THE BROWNS BOARD

RG III to start against Bengals

jiggins7919

Pretty sure he injured his left arm, no?

Damn, you! I looked up a photo and the sling was to the right... wait... my right... his...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted it in another thread BB. It's strength of schedule. If we wind up tied with the 49ers- we're screwed. The League figures all things being equal- if you've played teams with fewer wins- you must suck worse. We have several common opponents with them- Cowboys, Patriots, Jets, Bills, Dolphins. So toss those out. They've played a much weaker division schedule- Rams, & the Cardinals and Seahawks losing today didn't do us any favors. (those count X2) Plus they've played the lousy Bears and Panthers. I suppose if SOS turned out identical, it would be head to head. I don't think it goes past that, the next would probably be a coin flip.

OTOH, we have the (better) Ravens and Steelers X2, Redskins, Titans and Giants.

San Fran finishes out with the Falcons & Rams on the road, and home against the Seahawks. The game today with the Jets was their best chance at a win. Their odds of winning any of those are not good. Of course I think our chances of winning any of our remaining three aren't exactly stellar either. :)

The Rams may be worse than the Browns and the 49ers at this point. Really.

I think its pretty obvious at this point that Cody Kessler gives this team the best chance to win a game. If the Browns don't start him by choice, (there is always a possibility they have to because of injury), its pretty clear they are not trying to win a game.

I have no idea what Hue Jackson was thinking. RG III didn't even look like he could complete the easiest of passes for most of the day. There were many awful examples, but the worst for me was the throw to Devalve in the redzone. We desperately needed a first down, and Robert threw the ball 2000 miles per hour about 8 feet over the tight end. Devalve wasn't wide open, but he was OPEN. An accurate throw is a near sure first down, and a decent throw to the athletic Devalve gives us a shot. The announcers were like, "WTF was THAT?" The same reaction we all had.

Yeah, the weather isn't doing him any favors, and I'd give ANYTHING to have a dome game, or a game at San Diego. But no...this is US we're talking about here. Our two remaining road games are against the damn Bills and the Steelers. Let's just say it will be miserable playing conditions...yet again. And of course our home game against the Bolts will be just perfect conditions I'm sure. The weather is no excuse, as Dalton appeared to be doing well enough, but I'm sure it doesn't help a guy who hasn't played hardly at all in three years. What a cluster chicken.

And Hue ALREADY said that RG III is starting against the Bills?! REALLY?! Hue said that, "RG III proved that he belongs out there." REALLY?!!! Maybe Hue is just honing in on that first pick, LOL. The only thing RG III does is present the threat of running, and you could see how that affected the defense. The running game didn't come to life for no reason. But if he can't complete the smallest of passes, what's the point?

Maybe I should get off his back. Maybe I should try to understand that it's been a while for him...but my GOD. A ZERO QB RATING in the first half? If we just got ONE TOUCHDOWN in the first half, we'd have been in that damn game. UGH.

jiggins, MHO here's the possibilities why Hue wants to keep the RG III experiment going.

1) He's blind.

2) Really believes Griffin was just "rusty".

3) Doesn't want to admit signing Robert was a humongous mistake.

4) Loves the fact RG III can throw the ball out of the stadium, (unlike Kessler) but overlooks where it's coming down is a mystery.

5) Secretly is pining for that #1 overall pick, though that's probably unlikely.

If he sticks with Griff- it will be his albatross. Haslam may not interfere, but if our crack analytics guys come to the conclusion RG III is a lost cause, they'll have no hesitation sending him packing after the season.

I see the high ball to Devalve as just another evidence of grip issues which were in ample evidence all game with the exception of the TD drive.

It's occurred to me that grip strength could be just a piece of a more general, literal, arm-strength issue. How many weeks in a sling? How many more of reduced inactivity? When did strengthening rehab begin?

Seemed like when he did cut loose, then he was trying throws his mind remembered his arm being capable of... but the arm (hand) failed.

Then there's the whole other issue of the mind obviously processing about a beat and a half slow...

... except for that one drive.

Yup, throws in the dirt, or 10 feet over the guys head. Or you didn't notice the triple coverage?

Well record wise- we can't catch the Rams, but their Front Office might just have passed the Browns in stupidity. Breaking news. After signing Jeff Fisher to a contract extension- they just fired him. When I saw that on NFL.com, my jaw almost hit the floor.

Well record wise- we can't catch the Rams, but their Front Office might just have passed the Browns in stupidity. Breaking news. After signing Jeff Fisher to a contract extension- they just fired him. When I saw that on NFL.com, my jaw almost hit the floor.

Are you freeking serious?

http://nypost.com/2016/12/12/rams-finally-pull-plug-on-jeff-fisher-at-strange-time/

I guess you could call that extension a Golden Parachute of sorts for a guy they knew they were letting go.

Bottom level end zone tickets are going for $15-20...browns sideline section 135-ish for $50....yea it's going to be pretty desolate there.

They should offer 50 cent beers.

if they had offered 50 cent beers, you would have seen better tackling technique in the stands than on the field in our case. that alone would have offered incredible entertainment..

No... not with that D... not on the field.

