THE BROWNS BOARD

Forcing Racism

One Post

It's always been my school of thought that racism is a learned behavior. With that said, one can't honestly be provoked into racism unless they know no other alternative to prejudice and or stereotypes. These days it should be difficult for anyone to be racist. Especially since we see alternatives all around us to predjudices and stereotypes on a daily basis.

Part of our problem as a country is that we need to be brutally honest with each other. However we can't be without one side or the other getting offended. We ALL need to check our feelings at the door and have an intelligent dialogue. Notice I said intelligent.

We can say what's on our minds without cursing, slurs, or insults. We can communicate without clinging to generalization and unfounded biases. I know that's been our nature but maybe we should all make our way back to civilization.

To me my friend "forcing racism" and your opening post leads me to believe you've had something on your chest for a while and you haven't either realized it or you haven't had the courage to say what that something is.

Not trying to insult you but let's call it friendly challenge for you to get your point across without being "forced" into racism. Remember, you are who you choose to be. At times it is an act of discipline but it can be done.

Marcus one thing to remember is, and I've mentioned this before and I'm guessing there might be some truth to it, but I've heard it said that only rats and human beings fight with each other for no reason. I think it's natural for humans to rub each other the wrong way. If we look different and speak different languages that's easy, if not we will pick religious differences and if those aren't available nitpick amongst the same religion. Shiite vs. Sunni Catholic vs Protestant vs. Mormon Etc.

Anyway it's always easier to be at odds with other groups when we balkanize. I would imagine few of us have ever had a problem with a member of another race man to man or face-to-face . I like everybody.

I mentioned Al Sharpton Jesse Jackson have a rest before and I understand that you don't consider them your personal Representatives. Fair enough. However when the general public turns on a news show and sees these fuckers as the mouthpiece for an entire race it tends to piss them off. It would be that way if every time white issues were mentioned the media trotted out skinheads and klansmen. Most of us hate them.

I don't know how you guys can get the mainstream media to pick better Representatives.

And along those lines of organizing into groups it seems to me that black people tend to set themselves apart more than whites. Sure we like to find a little sub group butt that's usually more varied then just black vs. White. Irish-americans Scottish Americans English Americans Dutch Russian etcetera etcetera are all white people but don't really consider ourselves homogeneous unless we're talking about being Americans.

My personal opinion of slavery is that throughout history every group of human beings has a legitimate beef with another group of human beings.

My Irish and Prussian ancestors most likely had some gripe with the church or Frederick the Great.

I just don't know what it was and I don't care anymore. Even though it's st. Patrick's Day icing rebel songs at my gigs.

I just can't see using that, slavery, as justification for bad behavior within whatever group you might want to associate me with.

You don't see that within the Jewish community and I would say they've had as much hardship as anybody in the world.

I think there is personal and political profit to be made by stirring up problems between our two races and that sucks.

As far as social underachievement and high crime within the black community I think you guys have to handle that on your own. You are probably doing the best you can just by being a stand-up guy and providing a good example for the young people. I think that's all any of us can do.

WSS

Marcus,

I really don't have an arguement to racism either way of the spectrum. I guess I would have to give you my own story and let you draw conclusion. But what I can say in truth that everyone has their own prejudice toward another race and it's by the way they were brought up before seeing the world and opening their minds. It's a two way street which a lot of people forget.

I grew up in a small town in Il and went to college at a small Baptist school not to mention doing time in a federal prison for some time. Yes I've touched some different bases and have learned over the years that some separate themselves while others take the opportunity to unite and become one.

My father was a Baptist preacher. Some hold this in high regard but he was a racist pig. Behind closed doors he was very hateful and what he said resonated within us kids and we took this into a world where we were closed to until we seen the world for what it is. Now we weren't nazis mind you but just blind to real world thinking.

As I grew up I learned its just better and easier to just work. I enjoy being at work because it's my escape from reality with good excuse. It's sad really, I've missed so much in my life but it's ok because in my mind I feel a sense of worthiness that's masked behind ethic. I mean "hey Mikes not here again he's at work". Saying so its not bragging at all, it's my crutch of staying sober and at the same time having a feeling of self worth along with making money to have the things my family enjoys with having saving money.

Now that I've told you a bit about myself.. I can tell you at an early age I was more than eager to be friends with a black person. In a "George Catansza" sort of way I seemed a bit awkward but had an innocence about it. I grew up idolizing Lou Brock the outfielder for the Cardinals. With my childhood and my freedom all coming into one into manhood i felt relieved of being on my own with my own feelings. Problem is I quickly learned that racism comes from both ends; not just the white folk.

Now at 50 yrs of age I feel well rounded in so many ways. I feel wise at times still learning things at the same time. I've learned that I like black people because they make me laugh. I can look a black person in the eye and they know "I'm alright". Now that I'm my own man I know in my house and my family I won't be what my father is or was.

Forcing rasism to me is the poking of another race to the point of picking prejudice. Lately with the political bullshit and police shootings and everything it's really hard on all of us. Yes Marcus I'm scared of thugs. I'm scared of loud thumping music in a black neighborhood. I just hope they know I'm a good man too.

Peace

It's always been my school of thought that racism is a learned behavior. With that said, one can't honestly be provoked into racism unless they know no other alternative to prejudice and or stereotypes. These days it should be difficult for anyone to be racist. Especially since we see alternatives all around us to predjudices and stereotypes on a daily basis.

