THE BROWNS BOARD

Religious & Political Tests at the Border

Osiris

I will reserve immediate comment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/canadian-woman-turned-away-from-u-s-border-after-questions-about-religion-trump-1.3972019

TLDR: Canadian Muslim woman wants to take son with cancer on a trip USA to cheer him up. Border police question her extensively about her religious beliefs and practices. Go through her phone which has religious prayers on it. Question her about her opinion on Donald Trump and his immigration ban. She is denied entry.

That story sounds ridiculous. 9 times out of 10 if something sounds like bullshit, it is bullshit. However, makes for a great scary story. I am sure it will be told around campfires. "Then they unlocked our phones! Woooo-oooo!"

It does sound ridiculous which is why everyone should be worried. It's already being reported by multiple news outlets. Your "test" of fake newsery isn't very empirical, though.

It does sound ridiculous which is why everyone should be worried. It's already being reported by multiple news outlets. Your "test" of fake newsery isn't very empirical, though.

That isn't just news so much as life. A story that sounds like a fairy tale or horror fiction is likely a fairy tale or horror fiction. If this ends up being true then I will redact my take on it and will be pissed. However, this sounds like shenanigans.

That isn't just news so much as life. A story that sounds like a fairy tale or horror fiction is likely a fairy tale or horror fiction. If this ends up being true then I will redact my take on it and will be pissed. However, this sounds like shenanigans.

I imagine the only proof that will satisfy you is an admission by our own government, which we both know won't happen. Still, other outlets are reporting the same story:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/i-was-denied-entry-to-u-s-after-questions-about-trump-religion-muslim-quebecer-says

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news/watch-muslim-canadian-denied-entry-to-u-s-1.2389903

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/i-felt-humiliated-muslim-canadian-denied-at-us-border-after-being-asked-whether-she-likes-trump/

Oh I fully expect lots of news agencies to cover it. Trump as the boogie man sells well and the journalists don't have to do any research.

An admission by our govt or a recording of the exchange (everyone is glued to their cell now) would do.

Anecdotally, coworker said his family drove down and didn't get hassled at the border. They got the usual "are you bringing in animals, plants,.." type questions.

Oh I fully expect lots of news agencies to cover it. Trump as the boogie man sells well and the journalists don't have to do any research.

An admission by our govt or a recording of the exchange (everyone is glued to their cell now) would do.

Anecdotally, coworker said his family drove down and didn't get hassled at the border. They got the usual "are you bringing in animals, plants,.." type questions.

That anecdote does nothing to invalidate the report of this Canadian woman. I also have Muslim relatives from Canada and they all say it just depends on who you get at the border. Sometimes they are cool, sometimes not.

Should wait until we hear both sides of the story. She says it's all peachy rosy and she just wanted to cross the border to cheer her son up, maybe her lock screen photo was some infidels drowning in cages.

The article states they tried to get the us border police's side of the story and they refused to give it.

ficial website of the Department of Homeland Security

ficial website of the Department of Homeland Security

CBP Search Authority

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer's border search authority is derived from federal statutes and regulations, including 19 C.F.R. 162.6, which states that, "All persons, baggage and merchandise arriving in the Customs territory of the United States from places outside thereof are liable to inspection by a CBP officer." Unless exempt by diplomatic status, all persons entering the United States, including U.S. citizens, are subject to examination and search by CBP officers.

It is not the intent of CBP to subject travelers to unwarranted scrutiny. Let me assure you that CBP inspection procedures are designed to facilitate the entry of U.S. citizens and aliens who can readily establish their admissibility. CBP officers must determine the nationality of each applicant for admission and, if determined to be an alien, whether or not the applicant meets the requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act for admission to the United States. CBP officers may, unfortunately, inconvenience law-abiding citizens in order to detect those involved in illicit activities. We are especially aware of how inconvenient and stressful the inspection process may be to those selected for inspection. In such cases we rely heavily on the patience, understanding, and cooperation of the traveler.

Speaking with travelers and closely examining their documentation are some of the ways we look for mala fide or improperly documented travelers. We rely upon the judgment of our individual CBP officers to use their discretion as to the extent of examination necessary. However, CBP officers are expected to conduct their duties in a professional manner and to treat each traveler with dignity and respect.

