THE BROWNS BOARD

Chris fixes the Browns

gftChris

Everyone thinks they know what needs to be done and I'm no different. It's blindingly obvious to me, just as it's blindingly obvious to you, but those two things are probably quite different. So here goes, a one stop shop to fix all of our problems.

Step 1: Switch to a 4-3 I know I'm going to cause a Cleve-gasm here but honestly, the players we have, especially Ogbah and Nassib, strongly suit a 4-3. Danny Shelton will cause problems inside whatever happens, and Desmond Bryant, if retained, will as well. Otherwise, Meder is a solid enough role player, as is Cooper, and a 4-3 DT isn't the hardest position to find, especially the run stopping variety. That leaves us with Kirksey and Davis as linebackers, and assumes we...

Step 2: Resign Jamie Collins Probably involves a franchise tag for a year. Maybe two. It's probably over market value, but to be honest, salary cap is not an issue and won't be for a few years at least by which time this move is irrelevant.

Step 3: Draft Myles Garrett If we're sticking with a 3-4 then it's a toss up between Allen and moving Garrett to OLB. But in the 4-3 it's not even close. Ogbah is coming along nicely but needs someone to generate pressure on the other side, while Nassib and Nate Orchard provide quality depth.

Front seven sorted, and kinda nasty.

Step 4: Get a CB This probably ends up being Marlon Humphry or Teez Tabor with the eagles pick, but I could certainly live with Adoree Jackson at 33. The secondary has been unable to cover, and having someone come in and be a legitimate #1 corner would be a huge boost to the secondary. Haden is good, but even at his best it was questionable whether he was 'elite'. Getting a 1a to his 1b corner would almost fix the secondary. Jamar Taylor plays the slot well and can cover outside to disguise coverages.

The only position we're still lacking is free safety (assuming a combination of Kindred and Campbell continue to progress at strong safety). I'll get to that later.

Step 5: Fix the OL As it stands, we have players on the OL we're pretty confident going in to 2017 with as sure starters. Thomas, obviously, and Bitonio. Good, left side sorted. At right guard, Greco is solid enough but his injury might cause him to miss a lot of time between now and Septemer, and if we continue to see the same level of performances from Jonathan Cooper we're happy to have him starting there. Greco provides excellent depth across the three interior positions. Right tackle is something of a question mark and *could* be upgraded, but Pasztor and Coleman should be enough to make a serviceable starter between them. Besides, the money shot on the OL has to go to center, where Cam Erving has been as useful as a chocolate teapot. I'd like to see Pocic from LSU but I think he's gone by our pick 33 (and there are other better options than taking him at 10, and I'm not trading down from there). So I take tOSU's own, Pat Elflein. With Austin Reiter showing he belongs in this league in one game, we get basically all of training camp to see if he can beat out Erving for the 8th OL spot.

Things are looking good now. We can run the ball well and pass protect for our QB. Which leads me to...

Step 6: The QB position We could well take a QB at 10, and I would be fine with that, but in this scenario we don't, and anyone after Watson and Trubisky (and *maybe* Kizer) won't be a plug and play starter. So we either draft a guy later, or we don't. Either way, cut RG3. It's clear the experiment is not working out. Fine, we knew that was likely last summer and we've lost nothing by it. No big deal. So I start Kessler who has looked like a very solid game manager at the minimum. The next part is slightly controversial, but stick with me. Sign Jay Cutler as backup. He's got to know he's basically done starting in this league and if he can come in for a reasonable contract he can still produce in spot starts. He's been around long enough to not need a lot of practise reps, and he's not in a leadership position, unlike in Chicago.

Step 7: Resign Pryor Make it heavily incentive laced for a year to see if he can do it again, then guaranteed if he's still on the roster come march 2018. But either way, he needs to be a browns, and he wants to play for Hue Jackson. He gives Kessler a big target.

Step 8: Draft a TE at 47 Gary Barnidge is good but not elite. Behind him, we have a bunch of names. None have anything like the explosive athleticism you see in top TEs these days. Telfer is apparently a good blocker, and I've seen it enough times I can believe it. Devalve is a guy. Hamlett is a guy. There are a few top tier (college) TEs coming out this year, like OJ Howard and Bucky Hodges, but the guy I go with here is Jake Butt. He's big, he can catch, he can block, he's fast enough if not elite speed. Point is, you don't know what he's going to do - you know barnidge/devalve will be out running a route because he's a poor blocker. You know you don't need to account for Telfer because he's basically another lineman.

