THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade Down Implications

WPB Dawg Fan

Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread. Combined, the ideas here have really put a different light on this years draft.

Over the past years...the Browns have gone for the BIG OOOOOH pick. The knock your socks off blockbuster that is supposed to turn the team around immediately....and although we have had some immediate results on occasion, they have lacked staying power.

This draft, while not being dazzling, has the feel of longevity and planning. Of turning the TEAM around instead of adding a flashy PIECE.

I am excited...not because of one individual pick or player...but because we brought in ENOUGH picks and players to get improvement on SEVERAL areas of this team. (hope JoeSixPat is able to understand that)

Anyway...this discussion has been great...and to everyone who has added another piece to the puzzle...THANKS!!!

You can go around the league and identify someone like that on every successful passing team, yet all people want to talk about is the #1 receivers around the league. Remember Moss in NE two years ago? The NFL media were creaming all over themselves about this guy, but who was really moving the chains in Foxboro? Wes Welker with about a bajillion catches.

You're correct. My favorite example is Arizona. While Fitzgerald is their obvious #1, Boldin and Breaston had 89 and 77 catches respectively.

You can double Fitzgerald all day long but then you leave Boldin and/or Breaston in single coverage. In the end all three are going to hurt you.

Guest mz.

Exactly. Most, if not all great number ones had a good, if not very good, number two.

Rice had Taylor.

Irvin had Harper.

Monk had Clark.

Harrison had Wayne. Now Wayne has help, too.

Even Slaughter had Langhorne :)

Who has Edwards had?

I am excited...not because of one individual pick or player...but because we brought in ENOUGH picks and players to get improvement on SEVERAL areas of this team. (hope JoeSixPat is able to understand that)

Anyway...this discussion has been great...and to everyone who has added another piece to the puzzle...THANKS!!!

Yes - that was my exact point... not sure how you missed that. But suffice to say that while ALL of the picks could be good players - there's also the chance that NONE of them will.

But chances are SOME of them will - just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success - something I supect everyone in Cleveland should understand.

Yes - that was my exact point... not sure how you missed that. But suffice to say that while ALL of the picks could be good players - there's also the chance that NONE of them will.

But chances are SOME of them will - just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success - something I supect everyone in Cleveland should understand.

They will all be great picks cuz Mangini is truly genius.

I have no clue what you mean about the Browns and having failed first rounders. Perhaps you could enlighten us on those picks since I can't remember any. Thanks

Guest mz.

This Pats Fan just keeps dropping the science here, so to speak. Just mindblowing shit. I mean, I have learned so much about football in general, and the Browns in specific, from this football savant that I feel like a new man.

Thank you JoeSixPat!

Guest mz.
just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success

Like look at this gem.

I never thought of it that way!!!

Like look at this gem.

I never thought of it that way!!!

I hate to break this to you mz the pussy but I was actually aware of this. Apparently there have been a couple busts in the past for the Browns, so it does happen.

I had completely forgotten about it though, so a million thanks goes to SixPat for reminding us all that indeed, not every first round draft pick is a guaranteed success.

I feel ready to take on the world with my new found football IQ.

you know...I probably should have taken that into account when I first started this post....my GOD!!! The Browns may have actually NOT gotten an automatic pro-bowler at Center for the next 10 years? REALLY?

I guess I should re-enroll in the PATRIOTS WAY 101 course. I must have missed out on some of the key points.

Archived