THE BROWNS BOARD

Nassib's technique from the DE spot is improving...

Clevfan4life

His pass rush still lacks the power edge, but has anyone taken notice of his run D? He's not overpowering guys necessarily, I still wish he'd generate some of Bosa's extended stiff arm's..that would help him shed better...but his "nose" for the ball is possibly the best on the line. He's able to dip and slide to the ball carrier and while he may not always get the credit for the outright tackle..i've noticed now that he's alot of times the reason why the ballcarrier has to make an adjustment and land's in one of our LB'ers laps. And that's exactly what you want out of your edge.

So at the same time while that encourages me, it brings up a concerning issue. I don't see those same moves out of Og. Which leads me to suspect that perhaps Nassib is just honing what he learned at Penn. I dunno i didn't watch a whole lot of tape of him and what i did see was mainly pass rush stuff. So my concern is that we're still not developing players. I think Og is making some progress in pass rush moves, specifically the power edge rush....but why are we not seeing similiar techniques being tried on the field? It's the cynic in me but it still smells like yet again we're not helping guys develop.

Carl only missed two games... but his hand injury certainly set him back in a few more starts.

Nassib still has a chance to be damn good, but has to get much stronger without losing any speed. Then he can develop the arm work Cleve longs for vs. the run as well as in his pass rush.

I'd draw exactly zero conclusions about anyone from that performance - Giants were missing 2 G and 1 T from their starting lineup.

And they were also missing their backup G -- so they were playing their guards ranked #4 and #5.

And we still lost...

seems his technique for getting into a qb's passing lanes and knocking the ball out of play is pretty good....

or.....he's just really tall.........6'-7" probably has as much to do with it, as finding the passing lanes.....dont ya think?

Yup... more than just arms, too.

Heard an interesting comment by Tom Brady a couple weeks ago on his strength goals/approach vs. that of most players. Something about strengthening muscles while keeping them long vs. shortening them or allowing them to shorten. I've never been able to find what exactly he was talking about.

My best guess is an increased emphasis on stretching mixed in with lifting to keep them long???

Maybe some of the muscle heads here can illuminate me...

If he puts too much muscle in the wrong places it could shorten his throwing motion, I think that's what he was talking about. Like big biceps on a qb would likely be a major hindrance

Right track... but seems to be wrong rationale. Googled again and this interesting read popped up...

Does Tom Brady's Focus on Muscle Pliability Actually Work?

Updated: May 24, 2016

At 37 years old, Tom Brady is arguably the best quarterback in the NFL. Some of you may balk at this statement, but facts are facts—the guy can flat out play.

Much of Brady's success can be attributed to his health. For most of his career, he has stayed relatively injury-free, and he's actually shown improved speed and quickness compared his early years, when he was abysmally slow.

How is this possible? Besides his insanely focused nutrition regimen, Brady credits his work with Alex Guerrero.

Guerrero is not a traditional strength and conditioning coach. According to the Boston Globe, he is a trained masseuse who was schooled in Chinese medicine. Brady considers him his "body coach." When Guerrero was asked by the The New York Times if his methodologies are contrary to traditional strength and conditioning methods, he responded, "most of the time."

Brady and Guerrero co-own TB12 Sports Therapy Center. According to their website and several interviews, the training methodology is centered on improving muscle pliability.

RELATED: Why Tom Brady's Intense Diet Might Not be That Crazy

What is Muscle Pliability?

"Pliable muscles are softer, longer and more resilient: they help insulate the body against injury and accelerate post-injury recovery," explains TB12's website.

Brady told the Times, "If there's so much pressure, just constant tugging on your tendons and ligaments, you're going to get hurt. Like with a kid, when they fall, they don't get hurt. Their muscles are soft. When you get older, you lose that."

As a strength and conditioning coach, I was curious about this terminology. Over the years, I've talked with hundreds of experts, and I'd never heard the phrase "muscle pliability" mentioned by any of them. It's not taught in the textbooks, and an internet search turned up only a few results, most of them related to Brady.

To get to the bottom of this concept, I consulted Dr. John Rusin and Dr. Joel Seedman, two of the best in the business when it comes to strength training and exercise physiology.

Both experts agreed that muscle pliability is an ambiguous term and could mean many different things. They also agreed that it's likely an umbrella term for several qualities, including flexibility, mobility, neural tone and length-tension relationship.

http://www.stack.com/a/does-tom-bradys-focus-on-muscle-pliability-actually-work

There's a lot more to the article at the above link.

Archived