THE BROWNS BOARD

Myron Ebell

MLD Woody

So, Vapor, you've been a fairly ardent Trump fan, does him 'bringing in a guy who's clueless about global warming' make a difference for you? I mean, most people in government do actually have some idea what it's about, even if it's not their job, while this guy is heading up the environment agency? You can see also the other things he's involved in - coal, tobacco, deregulation etc - do you think this guy will be a force for good in terms of protecting the environment, the air, the rivers etc? Is he going to bang the drum for consequences for companies that dump waste irresponsibly?

Clueless?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Vapor, you've been a fairly ardent Trump fan, does him 'bringing in a guy who's clueless about global warming' make a difference for you? I mean, most people in government do actually have some idea what it's about, even if it's not their job, while this guy is heading up the environment agency? You can see also the other things he's involved in - coal, tobacco, deregulation etc - do you think this guy will be a force for good in terms of protecting the environment, the air, the rivers etc? Is he going to bang the drum for consequences for companies that dump waste irresponsibly?

It really doesn't make a difference to me because the issue simply isn't that high on my list of priorities. The things you listed are bad things, for sure, but I'm willing to put up with them if we fix other issues that I believe are more pressing.

It really doesn't make a difference to me because the issue simply isn't that high on my list of priorities. The things you listed are bad things, for sure, but I'm willing to put up with them if we fix other issues that I believe are more pressing.

Which of those issues does this appointment fix

If someone who understood climate change was appointed to this position, what issues would that fix? What efforts have been made to stem climate change by the Obama administration? As far as I can tell, the Paris Agreement was a feel-good circlejerk that changed nothing. If I'm wrong here, let me know, this topic isn't really my forte.

Would you be ok if he thought he understood that mankind might have an effect but he didn't believe we knew how much or how to make meaningful change? Or even everybody's favorite plan of a carbon tax wouldn't help and would be injurious to the economy ? Seems like that's the opinion of a lot of folks and you were just mad if they are on the silly side that denies that it's even happening.

WSS

Im guessing agreements like the paris accords are stepping stones for the future since climate change isnt going to be "fixed" overnight. Just a wild guess though

I don't think it even takes effect until 2020 and then it's just basically a guideline, or something, but most importantly a big check from us. Either 10 or 100 billion dollars.

WSS

Followup because I misunderstood your question. I don't really care what issues this specific appointment does or doesn't fix. I'm more concerned with

1. a change to our warmongering foreign policy. No more opposing Russia just because. Sorry too many millions of deaths and displaced people. Obama was no different than Bush, and Hillary would've been no different than Obama.

2. having a gigantic fuck you sent to the GOP establishment and the DNC establishment whose policies got us here in the first place

3. Having a gigantic fuck you sent to the media, who played an essential role in creating The Donald

4. I want congressional term limits and bans on them being able to lobby

5. 2nd amendment rights not being eroded

6. Increased border security

7. I don't want large numbers of refugees from wartorn hardcore Islamic countries coming here. Leave them to their surrounding countries

8. A gigantic fuck you to everyone whose first reaction to Trump supporters is to close their ears, cover their eyes and shout "racist! xenophobe! idiot!" Their hubris throughout the election has made these last few weeks very enjoyable for me.

A Trump vote is the only way I can see any of these things happening. Lots still needs to be done, and who knows what he's actually going to accomplish, but it was very much worth it for me to take a chance on him instead of going with more of the same old for 4 more years.

My biggest concerns with a Trump presidency are:

1. His idiotic views on net neutrality

2. Pence being president if they do him like JFK

3. Climate change is a distant third

If someone who understood climate change was appointed to this position, what issues would that fix? What efforts have been made to stem climate change by the Obama administration? As far as I can tell, the Paris Agreement was a feel-good circlejerk that changed nothing. If I'm wrong here, let me know, this topic isn't really my forte.

Well you responded to my question with more questions, so I don't feel it was answered. What exactly does Ebell bring to the table?

So far I see him as a Climate, tobacco, pesticide Denier that is supported by those industries. Not draining the Swamp, and not someone I'd want in charge of our environmental agency

Edit: see your response. Has nothing to do with Ebell, just Trump..

Followup because I misunderstood your question. I don't really care what issues this specific appointment does or doesn't fix. I'm more concerned with

1. a change to our warmongering foreign policy. No more opposing Russia just because. Sorry too many millions of deaths and displaced people. Obama was no different than Bush, and Hillary would've been no different than Obama.

2. having a gigantic fuck you sent to the GOP establishment and the DNC establishment whose policies got us here in the first place

3. Having a gigantic fuck you sent to the media, who played an essential role in creating The Donald

4. I want congressional term limits and bans on them being able to lobby

5. 2nd amendment rights not being eroded

6. Increased border security

7. I don't want large numbers of refugees from wartorn hardcore Islamic countries coming here. Leave them to their surrounding countries

8. A gigantic fuck you to everyone whose first reaction to Trump supporters is to close their ears, cover their eyes and shout "racist! xenophobe! idiot!" Their hubris throughout the election has made these last few weeks very enjoyable for me.

