THE BROWNS BOARD

McShay's 2010 Mock Draft

Fooleeze

Eh, it's all for fun. Here's Todd McShay's 2010 Mock Draft. I'm pretty offended about the Brown's placement, (Really? You expect the Raiders, Lions AND Bengals all to be better than the Browns?) And he also has the contradiction of having his #2 pick referred to as an 'underrated talent.'

The dust has barely settled following the 2009 draft, but that doesn't mean it's too early to look ahead to 2010, and below is Scouts Inc.'s very early look at how things could unfold in the first round in 2010.

The biggest story at this point is Oklahoma's domination of the draft board. The Sooners have the No. 1 overall pick in QB Sam Bradford but also have four of the top six selections and five projected first-rounders overall. Five offensive or defensive linemen land in the top 10 along with two quarterbacks, a tight end, a safety and a linebacker.

Only players who are entering their fourth year on campus are a part of this projection, including Bradford and Penn State OLB Navorro Bowman. The order of our first round reflects Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson's revamped power rankings -- which take into account the playoffs, free agency and the 2009 draft -- in reverse.

So, with the first pick in the 2010 NFL mock draft, the St. Louis Rams select …

1. St. Louis Rams -- Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

College football's most accurate passer could emerge as the top overall pick in 2010. The Rams should be in position to draft their future franchise quarterback after passing on Mark Sanchez in this year's draft.

2. Cleveland Browns -- Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

Suh is an underrated talent with quickness, power and versatility.

3. Detroit Lions -- Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

The Lions should be in the market for a starting left tackle to protect the blind side of 2009 No. 1 overall pick Matthew Stafford.

4. Oakland Raiders -- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

Oakland drafted a wide receiver (Darrius Heyward-Bey) at No. 7 overall this year rather than solidifying its offensive line with OT Eugene Monroe. The Raiders shouldn't make the same mistake in 2010.

5. Kansas City Chiefs -- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

The Chiefs will have some bigger needs along the offensive and defensive lines, but Gresham projects as the premier tight end in the 2010 class. He could become the replacement for future Hall of Fame TE Tony Gonzalez, who was traded to the Falcons, providing QB Matt Cassell a legitimate pass-catching threat over the middle.

6. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver) -- Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

A year from now the Seahawks could be in the market for Matt Hasselbeck's future replacement and don't be surprised if McCoy emerges as a top-10 pick by then.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

The Jaguars need to replenish their interior defensive line and McCoy is college football's most disruptive tackle when he's healthy.

8. San Francisco 49ers -- Taylor Mays, S, USC

Offensive tackle is a big need area but Mays possesses freakish physical tools and could anchor the 49ers' secondary for many years. It should also be pointed out that Mays will have competition for the honor of being first safety off the 2010 draft board if Tennessee's Eric Berry leaves school early.

9. Green Bay Packers -- Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas

Ulatoski has good feet for his size and could develop into a top offensive tackle prospect as a senior with improved technique and consistency.

10. San Francisco 49ers (from CAR) -- Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas

With the second of their two first-round selections, the 49ers could look to upgrade their offensive line or pass rush. Kindle is a great fit in this scenario as an undersized end with excellent speed off the edge and fluid hips that allow him to occasionally drop into coverage.

11. Washington Redskins -- Ciron Black, OT, LSU

Black is a bit overrated at this point, but he has the physical tools to emerge as a high first-round pick a year from now.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia

New defensive coordinator Jim Bates is looking to get bigger and stronger up front. Atkins fits the mold as a squatty, quick and strong defender. However, he needs to rebound from a somewhat disappointing 2008 season in order to emerge as a premier defensive tackle prospect in next year's class.

13. Denver Broncos (from CHI) -- Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU

Hughes is flying under the radar, but his initial burst and pass-rushing ability -- 15 sacks in 2008 -- could land him a spot in the middle of next year's first round.

14. Buffalo Bills -- Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame

Offensive tackle is the only need area the Bills failed to address in the most recent draft. As a result, expect the team to be in the market for a future starter such as Young a year from now.

15. Cincinnati Bengals -- C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Spiller's speed and versatility could land him a spot in the mid-to-late portion of Round 1.

16. Miami Dolphins -- George Selvie, DE, South Florida

Selvie is a notch below elite in terms of physical tools, but his toughness and nonstop motor will be enticing to a team like the Dolphins.

17. Tennessee Titans -- Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida

Spikes lacks elite speed and needs to play with more consistent leverage. On the flip side, he's a hard-hitting emotional leader with very good instincts.