Part of our problem as a country is that we need to be brutally honest with each other. However we can't be without one side or the other getting offended. We ALL need to check our feelings at the door and have an intelligent dialogue. Notice I said intelligent.

We can say what's on our minds without cursing, slurs, or insults. We can communicate without clinging to generalization and unfounded biases. I know that's been our nature but maybe we should all make our way back to civilization.

To me my friend "forcing racism" and your opening post leads me to believe you've had something on your chest for a while and you haven't either realized it or you haven't had the courage to say what that something is.

Not trying to insult you but let's call it friendly challenge for you to get your point across without being "forced" into racism. Remember, you are who you choose to be. At times it is an act of discipline but it can be done.

Stuart

Being brutally honest is not part of a liberals DNA or they wouldn't be liberals.

Now we cannot mention "inner city" or big city names because it implies black crime and that is racist.

Let's not misunderstand one another. I'm not trying to use slavery as any means of justification of criminal behavior. However, we would be disillusioned to say that slavery has very little social impact especially since the period lasted generations. Also if black people would not have had to scrape, claw, and struggle even after slavery was long abolished; I firmly believe we as a nation would be much further along. The lack of knowledge among white people about all black slavery entailed has led to a melignant sense of indifference. Much like the lack of acknowledgement of Jim Crow, and other facets of the Civil Rights Movement has led to indifference on part of whites and frustration on part of blacks.

As for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson go, stop listening to men of their ilk. Listen to the ones that still live with discrimination. Listen to the ones that live right and raise their children right. The world (media) would have you believe black people are inherently lazy and immoral people. I'd like to believe you see the opposite more than you see the lie that's been set in motion by the media. If you haven't seen the opposite I challenge you from this day forward to seek it out. God Bless you fellas and an early Happy Thanksgiving.

Let's not misunderstand one another. I'm not trying to use slavery as any means of justification of criminal behavior. However, we would be disillusioned to say that slavery has very little social impact especially since the period lasted generations. Also if black people would not have had to scrape, claw, and struggle even after slavery was long abolished; I firmly believe we as a nation would be much further along. The lack of knowledge among white people about all black slavery entailed has led to a melignant sense of indifference. Much like the lack of acknowledgement of Jim Crow, and other facets of the Civil Rights Movement has led to indifference on part of whites and frustration on part of blacks.

As for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson go, stop listening to men of their ilk. Listen to the ones that still live with discrimination. Listen to the ones that live right and raise their children right. The world (media) would have you believe black people are inherently lazy and immoral people. I'd like to believe you see the opposite more than you see the lie that's been set in motion by the media. If you haven't seen the opposite I challenge you from this day forward to seek it out. God Bless you fellas and an early Happy Thanksgiving.

Stay cool Marcus and Happy Thanksgiving as well.

In a lighter side I have a story a black friend told me. We were talking about break dancing back in the day. Now I don't break dance or listen to rap but I listened as he told me...Pharapharsing btw

"ya we used to go to the mall and bring our cardboard and boom box. We'd dance to get attention but there was this one kid that was so good...every time he'd show up to dance we'd pack up our shit and go to the other end of the mall"

Lmao

In a lighter side I have a story a black friend told me. We were talking about break dancing back in the day. Now I don't break dance or listen to rap but I listened as he told me...Pharapharsing btw

"ya we used to go to the mall and bring our cardboard and boom box. We'd dance to get attention but there was this one kid that was so good...every time he'd show up to dance we'd pack up our shit and go to the other end of the mall"

Lmao

Stuart

And you find that funny why?

StuartAnd you find that funny why?

It's just funny. Don't you remember the break dancers at the mall? I was the kid in parachute pants and a Quite Riot concert teeshirt with high top converses on. Who were you? Oh the one at the arcade with daddy's dollars?

Me? Think Trump is a racist? No. Just showing his support down south. And I don't think the Confederate Flag is racist either by the way.

Stuart

I was surprised because I didn't think you were a lefty, but that's exactly how a lefty would post in order to make a point. That flag to them is a symbol of racism.

Thanks for setting things straight.

Me either. It's part of heritage. But in some cases the American flag Trumps it.

The only heritage the Confederate flag has is in being the flag of a failed country that was defeated by the USA in a war over 150 years ago. If anything, it's a flag of fucking losers.

I had to delete one post because I knew you'd blow it all out and make some deal about it. You're no worse then the ones crying with a trophy.

Stuart

Haha...One Post is worried about what I'll say. Am I too much like your daddy?

I don't know where you're going with the "crying with a trophy" comment, but anyone I've seen crying with a trophy is a winner, cause they just won something big.

For the record I think you're ok Stinkholes. Although a Steelers fan you're in touch with reality which is a breath of fresh air. Keep hatin' because it makes us more better er. :)

Wow...a vote of confidence from One Post!

I feel so much better now.

Keep hatin' who? I don't hate you One Post. I laugh at you and your constant struggle to formulate a coherent sentence.

Wow...a vote of confidence from One Post!I feel so much better now.Keep hatin' who? I don't hate you One Post. I laugh at you and your constant struggle to formulate a coherent sentence.

Ya ok. No one wants to read a book on a message board or fb. I just don't want to bore you. Keep em coming.

StuartHaha...One Post is worried about what I'll say. Am I too much like your daddy?I don't know where you're going with the "crying with a trophy" comment, but anyone I've seen crying with a trophy is a winner, cause they just won something big.

My dad sucks he really does. I talk to you more than him...and you're a Steelers fan. Anyway rock on stink baits.

Archived