THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns add 14 Undrafted Free Agents

standish

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/01/browns-add-14/

The newest Browns are: Marcus Benard, LB, Jackson State; Corey Boudreaux, DB, San Diego State; Branndon Braxton, OL, Oklahoma; Brent Casteel, WR, Utah; Marlon Davis, OL, Alabama; Jonathan Foster, LB, Central State; Adam Hoppel, DL, Cincinnati; Phillip Hunt, LB, Houston; Mike Massey, TE, Michigan; Nate Ness, DB, Arizona; Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State; Antonio Smith, DB, Bowling Green; Jason Venson, DB, Central Florida; Bryan Williams, DB, Akron.

Thats..... a lot of defensive players. :blink:

Apparently Mankok isnt so sure about the depth of our team just yet.... I wonder who we intend to cut to make room? Preseason will be interesting to say the least.

Man, I honestly can say I have not been this excited for football season in a long time. :lol:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/01/browns-add-14/

The newest Browns are: Marcus Benard, LB, Jackson State; Corey Boudreaux, DB, San Diego State; Branndon Braxton, OL, Oklahoma; Brent Casteel, WR, Utah; Marlon Davis, OL, Alabama; Jonathan Foster, LB, Central State; Adam Hoppel, DL, Cincinnati; Phillip Hunt, LB, Houston; Mike Massey, TE, Michigan; Nate Ness, DB, Arizona; Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State; Antonio Smith, DB, Bowling Green; Jason Venson, DB, Central Florida; Bryan Williams, DB, Akron.

I really like Hunt as a situational pass rusher/special teams.

Here's his bio from CBS sportsline:

This undersized but strong, hustling rush end put a hurt on Conference USA opponents in his four years in Houston. Hunt lined up at tackle, end and linebacker, and scouts like his versatility. He was twice a first-team All-CUSA pick, accumulating 107 tackles, 36.5 for loss, 25 sacks and five forced fumbles in his junior and senior seasons. In 2008 he was C-USA's Defensive Player of the Year.

2007 Season

First team All-Conf USA. Award-winning member of defensive front … Team leader in tackles for loss, sacks and pass breakups … Had at least one tackle for loss in all but two games … One of 12 players to start all 13 games … Posted a 5-yard sack at Oregon during the season opener … Recorded two solo tackles, including one for a loss of nine yards, at Conference USA rival Tulane … Posted three tackles, including an 11-yard sack, against Colorado State during the home opener … Finished with 1.5 tackles for a loss of 14 yards and a pass breakup against the Rams … Recorded eight tackles, including one for a 4-yard loss, against C-USA rival East Carolina … Also added a sack assist for a loss of three yards and two pass breakups against the Pirates … Posted seven tackles, including four solo stops, and added a quarterback pressure at Alabama … Recorded eight tackles, including three solo stops, against Rice … Added three tackles for a loss of 18 yards, including a 9-yard sack, with a forced fumble and three pass breakups against the Owls … Recorded four tackles, including three solo stops, at C-USA rival UAB … Added two tackles for a loss of 10 yards, including a 9- yard sack, and returned his first career interception eight yards against the Blazers … Finished with three solo tackles and a pair of quarterback hurries at UTEP … Recorded six tackles, including three solo stops, against SMU … Added three tackles for a loss of 21 yards, including 2.5 sacks for a loss of 21 yards, against the Mustangs … Also forced a fumble and broke up two passes against SMU … Honored as the C-USA Defensive Player of the Week for that performance … Recorded three tackles, including 1.5 for a loss of three yards, at C-USA rival Tulsa … Also posted an assisted sack for a loss of two yards with three quarterback hurries against the Golden Hurricane … Recorded a 4-yard sack with two pass breakups against C-USA rival Marshall … Posted three tackles, including a sack for a loss of five yards, against Texas Southern during the regular-season finale. Texas Bowl: Recorded six tackles, including four solo stops, against TCU … Finished with two tackles for a loss of 13 yards, including a 7-yard sack, against the Horned Frogs.