18. Seattle Seahawks -- Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU

LaFell is arguably the only 2010 senior wide receiver prospect worthy of first-round consideration at this point. LaFell has room to improve as a route runner but very few college receivers possess his combination of size, speed, athleticism and proven playmaking skills.

19. Houston Texans -- Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky

The Texans could be in the market for a playmaking defensive back early in next year's draft. Lindley is not overly physical and was knocked out of Kentucky's bowl game with a hyperextended elbow, but he is a fluid cover corner with outstanding speed and good overall ball skills.

20. New Orleans Saints -- Navorro Bowman, OLB, Penn State

Upgrading the speed and athleticism of their defense should continue to be a focal point for the Saints during next year's draft. Bowman has some off-the-field issues that must be investigated, but he's a fast-rising prospect with outstanding range for the position.

21. New York Jets -- DeMarcus Granger, DT, Oklahoma

Granger is arguably the most talented defensive lineman in the country, but durability and character issues have prevented him from reaching his full potential to this point. A healthy and productive 2009 campaign could land him a spot in Round 1.

22. Baltimore Ravens -- Marshwan Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati

Gilyard is an emerging talent with outstanding speed to stretch the field vertically, and he is also one of college football's premier return men.

23. Dallas Cowboys -- Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama

Arenas' recognition skills and technique in coverage still have room to improve, but he's a fast and fluid athlete with game-breaking ability in the return game.

24. New York Giants -- Brandon Lang, DE, Troy

Lang is still developing physically, but he has good size potential and great initial burst. He caught the attention of NFL scouts with 17.5 tackles for loss, including 10.5 sacks, in 2008.

25. Minnesota Vikings -- Nate Allen, S, South Florida

Allen is a bit of an unknown prospect at this point, but he possesses the size, athleticism and ball skills to emerge as a Day 1 prospect a year from now.

26. Indianapolis Colts -- Eric Norwood, DE, South Carolina

Norwood lacks ideal size (6-foot, 265 pounds) but he's a quick and instinctive pass-rusher who finished second in the SEC with nine sacks last year.

27. Arizona Cardinals -- Sergio Render, G, Virginia Tech

Render is the premier interior offensive lineman in the 2010 senior class. He needs to recover fully from offseason shoulder surgery in order to nail down a spot in Round 1.

28. San Diego Chargers -- LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

The Chargers could look to find LaDainian Tomlinson's long-term replacement early in next year's draft. Blount is a bit of a long shot to be drafted this early once underclassmen are thrown into the mix, but don't be surprised if Blount lands a spot in Day 1 by putting up big numbers as the Ducks' top back this fall.

29. Atlanta Falcons -- Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College

What Herzlich lacks in athleticism he more than makes up for with hustle, instincts and toughness. His versatility will be highly regarded by teams that use hybrid defensive fronts.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama

Cody is a mountain of a man, and he's an ideal fit as a nose tackle in the middle of a "30" front. However, he doesn't play with enough consistent leverage and needs to show a better motor in order to avoid a free fall in next year's draft

31. Philadelphia Eagles -- Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi

Hardy possesses the size, speed and pass-rushing skills of a high first-rounder. But his inconsistent effort is well-documented, and it could cost him a year from now.

32. New England Patriots -- Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky

Johnson had a breakout junior season with 93 tackles in 11 games. If the 250-pound inside linebacker builds on that performance, he could land a spot late in next year's first round.

Guest Aloysius

Suh's that good.

But if we're picking that high (which I don't see happening), it probably means all of our QB's suck. That means Bradford or Snead could be possibilities.

And I don't get McShay's reason for including rJuniors but not rSophomores. That cuts out Eric Berry, who'd be crazy to stay at Tennessee for another year (sorry, Dennis).

McShay did take a lot of flack from PSU fans for projecting Maybin as a top five pick, perhaps influencing his decision to turn pro - that could be why.

Berry will leave if he isn't hurt, and he will be a top 5 pick.

I want the Browns to get him if we draft #2 and he is available.

Hard to say as a Gator.....make my wife happy since she is a Vol....but Berry is as good as it gets.

This is completely bogus and will not have 1 pick right.... i dont get why he would even do this. Even the mock's leading up to the draft were bad, it's all speculation im not a fan of doing them, im upset for reading this.

Then you take things way to seriously if you are getting upset.

It sucks we wont be drafting in the top 5 this year, so we wont be getting Mays or Berry. maybe the top 10 though. Our team is not that bad, we are not great but not that bad. The lions and Rams are going to stink. We have a schedule where we can at least win 7 games.

im upset for reading this.

