THE BROWNS BOARD

Bo Ruud a Brown

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Browns Claim LB

by Adam Caplan

The Cleveland Browns were awarded LB Bo Ruud off waivers from the New England Patriots, the Browns announced Thursday. In addition, the Browns announced that they released RB Allen Patrick.

Ruud was a sixth-round draft choice of New England last year and spent his entire rookie season on the Patriots’ injured reserve list. The 6-3, 235-pounder played in 46 games with 33 starts in his career at Nebraska and totaled 216 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 25 stops for loss. He also intercepted five passes, three of which he returned for touchdowns, tying a school record.

Ruud's experience practicing in a 3-4 defensive scheme should help him win a roster spot with the Browns this season.

Guest mz.

Beat me to it, Alo. :)

I liked how Rotoworld described him as Barrett's "significantly less-talented brother" the other day....

Patriots waived LB Bo Ruud.

Barrett's far less talented little brother would've competed for a job on the inside, but the Pats have numbers there after drafting Tyrone McKenzie in the third round. McKenzie could take Tedy Bruschi's starting job.

Guest Aloysius

Here's a scouting report on Ruud:

Positives: Has a solid build and lean and defined upper- and lower-body muscles, broad chest and room to carry at least another 10 pounds of bulk to help his body mature at strong-side linebacker...Quick to key and diagnose the play and is active vs. the run, showing the functional strength to take on blockers and the hand usage to shed blocks...Uses his hands effectively to control and reroute tight ends and short-area receivers...Instinctive player with good vision and shows good tackling form, using his hands effectively to take on, shed blocks and make the play...Has a decent change of direction, showing a nice spring in his step and while not quick-twitched, he does have enough of a lateral flow to the ball...Opens his hips properly and is fluid in his pass drops, staying low in his turn-and-go action...Doesn't always play with leverage to contain vs. plays directed at him, but has enough chase speed to pursue plays away from his territory, as he can sift through trash quickly...Shows the initial first step as a blitzer to generate decent backside pursuit, but needs to improve his strength to be more effective with his inside gap responsibilities...Stays close to the tight end and runs with acceleration in man coverage...Not a natural mover in pass coverage with sudden change-of-direction agility, but can plant and drive cleanly in transition and close on plays in front of him...His vision and awareness let him get a good jump on the ball and he does a decent job breaking down in space...Takes good angles shortening his path to the ballcarrier and while he might bite the runner's ankles at times, he has the hand strength to hold on until help arrives...Has good hip snap and arm extension, timing his leaps well to compete for jump balls... Catches the ball cleanly and runs with a good stride on interception returns...More of a blitzer than a pass rusher, but does have a nice spin move to slip off blocks.

Negatives: Has good straight-line quickness, but struggles to redirect, showing some hip stiffness when attempting to change direction...Will lose leverage on inside run plays when he leads with the wrong shoulder...His lack of bulk causes him to get engulfed by the larger blockers and while he needs to add more weight, it could impact his timed speed...Needs to use his hands better when attempting to chase and drag down the ballcarriers (can grab, but lacks the strength to jerk to the ground, needing help to complete the play)...Good wrap-up tackler, but needs to play under control more, as he tends to over pursue...Gets a little out of control in his backside pursuit, causing him to miss some tackles behind the line of scrimmage...Moves well when covering, but needs to show better sideline range, as he has a tough time weeding through traffic...Can control the tight end and mirror his moves in the short area, but was rarely asked to drop back in zone coverage until shifting to the strong-side as a senior...Flashes a good spin move, but his swim moves are negated by his short-arm approach (needs to extend his arms better to stave off blockers trying to latch on to his jersey)...Has good speed to mirror short-area receivers, but is sluggish redirecting and lacks the second gear to trail on deep routes.. Might still be nursing a knee injury he suffered late in the year.

Compares To: MATT STEWART-Arizona...Ruud has potential to contribute to a roster, due to his ability to play both outside linebacker positions, but like Stewart, he is best served in a reserve role. He is not explosive enough to be a pass rusher from the weak side and lacks the bulk and brute strength to generate punishing tackles on the strong side. He comes from a family deep in football tradition, but based on not being invited to any bowl games or the NFL Combine, scouts clearly view him as the "runt of the litter" who needs to bulk up and have a great training camp in order to secure a roster spot. If he does that, Ruud is capable of contributing.

Guest Aloysius
Weird. I saw New England released him and figured we'd jump on it since our defensive scheme is about the same. Let him compete.

And yeah, he really should add at least 5 or 7 pounds.

Look at it this way: Ruud was a 6th round pick who broke his ankle and spent all of last year on IR. He's like another 6th round pick to go with the two corners and James Davis.