2006 Season

One of only 10 players to start all 14 games, setting a UH single-season record … was named to the All-Conference USA Second Team by the media … also picked up Third-Team, All-C-USA accolades from the head coaches … team leader with 12 tackles for a loss of 43 yards and eight sacks for 37 yards … ranked fourth in C-USA with his sack total … second on team with eight quarterback pressures … made seven tackles, including five solo, during the season opener at Rice … added three tackles for a loss of nine yards, including a 7-yard sack against the Owls … recorded three tackles with a pass breakup against Tulane during the home opener … posted two tackles, including one for a 2-yard loss, against Grambling State … made four solo tackles at Miami (Fla.) … finished with four tackles, including a 4-yard sack, and added two quarterback pressures against UTEP … posted five tackles, including four solo, and added three quarterback pressures and a fumble recovery against UCF … recorded three tackles, including two solo, and added a quarterback pressure against Tulsa … posted nine tackles, including seven solo, with three sacks for a loss of 12 yards at SMU to help the Cougars clinch the C-USA West Division … was named the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week for that effort … posted four tackles, including a 5-yard sack, and broke up a pass at Memphis to help the Cougars clinch home-field advantage for the C-USA Championship game … posted four tackles, including two for a loss of seven yards, and added a 6-yard sack against Southern Miss during the C-USA Championship Game … recorded seven tackles, including four solo, with a 3-yard sack against South Carolina in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl.

2005 Season

Competed in all 12 games as a reserve … second on the team with six quarterback hurries … named to the Conference USA All-Freshman team … made three tackles for a loss of three yards at Tulsa … posted five tackles, including a solo stop, against Tulane … made one tackle, broke up a pass and added a quarterback hurry at Mississippi State … posted two tackles, including a 9-yard sack, against Southern Miss.

2004 Season

Redshirted the season.

OK, Here it Goes!!!!

Evidently, these are the BEST un-drafted free agents ever signed.

All the un-drafted free agent experts are saying the Browns have signed the best un-drafted free agents out of every team.

The Patriots got a VERY low grade in their un-drafted free agent pick up grades. As did the Ravens. I guess we really ticked off the Ravens because we got the best un-drafted free agents out there.

Mangini has out smarted Parcells in his un-drafted free agent signings ability.

Mankok is just filling up camp with bodies to force good competition anyone getting a spot on this roster will have earned it...lets just hope injuries are minimal..

Its a great way to give some undrafted guys a chance to show what they have to offer as well..;)

It's obvious that the FO sees the need for help in the defensive backfield. Between the draft and signing undrafted FA's they are bringing in 8 new DB's. The odds alone say they find at least one gem out of that group.

I'd bet that one of the reasons the FO didn't go after a corner this year with an early pick is next year's draft is loaded with day 1 Corners. They can get a good one in round two or early on day 2.

this year's draft was not deep for corners or safeties.

It's obvious that the FO sees the need for help in the defensive backfield. Between the draft and signing undrafted FA's they are bringing in 8 new DB's. The odds alone say they find at least one gem out of that group.

I'd bet that one of the reasons the FO didn't go after a corner this year with an early pick is next year's draft is loaded with day 1 Corners. They can get a good one in round two or early on day 2.

Yea, the are obviously playing the percentages here haha. The more you try the better chance at finding a decent guy. I'm still a fan or Wright and Bmac. Going into their third season and with better help around them I hope to see an extra step from them. The depth behind them is frightening!

Every time I watch teams like Balt and a new DB steps in and makes a play I think to myself, "where did this guy come from? He is young (maybe undrafted) and he is in there with the confidence of his team." I would love to see that on our end once in a while.

This is what I am talking about, the more competition at different positions, will make the young guys so much better. I love how everyone was a Mangini hater when he signed with us, and now he and the FO have done a pretty damn good job putting together a descent team. I know we look ok on paper, and the big injury has yet to happen, but we do look a shit load better and I think we got a couple of steals in the draft, remember slow and steady wins the race. In other news I am going to be a daddy.