Yup, you said "Upset"

Instead of being upset, just enjoy it and have fun with it. Take the time to explore what the Browns may do next year.

Sure it's unlikely any of them will be correct, but it gives fans an opportunity to explore and have some fun thinking about it.

*Sigh* Every year there are guys who are going to go top five this time of year who don't even go first round.

There were guys upset at drafting Quinn cuz Booty and Brohm would be there in the top five the next year LOL.

Hell, just look at a couple Buckeyes like Jenkins and Laurinaitis. Or how about Rey Rey?

This stuff is nothing more than good fun and gives a preview for us non draftniks of who to look out for next season.

Upset? More like annoyed.

You said upset the first time around....fine....I understand annoyed...I am like that about 75% of the time. ;)

It sucks we wont be drafting in the top 5 this year, so we wont be getting Mays or Berry. maybe the top 10 though. Our team is not that bad, we are not great but not that bad. The lions and Rams are going to stink. We have a schedule where we can at least win 7 games.

I agree completely. I think 7-9 is very likely with this schedule.

But even if we are not in the running for Mays, don't get too down because Mangini is a wheeler dealer and if he finds a guy he absolutely loves he'll trade up if he has to. He did this In NY a couple time in his short stay there.

McShay didn't include everyone either. Guys like Carlos Dunlap could declare and push Mays down another notch or two where he'd get to the Browns.

There's a big Safety from Virginia tech I like coming out next year too. He's a big kid like Mays and could be a round 2 or 3 pick.

Kams Chancellor. VT has done the kid no favors by moving him to a different position each year he's been there.

I'm a huge Mays fan but at the same time I really like Herzlich as well. Same with Dunlap. Any of those guys would make me very happy.

Guest Aloysius

Not sure about Chancellor. Need to see more of him next year, but I suspect he may need to move to linebacker in the pro's. His size/speed combination is impressive, though.

I believe the Browns will not draft in the top fifteen.

I'm like this every year.

Maybe, even the playoffs.

See?

Why no love for Colt McCoy? There's something about him that screams to me he's going to be good - he LOOKS like a QB and has presence like a QB. I've been impressed since I saw him play Ohio State his Freshman year.

I'd like to see him in a Brown's uni in the worst way. Hopefully we don't because Quinn turns out to be crazy good.

Guest AdaM
Why no love for Colt McCoy? There's something about him that screams to me he's going to be good - he LOOKS like a QB and has presence like a QB. I've been impressed since I saw him play Ohio State his Freshman year.

I'd like to see him in a Brown's uni in the worst way. Hopefully we don't because Quinn turns out to be crazy good.

If by looks like a QB you mean, looks like a 9-year-old, then yes.

He kinda looks like Cutler's little brother

colts-mccoy.jpg

Personally think he's the best QB to come out in a decade!

I've been impressed since I saw him play Ohio State his Freshman year.

Wow....You were impressed after that game? I thought he looked completely lost in that game.

But he was a R-Freshman and playing one of the best teams in the country too.

Not sure about Chancellor. Need to see more of him next year, but I suspect he may need to move to linebacker in the pro's. His size/speed combination is impressive, though.

He's pretty much a straight line guy as his hips are not real loose. A bit stiff.

The impressive thing about him is he came into college as a corner. He does have very good speed for a guy that size.

He also packs a wallop when hitting.

Could very easily be converted to LB as a Pro. It will depend on his ability to cover.

Wow....You were impressed after that game? I thought he looked completely lost in that game.

But he was a R-Freshman and playing one of the best teams in the country too.

That's the thing - he didn't look as lost as I thought a true Freshman playing OSU would/should. He handled himself well, and seemed to be in control. Really, I didn't think he looked like a guy who was in high school just a few months earlier.

It's those intangibles (well, and the tangibles).

That's the thing - he didn't look as lost as I thought a true Freshman playing OSU would/should. He handled himself well, and seemed to be in control. Really, I didn't think he looked like a guy who was in high school just a few months earlier.

It's those intangibles (well, and the tangibles).

He was a redshirt Freshman but even at that, playing the Bucks in his second college game was a tall order for him.

The Buckeyes blitzed him relentlessly.

If by looks like a QB you mean, looks like a 9-year-old, then yes.

He kinda looks like Cutler's little brother

colts-mccoy.jpg

Hellish unibrow! Seen that somewhere around here before??

DWJ

Archived