THE BROWNS BOARD

Could Hue be one and done?

Canton Dawg

I hear you, Mike, but I'm not convinced Hue is the guy to give that control to...

Bill has earned that right, but thanks to the continuity of his long association with Adams, he probably doesn't spend more than an hour a week during the season thinking about prospects excepting what positions need upgrading or a succession plan. However, once the final gun of their final game sounds the end of his game review, I'm betting he shifts gears like a mofo...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear you, Mike, but I'm not convinced Hue is the guy to give that control to...

Bill has earned that right, but thanks to the continuity of his long association with Adams, he probably doesn't spend more than an hour a week during the season thinking about prospects excepting what positions need upgrading or a succession plan. However, once the final gun of their final game sounds the end of his game review, I'm betting he shifts gears like a mofo...

Ah yes, Mi compadre, let us back the truck up to earlier in the year....

Hue creams his pants watching R Glass III running around in a t-shirt and shorts. Hey Hueless the Clueless. I've been to a training camp, or 10, and watching the qbs warm up, it looks like all their passes are laser guided- with zero pressure on them. Put some heat on them- and decipher an NFL defense- not so easy.

Draft Day 2 "Just trust me on this one." That you found our backup qb in the third round? Sort of like Holmgren with The Real McCoy. Kessler might be a tad better than Colt, or Charlie's Fries- but Kess is one KO away from sitting out a year.

....and you can bet he has final say on who comes aboard & who leaves. That's what Hue needs.

Kinda a mixed mess in decisions making with Hue & Sashi..Rams S Rodney Mcleod was a close miss in FA period with Browns. We settled for Rahim Moore. Mcleod a Eagle giving them the leadership Campbell & Kindred could really use.And a chance to play Campbell/Kindred at FS was missed? goes to gm, But Reynolds looks like a good pick-up.. Hue sits with a RG3 decision pending a lightning bolt. Not sure if Hawk's previous time with Hue made Gabe expendable? But we knew they were going to keep there drafted news pups. But all 5 of them at WR? I just see Bill playing this out differently. Happy Birthday!! Canton "Old LegHumpper" Mike!!! :)

Anyone who thinks Hue Jackson is not the right coach for this job should listen to Herm Edwards because he gets it.

I'm a stick with Hue guy, but...

I want to see him get a real OC.

Been thinking on the whole "PFF is a joke because they rate our OL high individually yet we suck collectively" argument. That failure is in a word "coaching". Is it on Hue? Pep? The position coaches? I'd argue all of the above... and that's knowing that if all are accountable, then none are responsible.

Certainly the position coaches can coach technique when it comes to coordinating assignments, but then there's a whole 'nother level of OL coordination within the play, with the TE assignment(s), with the RB assignment(s)... and that usually falls to an OC... the coach with the full picture of what a play should look like in his mind.

I just can't see our HC doing his job plus an OCs plus coaching QBs (plus ???) without something going wanting. Maybe Pep can fill the gap, but that doesn't feel seamless from play conception thru installation thru repetitions to a final polished product.

Give up the Offensive reins, Hue... including play calling. Let your fully committed OC with his feel for what will work based upon his total immersion in the preparation process make the calls. You can still control the "aggression dial" on game day... and coach up your OC... like a HC should.

Any freed up time might be well spent with the DC. It's rumored he could use a little help as well...

End of HC rant V3.0...

If Hue has to say anything, then he was lied to going into this situation...

There will of course, though, be a season review - did we meet expectations? If not, why not? Because our starting QB got injured after one game? Because our OL hasn't been as good as required without Mack and Schwartz? Because our secondary has been plagued by injuries?

The questions need asking, and the answers are there.

did we meet expectations? The questions need asking, and the answers are there.

I agree. The correct questions are.. Who set those expectations? What, precisely, was the basis for each expectation? What was the metric by which that expectation is measured? What was the explicit understanding with Hue when the assumptions behind those expectations proved to be completely false?

For example: An expectation could have been competent line play, as measured by sacks allowed or rushing totals. But whoever set that expectation clearly didn't anticipate Turnstile Erving.. and thus that expectation would have to be thrown out.

It can lead to it if the answers are the same every time. "Why did we suck?" "because the players aren't good enough..." leads to the FO getting a seat warmer...

I am no gambler, but I would bet that the words I highlighted will NEVER come out of Hue Jackson's mouth.

IMHO, his job is safe & should be. As Tour mentioned, Hue needs to delegate the OC function OFF his own shoulders, and I'm sure there are other areas upon which he can improve, but the man is a tough, determined leader (proven at the NFL before this year) & he will get the job done given time & the proper tools.

As Bob Dylan would say...."Hue ain't a goin' nowhere"

Mike

Kinda a mixed mess in decisions making with Hue & Sashi..Rams S Rodney Mcleod was a close miss in FA period with Browns. We settled for Rahim Moore. Mcleod a Eagle giving them the leadership Campbell & Kindred could really use.And a chance to play Campbell/Kindred at FS was missed? goes to gm, But Reynolds looks like a good pick-up.. Hue sits with a RG3 decision pending a lightning bolt. Not sure if Hawk's previous time with Hue made Gabe expendable? But we knew they were going to keep there drafted news pups. But all 5 of them at WR? I just see Bill playing this out differently. Happy Birthday!! Canton "Old LegHumpper" Mike!!! :)

Gumby,

Thanks for the Birthday wish. If you get to Canton, we'll take in the Hall of Fame & throw down some Old Leg Humpers!

Mike

"It's never ok to lose a game"

Nick Saban

Lost his last three games as Dolphins coach and promptly quit on them.

Is someone getting the impression that Hue thinks it is OK, to lose? Because I sure as hell am not.

Zombo

I'm not an advocate for firing Hue, or Pettine, or Chud, I feel its counterproductive when you have to start all over again.

The guy that worries me is Haslam, he seems to have a twitchy trigger finger when it comes to firing people.

Instead of setting his sights on the coaching staff, he needs to look at the people bringing in these guys posing as football players.

Lost his last three games as Dolphins coach and promptly quit on them.

Is someone getting the impression that Hue thinks it is OK, to lose? Because I sure as hell am not.

Zombo

No way Hue thinks it's ok to lose......though he is starting to show some cracks in his armor.....ala Chud....

Which was one of my early concerns when folks kept insisting that "losing" was the plan.....and my concern was that losing(over and over and over and over again) really hurts a team and wears it down.....destroys confidence....etc.....

And I see Hue starting to look like Chud....nothing to say....no answers for the problems....and a bit broken.....

No way Hue thinks it's ok to lose......though he is starting to show some cracks in his armor.....ala Chud....

Which was one of my early concerns when folks kept insisting that "losing" was the plan.....and my concern was that losing(over and over and over and over again) really hurts a team and wears it down.....destroys confidence....etc.....

And I see Hue starting to look like Chud....nothing to say....no answers for the problems....and a bit broken.....

He's got answers, "It's on me", I've heard it for 12 straight weeks. But they're trying and I guess that's all that matters.

Archived