But the Rams' locker room was toxic after the game. Gurley was openly talking about going thru the motions... just getting paid. Press took those comments to team-leader Oggletree who basically said he'd kick Todd's ass.

More then likely that sealed Fisher's fate if it needed any sealing.

I suspect some people made money Sunday just betting that Griffin would stay upright in this game.

Nope... I took the 4-game parlay...

Yup, throws in the dirt, or 10 feet over the guys head. Or you didn't notice the triple coverage?

Nope... because there wasn't triple coverage as the all-22, in-game replay clearly showed.

TP was doubled. CC was singled. The other Safety was playing centerfield. The pass lacked so much zip the centerfielder simply had time to join the double.

The bigger question for our staff is wtf tipped the play. No one bit on the flea. Everyone played the flicker. And it wasn't as if that's an everyday play from the 2...

No... not with that D... not on the field.

The team still has to want to play....the Rams don't....or didn't. With the firing of Fisher things may improve.

But the Rams' locker room was toxic after the game. Gurley was openly talking about going thru the motions... just getting paid. Press took those comments to team-leader Oggletree who basically said he'd kick Todd's ass.

More then likely that sealed Fisher's fate if it needed any sealing.

Nope... I took the 4-game parlay...

the easy bet was that he would get hurt.

After watching RGIII when he was with the Redskins, and watching him with the Browns...

I give up. He just doesn't see stuff except one......at......a.........time.

Just doesn't have that ability to see the field quickly.

Didn't cost any draft picks.....just a few dollars.....was worth a shot.

And his contract is not guaranteed for next year so it doesn't cost the team anything to send him packing if it doesn't work out. It was a very low risk/high reward gamble.

Sort of....

RG's 2017 is not fully guaranteed, but he would get $1.75mm in walking money and an added $1.5mm if he is sent away after making the 53-man. Still a very affordable audition considering he made "the earth move."

At least that's the way I read his numbers...

http://overthecap.com/player/robert-griffin-iii/1459/

I really hate how RG III's first game back was in awful weather, and now we're going to freaking Buffalo. Like, one of the three possible WORSE weather options. Yeah, I know he should be able to handle it, and if he's a Cleveland QB he needs to learn how to make it work...but Jesus. God forbid he play in a damn dome game, or AT San Diego. RG III throws the ball so damn hard too. I'm sure the receivers LOVE him, LOL.

My question is just how much of a shot are we going to give him? It's obvious Kessler has way better accuracy and makes better decisions.

Agreed orion. I see no reason to get incensed. TCPO laid out that case when we signed him. He either was awesome and we had our guy, or he wasn't and we took our guy at 1 overall.

The only thing I got incensed about was Griffin's 38 qbr against the Bengals. As above, how many of those will it take to convince Hue to bench him?

The only thing I got incensed about was Griffin's 38 qbr against the Bengals. As above, how many of those will it take to convince Hue to bench him?

Imma go with 3...

If RG III comes out and lays another stinker first half like he did last week, he's as good as gone. It's almost not fair because the weather will be SO BAD (again), but that's life. Some of those rocket passes Robert throws, even on short routes, must be HELL to catch in the freezing weather. Cody seems like he throws a very catchable ball, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back on the field.

It wasn't worth creating a new topic, but wanted to say I read that Terrell Pryor's contract "isn't likely" to get done before the season ends. I think it was a Mary Kay article, but I'm not sure. I can look to find it later. In the article, she said that it would be ok because we could just franchise him, but that's a bigger issue than paying the big money for one season because we have to figure out a way to get Collins signed too. I don't see Collins signing a deal, I really don't. I want to be wrong. I want to wake up one day and read, "Collins signs monster deal to anchor the Browns' defense for years to come." But...I don't see that happening. Why would it? He could play for a team that WINS in MUCH better weather. It's not like he couldn't get a giant deal somewhere else. After watching Collins play against the Bengals, I was extremely sad. Sad that we probably won't get this guy to stay. Maybe I'm wrong...

Back to RG III: Just read that Robert has the two worst starts of ANY Browns QB this year. Lord help us. And to make matters worse, he's playing AGAIN this week, AND the weather will somehow be WORSE. I'm sorry guys, but we might have another poopfest. I officially have zero hope for RG III this game. If we were playing in a dome, or somewhere with decent weather...I'd say we might have a chance to connect on some deep bombs, but you saw him try and throw it deep last week in those conditions. It was awful.

*sigh*

Yup... hearing about lake Effect snow in Western NY on CNBC.

One thing... it will test RG's ability to adjust. His best drive, our only drive, was filled with short to intermediate passes.. many of which were from rolled pockets.

I hope he wears a glove... can't watch more slippery throws after last week.

Including the two so far?

No...

Agreed.....definitely worth the shot.....dude has a high pedigree and youth on his side....so, to me, a smart move aimed at getting better(at a very difficult position to fill)......a rock worth turning, so to speak....

Now.....drafting Kessler in the 3rd????......that was much more annoying to me.....why?.....cause 3rds will bring you good players and I knew they'd burn that 3rd....then.....we'd be talking about burning another high pick this year to fill the same position......and that is exactly whats happening....

Let's hope they dont do the same thing this year.....either grab the best one.....or pick a project late.....but PLEASE dont pick a project early.....(like they just did)

Archived