CBP Officers use diverse factors to refer individuals for targeted examinations and there are instances when our best judgements prove to be unfounded. Although CBP does use information from various systems and specific techniques for selecting passengers for targeted examinations, a component of our risk management practices is the use of a completely random referral for a percentage of travelers.

Many travelers wonder if CBP is alerted when an inbound passenger has a warrant for their arrest issued. Yes, CBP is alerted. In the air passenger environment, air carriers transmit passenger information to CBP through the Advance Passenger Information System (APIS). CBP officers also rely on the Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) to determine which individuals to target for secondary examination upon arrival in the United States.

CBP, along with law enforcement and regulatory personnel from 20 other Federal agencies or bureaus, use IBIS. Some of these agencies are the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Interpol, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives, the Internal Revenue Service, the Coast Guard, the Federal Aviation Administration, Secret Service, and the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service. Information from IBIS is also shared with the Department of State for use by Consular Officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

IBIS assists the majority of the traveling public with expeditious clearance at ports of entry while allowing the border enforcement agencies to focus their limited resources on potential non-compliant travelers. IBIS provides the law enforcement community with access to computer-based enforcement files of common interest. It also provides access to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and allows its users to interface with all 50 states via the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems.

IBIS resides on the TECS at the CBP Data Center. Field level access is provided by an IBIS network with more than 24,000 computer terminals. These terminals are located at air, land, and sea ports of entry.

IBIS keeps track of information on suspected individuals, businesses, vehicles, aircraft, and vessels. IBIS terminals can also be used to access NCIC records on wanted persons, stolen vehicles, vessels or firearms, license information, criminal histories, and previous Federal inspections. The information is used to assist law enforcement and regulatory personnel.

CBP has the authority to collect passenger name record information on all travelers entering or leaving the United States. This information is strictly used for preventing and combating terrorism and serious criminal offenses with the principal purpose of facilitating the CBP mission to protect our Nation's borders through threat analysis to identify and interdict persons who have already committed or may potentially commit a terrorist act in the future.

Should CBP determine that an error exists within our system of records, corrective measures will be taken.

Last published:

August 17, 2016

Tags:

How else to you differentiate between a Muslim, and a "Muslim" terrorist?

The woman, her son, did I catch that her parents are in Chicago? I'd admit them no problem.

But -who- was the adult cousin? that is concerning. The idea that she was crossing the border

WITH A .."COUSIN" adult... to Vermont... to "buy him a toy"....

sounds like a setup. Let the possible terrorist "cousin" in, because of the sad story about her

son with cancer, which is tragic. They don't have toys in Canada?

Sounds like a setup. Is the adult "cousin" a young male? Is he really a cousin?

Nope. I'd let the Mother and son through..... but not the "cousin". doesn't sound right,

with video prayers on the phone......just because you're Muslim doesn't mean

you are always a victim.

If it was a Christian, with a lot of prayer videos on his phone, I wouldn't let him in, either.

I'd figure he was a nut up to something.

Some over zealous border security not quite following the law. Same category as the homeschooling thing the other day.

Idk Chris. When one public school teacher does something dumb it means the entire public school system is full of liberals trying to indoctrinate our kids

I will reserve immediate comment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/canadian-woman-turned-away-from-u-s-border-after-questions-about-religion-trump-1.3972019

TLDR: Canadian Muslim woman wants to take son with cancer on a trip USA to cheer him up. Border police question her extensively about her religious beliefs and practices. Go through her phone which has religious prayers on it. Question her about her opinion on Donald Trump and his immigration ban. She is denied entry.

Some over zealous border security not quite following the law. Same category as the homeschooling thing the other day.

Did anything illegal happen here? Constitutional protections do not extend to non-citizens.

I could pass for someone being of Middle Eastern descent. As such, I've experienced plenty of "random" screenings at airports and crossing the US/Canada border. If they wanted to deny me entry into Canada, they're well within their rights to do so. I could cry bullshit all I like, but it still would be legal. That being said, something about this story does seem off, and the question that immediately popped into my mind is if she was doing it for publicity.

Archived