THE BROWNS BOARD

Bad fuel?

bbedward

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I regret taking it to the shop but all my tools are at my mom's house.

Should have rented a fuel pressure tester and tested a few things because if they tell me it's a bad fuel pump I'll be towing it to her house to replace it myself to save a few hundred bux

I hear that! I have every tool under the sun here and the big ones at mom's TWO garages (welder, big drill press, ramps, jack stands, etc x 10 ). I'm not up to fixing anything major now.

Just recently paid $300+ for "diagnosis ($99 alone) and change electric window motor...then weeks later $500+ for diagnosis, tie rod ends and front end alignment.

So much cheaper to DIY if you can swing it!

Well that was unexpected.

Said looks like the car skipped timing, no compression on any of the cylinders.

*Luckily* I purchased an extended warranty and it should be covered, but they want the engine torn down to confirm the diagnosis before approving the claim.

*Luckily* I purchased an extended warranty and it should be covered, but they want the engine torn down to confirm the diagnosis before approving the claim.

Yep timing belt and all that. They'll change the water pump and everything down the engine covers.

Yep timing belt and all that. They'll change the water pump and everything down the engine covers.

Yea pretty fucked up, I hope the warranty doesn't find any excuse not to cover it (it says timing chain/belt, cylinder head are covered under the powertrain)

But they will not approve the claim until they tear it down, which cost $270 out of my pocket.

Yea pretty fucked up, I hope the warranty doesn't find any excuse not to cover it (it says timing chain/belt, cylinder head are covered under the powertrain)

But they will not approve the claim until they tear it down, which cost $270 out of my pocket.

Trade it in on a Lexus or if you can't afford a Toyota or Honda. VW still rated shit in Consumer Reports.

would have never considered a timing chain jumping on a quick gas fill-up. but it happens. some guys pay far more than $270 for sex..Well, there she is, your move? Take her to bbedward palace & good luck..

Hyundai has a ten year warranty right? I was thinking about buying one but I'm a chevy freak and a new Malibu is what I want. Black on black with tint and black rims. Oh ya

10yr/100,000 on the powertrain I believe

All the generic foreign cars like this Hyundai, your corolla/camery, Honda are all the same to me. Nothing real special.

would have never considered a timing chain jumping on a quick gas fill-up. but it happens. some guys pay far more than $270 for sex..Well, there she is, your move? Take her to bbedward palace & good luck..

I told you what the fuck it was Gumby. Maybe next time you'll listen closer. :)

Ok I've posted enough on this topic. My guess fuel pump.

I told you what the fuck it was Gumby. Maybe next time you'll listen closer. :)

one post? what ever happen to "1 post from THE TRUTH"? it was like you always had a net to fall into to in cases like this. Maybe a Geico BS internet Protection Plan? Cause that's what we really do :D (than we call Flo at Progressive, hey girl hey)

one post? what ever happen to "1 post from THE TRUTH"? it was like you always had a net to fall into to in cases like this. Maybe a Geico BS internet Protection Plan? Cause that's what we really do :D (than we call Flo at Progressive, hey girl hey)

I was messing with you but hey thanks for paying attention. ;)

It's kind of fun watching this whole thing play out....well at least for us guys who don't have to shell out any money on it.

So when do you get the final news and what has to be done and how much?

Oh how simple cars used to be, my first car a used 1965 Mustang, my 1978 Chevy C-10 straight 6 I could practically sit inside the engine compartment, a trip to the parts store and you were all set.

It's kind of fun watching this whole thing play out....well at least for us guys who don't have to shell out any money on it.

Oh how simple cars used to be, my first car a used 1965 Mustang, my 1978 Chevy C-10 straight 6 I could practically sit inside the engine compartment, a trip to the parts store and you were all set.

I'm with you there. Before you had to guess and take chances, now you plug a box in and read a manual.

Monday probably, but the warranty company has to send out an inspector/adjuster and I won't know what I'm on the hook for until then. Probably just my $250 deductible.

