THE BROWNS BOARD

Myron Ebell

MLD Woody

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

say, why not just have "experts" say we need to tax food really high and make a lot of

money to send to...

poor countries.....

you know. redistribute Rich countries wealth to poor countries. Any kind of stupid tax will work.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/11/19/uk-researchers-tax-food-to-reduce-climate-change/

In the 1990s, while serving as Policy Director at the Frontiers of Freedom Institute, Ebell worked as part of a team to make regulating the tobacco industry "politically unpalatable".[33] In 2011, as part of its "Control Abuse of Power" (CAP) project, the CEI launched lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of the 1998 tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (MSA).[34][35]

You can call the next election. Trump is already loading the dems up with ammo. If the dems manage to run someone who's not the most corrupt politician to ever run for office, it's a smoke out..no pun intended. If he can't even get big tobacco right, wow..just wow. I guess we should still be allowing the tobacco industries to market to children.

Generally, the participating manufacturers agree not to "take any action, directly or indirectly, to target Youth within any Settling State in the advertising, promotion or marketing of Tobacco Products, or take any action the primary purpose of which is to initiate, maintain or increase the incidence of Youth smoking within any Settling State." (§III(a))

The restrictions specified included bans on outdoor billboards, advertising on transit vehicles, as well as restrictions on sports marketing, event sponsorships and promotional products.

That was part of the agreement Ebell fought. Trump is really surrounding himself with the "best and brightest" huh?

Really Ed?

I was all for giving Trump a chance. Drain the swamp and what not. But not to bring in people that are just as bad.

He's bringing in a guy who's clueless about global warming. My question is what exactly should we be doing about global warming? We can't hamstring ourselves economically for the environment while India and China say fuck it and do whatever the hell they want and take advantage of whatever niche we'd be leaving.

He's bringing in a guy who's clueless about global warming. My question is what exactly should we be doing about global warming? We can't hamstring ourselves economically for the environment while India and China say fuck it and do whatever the hell they want and take advantage of whatever niche we'd be leaving.

Woody is our alarmist in chief and even he has no idea what to do about it.

The left just want somebody to whine and wring their hands over it, not really to take any action.

WSS

Right, but we can do that without a Climate Denier, pesticide harm Denier, and tobacco industry protector, that takes money for all of these, in charge of the EPA...

Woody is our alarmist in chief and even he has no idea what to do about it.

The left just want somebody to whine and wring their hands over it, not really to take any action.

WSS

I've given suggestions on what I think we could do, and yes, it involves regulation and taxes.

Your responses on the subject have always been "we can't do anything, so why bother." Groundbreaking stuff.

Jack shit will get done while we're still having to debate if climate change is happening. And now with this guy in charge, we are taking giant steps back.

Fuck all of those scientists and experts any. What do they know? It's snowing outside!

And fuck you trying to discredit me by calling me an alarmist. I haven't once come in here yelling about the world ending tomorrow. I'm listening to the experts on the subject, that say we're affecting the climate, and we should start doing something about it, to avoid negative consequences down the road.

I've given suggestions on what I think we could do, and yes, it involves regulation and taxes.

Your responses on the subject have always been "we can't do anything, so why bother." Groundbreaking stuff.

Jack shit will get done while we're still having to debate if climate change is happening. And now with this guy in charge, we are taking giant steps back.

Fuck all of those scientists and experts any. What do they know? It's snowing outside!

And fuck you trying to discredit me by calling me an alarmist. I haven't once come in here yelling about the world ending tomorrow. I'm listening to the experts on the subject, that say we're affecting the climate, and we should start doing something about it, to avoid negative consequences down the road.

Waaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaa.

My issue with it is that the government and corporations will never do anything for long-term good at the expense short-term profits. We aren't going to see major attempts to slow manmade climate change until the climate makes it too expensive to fill up your tank or put food on your plate. As such, it's at the bottom of my list of priorities.

My issue with it is that the government and corporations will never do anything for long-term good at the expense short-term profits. We aren't going to see major attempts to slow manmade climate change until the climate makes it too expensive to fill up your tank or put food on your plate. As such, it's at the bottom of my list of priorities.

So don't do anything about it until it is a real problem?

In fairness Woody jack shit has gotten done over the last 8 years of Obama rule.

WSS

The Paris agreement is something. We also generate more renewable energy now.

It is hard to do much when you have to fight ignorant politicians at every turn. Ex:

Which gets back to my point. It will be hard to do much when a sizable (and now controlling) portion of our govt. doesn't even believe it's an issue.

So don't do anything about it until it is a real problem?

Practically, I think that's where we are. We've got wind farms, solar farms, and nuclear power plants all over the country. We're working on fusion, but nowhere near a practical solution. A huge amount of greenhouse gas comes from the meat industry, and unless we either collectively go vegan (fuck that) or start using insects as a major protein source (much more open to this, but people will think it's disgusting), nothing is going to change. The other major culprit is the auto industry, and we seem to be making progress towards an electric car.

What else should we be doing? If we back off shale and fracking, then we're living off the whims of the assholes in OPEC. I'm okay with taking steps toward combating it, but I don't think any serious changes will fly with the majority of taxpayers, therefore, it's at the bottom of my priorities.

Practically, I think that's where we are. We've got wind farms, solar farms, and nuclear power plants all over the country. We're working on fusion, but nowhere near a practical solution. A huge amount of greenhouse gas comes from the meat industry, and unless we either collectively go vegan (fuck that) or start using insects as a major protein source (much more open to this, but people will think it's disgusting), nothing is going to change. The other major culprit is the auto industry, and we seem to be making progress towards an electric car.

What else should we be doing? If we back off shale and fracking, then we're living off the whims of the assholes in OPEC. I'm okay with taking steps toward combating it, but I don't think any serious changes will fly with the majority of taxpayers, therefore, it's at the bottom of my priorities.

Which is all well and good, but putting a climate denier in charge of the EPA moves us backwards. We don' have to tell everyone they need to be vegan, but we could at least agree it is a real thing and move forward.

Exactly.

So, Vapor, you've been a fairly ardent Trump fan, does him 'bringing in a guy who's clueless about global warming' make a difference for you? I mean, most people in government do actually have some idea what it's about, even if it's not their job, while this guy is heading up the environment agency? You can see also the other things he's involved in - coal, tobacco, deregulation etc - do you think this guy will be a force for good in terms of protecting the environment, the air, the rivers etc? Is he going to bang the drum for consequences for companies that dump waste irresponsibly?

Archived