THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting QB Situation

CubeMcneil

Anderson racked up about 50% of his TD passes against three teams that hadn't won a single game that year at the time that we played them (Miami, St.Louis, Bengals).

11/29 = 37.9%

37.9% = 50% = BQ Nation Math

In a related topic, 2 out of 2, or ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of BQ's TD passes came against what Colin Cowherd called yesterday THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE NFL. With 5 linebackers and a corner out with injuries.

Anderson racked up about 50% of his TD passes against three teams that hadn't won a single game that year at the time that we played them (Miami, St.Louis, Bengals). Miami wound up winning 1 game that year, the Bengals 3 or 4, and St. Louis 3 I think. We had the weakest schedule ever and still missed the Playoffs...

It says alot about your starting QB when the playoffs are gift-wrapped for you with an easy Bengals team and you throw 4 picks and lose the game and miss the playoffs. You're just not a winner. Why waste time on a guy who can't take an easy game like that and manage it, let alone win it for us? That was the nail in the coffin in my already-doubting mind, yes.

My opinion up front---I've seen DA and now I want to see BQ---end of discussion...

With that said however, if you're blaming the Cincy loss TOTALLY at DA's feet then you're wrong man....

In another thread I explained how I met Carson Palmer after that season and he stated that those were the worst wind conditions he ever experienced... At times, when the ball came out of his hand he had no idea where it was going... He said he missed some spots as much as 10 yards...

Chud had a horrible, stupid game plan, never adjusted for conditions and put his players in the position to lose...

As much as any game that kept us out of the playoffs, it has to be the Raider game that was given away.....

T.dawg

Guest Aloysius
Maybe i will start pimping Ratliff and turn this in to a 3 way scrum. ;)

If DA gets traded, you know all the DA fans are going to become Ratliff's biggest supporters. So I'll give them their first piece of semi-ridiculous evidence:

As it turns out, Ratliff and Quinn faced Georgia Tech in back to back games: Ratliff in the '05 Fiesta Bowl, Quinn in the opening game of the '06 season. Here are the two guys' stats.

Brett Ratliff

• 30/41, 381 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT
Brady Quinn
  • 23/38, 246 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
Clearly, Ratliff is the better QB.

Anderson racked up about 50% of his TD passes against three teams that hadn't won a single game that year at the time that we played them (

And Quinn racked up his only 50% completion NFL performance against the worst pass defense in the league, still lost.

If you want to cherry pick DA, the same can be done for BQ.

And Quinn had questions about his accuracy under pressure coming out of college, his pro day at Notre Dame impressed scouts and coaches so much his draft stock plummeted. If Quinn gets to play, somewhere, you just might see more of the same.

Yes, he plummeted all the way to the......1st round!?!

Uh huh,yeah we definitely shouldn't give a 1st round pick a chance.....brilliant!!

I'm all for giving him a chance to win the spot in an open competition. Totally for that. Some of you guys are so fearful that he can't win it you want the job handed to him.

Guest Masters
In a related topic, 2 out of 2, or ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of BQ's TD passes came against what Colin Cowherd called yesterday THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE NFL. With 5 linebackers and a corner out with injuries.

He also called DA one of the worst starting QBs before the start of last season. I like your choice of sources.

Guest Masters
And Quinn racked up his only 50% completion NFL performance against the worst pass defense in the league, still lost.

If you want to cherry pick DA, the same can be done for BQ.

Um, the worst pass D Quinn faced was DEN. It wasn't a 50% completion %, it was 65.7%. To put that in perspective for you, that is a career high for DA.

I'm all for giving him a chance to win the spot in an open competition. Totally for that. Some of you guys are so fearful that he can't win it you want the job handed to him.

Ha ha, this is perhaps the funniest of the Manwagon lines.

D&S, do me a favor, comb the board (Spaceballs flash; giant pick in the desert... haha...sorry...) and find me JUST ONE POST that states that Quinn should be "handed" the job.

You can't, because it's not here.

What "some" have actually said -- myself included -- is that it's a waste of time to hold a QB competition, and possibly detrimental to the team's preparation, unless the coach REALLY doesn''t have a clue who he wants to start.

And if he REALLY doesn't know who he wants to start then you have much bigger problems than the QB. Remember how RAC did this very thing?

So, it's not about fear of Quinn failing, it's about fear that Mangini doesn't ACTUALLY know who his QB is.

Does Mangini strike you as the flip-a-coin type?

Yeah, me neither. Which is bad news for your boy.

Um, the worst pass D Quinn faced was DEN. It wasn't a 50% completion %, it was 65.7%. To put that in perspective for you, that is a career high for DA.

