THE BROWNS BOARD

One Post's Electoral College

One Post

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just calculus three for me. Do you think that maybe the environment at UK universities is different than here in the US? I don't know. But trust me there are lots of coddled whiney wimps who are getting catered to by college administrators.

I'm not sure what that is - third-year calculus? Either way interesting stuff.

I'm not sure how different things are but I suspect it's largely similar among students and universities with a more academic bent. As for basket weavers, I don't really know too many over here, let alone there, so can't really comment.

Angry-White-Liberals.jpg

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but "winning" 1+million votes down from the loser is NOT democracy.

From Merriam-Webster:

Full Definition of democracy

plural

democracies

1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority

Hmmm. Rule of the majority. How confusing this presidential election has become. It has a very warped sense of one person, one vote and does not meet the definition of "democracy".

I'm not sure what that is - third-year calculus? Either way interesting stuff.

I'm not sure how different things are but I suspect it's largely similar among students and universities with a more academic bent. As for basket weavers, I don't really know too many over here, let alone there, so can't really comment.

Calc III is Multivariable Calculus.

There's not more. Of course it was mentioned. But they even said they are offering support to those from both ends of the political spectrum.

If I were trying to one-up him on math I could have just made something up about my math education. During a discussion with someone it always helps to know their authority on the subject.

Well both of those things you said didn't exist at OSU, do. Just saying

"Authority on the subject"? What? Thus started with a 5000x0=0 joke. What "authority" on math do you need there?

Can you just admit you were trying some "gotcha" type "I know more math" type thing before you realized Chris actually went to one of the best universities in the world with a math related degree? It looks like that shit blew up in your face and you're trying to walk it back.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but "winning" 1+million votes down from the loser is NOT democracy.

From Merriam-Webster:

plural

democracies

Hmmm. Rule of the majority. How confusing this presidential election has become. It has a very warped sense of one person, one vote and does not meet the definition of "democracy".

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

IMG_1633-e1306732021468.jpgAt the close of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, Franklin was queried as he left Independence Hall on the final day of deliberation. In the notes of Dr. James McHenry, one of Maryland’s delegates to the Convention, a lady asked Dr. Franklin “Well Doctor what have we got, a republic or a monarchy.” Franklin replied, “A republic . . . if you can keep it.”

Our Constitution created a limited representative republic. A republic is different from a democracy. In a democracy, the majority can directly make laws, while in a republic, elected representatives make laws. Basically, in a pure democracy, the majority has unlimited power, whereas in a republic, a written constitution limits the majority and provides safeguards for the individual and minorities.

In the United States, we actually have both systems. There is no way for Americans to directly enact legislation at the national level, but half of the states allow ballot initiatives which, if passed by a majority of the voters, have the force of law.

The Founders’ intent at the national level was a representative republic. The word democracy is not mentioned in the Constitution. Most of the Founders distrusted pure democracy.

From Merriam-Webster:

plural

democracies

If we had a true democracy, we would vote on every law and politician by popular vote. And California and New York would dictate to the rest of the country what to do. You can keep true democracy.

If we had a true democracy, we would vote on every law and politician by popular vote. And California and New York would dictate to the rest of the country what to do. You can keep true democracy.

No doubt if the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't be too happy winning the popular vote and still losing an election but I see the genius of the founders of this country and what they were trying to do in setting the country to be a republic and not a true democracy.Even if I were on the losing side of the issue I would not want to change our form of government.

No doubt if the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't be too happy winning the popular vote and still losing an election but I see the genius of the founders of this country and what they were trying to do in setting the country to be a republic and not a true democracy.Even if I were on the losing side of the issue I would not want to change our form of government.

Presiden-elect Trump disagrees, btw.

Yeah I don't doubt. For me in my final year I took the 'interesting' courses - abstract theoretical stuff - and some 'useful' courses, like decision maths, financial principles etc. whereas the two years leading up to it had been more general, things like real/complex variable theory, symmetry and groups, linear algebra, blah-de-blah.

Then masters was some finance stuff, so pretty trival maths, but also stochastic calculus, more advanced stats (I hate stats), numerical methods for estimating a solution to an insoluble SDE etc. that kind of thing.

Yeah I don't doubt. For me in my final year I took the 'interesting' courses - abstract theoretical stuff - and some 'useful' courses, like decision maths, financial principles etc. whereas the two years leading up to it had been more general, things like real/complex variable theory, symmetry and groups, linear algebra, blah-de-blah.

Then masters was some finance stuff, so pretty trival maths, but also stochastic calculus, more advanced stats (I hate stats), numerical methods for estimating a solution to an insoluble SDE etc. that kind of thing.

Took Honors Theoretical Differential Equations as a freshman. Impressive sounding course. Wouldn't recommend it haha.

Liner/Matrix Algebra was much more useful. Though the end of the class started to get pretty Theoretical and more difficult.

Oh, and thus has been my experience with the calc numbers

Calc 1 (equivalent of AP Calc AB) - Beginning calc stuff. Deferentiating

Calc 2 (equivalent of AP Calc BC) - Adds in Integrals and other stuff. Maybe series? Don't remember. Weed out course for engineering at University

Calc 3 - Multi Variable

Calc 4 - Diffy Q's

she is impressed

stock-photo-passion-for-chocolate-260831

Archived