THE BROWNS BOARD

So if horton doesnt work out....

Clevfan4life

I honestly don't think Hue had a whole lot of input into Hortons hiring. Im sure they talked to him and he was fine with hiring Horton back...but i think the prevailing reason HOrton is back is because he was getting let go by TN and "it's a job" and most most importantly...after him I don't beleive there was anyone with NFL exp willing to take this job. The FO probably won't admit that but I would hard pressed to think that if the other big names that were out there last offseason were willing to come here, that HOrton would still have been the choice.

BAMA is a great program, but it is not invincible. #AnyGivenSaturday

One win does not a thorn make. Ole Miss finally became the one team to beat them twice in a row. Promptly fell to 5-6 this season. No one will stay at the top with them. 6 straight #1 recruiting classes in a row (going on 7) will do that.

I'd rather be at FSU, especially if I think I'm first in line to replace Saban anyway.

I think, after the Bowl games the SEC did come out ahead in 2015. Here is what I found at one point through this season:

SEC vs. ACC

W L T Win % PFPG PAPG

2016 2 3 0 40.0 26.4 30.0

2015 6 4 0 60.0 27.0 26.5

2014 3 5 0 37.5 30.0 29.8

Some other games may have been played since the ACC had that 3-2 advantage.

You said "better for like the last 3 years," then promptly displayed how 2015 did not support your theory. The 2-3 2016 figure is correct, and is likely to be made 4-5 after next week, only to promptly be flipped after bowl games.

Btw, the all time record is 298-151-10. In the CBS era, 145-89-3.

You said "better for like the last 3 years," then promptly displayed how 2015 did not support your theory. The 2-3 2016 figure is correct, and is likely to be made 4-5 after next week, only to promptly be flipped after bowl games.

Btw, the all time record is 298-151-10. In the CBS era, 145-89-3.

You know our season is going well when we're arguing about pom poms for SEC football again. The SEC has had quite a good run but it sure seems like there's far less programs willing to challenge Alabama's dominance in that conference today while the SEC East isn't as strong as people want to think it is. In the past, Florida or Auburn or LSU could win the SEC but who's challenging Bama recently and how often? My guess is if Nick Saban had this kind of luck at Michigan State - he'd probably still be there instead of looking to the academic standards of LSU to change his path toward dominating a conference.

In the 5 or 6 years at Michigan State - how many times did he win the Big 10? The only time he reflected a record somewhat close to what he has now was when he went 9-2. I think you'd be surprised if you compared D'Antonio's tenure there to Saban's. There's no arguing with Saban's success at LSU and Alabama. I definitely see a guy that preferred to dominate the SEC as easily as he always does it rather than taking on the challenges of attracting recruits to the long winters in a Great Lake climate. You take an 18 year old recruit full of testosterone to a home game in a warm weather climate where there's all kinds of hotties in the crowd - who's choosing the cornfields of Iowa, Nebraska or extended winters of the Great Lakes? When I see a Kirk Ferentz or D'Antonio or Harbaugh winning in spite of the disadvantageous recruiting attractions I'm impressed with their accomplishments up against it while even Les Miles could win National Championships (plural) at LSU.

When you really think about it, Mizzou made the SEC Championship game in just it's 2nd and 3rd years in the SEC. Meanwhile, A&M went into Alabama and beat them in their front yard when no one else in that conference seemed capable of doing so. So exactly how tough was that SEC on those 2 newcomers throughout their first 3 or 4 years?

Ever since UT (TN) raised their academic standards the year after their last SEC Championship Game - they've participated in just as many Conference Championship Games as Vanderbilt. I'm glad they don't sell beer at Vandy games because when I had season tickets the LSU crowd outnumbering us chanted "we got spirit yes we do - we got spirit how bout you?" Not expecting any reply whatsoever, the Vandy student section chorused up a "We have academic standards yes we do we have academic standards - how bout you?" I would have lost an entire mouth full of good beer on that. That said, I never did hear Vandy fans chanting "SEC SEC SEC" when James Franklin won 9 games there back to back seasons or even when their baseball team went to College World Series 2 years in a row. Living about 70 miles north of the Bama border - I don't hear many of their fans chanting SEC either. It's usually teams like Arkansas, GA, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss State and others that won't ever win the conference championship traditionally finding the need to excuse their inability to do so.

Now that James Franklin, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Mark D'Antonio have joined Kirk Ferentz and Pat Fitzgerald in the Big 10 - I dare say I'm finally seeing a lot more intriguing matchups in that conference. It's nice to see some previously strong football traditions like Penn State and Nebraska finding their winning ways again. I don't hate the SEC - I'm just a traditionalist that likes to believe good football isn't exclusive to just 1 region. When I look at the Big 10, I see Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State as legit teams while the next tier of Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan State, Minnesota are teams you can't blow off any more.

