THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns add 14 Undrafted Free Agents

standish

I am shocked That Beckwith from LSU and Jeremiah Johnson from Oregon both went undrafted....Any shockers for you?

I was surprised with beckwith as well.

Also Marshall's C.J. Spillman. After his combine numbers I thought he had to be a day 2 pick. I was hoping the day of the draft he'd get a call from the Browns but the Chargers signed him as a FA.

Guest Aloysius

As with Erin Henderson last year, knee issues seem to be the reason Beckwith wasn't drafted:

Darry Beckwith was supposed to be a third-round pick. The highly rated inside linebacker out of LSU was known as an explosive hitter with the smarts to excel at the next level, but his draft status remained in flux due to a balky knee that sidelined him for parts of the last three seasons.

Beckwith figured that might cause a minor slide, but nothing like the free fall that occurred during last weekend's NFL draft.

"Teams just kept passing on me because of a medical thing," Beckwith said. "Each round, they kept passing and passing. When they passed the fourth round and I was still on the board, I started to get worried."

Jeremiah Johnson should have been drafted, but concerns about his long speed dropped him down draft boards. Some had him timed as slow as 4.71 in the 40 yard dash at the Combine, and he was only able to run a 4.56 at his pro day. Teammate Jason Williams, who ran a 4.72 at the Combine, was able to run a 4.47 at Oregon's pro day, so I'm guessing that 4.56 came on a very fast track.

Archived