THE BROWNS BOARD

Some trades I'd make...

Solon16

Shaun Smith to Denver, they need a nose(spoting news mentioned it....now that we got Coleman.

Da to Minnesota or San Fran

BE to Jets , NYG, Oakland or Chicago Bears!!!

Sowells anyone?

Dqwell Jackson To Tampa Bay? Jacksonville? Detroit? Believe he is in wrong system here.....4-3 MLB

Any others you guys come up with?

Frayley??

Lets not make this into yet another DA/BQ debate....just trade thoughts?

Guest Aloysius

Don't think Denver would want Shaun Smith. They signed Ronald Fields (2 years, $5M) to play nose in their hybrid defense. And they brought in a lot of young 3-4 DL talent this weekend: Robert Ayers in the 1st round and Chris Baker, Rulon Davis, Everette Pedescleaux, and Jeff Schweiger as UDFA's.

One can look at the history of the NFL, and trades after a draft are pretty rare.

Baseball and basketball trade players...for some reason, in football, it doesn't happen all that much unless it is associated with a draft deal.......

Plus....who is going to trade for Sowells???

Even if he's in the "wrong" system the guy is a beast on our D.

Tackles

TOT SOLO ASST

2008 154 95 59

Career 348 230 118

Granted, he may be making some of them down field since our front line has been poorly coached since he was drafted. Still the guy makes a big impact on our D.

He works well in our system. He could probably excel in a 4-3 as well. Either way, you don't trade a player because you feel he would be even better in a different system. That makes zero sense. You only trade a player because he is expendable...DQ is NOT haha. If he was an extremely poor fit here this would be a different conversation.

Should we trade S. Rogers too because he actually fits a 4-3 better as well?

As long as they work well in our system...you don't get rid of them. He is here to stay.

Guest Aloysius
One can look at the history of the NFL, and trades after a draft are pretty rare.

I think trades are more likely to happen during camp, once teams get a look at their players and see a gaping hole at a certain position. For instance, Minnesota got scared about their QB depth chart a couple years ago and traded C.J. Mosley to Mangini's Jets in exchange for Brooks Bollinger.

Similarly, you could see a team like Dallas, who signed two guys who didn't play last year (Tim Anderson, Junior Siavii) to back up Jay Ratliff at nose tackle, realize that those two guys can't get it done and start asking about Shaun Smith. Todd Grantham is the Cowboys' DL coach, so there's already some familiarity with the player...though, if I recall correctly, there was some speculation here that Shaun Smith was the anonymous player the OBR got to trash Grantham after he'd been fired.

If that is what you think, then where who and where are they going.

I don't think we will see many trades.

Possibly a QB if some team gets strapped.

Guest Aloysius

I didn't mean that trades are likely...just that if they're going to happen, they'll go down sometime during training camp.

Doubt Denver wants Smith. He's not a starter and they have enough average/below average defensive linemen.

DA won't be going to SF or Minny either.. SF has two first rounders next year and would probably rather have a young guy out of the deep QB draft next year than a guy who appears to have hit his ceiling already. Minnesota needs a game manager. Actually, SF really just needs a game manager too, but they seem to be somewhat happy with Shaun Hill.. I think DA needs to go to a team where he can throw it. I don't see him as a game manager at all. I would say Carolina, but they just signed Delhomme to a big deal for some reason. I don't think the market is good for DA right now. Not as a starter, anyways.

Edwards to the Bears would be a great fit, but they have little to trade. The Giants are done dealing for Braylon. The Jets.. I could see it happening, but considering how much they gave up to get Sanchez I doubt they'll do it. Oakland, can put nothing past Oakland. It wouldn't surprise me.

D'Qwell will look much better with better talent around him and on the defensive line. He's a very good player.

I'm sure someone would give Fraley a look.

Todd Grantham is the Cowboys' DL coach, so there's already some familiarity with the player...though, if I recall correctly, there was some speculation here that Shaun Smith was the anonymous player the OBR got to trash Grantham after he'd been fired.

Pretty sure it was LeShaun who led the charge against Grantham, but he certainly wasn't the only one.

Guys I think could get dealt in camp:

Pool

LeShauna

Braylons

Fraley

Wimpley

Dexter

Hadnot

Leon and Corey Williams

Granted, just throwing names out there but some could be packaged rather than outright released.

Actually, SF really just needs a game manager too, but they seem to be somewhat happy with Shaun Hill.. I think DA needs to go to a team where he can throw it. I don't see him as a game manager at all. I would say Carolina, but they just signed Delhomme to a big deal for some reason. I don't think the market is good for DA right now. Not as a starter, anyways.

It's too bad the Raiders drafted Russell last year. I think Al would really appreciate DA. For the reasons you stated.

I was kind of expecting a deal to the Raiders even with Russell there. In case he continues to struggle. But it never happened. They went after Garcia instead.

solon...I think the bong waters gone to your head on that...no...Id never trade D'Qwell...thats assinine

It's too bad the Raiders drafted Russell last year. I think Al would really appreciate DA. For the reasons you stated.

I was kind of expecting a deal to the Raiders even with Russell there. In case he continues to struggle. But it never happened. They went after Garcia instead.

Yeah. I think DA can actually be a pretty successful QB in the right system. Unfortunately for him, there really aren't too many teams like that at the moment who need a QB. The Raiders are one.. I don't think Garcia is a great fit there, either. I really thought SF or Minnesota would go after him. Or Denver, after the Cutler trade.

Completely off-topic, but while we're on this subject, I think Chicago is a terrible fit for Jay Cutler. I think there is going to be some real disappointment in Chicago next year.

Completely off-topic, but while we're on this subject, I think Chicago is a terrible fit for Jay Cutler. I think there is going to be some real disappointment in Chicago next year.

I'm with you.....And Kyle Orton may end up being a pleasant surprise in Denver.

I agree with you about Orton. Can you believe he's 21-12 as a starter. If you think about it that's all that matters W and L's.

I like Orton. A big guy that just needs to cut down on his INT's to become an elite QB. He finally got his chance to start every week after his rookie season and had a decent year for the Bears.

This trade by the Broncos could end up being the steal of the decade.

I think DA fits SF's offense, but I've never heard a peep that they're interested.

Orton is what he is: A very good backup or a bottom ten starter.

SF is going to use the short to intermediate passing game. They're going to be a run-first team and try to win the turnover battle and beat teams primarily with their defense. Doesn't sound like a DA team to me.

Anyone can be good with Denver's offensive line, Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. The Bears' offense isn't exactly passer-friendly. I don't even think their current offense would be passer-friendly if it had good WRs.

Archived