For the sake of accuracy... Brady Quinn's only game where he reached at least a 50% completion rate. His second best game was 44.4%, his other games were below 40%

Also for the sake of accuracy... In regular season DA has had games of 71.9% against Baltimore, 72% against Miami, 72% against Seattle, 68.6% against Houston, as well as numerous other 60%+ games. His sub 50% games do not make up half or the majority of his games. If you want to compare early DA against BQ, DA only had one sub 50% game in his first 4 appearances with the Baltimore game mentioned earlier being among those early games.

To the other guys. I actually hope Mangini makes his decision by mid summer and gets on with whatever his plans are. If he chooses DA there will be a LOT of whining on this board that BQ didn't get a chance. If they dump DA and pick BQ, hopefully both guys will get a full preseason in with their respective teams... last year BQ pretty much got that, between the stupid Frye competition in '07 and the concussion in '08, DA's never got that.

If DA gets traded, you know all the DA fans are going to become Ratliff's biggest supporters. So I'll give them their first piece of semi-ridiculous evidence:

As it turns out, Ratliff and Quinn faced Georgia Tech in back to back games: Ratliff in the '05 Fiesta Bowl, Quinn in the opening game of the '06 season. Here are the two guys' stats.

Brett Ratliff

• 30/41, 381 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT
Brady Quinn
  • 23/38, 246 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
Clearly, Ratliff is the better QB.

Maybe then the argument would start with something like, you must be kidding comparing apples and oranges. You're talking two different seasons. But, since Quinn can't win big games, Ratliff must be the beter QB. Hell, look at Harrell's stats, he should be starting ahead of everybody.

Guest Masters
For the sake of accuracy... Brady Quinn's only game where he reached at least a 50% completion rate. His second best game was 44.4%, his other games were below 40%

Also for the sake of accuracy... In regular season DA has had games of 71.9% against Baltimore, 72% against Miami, 72% against Seattle, 68.6% against Houston, as well as numerous other 60%+ games. His sub 50% games do not make up half or the majority of his games. If you want to compare early DA against BQ, DA only had one sub 50% game in his first 4 appearances with the Baltimore game mentioned earlier being among those early games.

To the other guys. I actually hope Mangini makes his decision by mid summer and gets on with whatever his plans are. If he chooses DA there will be a LOT of whining on this board that BQ didn't get a chance. If they dump DA and pick BQ, hopefully both guys will get a full preseason in with their respective teams... last year BQ pretty much got that, between the stupid Frye competition in '07 and the concussion in '08, DA's never got that.

Ah, but not what I responded to. It was stated that when he played the worst D, he couldn't complete 50%. What happened in the other two starts, well he broke his finger early in that second start.

Sub 50% do make up the majority of DA's starts. You don't have a career 50 some odd % average by being over that number regularly.

For the sake of even more accuracy, Quinn only played one game without an injury, oh! Just happened to be that 65.7% completion rate game.

Ah, but not what I responded to. It was stated that when he played the worst D, he couldn't complete 50%. What happened in the other two starts, well he broke his finger early in that second start.

Sub 50% do make up the majority of DA's starts. You don't have a career 50 some odd % average by being over that number regularly.

Go back and read the original post. It was stated that the only time Quinn ever reached the 50% mark was against the worst defense in the league.

Also, you are once again making inaccurate statements about DA. He's had sub 50% games once in '06, and 4 times in each '07 and '08.

For the sake of even more accuracy, Quinn only played one game without an injury, oh! Just happened to be that 65.7% completion rate game.

Go back a year.... 37.5% baby! And the fans were chanting BRADY,BRADY,BRADY!!!

Guest AdaM
Go back a year.... 37.5% baby! And the fans were chanting BRADY,BRADY,BRADY!!!

Pretty sure he only threw 8 passes, dipshit. And TWO of them were dropped, in the END-ZONE.

are you Derek Anderson or something?

I want to see him going downfield with consistent accuracy.

I agree, and that is one thing that has bothered me about Quinn, though it is way to early to tell if it is a trend. He was looking a lot like Couch with the dump passes.

I think as he feels the job is his, which up to this point I don't think he ever really felt that way, he will start looking to put the ball down the field rather than jump to the bailout toss to early.

I would rather see some picks then see 3 passes for 7 yards like we did with Slouch.

I agree, and that is one thing that has bothered me about Quinn, though it is way to early to tell if it is a trend. He was looking a lot like Couch with the dump passes.

I think as he feels the job is his, which up to this point I don't think he ever really felt that way, he will start looking to put the ball down the field rather than jump to the bailout toss to early.

