THE BROWNS BOARD

Berlin Christmas Market Terror Attack

bbedward

OK that sounds ridiculous. For us we have obviously the written test, and then the 'hazard perception' test - you sit in front of a touch screen by yourself, and maybe 15 video clips are played, 30 seconds to a minute, something like that. In each clip, there is a hazard - someone has just stepped between two cars, you saw them now they've disappeared, maybe they're going into the trunk of their car, maybe they're trying to cross the road. You have to press the screen when you think there's a hazard. In one clip there are two, so you have to pay attention to the whole thing. The earlier you press the more points you get, out of five.

For the actual driving test they ask you two questions along the lines of 'how would you check if your brake lights are working' or 'how do you check the oil levels in the car'. Legitimately, the one I got was 'how can you test the horn is working'. Less hard.

Then on to the actual driving, driving around town and country for about 40 minutes, including some maneuvers like bay park, parallel park, turn in the road, (hit the kerb on any and you fail instantly), stuff like that. You're allowed up to 15 'minors' - indicating too late for example is a minor, or not checking the mirror before turning. Not indicating at all is a fail.

Most people pass second time, some first, one guy I know took about 12 attempts. But generally you need to have 40-50 hours of lessons, then you also can go out driving with anyone who's already got a license, to get experience.

I took my cdl test for a class a cdl in Springfield, Oh. It was pretty hard for some people which didn't pass. There were rumors that Ohio was tight on truck drivers passing their tests because the Governers daughter got killed in an accident involving a semi.

No it was the way woody worded his comment. Tacking on an obligitory afterthought for the actual victims

That's not at all how it was worded.

If you take any more refined of a stance on these type of threads than "Muslims bad! Refugees bad!", You get called out for not caring about the victims. The immediate response is "oh, so you don't think it's worse for the victims?" No fuck it is. So I added that into avoid that response. Because we've gone down that path before...

ftfy.

Holy shit are they crazy, at least the ones that come over from abroad. Maybe partly because in their countries driving insane is expected and the horn is the most important accessory on the vehicle.

Maybe not just muslims though, just arab drivers in general.

My lebanese godfather is a good example...and I rode in a car with some saudi friends before, last time I ever did that.

My roommate in school was from Ethiopia. Driving there was basically go for it if you can reach the pedals, and try not to hit anything..

That's not at all how it was worded.

If you take any more refined of a stance on these type of threads than "Muslims bad! Refugees bad!", You get called out for not caring about the victims. The immediate response is "oh, so you don't think it's worse for the victims?" No fuck it is. So I added that into avoid that response. Because we've gone down that path before...

If the order in which you expressed those things were reversed it wouldn't sound tacked on. It's a nuance of the English language.

In Ohio I don't think driver's education is required unless you're under 18 or maybe 21 (you can get licensed at 16, and drive with a parent in the car at 15 1/2). Driver's ed carries a benefit of lower insurance rates.

Driver's ed courses is basically some old fuck rambling about boring shit like traffic laws and playing videos about people dying in fatal car crashes, then you go out driving a few times with an instructor - the whole purpose of the instructor is to prepare you to pass the actual driving test.

Then you do a vision, written (computer nowadays) test, and a driving test with some BMV dude.

It's all stupidly easy. You drive around the block with the BMV dude. Then you do a parallel parking test with like 5 traffic cones - except if you go to driver's ed they don't teach you how to actually maneuver the car - they literally teach you like - turn wheel half turn until you see this by the back pillar and then turn other way for X seconds.

Plus you know barely anybody anymore knows how to drive a manual transmission - they just coast along paying no attention to anything. Really a good amount of people here probably don't even know how to open their bonnet.

Yep. You only need drivers Ed if you want a license before 18 (after 16).And there's not much to it. The test is basically four right turns and maneuverability (no parallel parking for me).

In Michigan it's a 45 minute test, they go on the highway, maneuverability, parallel parking, etc.