With the exception of watching Pitt beat Clemson - the ACC is a freakin bore.

With the exception of watching Pitt beat Clemson - the ACC is a freakin bore.

This is the only relevant point you made in that entire post. This isn't about SEC versus anyone other than the ACC, and it is clearly better.

This is the only relevant point you made in that entire post. This isn't about SEC versus anyone other than the ACC, and it is clearly better.

Says the 1 guy who had to type "How many times do I have to tell everyone I'm not just an A&M fan - I'm a Cleveland Browns fan too!" Gee, why would you ever have to type such a statement?

Like I replied to your SEC comparison, you know our season is going well when we're arguing about pom poms for SEC football again - especially in a thread titled "So if Horton doesn't work out..."

Because a lot of people on this board didn't read it the first time?

Gipper made the statement originally. Go whine to him. What's funny is you have spent more time arguing about the SEC on this thread than I have. All I said was the ACC doesn't beat the SEC on the field, which the numbers bear out. And which you confirmed. But please, do continue.

Because a lot of people on this board didn't read it the first time?

LMAO at how much this is flying over your head as I recall how often fans in here reminded you this is a Browns Board - not an A&M fan club especially considering your lecture about "relevant" today. Your "How many times do I have to tell everyone" was funny/sad because you were the only one on the board that didn't understand why you had to keep typing it. You still don't get it. It wasn't because they missed it the first time. It was because of your patriotism to A&M and the conference they now play on. - Flugel

Gipper made the statement originally. Go whine to him.

Because you were the only one crying about my SEC comments and you already whined enough to Gipper about your conference.

- Flugel

Still isn't, but if you want to cling on to your one game in 2016...by all means.

In that same vein, however, the Cleveland Browns ARE the worst franchise in the NFL.

Over the last 3 year period, the ACC has a winning record vs. the SEC. Sorry if that fact is inconvenient.

And....the thing is, though the Browns, yes, seem to be worse than anyone else.....they could still lose out on the #1 pick to the 49ers....and they could possibly steal the guy we want in the draft.

(though....I don't think they should. I think Kaepernick is still a good QB....that he should continue to start for them......and they should take other needs in the draft than QB....so we can take Trubisky)

Over the last 3 year period, the ACC has a winning record vs. the SEC. Sorry if that fact is inconvenient.

And....the thing is, though the Browns, yes, seem to be worse than anyone else.....they could still lose out on the #1 pick to the 49ers....and they could possibly steal the guy we want in the draft.

(though....I don't think they should. I think Kaepernick is still a good QB....that he should continue to start for them......and they should take other needs in the draft than QB....so we can take Trubisky)

Right...by one game over that span. Once bowl games come and go, it will be back to normal. No more No.2 Clemson playing unranked Auburn.

Right...by one game over that span. Once bowl games come and go, it will be back to normal. No more No.2 Clemson playing unranked Auburn.

Except for Alabama, every other SEC team this year is mediocre or worse. Sure Bama may take care of a Clemson....and someone may beat Wake Forest.....otherwise I would venture to say that any bowl matchups between an SEC and an ACC team would likely see the ACC team the odds favorite.

Florida vs. FSU will be a big prove it game.

Ray Horton is the defensive version of Maurice Carthon. If he wasn't black, he would be the asst. LB coach.

Belichick wouldn't have gotten much more out of this group this year, if at all. Horton had one year the last time he was here and it was a rebuild. This is an even bigger rebuild and it's not even a full year in. Unfortunately it will take at least another 1-2 years to know if this defense under Horton is going anywhere. If the players improve on an individual basis that we can all see, but the overall defense still sucks than we know it's a coach thing.

If I see Nassib next year holding lineman off him and powering around the edge proper like, but Horton keeps pin holing him into the 5 tech where he's got to go up against guard and tackle constantly...than you can say there is a case of improper personnel assignment. All on the coaches.

Except for Alabama, every other SEC team this year is mediocre or worse. Sure Bama may take care of a Clemson....and someone may beat Wake Forest.....otherwise I would venture to say that any bowl matchups between an SEC and an ACC team would likely see the ACC team the odds favorite.

Florida vs. FSU will be a big prove it game.

Ha. 1-14 playing each other would be an absolute drubbing. It'd be even worse if they actually had to play our schedules.

You and the mouse in your pocket....or is that a mouse, or are you just glad to see me?

God bless ya! You've got a lot of Eddie Haskell in you.

Can you imagine the look on Wally Cleaver's face when Eddie Haskell was repeating this at the bus stop? "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the beaver last night?"

Archived