THE BROWNS BOARD

Hafner to the DL

Beanpot

Back to Alabama and Doc Andrews for Pronk:

Cleveland Indians put Travis Hafner on the disabled list; go with 14-man pitching staff

Posted by phoynes April 29, 2009 17:10PM

UPDATED: 6:27 p.m.

CLEVELAND -- Travis Hafner's good start to the season took a turn for the worse today when he was placed on the disabled list with soreness and fatigue in his surgically repaired right shoulder. He's scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews, who performed the Oct. 14 surgery, next week.

The Indians activated left-hander Rich Rundles to temporarily take Hafner's spot on the roster for tonight's game against Boston. The Indians' bullpen pitched seven innings in Tuesday's 9-8 victory over Boston.

The Tribe now has a 14-man pitching staff, including nine relievers.

Manager Eric Wedge indicated that Rundles would only be with the club for tonight's game. Wedge added that they were going to make some moves on Thursday's off day to reshape the roster before starting a seven-game trip to Detroit, Toronto and Boston. David Dellucci, Matt LaPorta, Josh Barfield and Luis Valbuena are candidates to be added to the big-league club from Class AAA Columbus.

Dellucci (left calf) is on a rehab assignment.

"Travis has been having some soreness and fatigue in that shoulder again," said Wedge. "We knew this may have been something coming our way. It's not uncommon when you work from spring training to the regular season after a surgery.

"I don't think it's anything serious. Hopefully, it's just a two-week thing."

Hafner is hitting .270 (17-for-63) with four homers and eight RBI in 17 games.

"I've been noticing something in his swing the last two or three days," said Wedge. "I talked to Derek Shelton (hitting coach) and Lonnie Shelton (head athletic trainer) about it. We just wanted to nip it in the bud and get him back on track.

"It just wasn't the same swing when he's healthy and snapping the bat through the strike zone. We've got to do the best job we can to have the best lineup out there for 162 games. If we have to do this for the next 2 1/2 weeks to have him for the last 4 1/2 months, that's what we'll do."

Last season Hafner was limited to just 57 games because of pain and weakness in the shoulder.

Wedge was vague about the moves that would be made Thursday. "We have multiple options down there," said Wedge. "We know David Dellucci will be back here at some point in time. I have to have a conversation with him.

"We just to make sure the timing is right in regard to who we're playing, where we're playing, what pitching is coming our way. At very latest David will be with us next week. We have to make sure we're covered in the infield and outfield."

Wedge said he'd probably stay with 13 pitchers to open Friday's three-game series against Detroit, but added that didn't mean he was committed to calling up Dellucci to take Rundles' spot.

"I'm considering everybody," said Wedge. "We've got a lot of ability down there. That's why I want to take some time on this. With Hafner out, it changes the dynamic of our lineup and offensive scheme of things."

Shoppach is DH'ing tonight against Boston. Hafner's injury should create more playing time for Ryan Garko.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...t_travis_h.html

Beanpot

:(

Manager Eric Wedge indicated that Rundles would only be with the club for tonight's game. Wedge added that they were going to make some moves on Thursday's off day to reshape the roster before starting a seven-game trip to Detroit, Toronto and Boston. David Dellucci, Matt LaPorta, Josh Barfield and Luis Valbuena are candidates to be added to the big-league club from Class AAA Columbus.

:)

Back to Alabama and Doc Andrews for Pronk:

Cleveland Indians put Travis Hafner on the disabled list; go with 14-man pitching staff

Posted by phoynes April 29, 2009 17:10PM

UPDATED: 6:27 p.m.

CLEVELAND -- Travis Hafner's good start to the season took a turn for the worse today when he was placed on the disabled list with soreness and fatigue in his surgically repaired right shoulder. He's scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews, who performed the Oct. 14 surgery, next week.

The Indians activated left-hander Rich Rundles to temporarily take Hafner's spot on the roster for tonight's game against Boston. The Indians' bullpen pitched seven innings in Tuesday's 9-8 victory over Boston.

The Tribe now has a 14-man pitching staff, including nine relievers.

Dellucci (left calf) is on a rehab assignment.

"Travis has been having some soreness and fatigue in that shoulder again," said Wedge. "We knew this may have been something coming our way. It's not uncommon when you work from spring training to the regular season after a surgery.

"I don't think it's anything serious. Hopefully, it's just a two-week thing."

Hafner is hitting .270 (17-for-63) with four homers and eight RBI in 17 games.

"I've been noticing something in his swing the last two or three days," said Wedge. "I talked to Derek Shelton (hitting coach) and Lonnie Shelton (head athletic trainer) about it. We just wanted to nip it in the bud and get him back on track.

"It just wasn't the same swing when he's healthy and snapping the bat through the strike zone. We've got to do the best job we can to have the best lineup out there for 162 games. If we have to do this for the next 2 1/2 weeks to have him for the last 4 1/2 months, that's what we'll do."

Last season Hafner was limited to just 57 games because of pain and weakness in the shoulder.

Wedge was vague about the moves that would be made Thursday. "We have multiple options down there," said Wedge. "We know David Dellucci will be back here at some point in time. I have to have a conversation with him.

"We just to make sure the timing is right in regard to who we're playing, where we're playing, what pitching is coming our way. At very latest David will be with us next week. We have to make sure we're covered in the infield and outfield."

Wedge said he'd probably stay with 13 pitchers to open Friday's three-game series against Detroit, but added that didn't mean he was committed to calling up Dellucci to take Rundles' spot.

"I'm considering everybody," said Wedge. "We've got a lot of ability down there. That's why I want to take some time on this. With Hafner out, it changes the dynamic of our lineup and offensive scheme of things."

Shoppach is DH'ing tonight against Boston. Hafner's injury should create more playing time for Ryan Garko.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...t_travis_h.html

Beanpot

In related news ... all you guys that were offering trades for Hafner earlier in the fantasy league ... can we still talk? I didn't mean to be so dismissive...

Zombo

Guest Masters

Shipiro during the game last night said he did not expect LaPorta to be called up yet. Also, that Hafner's shoulder problem now following surgury is expected and common. At this point they expect him to be back quickly. We shall see though.

what really sucks is that this opens the door more for delluci to come back than it does for laporta to be called up and as we all know; delluci sucks.

The vortex of suck is back:

DETROIT -- David Dellucci joined the Indians and found himself in the starting lineup for tonight's game against the Tigers. Manager Eric Wedge, meanwhile, said it's likely that another move will be made after the game.

Dellucci was activated this afternoon after rehabbing a strained left calf at Class AAA Columbus. He replaced lefty Rich Rundles, who was optioned to Columbus. Dellucci, who will DH against Detroit, hit .414 (12-for-29) during his rehab at Columbus.

"We have some extra at-bats at DH and that's where the bulk of David's playing time will be," said Wedge.

The Indians have a vacancy at DH because Travis Hafner was placed on the disabled list Wednesday with a sore right shoulder.

It's believed the Indians new addition after tonight's game will be a position player. Infielders Luis Valbuena and Josh Barfield are possibilities. So is outfielder Matt LaPorta.

The Indians are still carrying 13 pitchers, including eight relievers.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...astes_no_t.html

Beanpot

Archived