THE BROWNS BOARD

Buckeye spring game

I've started to watch the game and have tried to break down some positions.

I had been hearing that Mike Adams had been looking terrible at left OT in spring practices but after watching the first two drives by the scarlet squad he is far and away the best looking lO-ineman. He has been dominating both Cam Heyward and Thomas Soloman from the right OT position. I love how lean Adams is. He looks like a DE.

I'll add more as I watch more of the game

I've started to watch the game and have tried to break down some positions.

I had been hearing that Mike Adams had been looking terrible at left OT in spring practices but after watching the first two drives by the scarlet squad he is far and away the best looking lO-ineman. He has been dominating both Cam Heyward and Thomas Soloman from the right OT position. I love how lean Adams is. He looks like a DE.

I'll add more as I watch more of the game

I've heard Adams has been a huge disappointment. First impressions until I watch it again: Pryor is going to shock people this year with his arm, he was firing the ball down there. I told this board coming out of HS his potential as a passer and the fact that he would develop.

Saine is looking for real finally. Having a one two combo with him and Herron is huge since we'll be airing it out. We're going to need some good backs to keep defenses honest. The receiving corps is deep as hell but I would expect Taurian Washington and Posey to be the starters with Sanzenbacher and Biggie Smalls as the slots and backups. They will be underestimated.

Biggest question mark is still oline, which kept OSU from truly being an elite team last year. Boren is bringing some serious meanness, but they need a couple more guys to step up along with Brewster and Cordle.

The defense is smallish but aggressive and quick with guys like Rolle and Jermale Hines and Tyler Moeller. This team has a chance to be elite, but they may be a little young this year.

Keep in mind, Pryor was humming the ball down there and the wind was swirling pretty bad. The one ball to Washington went 55 yards in the air but more importantly his intermediate stuff was lasered.

You are right Riff. Saine shown signs that we had not seen from him since he came. Showed patients and then great vision and burst. I was really impressed. If Jamaal berry doesn't win this job as a true Freshman that I would think Saine will be #1 on the depth chart. But I look for Berry to get carries. He's just too talented.

I'm surprised at how good Boren looked. I just wasn't sure if he was that good. He dominated at the line of scrimmage all day.

Storm Klein looked great for a true freshman that has enrolled early. Sometimes LB's have a tendancy to look a little lost when they come up to this level but he looked like an old pro at MLB.

They have to find a place for and play Ty Moeller a lot. This guy is all over the place making tackles. I love this kid. I guess no one works harder and it shows.

Ray Small's move that got him in the end zone was special.

Still watching and breaking down plays in slow motion.

The corner play for the Buckeyes could really be their biggest problem this year. Right now Amos and Chickwa are #1 on the depth chart and both looked bad at times Saturday. Chickwa got beat bad by Washington for the Grays' first TD and then Amos got beat badly by Small for the Gray's second TD. This position worries me greatly.

Etienne Sabino is listed #2 behind Spitler at MLB but he played the outside for Gray while Storm Klein played the middle. Sabino looks like a natural OLB and I'm surprised the staff is keeping him there behind Spitler in the middle. Unless they are think that he'll eventually replace Spitler on the dpeth chart.

After watching Klein surprisingly fine play at MLB in the spring game and Sabino great play on the outside maybe they'll think about moving Sabino to the outside as I doubt they are going to be able to keep Klein off the field for long.

On one play from the outside Sabino blitzed and beat the RT, then beat the Fullback and made the play on a run over the right guard center hole. His speed to the ball is special.

Taurin Washington was without a doubt Pryor's favorite target Saturday. After watching him catch and run I can see why.

I hope he gets his shot at some serious playing time this year. But with WR's like Sanzenbacher, Small, Posey and Thomas I think he's in for an up hill battle.

I couldn't believe that the Buckeyes had Jim Cordle as #1 at Right O-Tackle. Now I'm wondering if he's just there for the spring. In an interview Tressel was asked baout the O-line and he said that was going to be one of the more interesting situations this year...Finding a place for Jim Cordle and Bryant Browning. (Browning moved from RT to his natural RG postion)

That statement from Tressel makes me wonder if Cordle isn't there just for the spring. I still think Shugarts has to be the right tackle when he gets healthy. The guy was the #1 Tackle in the state of Texas coming out of High school and played well in his few chances there.

I feel good about that line if Shugarts starts at RT. From left to right you have Adams, Michigan transfer Justin Boren, Brewster, Cordle and Shurgarts.

Archived