I'm paying out of pocket now for the rental car which sucks with the holidays coming up, but the warranty company will also reimburse me for that.

Likely it'll need a new cylinder head (or new valves, but it's probably cheaper and quicker to just get a new one since they're bent in every cylinder. Plus timing chain, timing chain tensioner, new chain guides. Plus usual stuff - new coolant/oil. I'll also have them replace the water pump while they're in there even though it'd probably be out of my pocket.

Oh most insurance policies have a rental car provision same with major credit cards plus they're generally indemnified where you get copies of the bill and *legally collect on both.

*I'm checking the legal part out.

Monday probably, but the warranty company has to send out an inspector/adjuster and I won't know what I'm on the hook for until then. Probably just my $250 deductible.

I'm paying out of pocket now for the rental car which sucks with the holidays coming up, but the warranty company will also reimburse me for that.

Likely it'll need a new cylinder head (or new valves, but it's probably cheaper and quicker to just get a new one since they're bent in every cylinder. Plus timing chain, timing chain tensioner, new chain guides. Plus usual stuff - new coolant/oil. I'll also have them replace the water pump while they're in there even though it'd probably be out of my pocket.

It's routine they change it out. I went through the same thing in my Mazda kiddo. Final bill which I paid out of pocket around $1600.

I saw it yesterday because I had to go get something out of my car. Looked like every exhaust valve was bent and most of the intake valves, should have taken a picture.

They said the chain was loose and it had the "old-style" timing chain tensioner - which I guess VW has a revised part for it.

Also the water pump scenario is weird, it's driven by it's own little belt that connects to the balancing shaft - it's also connected to the engine oil cooler, all have lines and stuff going to the turbo. Probably not a thing covered under a timing tensioner failure because of the way it's designed - but I'll still have them replace it anyway since it requires removing the intake manifold to replace it.

I saw it yesterday because I had to go get something out of my car. Looked like every exhaust valve was bent and most of the intake valves, should have taken a picture.

They said the chain was loose and it had the "old-style" timing chain tensioner - which I guess VW has a revised part for it.

Also the water pump scenario is weird, it's driven by it's own little belt that connects to the balancing shaft - it's also connected to the engine oil cooler, all have lines and stuff going to the turbo. Probably not a thing covered under a timing tensioner failure because of the way it's designed - but I'll still have them replace it anyway since it requires removing the intake manifold to replace it.

What year is this car? What caused this major damage? How many miles?

What year is this car? What caused this major damage? How many miles?

2012, just under 100k miles. Timing chain tensioner failed causing chain to skip. Often happens after you shut off the engine the loose chain skips and then car won't start again or will run clunky. Interference engine so piston meets valves.

VW has a TSB and a revised timing chain tensioner part. But under the TSB they won't replace it unless it fails - which is a bit of a joke because when it fails it usually takes the valves with it. Of course they won't replace the valves/cylinder head as a result of its failure.

Under the warranty they will install a reman'd cylinder head and the revised timing chain tensioner with new chain/guides.

2012, just under 100k miles. Timing chain tensioner failed causing chain to skip. Often happens after you shut off the engine the loose chain skips and then car won't start again or will run clunky. Interference engine so piston meets valves.

VW has a TSB and a revised timing chain tensioner part. But under the TSB they won't replace it unless it fails - which is a bit of a joke because when it fails it usually takes the valves with it. Of course they won't replace the valves/cylinder head as a result of its failure.

Under the warranty they will install a reman'd cylinder head and the revised timing chain tensioner with new chain/guides.

They call it the tensioner and it's as big as your thumb. You were due for it to happen and when you get it fixed and ever sell it that's one of the questions you will be asked.

They call it the tensioner and it's as big as your thumb. You were due for it to happen and when you get it fixed and ever sell it that's one of the questions you will be asked.

There's a class action lawsuit I saw out there for these tensioners, but it's not much worry to me. I'll get the revised one and either new valves or a new cylinder head. They alluded to it being cheaper to just replace the cylinder head than machining/replacing the valves though

Archived