From here on out it's best player available in the draft, and we're in position to pick up some quality depth if nothing else, particularly at less glamorous positions like running back and DL.

Step 9: Free Agency Fill the gaps. That's what FA is for, and in the starting line up as described above, the gaps aren't too numerous, but the biggest is at free safety, where Jordan Poyer and Ed Reynolds have been at best mediocre. If Eric Berry becomes available I'd throw the chequebook at him, but it's unlikely he comes to Cleveland. Otherwise, I don't see anybody else available who would be better. Next biggest hole is at DT. If we want to make a splashy signing we could go for a guy like Jonathan Hankins in New York, or whichever Jet gets cut out of Richardson and Wilkerson. Any of those guys would be an upgrade on Desmond Bryant who would then be released from his $7m contract. But this is a build through the draft process and I can't see us going after too many big name free agents.

To recap:

Retain: Pryor, Collins, Crowell, Pasztor

Draft:

1: Garrett Texas Straw Suckers

10: Humphry/Tabor, CB, 'Bama/Florida

33: Pat Elflein, C, OSU

47: Jake Butt, TE, TTUN

Sign in FA (if available and persuadable):

Eric Berry

Richardson/Hankins/Wilkerson

Roster looks like:

Offense:

QB - Kessler - Cutler - Hogan

RB - Crowell - Duke - ??? - That guy we just signed from Dallas

WR - Pryor; Higgins, Louis

WR - Coleman; Hawkins, Payton

TE - Barnidge, Butt, Telfer, DeValve

LT - Thomas

LG - Bitonio

C - Elflein

RG - Cooper

RT - Pasztor

OL6 - Greco

OL7 - Coleman

OL8 - Drango

OL9 - Erving/Reiter

(26)

Defense:

LDE - Ogbah - Nassib

LDT - Shelton - Meder

RDT - Bryant/Richardson - Cooper

RDE - Garrett - Orchard

DL9 - ???

LOLB - Kirksey - Schobert

MLB - Davis - ???

ROLB - Collins - Alexander

CB1 - Humphry - Taylor

CB2 - Haden - Boddy-Calhoun

FS - Poyer/Berry - Reynolds

SS - Kindred - Campbell

DB9 - ???

LS - who cares

K - Parkey

P - Colquitt

A couple of roster spots available at the bottom for other draft picks, but by an large it's in decent shape, with a great front seven, potentially secondary if we can solve the FS problem (I couldn't...for now), and solid OL to run the ball behind, with some playmakers at receiver if we can get the ball in their hands.

Now, let me have it...

Insane how some of you still get hung up on 34 and 43.

Our base front is a nickel package at this point. We run some under and some 34 nickel which is essentially a 33. I'm having trouble thinking of a team that runs a specific and 'pure'scheme anymore. Your argument in it is old.

What do the vikes do? Every game ive seen from this year they had the same 4 and 3 lb'ers. Im not sure they even zone their ends. That d line is a prototype 43 dl, and i like it. They held their own against those dallas monsters a few weeks ago. Most pressure ive seen dak under this year

They're a nickel team as well, for the most part. They'll also take Barr and use him as a WLB, or at times put in him a 3pt. On passing downs they use a lot of 33 looks, double A gap pressures and jams.

Their base looks like an over call. But if you're going to refer to any defense and simply call it a 43 based on what their base is, then to me that's the defense you spend your most time in. That would be the nickel for every team in the NFL.

Whennic a team employing 2 DT's and 2 full time hands in the dirt proper like DE's.....i call em a 43 no matter what they do with the lb'ers. For me it boils down to personnel types. A team that has some 250-260lb hybrid guy that sometimes stands sometimes gets down, thats not a 43 thats the gay 34 ive come to despise mainly cause it dont work here.