I would rather see some picks then see 3 passes for 7 yards like we did with Slouch.

Could his finger had been bothering him? I don't know.

I agree though. He was dumping it off an awful lot.

Guest Masters
Go back and read the original post. It was stated that the only time Quinn ever reached the 50% mark was against the worst defense in the league.

Also, you are once again making inaccurate statements about DA. He's had sub 50% games once in '06, and 4 times in each '07 and '08.

I mis-read. My bad.

Last year, 3 games of sub 50%, 2 at 51/52%, and 1 at 56%. So 6 of his 9 starts he was sub-par by NFL standards. In 2007 3 at below 50%, 2 at 51%, 3 at 55%. So that is 8 of his 15 starts that are sub-par by NFL standards. In 2006 1 at sub 50% and 1 at 56%. So 2 of his 3 were sub-par by NFL standards. Put that all together an you have 16 of his 27 NFL starts are sub-par when it comes to completing passes. That's a trend, and a very bad one. Heck, you look at year one as the named starter to year 2 and he got worse, not better. That is the problem with DA. This is also his trend since HS.

Then look at him by half and last 2 minutes of halfs. Last year he got worse from the 1st half of games to the 2nd half (52% to 49%). In the last two minutes of a half he is 32%. In 2007 he wasn't all that much better either. He is who he is, and it isn't good enough to be a middle tier QB in the NFL. That is not acceptable.

That's the real decision the coaches have to make. Do they want an offense that has a chance to score quickly, or one that grinds it out a few yards at a time. It's easy to have a good completion percentage if you dump it all the time, heck Charlie Fry had a 64% completion rate in his big 4 win (one of which was a comeback led by DA) season for the Browns.

Rather than completion percentage, I actually PREFER to go by the "QB Rating" which takes INT's into account (which are game changers). I think it is WAY more relevant.

I just want to win games regardless who the QB is. I just happen to know DA is not the guy. If Ratliff ends up a winning QB for us...fantastic!

Guest Masters
Rather than completion percentage, I actually, I PREFER to go by the "QB Rating" which takes INT's into account (which are game changers). I think it is WAY more relevant.

Shhhh.... we wouldn't want to bring up DA's trends when it comes to QB rating.

Shhhh.... we wouldn't want to bring up DA's trends when it comes to QB rating.

Why not? Coming off a preseason that he really didn't play or practice because of a concussion, and starting when he probably shouldn't have... his QB rating sucked. His last four games before the demotion actually were for the most part pretty reasonable, definitely on an upward "trend".

Anyway, the whole "trend" theory is a bunch of hooey. You have to look at the situations, the receivers, what the rest of the team is also doing to really evaluate how a QB affects or doesn't affect a game.

Guest AdaM
Why not? Coming off a preseason that he really didn't play or practice because of a concussion, and starting when he probably shouldn't have... his QB rating sucked. His last four games before the demotion actually were for the most part pretty reasonable, definitely on an upward "trend".

Anyway, the whole "trend" theory is a bunch of hooey. You have to look at the situations, the receivers, what the rest of the team is also doing to really evaluate how a QB affects or doesn't affect a game.

So you're blaming his suckitude on the preseason concussion?

Guest Masters

Are you really gonna use the preseason excuse? What did DA do again during the 2007 preseason? An upward trend on his last four starts? More like a continuation of the scatter shot DA is. From one week to another you get something different. That's a trend.

By the way, DA did practice and watch film during camp after the concussion. Just not out doors because of light. He wasn't sitting around doing nothing.

You can say it's a bunch of hooey, but coaches and scouts around the NFL will tell you otherwise. Or has the situation week to week from HS to today really been varying that greatly? I don't think so.

If DA was really all that and a bag of chips one of two things would of happened.

1. EM would of named him starter right off the bat

2. Teams would of called us about DA.

Neither has happened. Sure you can say "you don't know that teams haven't called" but c'mon guys, this is a league built on things being leaked. Trade rumors swirl all around during the offseason, and not one involved DA.

That's because nobody wants him, because nobody is desperate enough for him (yet)

Let's hope some other teams have some serious injuries at the QB position that will make them desperate to take him on the fly.

This.

Lummy......I'm STILLLLL waiting for you to come back and show me all the "pick-6s to Shaun Rodgers" that Quinn threw last season....

Either that or for you to admit you make shit up to defend your girl DA....

Lumms has no more defense for DA after last season and willingly admitting he was toast himself.

All he has left is slandering Quinn and everyone that wants to see if Quinn can or cannot be a real NFL qb.

Archived