THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Part Ways with a Top Talent Evaluator

Zombo

The Cleveland Browns have parted ways with talent evaluator Ron Hill according to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports. It was a "mutual" parting of ways with the respected scout.

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Browns-part-ways-with-top-talent-evaluator-50862062

What makes him the "Top Evaluator". I thought that was Andrew Berry.

If there's a negative spin to be spun, #DependOnLaCan to find it.

Second last of the Farmer guys. The last holdover is Charles Bailey.

Here's a surprising fact per a very knowledgeable reddit poster:

Our Browns have the largest FO/Scouting Dept. in the league... and the second place org is a distant second.

I may have just created a hashtag...

#DependOnLaCan to find it.

LOL!! No Biggie, No Board..Now he can tell everyone..Myles has a ridiculous draft score also

The Browns could have hired us Brownsboard folks and had better advice in previous years when they blew it badly.

Either that or we'd still be arguing without ever having sent in a card...

If there's a negative spin to be spun, #DependOnLaCan to find it.

Second last of the Farmer guys. The last holdover is Charles Bailey.

Here's a surprising fact per a very knowledgeable reddit poster:

Our Browns have the largest FO/Scouting Dept. in the league... and the second place org is a distant second.

LOL! You just might have. #2manychiefs

The Cleveland Browns have parted ways with talent evaluator Ron Hill according to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports. It was a "mutual" parting of ways with the respected scout.

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Browns-part-ways-with-top-talent-evaluator-50862062

Mutual parting....Ha!........always hated that statement....mutual, my ass....

If there's a negative spin to be spun....

I could spin a few.....though my only one would be how to find a quality(IE TRUE) consensus with the largest group....(without settling for middling vanilla crapola)

But, with all the coaching and staff changes, my positives are that they are making attempts to improve on the crap we saw last year....To me, all these changes are confirmation that what we saw was not acceptable....and was not the plan.....and that continued change and tinkering was required....

The GREAT news is that they are changing and tinkering.....its what Ive been campaigning for all along....(with a lot of resistance, I might add)

So, lets hope they keep it up till they get it right....

Either that or we'd still be arguing without ever having sent in a card...

We would select Myles Truballen..

... or perhaps we are moving away from relying on "one guy"...

I thought we did that already?......consensus, remember?

And, "if" we were relying on one guy, do you think it was this one?

I thought we did that already?......consensus, remember?

And, "if" we were relying on one guy, do you think it was this one?

Nah... we don't have a single "the one". But there is the "old dogs, new tricks" thing and someone who has been "the one" would have the most trouble adapting to a consensus approach. That said I think consensus applies to our cross-functional approach more it does within a given department.

In a department I would first and foremost want to avoid "group-think". I would want independent voices championing, or campaigning against, individual players. Not to the level of pound-on-the-table, at least not as a constant diet, but I would want clear positioning on every assigned evaluation. Then I can evaluate my evaluators on a rotating basis, culling those with substandard track records. It's really no different than turning over rostered players. And while I doubt it's an revolutionary approach, it is one I would be sure was ingrained in my org.

So I think the question is: what was Ron Hill's track record? It would seem to not be one that will be missed. Same for the dismissals that preceded him... at least that's the hope in the majority of cases. But some dismissals are certainly also influenced by the extent that they, including Ron, played well with others, i.e., knew when to stop pounding the table. Or in an extreme case aired their minority opinions outside the building.... ours of which has been pretty air tight... aside from the whole "wreck this league" bit now a couple years gone by.

Harder to let go of things when you've been the one.

Or maybe we are moving towards relying on "one guy"

Obviously I can't guarantee we are not, but I'll cover most any bet we aren't.

Simply does not fit with the consensus-driven approach all accounts have us morphing into.

Archived