Im sorry but i pay attention to our edges and how they establish the point in the run game and how well they trim the edge on their way to the qb. All of which our 34 guys simply stink at. Yeah they've gotten a few sacks cause some qb didnt step up in time, but consistency wise they're terrible. They cannot establish and hold the point against the run, at all. They're always diving inside or out immediately cause they know they cannot hold off the tackles for even a split second to read theplay. So they just guess right from snap and the RB's always read them, always. Mccoy could have run for 200+ yds if rex wanted it. It was just there everytime. When nassib amd ogbah are in there things get a little more congested for opposing rb's it seems. Not saying those guys are run stopping savants but they seem to perturb the rumning lanes alot better than the 34 olb'ers

Here's mine:

Step 0: Resign - Resign Jonathan Cooper as RG and Terrelle Pryor at WR. These two cannot be allowed to hit the FA market.

Step 0.5: Free Agency - Sign Luke Joeckel at RT either Stephon Gilmore and DJ Hayden at CB - both would be suitable acquisitions as they are both young (26) and will likely not receive gigantic contracts due to underperformance. This would give us two young, talented starters at two positions of need that would not cost us much money comparatively. SS Jahleel Addae is set to hit the market next year if the Chargers don't find a way to lock him down. He's a heavy hitting SS that would be a great fit for us - he's young and won't command too much money but should theoretically outplay his contract given what he's currently valued and what he's able to produce.

Contracts of free agents added - (keep in mind I was extremely conservative with how much they'd be paid, I assumed almost $8-10 mil higher than what similar counterparts made last year):

• Luke Jockel - 5 yr/ $35 million - $7mil/year
  • Stephon Gilmore - 4 yr / $50 million - $12.5mil/year
  • Jahleel Addae - 5 yr/ $45 million - $9mil/year

Steps 1, 2, and 3 seem like no brainers to me - switch to 43, resign Collins, draft Garrett at #1. That gives us two very talented players in our front seven for at least the next four years.

Step 4: The QB. As it stands right now, I don't foresee us able to land either Kizer or Trubisky at #33 - so I suggest taking one of the two at #7. I'm more partial to Kizer at this moment, personally. There's a lot to be said for his durability, athletic ability, and "it" quality. He's a Derek Carr in the making, in my opinion - he needs refinement and coaching but he possesses almost every single thing you'd want and I see him being a good fit in a Hue (circa 2014) offense. Heavy run and play action will create hesitancy, as we all know, allowing Kizer to take advantage down the field and on intermediate routes.

Step 5: The Switch. What I'd like to see is Haden pull a Woodson and make the switch to free safety. He's lost a step but has the same instincts and ball skills. He'd benefit from playing center field and it's similar to us adding a guy like Eric Berry via FA, just cheaper as we won't be taking on a new big contract.

Step 6: The other CB: Then, at #33, I suggest taking Adoree Jackson...or King or Jones if they so happen to be available. Basically BCB available to start opposite our FA CB.

Step 7: The TE. I have to agree that Barnidge, while being one of my favorites, isn't an all around TE. Getting a guy like Jake Butt at #47 would allow us the opportunity to have an all purpose TE to trot out their in 2TE sets and keep the defense slightly on their heels. Eventually he'd become our TE1, obviously.

Step 8: The Rest of the Draft. Take BPA rest of the draft, but don't focus on OL. We don't need it. We don't suffer from a lack of talented bodies, we suffer from a lack of keeping those talented bodies on the field in the position they are used to playing. OL is a groove position more than ANY other position on the field being that your job is dependent on the guy next to you not failing at his. If the BPA is an OL, take him. But if not, don't reach. I would like to see us add Ryan Switzer in the later rounds, he has a knack for finding soft spots. I would also like to see us land Kyle Fuller in the 4th, he has starter potential in the future.

Roster:

bold denotes rookie

italics denotes free agent

underline denotes new position

Offense:
QB - Kizer - Kessler - Hogan
RB - Crowell - Duke - Jackson
WR1- Pryor - Higgins - Louis
WR2 - Coleman - Hawkins - Switzer - Alford
TE - Barnidge - Butt - DeValve
LT - Thomas - Coleman
LG - Bitonio - Reiter - Erving
C - Greco - Fuller
RG - Cooper - Erving - Reiter
RT - Joeckel - Pazstor

Defense:

LDE - Ogbah - Nassib
LDT - Shelton - Meder
RDT - Bryant- Cooper
RDE - Garrett - Orchard

LOLB - Kirksey - Schobert
MLB - Davis -
ROLB - Collins - Johnson

CB1 - Gilmore/Hayden
CB2 - Jackson/King - Boddy-Calhoun

NICKEL - Taylor
FS - Haden - Baker
SS - Addae - Kindred - Campbell

Key points:

• That gives us 6 new immediate starters (QB, RT, CB1, CB2, SS, DE) along with a new face at FS (Haden), LOLB (Kirksey), RG (Cooper) and DT (Bryant). That's 10 positions addressed via FA and the draft.
  • Our OL would be composed of three 1st round picks (Thomas, Cooper, Joeckel) a 2nd round pick (Bito) and Greco. Assuming non-injury, that would give us among one of the most talented offensive lines in the league on paper and with an entire offseason to work together, I believe they'd be just as good on the field.
  • We'd have the leading pass rushers of 2015 and 2016 at DE positions, along with another top pass rusher (Nassib) in the wings.
  • Although there's honestly no way of knowing, I'd venture a guess that Haden would rank among the top 15 of FS in his first year. There would be growing pains, but he has the skillset for a center field position. He just wouldn't be a hitter.
  • The Kirksey/Davis LB combo would be weak, but you can't fix everything immediately.

Insane how some of you still get hung up on 34 and 43.

Our base front is a nickel package at this point. We run some under and some 34 nickel which is essentially a 33. I'm having trouble thinking of a team that runs a specific and 'pure'scheme anymore. Your argument in it is old.

It's not the nomenclature that bothers me, it's the utilization of drafted player's skillsets. I don't care if we run a 425, 43, 46 or 33 and then trot a OLB up to the line - I'd just like to see us use our drafted 1gap edge rushers as what they are along with having them rush from the 2pt, cover, and play contain. It's a waste to draft a true 4-3 DE and then have him solely play 3-4 OLB, even if it's a good transition for him. It would be like buying a Lamborghini solely to sit in traffic.

Having Garrett, Ogbah, Collins, Orchard and Nassib as rotating ends/OLB allows us more flexibility to switch easily from a 4 man front to a 3 man front without having to change personnel often. Collins can play OLB in 3 or 4 man fronts, Ogbah, Garrett and Orchard can play OLB or DE if needed, Nassib can play DE in 3 or 4 man fronts.

Line up in whatever front you'd like, but a rush package with Garrett and Ogbah on the ends is a tantalizing scenario to imagine. Having the ability to shift down to that at the drop of the hat is even more tantalizing.

You getting hung up on nomenclature is old.

You can say an argument between 34 and 43 is meaningless because we're in nickel about 40-50% of the time, but then that likely means four down lineman. If we then make the base "not nickel" a 43 then Garrett fits both better than Allen.

If Cutler can accept a backup role and comes in with a good attitude then I really like that idea. Not sure if he does either. I find it difficult to keep McCown another year because he can't actually play football. And at some point, no matter how good of a locker room guy you are, that matters.

McCown's retiring, no doubt. He should be retained though on staff.

If he decides to go that way, he just might become a good HC. Not many can coach up a QB anymore and he seems to have a knack. That maybe something to keep in mind next year when we could be faced with an interim HC and looking for a new one type situation.

• Step 4: The QB. As it stands right now, I don't foresee us able to land either Kizer or Trubisky at #33 - so I suggest taking one of the two at #7. I'm more partial to Kizer at this moment, personally. There's a lot to be said for his durability, athletic ability, and "it" quality. He's a Derek Carr in the making, in my opinion - he needs refinement and coaching but he possesses almost every single thing you'd want and I see him being a good fit in a Hue (circa 2014) offense. Heavy run and play action will create hesitancy, as we all know, allowing Kizer to take advantage down the field and on intermediate routes.

Step 5: The Switch. What I'd like to see is Haden pull a Woodson and make the switch to free safety. He's lost a step but has the same instincts and ball skills. He'd benefit from playing center field and it's similar to us adding a guy like Eric Berry via FA, just cheaper as we won't be taking on a new big contract.

Step 6: The other CB: Then, at #33, I suggest taking Adoree Jackson...or King or Jones if they so happen to be available. Basically BCB available to start opposite our FA CB.

Great thoughts TCPO..couple wrenches. Adoree Jackson stock will rise after combine due to his track history imo (7-10). I also like Kizer slightly over Mitch. What's your opinion on getting some experience back in the QB room with the trade talks of Jimmy G/Glennon or Cutler over a Kizer or Mitch which may send a worse message to Kessler?