On the other hand, we only got Ruud because Scott Pioli didn't put in a waiver claim on him. That could say something about what the folks at Foxboro thought about him.

Happy up, Alo. Drink the Kool Aid already!

Haha, last year was the worst. We were all sporting wood over Kevvy Kasp and the Stallworth signing. Oh, and the best nickel man of the year in Cousin.

I still say Kevvy could have played if healthy, but he never was before Phillip signed him.

"Ruud's experience practicing in a 3-4 defensive scheme should help him win a roster spot with the Browns this season."

Damn. Are things that bad there when a 2008 6th round pick who hasn't played a day in the NFL and was just cut is credited with having the experience that should help him win a roster spot?

Can I try out for the team too?

Guest mz.

Hey frontrunning Pats fan...there will be a time in the pretty near future when the tide turns and the Pats fall back to the garbage franchise they were up until this last decade. I hope at that point fans of other, more successful teams come to your board and e-piss in your face. Nice karma you've earned, loser.

Hey frontrunning Pats fan...there will be a time in the pretty near future when the tide turns and the Pats fall back to the garbage franchise they were up until this last decade. I hope at that point fans of other, more successful teams come to your board and e-piss in your face. Nice karma you've earned, loser.

Word

Its gonna be a helluva long time...if Pats keep getting (two extra) second rounders every year!

I like Mankok's approach. No one on this roster is safe from getting cut. This guy is 6 3' and close to 240. Let's bring in him. If he works hard, and shows promise/potential let him stay. If he does not show any promise, cut him from the roster. Not exactly rocket science.

OUCH! You REALLY hurt my feelings!

But I'm sure you didn't mean it.... Anyway, are all Cleveland fans as superstitious as you? Seeing as you know so much about Karma, perhaps you can explain to all of us what exactly did the town of Cleveland do to deserve such a dearth of football luck? ;)

Guest mz.
OUCH! You REALLY hurt my feelings!

But I'm sure you didn't mean it.... Anyway, are all Cleveland fans as superstitious as you? Seeing as you know so much about Karma, perhaps you can explain to all of us what exactly did the town of Cleveland do to deserve such a dearth of football luck? ;)

Not superstitious at all, just remember things are cyclical, especially in sports. You'll be back to the Steve Grogan Salad days soon enough, and I hope you're man enough to stick it out...

And as for Cleveland's bad football luck, I blame it on rich4eagle.

Not superstitious at all, just remember things are cyclical, especially in sports. You'll be back to the Steve Grogan Salad days soon enough, and I hope you're man enough to stick it out...

And as for Cleveland's bad football luck, I blame it on rich4eagle.

dis is too funny.......you be dummer den a brick or sumtin......often and regular......doze guys still tink winslow be better den average and bush be smart......i wanted Big Gay Ben cuz rich gets it.......offense wins and oline dime a dozen.......luv ya bro keep twisting da knife in my back......stabbing da messenger be cool.........browns fans get stupider by da day........whatever

dis is too funny.......you be dummer den a brick or sumtin......often and regular......doze guys still tink winslow be better den average and bush be smart......i wanted Big Gay Ben cuz rich gets it.......offense wins and oline dime a dozen.......luv ya bro keep twisting da knife in my back......stabbing da messenger be cool.........browns fans get stupider by da day........whatever

Ha ha LMAO, Stan must have rigged it to say Big Gay Ben whenever you type a variation of Big Gay Ben in here.

That's effing hysterical. Nice work Satn.

Good point. The 1985/86 Super Bowl season was pretty tough to take. Much better to be like the Browns and never tease by making it to the Super Bowl and losing.

Trust me - I don't "know it all" - I've learned a lot from this board:

1. Browns fans who believe Karma cares about the game of Football are NOT superstitious and

2. Browns fans are VERY sensitive

I'm sure there are other things to learn but those seem to be the recurring themes

I'm still wondering what Cleveland fans did that's so bad that has Karma hating on them so much.

• 1 month later...

Was suprised to see someone actually picked up Ruud. I predicted when Pats drafted Ruud he would not be there a year and guess what!! They were all flipping me crap that I did not know anything. Sorry Browns, I know I have not been on board long but thought I better suggest you not get your hopes up either. The guy is in the league on name alone and nothing else. Never even close to his brother's talent. Won't be there a year!!!

Was suprised to see someone actually picked up Ruud. I predicted when Pats drafted Ruud he would not be there a year and guess what!! They were all flipping me crap that I did not know anything. Sorry Browns, I know I have not been on board long but thought I better suggest you not get your hopes up either. The guy is in the league on name alone and nothing else. Never even close to his brother's talent. Won't be there a year!!!

He's just a camp body anyway, no one is expecting him to make the roster.

Archived