A Trump vote is the only way I can see any of these things happening. Lots still needs to be done, and who knows what he's actually going to accomplish, but it was very much worth it for me to take a chance on him instead of going with more of the same old for 4 more years.

My biggest concerns with a Trump presidency are:

1. His idiotic views on net neutrality

2. Pence being president if they do him like JFK

3. Climate change is a distant third

That's like saying "I don't care about who plays wide receiver until we get our QB and center sorted, so I'm going to put spencer drango out there"

There isn't a cap on the amount of skill and knowledge you can have in government, Trump's just appointed a 'shill', to use Ed's second favourite word, for all those industries that would like to see a lot less regulation, and a lot more freedom to just screw up the local and global environment. It's not like you have to just put a 7th round guy in there because other needs are greater.

Well you responded to my question with more questions, so I don't feel it was answered. What exactly does Ebell bring to the table?

So far I see him as a Climate, tobacco, pesticide Denier that is supported by those industries. Not draining the Swamp, and not someone I'd want in charge of our environmental agency

Edit: see your response. Has nothing to do with Ebell, just Trump..

That's correct. In a two-party system, I'm going to take wins where I can. No candidate is ever going to be perfect.

If you had to list your hierarchy of things that are important for a president, what would they be? I'd also like to echo what Steve said. I have no idea what this person in the Obama administration accomplished. Literally no clue. To me, that explains some of why I value this position so little. It doesn't seem like anyone else on the board knows what they did either. If that person did, in fact, make some great strides towards sustainability, then maybe our opinion on the environment would matter more for my vote. But I really don't think they did.

That's like saying "I don't care about who plays wide receiver until we get our QB and center sorted, so I'm going to put spencer drango out there"

There isn't a cap on the amount of skill and knowledge you can have in government, Trump's just appointed a 'shill', to use Ed's second favourite word, for all those industries that would like to see a lot less regulation, and a lot more freedom to just screw up the local and global environment. It's not like you have to just put a 7th round guy in there because other needs are greater.

That's a shit comparison to how I feel. A more apt comparison would be - oh, this guy on our practice squad isn't worth shit, let's replace him with another person of equal or lesser value. It's mostly irrelevant.

So you're going to sit here and criticize me for being unable to name anything that Ebell brings to the table, but you can't name anything that his predecessor did? This demonstrates exactly why this position has minimal importance. If this guy becomes the Secretary of Energy, then yeah, I'd be a little more concerned, and Chris's analogy would be appropriate. But he's only the head of a transition team. This position won't make a big difference. Why is it such a big deal to you?

So you're going to sit here and criticize me for being unable to name anything that Ebell brings to the table, but you can't name anything that his predecessor did? This demonstrates exactly why this position has minimal importance. If this guy becomes the Secretary of Energy, then yeah, I'd be a little more concerned, and Chris's analogy would be appropriate. But he's only the head of a transition team. This position won't make a big difference. Why is it such a big deal to you?

Exactly Vapor. They won't admit that they don't know everything when they didn't even know Trump would win like us. Consider the source...

what did Obamas EPA chief(s) accomplish?

Lisa Jackson

Gina McCarthy

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/08/19/obamas_toxic_environmental_pollution_agency_127814.html

out-of-control bureaucracy whose primary mission is not the Earth's preservation, but self-preservation.

weve seen this ALL the time with Obamas regime .... so WATT?

Brady Quinn as a previous QB doesn't make Brandon Weeden a better player.

What does that have to do with anything? The head of the EPA transition team is nowhere near as important to the US as a quarterback is to a football team. Nor as a left tackle is to a football team. As I said before, this position is the equivalent of the last guy on the practice squad. If he's more important than that, you need to show me some evidence of this position's importance, because I could not tell you a single thing that he nor his predecessor has accomplished. If you can show that I'm wrong, I'd be happy to admit it.

Look. I answered your question. What does Ebell bring to the table? Nothing. Which is the same amount his predecessor brought to the table. Are you going to answer my questions or keep giving me the same kind of obtuse responses that Steve gives you? Am I in bizarro-world here? Aside from EPA employees, who bases their vote off of a president's EPA transition team appointment?

Brady Quinn as a previous QB doesn't make Brandon Weeden a better player.

What does that have to do with anything? The head of the EPA transition team is nowhere near as important to the US as a quarterback is to a football team. Nor as a left tackle is to a football team. As I said before, this position is the equivalent of the last guy on the practice squad. If he's more important than that, you need to show me some evidence of this position's importance, because I could not tell you a single thing that he nor his predecessor has accomplished. If you can show that I'm wrong, I'd be happy to admit it.

Look. I answered your question. What does Ebell bring to the table? Nothing. Which is the same amount his predecessor brought to the table. Are you going to answer my questions or keep giving me the same kind of obtuse responses that Steve gives you? Am I in bizarro-world here? Aside from EPA employees, who bases their vote off of a president's EPA transition team appointment?

A very good basic analogy right here.

Archived