I wonder if that DL Adam Hoppel from Cinci is the same Adam Hoppel that was I believe a 2-time heavyweight champion wrestler in high school in Ohio couple years back...I would imagine that it is, and if so I like it. Gotta love the quick feet and grappling ability that former great h.s. wrestlers possess as linemen...they ususally have great hip work as well and if it is that Adam, I know this to be true as well w/him. Like the pickup.

This is what I am talking about, the more competition at different positions, will make the young guys so much better. I love how everyone was a Mangini hater when he signed with us, and now he and the FO have done a pretty damn good job putting together a descent team. I know we look ok on paper, and the big injury has yet to happen, but we do look a shit load better and I think we got a couple of steals in the draft, remember slow and steady wins the race. In other news I am going to be a daddy.

Way to go, best of everything to you & family, DADDYOH!

THIS TAKES THE CAKE:

All the un-drafted free agent experts are saying the Browns have signed the best un-drafted free agents out of every team.

wo...now thats the funniest thing I've ever heard...koolaid runs in you veins...ha ha haw

OK, Here it Goes!!!!

Evidently, these are the BEST un-drafted free agents ever signed.

The Patriots got a VERY low grade in their un-drafted free agent pick up grades. As did the Ravens. I guess we really ticked off the Ravens because we got the best un-drafted free agents out there.

Mangini has out smarted Parcells in his un-drafted free agent signings ability.

Lighten up Francis, this is the slow time of year for everything football. At this point any story is a good story ;)

Guest Aloysius
I really like Hunt as a situational pass rusher/special teams.

Ditto. I was actually looking around yesterday trying to find out where he signed. It's great that we got him.

Perhaps anticipating a move to linebacker in the pro's, Hunt showed up to his pro day at a svelte 244 lbs. He then proceeded to put up some great workout numbers: 4.75 40, 4.22 shuttle, 6.91 3-cone, 41.5" vertical. His 14 bench wasn't at all impressive, but it's something a year in an NFL weight room should fix.

Guest Aloysius
Marcus Benard, LB, Jackson State

Benard notched 15 sacks and 22.5 TFL's last year playing defensive end, and it looks like the Browns think he's athletic enough to play outside linebacker. He ran a 4.72 40 at his pro day, which is impressive for a guy his size (6'4", 270 lbs.). He also put up 20 reps of 225, posted a 31" vertical and a 9'08" broad jump.

Could be an interesting guy to watch.

Alo, are these guys worth getting interested in, let alone excited about?

Hunt seems legit but it seems hard to believe no one else would take a flier on him.

What would be the counter-argument to the DraftGuys comparing him to Elvis Dumervil?

Guest Aloysius

I guess the counterargument would be that Dumervil's deceptively strong (he put up 30 reps of 225) and is a rare case of an undersized, not overly athletic pass rusher having a lot of success early on in his career.

Unless a guy's got Dwight Freeney athleticism (4.48 40), teams are going to be a bit down on any pass rusher measuring under 6'2". Look at how LaMarr Woodley slipped to the 2nd round and Everette Brown, a guy some here were hoping we'd take at #5, ended up falling to #43.

I'm not saying that Hunt's going to be as good as those guys, but I think it's smart to pick up these underrated short guys as late round picks or UDFA's. Last year, Jameel McClain was a guy I wanted; he signed with the Ravens, made the team, and became a core special teams player. He worked his way into some spot duty on defense late in the year and ended up notching 2.5 sacks.

Hunt could be a very similar type of contributor for us. Though he lacks McClain's versatility (McClain played DE, ILB, and OLB in college), Hunt could work his way onto the roster by proving himself on special teams, thereby buying himself a year to develop his linebacker skills.

If we'd taken him in the 6th round, I would have been happy with the pick. Fortunately, we got him as an undrafted free agent. Not sure why he fell, though I suspect the hit Heck & I discussed here could be part of the reason why.

