THE BROWNS BOARD

Found this fact about Centers

Solon16

Only seven centers have been taken in first round.....I know we are a blue collar town but this is funny!!!

Steve Everitt, Cleveland, No. 14, 1994

• Damien Woody, New England, No. 17, 1999

• Jeff Faine, Cleveland, No. 21, 2003

• Alex Mack, Cleveland, No. 21, 2009

• Bern Brostek, L.A. Rams, No. 23, 1990

• Chris Spencer, Seattle, No. 26, 2005

• Nick Mangold, Jets, No. 29, 2006

Guest Aloysius
Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

Yeah, look at how Parcells signed Jake Grove to a 5 year, $29.5M deal and shipped Samson Satele to Oakland because he couldn't handle Vince Wilfork. If your center gets manhandled by 3-4 nose tackles, you're not going to have success against the Steelers, Ravens, or Patriots. And you're going to have to beat at least one of those teams to make it to the Super Bowl.

Drafting Mangold last year turned out very well for Mangini. When Balt AND Pitt is in your division...Center is even more of a need.

Another brilliant post....There has been three draftes since Mangold was drafted.

I don't think you can follow much of anything honestly....You continue to prove it.

Another brilliant post....There has been three draftes since Mangold was drafted.

I don't think you can follow much of anything honestly....You continue to prove it.

My bad. I meant in Mangini's first year (w/ NY)...wow someone is a bit pissy, eh?

Relax bud.

I'm sure that's what you meant. Gotcha.

Gotta love acting rough and tough in a football forum. This banter is just soooo important haha. No sweat.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see next years draft and what centers come out compared to how early. The addition of a few more 3-4 defenses may push a couple centers into the first round next year too. If I was in the NFC north...I'd want to make sure I had a quality center if not already. Going up against B.J. Raji twice a year won't be fun...

Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

Hit the nail on the head!

It is shocking the browns have 3 of 7 1st round center drafts over 20 years but in the afc north it is now essential to have a crazed dawg at center all afc north teams are beefing up the front line due to the 3-4 defense and mack holds the promise of being a longterm piece of the offensive puzzle...mangenius at least on paper has put us in a position with this draft to compete this year....

I was expecting us to go for a fan pleaser like rey rey but was excited when mankok did the right thing and plugged the biggest hole in our offensive line and then brought us a couple of way under rated WR's and a running back with tremendous upside...not even counting veikune and the 2 cbs/safeties elam and coleman..absolutely outstanding draft! ;)

Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

LT, Adrian Petersen and Now chris wells!

UGGG

Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

UGGG

I think more than any other position this one can be groomed. It's been shown to be the case when there are so many good teams with late round and undrafted centers that are good football players.

In this year's pro bowl lineup only one center was a high pick. Gurod. He was a 2nd rounder.

I have to wonder if the general thinking in the NFL FO's are that you don't waste a high pick on a center. Just as they don't waste them on guards.

Mangold is fine center but in the final analysis is he really a difference maker? How many playoff games have the Jets won since his arrival? None?

I think Mangold really helped the running game in NY though. Difference maker, no. I kind of see it as a position you should be able to groom with a less pricey prick if any. But, that should be done while having a good center already in place. Our problem is that we got lucky having Fraley play well and didn't draft (late round) a young guy to groom behind him. Hopefully, Mack has a solid career with us and as he gets older we try to groom someone (or two) to eventually fill that role, on the cheap.

We needed help NOW and paid the price for the quick fix. Could be worse though...

If your center gets manhandled by 3-4 nose tackles, you're not going to have success against the Steelers, Ravens, or Patriots. And you're going to have to beat at least one of those teams to make it to the Super Bowl.

That's what worries me. Despite what many fans are thinking, Mack doesn't have the reputation of being the "mauler with a mean streak" that we all would love to have in our OC. I heard/read too much about Mack "playing too high" and "spending too much time on the ground" (i.e. on his fanny).

Eric Wood is the solid rock of this year's draft.

-Al

UGGG

With regards to Peterson and Wells, you don't pass up a lineman that will fill his spot for 10+ years.

Unless it is just some crazy pick, you will never hear me complain about a first rounder who is a Olineman or a Dlineman.

That is where games are won and lost.

Ever other position on the field depends on those guys winning their match-up

With regards to Peterson and Wells, you don't pass up a lineman that will fill his spot for 10+ years.

