell us some more about what we already know.

Thanks for supporting the Browns Board, we were tired of you just reading.

Anderson racked up about 50% of his TD passes against three teams that hadn't won a single game that year at the time that we played them (Miami, St.Louis, Bengals). Miami wound up winning 1 game that year, the Bengals 3 or 4, and St. Louis 3 I think. We had the weakest schedule ever and still missed the Playoffs...

It says alot about your starting QB when the playoffs are gift-wrapped for you with an easy Bengals team and you throw 4 picks and lose the game and miss the playoffs. You're just not a winner. Why waste time on a guy who can't take an easy game like that and manage it, let alone win it for us? That was the nail in the coffin in my already-doubting mind, yes.

Archived