Great thoughts TCPO..couple wrenches. Adoree Jackson stock will rise after combine due to his track history imo (7-10). I also like Kizer slightly over Mitch. What's your opinion on getting some experience back in the QB room with the trade talks of Jimmy G/Glennon or Cutler over a Kizer or Mitch which may send a worse message to Kessler?

I also think Jackson will rise, which should conceivably push one of the three four CBs currently slotted ahead of him to fall. I don't think there will be four CBS taken in the first this year but I may be wrong, I'll admit I haven't watched much tape on most of them outside Tabor and Jackson.

As for Kessler, I think adding a QB any which way will have the same effect on him. I believe he knows he's not a franchise savior.

I like him a lot but I don't see that potential in him, he's giving off a Siemian/Keenum/Foles vibe - good QB, good guy, could win games in a good scenario but won't win games on his own. A capable backup to mid level starter at best.

But I also think he's the perfect QB for us because having him means we won't have to rush a guy if we don't have to. Kizer may not be a day one starter. None of these guys scream day one starter, actually.

In my heart of hearts I'm starting to feel like the plan was Kizer all along. We've apparently scouted the absolute shit out of him and I vaguely recall Hue and co. saying last year before the draft that the best QB prospect in college football might not have even been in last years draft. I think the plan may have been to get a mid round guy last year who could take the pressure of our early round guy this year. Obviously, we were hoping to win a couple games so that mid round guy would have some confidence going into 2017, but alas.

Whennic a team employing 2 DT's and 2 full time hands in the dirt proper like DE's.....i call em a 43 no matter what they do with the lb'ers. For me it boils down to personnel types. A team that has some 250-260lb hybrid guy that sometimes stands sometimes gets down, thats not a 43 thats the gay 34 ive come to despise mainly cause it dont work here.

That's beyond general as the defensive alignment itself is the callsign. So if Anythony Barr has his hand in the ground as a DE, on that particular play that's a 4 man front. 33 personnel, doesn't make it a "34".

And If you're willing to just throw away what the linebackers do, then you're discounting the '3' part in the 43

Im sorry but i pay attention to our edges and how they establish the point in the run game and how well they trim the edge on their way to the qb

All of which our 34 guys simply stink at. Yeah they've gotten a few sacks cause some qb didnt step up in time, but consistency wise they're terrible. They cannot establish and hold the point against the run, at all.

So.... if our guys are that ineffective now, you're saying just changing the label of the defense, but maintaining the same gap assignments will somehow magically make them better...?

So.... if our guys are that ineffective now, you're saying just changing the label of the defense, but maintaining the same gap assignments will somehow magically make them better...?

Mo, i want the straight up 34 olb'ers out of here. The other 43 guys that have been standing up can get their hands back in tje ground next year if it were my call. Guys like lemonier, johnson, collins, schobert.....unless they can prove they can be decent 4-3 olb'ers......bye!

Like collins and schobert id keep around long enough to see what the can do in tje 43. And especially if we draft garett or allen. I know we wouldnt stand allen up, at least i hope not, but i can see us doing garett likevthat and something tells me thats exactly what he's worried about us doing which is why he hasnt officially declared

If Cutler can accept a backup role and comes in with a good attitude then I really like that idea. Not sure if he does either. I find it difficult to keep McCown another year because he can't actually play football. And at some point, no matter how good of a locker room guy you are, that matters.

you'd be hard pressed to name me a better guy as 3rd string qb. He's good with the mentoring role, balls of an elephant, solid mentally on the game and can play in a pinch.

I'm already frustrated about this game because of RG III and the anticipated weather. RG III is so completely frustrating to watch. He's late on so many throws, and I don't see that getting better. Heck, even on that one long pass to Hawkins, he STILL screwed up. He was several seconds late on that throw, and had he thrown it when he SHOULD'VE, Hawkins might've had a chance to score. He's a pretty shifty guy in the open field, but who knows. The throw ended up being awesome, but if you look at that play from above, you'll see Hawk WIDE OPEN long before the ball is thrown. Remember hearing how good RG III was at throwing the deep ball? Have you seen anything good? I haven't. So we're basically going to wait at least a quarter, probably longer, before Cody comes in. I can see it now. 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. Oh, and the weather? Last time I checked it was 70% chance of rain. That'll make for a terrific game in 35 degree weather.

Archived