NO you don't pass up lineman...I would rather have wells running the ball against pittsburgh,Baltimore in Nov and December...Caldwell from Bama wold have still been a big upgrade from Frayley. Keep drinkin the koolaid....We need a Big stud young runner and we just let him GO for a freakin Center!

I am happy with us taking Mack. However, I was yelling Well's name every time the Brown's were on the clock. I do think he is in the same class as LT and AP - at least talent wise. Whether he produces at the next level is another question. It takes more than just natural talent to make it, but I think he will.

I like the Mac pick.

Hank was getting abused last season, hard.

We needed a force in the middle, and when you see your center getting run over again and again where there's a dt breathing down your qb's throat every play or the rb hasn't had to take the handoff before he's walloped you've GOT to do something there.

If we had drafted a big center to groom, say 2 seasons ago, and had a quality coaching staff to develop our players we could have Wells right now, but I don't give a damn who your back is if your line caves faster than a wet paper bag.

I am happy with us taking Mack. However, I was yelling Well's name every time the Brown's were on the clock. I do think he is in the same class as LT and AP - at least talent wise. Whether he produces at the next level is another question. It takes more than just natural talent to make it, but I think he will.

are you crazy JC? no effing way.....we'd be lucky to see AP's equal this decade.....as smooth and effortless as Peterson runs now, chances are we haven't even seen his best ball. 296 yards in a single game his rookie year, the dude is a total game changer at any time--there's a reason Jamal's record of 295 stood so long. the only reason he's never done it again is because of the attention he garners.....and they still can't stop him. stopping Wells will never be the entire focus of the DC's gameplan, he's just an option.

I agree passing on LT and Peterson are tough to look back at...I'm not quite sure Wells is even in that class/conversation. Guess we'll see next year though.

i'm willing to put money on it. AD is a one of those freaks too dangerous to live, too rare to die.

Yeah, look at how Parcells signed Jake Grove to a 5 year, $29.5M deal and shipped Samson Satele to Oakland because he couldn't handle Vince Wilfork. If your center gets manhandled by 3-4 nose tackles, you're not going to have success against the Steelers, Ravens, or Patriots. And you're going to have to beat at least one of those teams to make it to the Super Bowl.

You hit that one out of the park, Alo.

I'm sure Mangini has watched enough tape of the Ravens and Steelers manhandling us inside to make himself sick.

Center and Wide Receiver were the two biggest needs on this football team and we went after them.

Mack & Thomas working on the same line for the next part of a decade excites me.

Yeah, blocking excites me.

Because we've been pushed around by our bully rivals long enough ... and Mangini is signaling that he's not putting up with it.

Zombo

--Last year we secured the NT, this year the C ... necessities in the AFC North

You hit that one out of the park, Alo.

I'm sure Mangini has watched enough tape of the Ravens and Steelers manhandling us inside to make himself sick.

Center and Wide Receiver were the two biggest needs on this football team and we went after them.

Mack & Thomas working on the same line for the next part of a decade excites me.

Yeah, blocking excites me.

Because we've been pushed around by our bully rivals long enough ... and Mangini is signaling that he's not putting up with it.

Zombo

--Last year we secured the NT, this year the C ... necessities in the AFC North

Not only did mangini see us beaten at the center spot but at our WR spots. Drops aside, we lacked anybody other than BE and K2. You have to have others able to step up there game if one's having an off day or in BE case a off season.

Savage did leave us a few good core players to work with. I wasn't upset when we picked Faine and Mack will fit in fine.

NO you don't pass up lineman...I would rather have wells running the ball against pittsburgh,Baltimore in Nov and December...Caldwell from Bama wold have still been a big upgrade from Frayley. Keep drinkin the koolaid....We need a Big stud young runner and we just let him GO for a freakin Center!

You can say I'm drinking Mack's koolaid all you want. If he turns out to be crap, I'll eat crow. But from watching vids of Mack I feel that he's going to be a big part of our O-line for a long time.

My point is that you can pick up a "talented" RB in almost every single draft. I don't know how much Jamal has left in the tank but what if the guy was hampered last year because of our O-Line play instead of declining skills? I also think Harrison is a very talented back who wasn't used as much as he should have in the old regime.

I just don't think you pass on surefire starter at a position that makes or breaks a game. It all starts in the trenches and I'm happy with our first round pick.

Archived