You're supposed to have a notarized form that you've had 40 hours behind the wheel with an adult, but everyone takes that. I had my 8hours in drivers Ed, and like 2 with my parents.

If the order in which you expressed those things were reversed it wouldn't sound tacked on. It's a nuance of the English language.

It was a tacked on statement of me stating the obvious. Not to belittle the victims, but the other posters on here.

Which, btw, I don't think anyone else has shown any concern or sadness towards the victims. No one here seems to care about them..

See I find that strange, Japan seems like the one place in Asia that would be decent to drive. Not sure why, they just seem to have more in common with western values, honour, respect etc for fellow citizens. Compared to china, for example...

Believe me, it's true. They are better then say South Korea, PI, or Thailand. But seem as though manners are gone once behind the wheel for many. I still drive like I'm in Japan. I'm an offensive vice defensive driver.

Believe me, it's true. They are better then say South Korea, PI, or Thailand. But seem as though manners are gone once behind the wheel for many. I still drive like I'm in Japan. I'm an offensive vice defensive driver.

When DieHard puts on a turn signal he's not asking to turn he's telling you he's turning.

No, you said we should hug them and ignore sexual assaults.

If you can live outside of reality and in hyperbole, why can't I?

Well, Euro government policies have been to try to hug them and ignore sexual assaults (ex: Cologne when the local gov attempted to hide it then later tried to keep the descriptions of the perps a secret). I don't make this shit up. So it is based in reality. A very shitty reality for women having to live near immigrants who don't understand that raping people is a no no.

It was a tacked on statement of me stating the obvious. Not to belittle the victims, but the other posters on here.

Which, btw, I don't think anyone else has shown any concern or sadness towards the victims. No one here seems to care about them..

Well you've got a point there. I haven't expressed any remorse over the victims. I suppose it's just because I'm numb to it now. When you've seen the kind of shit that's out there I guess nothing's shocking anymore. But at least I don't fake it.

Only Newtown has ever rattled me.That's easily the worst thing that's happened in my lifetime. Yes, worse, in my opinion, than 9/11. Nothing else really has any power to faze me.

I was never into conspiracy theories but there's so many things about Sandy Hook that still bother the living shit out of me.

Only Newtown has ever rattled me.That's easily the worst thing that's happened in my lifetime. Yes, worse, in my opinion, than 9/11. Nothing else really has any power to faze me.

This stuff fazes me every time it's in Europe, because it could, and does, happen in London as well. We're as big of a target as is likely to exist in Europe (obviously USA is number one, so there's something you win at), and I live and work in central London. I have friends who live across Europe and every time something like this happens, in Berlin, Paris, Nice, or wherever, the first thing I'm doing is usually checking to see that they're alright. Same as in 2005 in London the first thing I did was check my brother was ok.

So yeah, it still fazes me somewhat. On the flip side, another mass shooting in the US doesn't faze me any more, so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

Angela Merkel is probably the worst leader of any western nation. I get that she wanted to do good by 1 - addressing the skills shortage by 2 - bringing in refugees from war torn Syria, many of whom would likely be dead or a slave if they had not come. However, she's a fucking moron for turning a blind eye to the culture of that region. She tried to get rid of the bad taste that Hitler left in everyone's mouth by showing how caring and multicultural Germany can be. Unfortunately, it was at the expense of the safety of her own citizens and she's taking the rest of the EU with her. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Angela Merkel is probably the worst leader of any western nation. I get that she wanted to do good by 1 - addressing the skills shortage by 2 - bringing in refugees from war torn Syria, many of whom would likely be dead or a slave if they had not come. However, she's a fucking moron for turning a blind eye to the culture of that region. She tried to get rid of the bad taste that Hitler left in everyone's mouth by showing how caring and multicultural Germany can be. Unfortunately, it was at the expense of the safety of her own citizens and she's taking the rest of the EU with her. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Well put.

I think she's mentally not all there...like obamao. why in the hell invite all those

refugees/immigrants in large numbers? and refuse to believe that it will cause serious

problems? injuries/deaths of innocents? wtf?

Archived