Guest Aloysius

Akron RB Andrew Johnson is at rookie camp. He's not on the list because he's there on a tryout; he hasn't yet received a contract offer from the Browns.

Our lack of depth in the secondary was a big weakness last year.

Mankok is just filling up camp with bodies to force good competition anyone getting a spot on this roster will have earned it...lets just hope injuries are minimal..

Its a great way to give some undrafted guys a chance to show what they have to offer as well..;)

Your right on, we finally have a coach that knows what he is doing. This is how you get the most out of your players.

I guess the counterargument would be that Dumervil's deceptively strong (he put up 30 reps of 225) and is a rare case of an undersized, not overly athletic pass rusher having a lot of success early on in his career.

Unless a guy's got Dwight Freeney athleticism (4.48 40), teams are going to be a bit down on any pass rusher measuring under 6'2". Look at how LaMarr Woodley slipped to the 2nd round and Everette Brown, a guy some here were hoping we'd take at #5, ended up falling to #43.

I'm not saying that Hunt's going to be as good as those guys, but I think it's smart to pick up these underrated short guys as late round picks or UDFA's. Last year, Jameel McClain was a guy I wanted; he signed with the Ravens, made the team, and became a core special teams player. He worked his way into some spot duty on defense late in the year and ended up notching 2.5 sacks.

Hunt could be a very similar type of contributor for us. Though he lacks McClain's versatility (McClain played DE, ILB, and OLB in college), Hunt could work his way onto the roster by proving himself on special teams, thereby buying himself a year to develop his linebacker skills.

If we'd taken him in the 6th round, I would have been happy with the pick. Fortunately, we got him as an undrafted free agent. Not sure why he fell, though I suspect the hit Heck & I discussed here could be part of the reason why.

I agree with you Alo if we would have picked him in the sixth I would have been happy. There were about 6-8 late round guys I liked and I was hoping to get Frantz Joesph included as well as Hunt. I like in the video where it shows he has more than one move he has 2-3. Which in this league you need more than one. Now will that translate to the pro's I don't know. What I do know is you can't teach production you can teach technique. This guy had a lot of production in two years.

Guest Aloysius
I agree with you Alo if we would have picked him in the sixth I would have been happy. There were about 6-8 late round guys I was hoping to get Frantz Joseph included as well as Hunt. I like in the video where it shows he has more than one move he has 2-3. Which in this league you need more than one. Now will that translate to the pro's I don't know. What I do know is you can't teach production you can teach technique. This guy had a lot of production in two years.

And one of the best things I've read about Hunt is that whenever he wasn't going through drills at the East-West Shrine Game practices, he was busy working on the new hand technique the coaches there had shown him. I heard something similar about Joseph: when all the other guys were goofing around before practices at Texas vs. the Nation, Joseph was pumping himself up like he was getting ready for a bowl game.

Both are high energy, self-motivated types. Would have loved it if the Browns signed both of them, but I'm happy that we at least got one.

Guest Aloysius

Another reason to get excited about Hunt: theOBR's draft guru, Brent "Sobo" Sobleski, gave Hunt a 4th round grade and says he's "a very very interesting OLB project."

I agree.

And one of the best things I've read about Hunt is that whenever he wasn't going through drills at the East-West Shrine Game practices, he was busy working on the new hand technique the coaches there had shown him. I heard something similar about Joseph: when all the other guys were goofing around before practices at Texas vs. the Nation, Joseph was pumping himself up like he was getting ready for a bowl game.

Both are high energy, self-motivated types. Would have loved it if the Browns signed both of them, but I'm happy that we at least got one.

That's exactly what this team needs self-motivators. That is infectus and other guys will catch on. It's good to have these lower level guys come in and push the veterans. You gotta love the energy these type of guys bring.

Guest Aloysius

Sigmund Bloom of Draftguys.com put together grades for each team's UDFA signings. He gave us a C, though he may have given us a higher grade if he'd known about the Hunt signing.

I do agree with him that Ravens and Bengals did very well.

Archived