THE BROWNS BOARD

Did Mangini turn down Crennel?

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Maybe someone reported this before, but I don't think we've heard Romeo say it happened:

Crennel's decision to sit out isn't due to a lack of interest from teams. He surely would have been a coup for a team such as Kansas City, with former Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli in his first year there as general manager and Todd Haley taking over as head coach. Denver, where former Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is in his first year as coach, would have been another natural option.

But health, primarily, dictated Crennel's course of action. He had hip replacement surgery in February - a month after he was fired as head coach in Cleveland - and decided that he'd focus solely on rehab. That meant that the only coaching opportunity he'd seriously consider was returning to the Browns in a different role.

"I felt like if I was able to stay in Cleveland, it wouldn't have been a major transition, because you kind of know what's going on and the guys you're working with know what to expect, but it didn't work out that way," said Crennel, who guided the Browns for four seasons.

"When I didn't have the job in Cleveland, I felt like I'd put more of an emphasis on getting myself healthy, so when I came back, I'd be able to put all the energy into football and not have to worry about the hip. Next year we'll see what's available and make some decisions from there."

It's not often that a head coach is willing to remain with the team that fired him, but Crennel was prepared to do so because of his feelings for Browns owner Randy Lerner.

"I like him personally," he said.

I would not have wanted RAC 'n ROLLS back here in any shape or form. I hated his defensive style but most importantly I am not sure he could put the time in that Mangie demands. RAC is getting old, and it's not like he had a lot of fire to begin with.

Guest Aloysius

Pretty much agree, though I wonder if he could've served as a sounding board or simply another set of eyes looking at film. Not sure he'd be interested in that anyway.

What's interesting is that Crennel is telling a reporter that he wanted to stick around but wasn't allowed to. I get that he wants to send out the message that he isn't retired, but it would have been easier to say, "This year, I'm focusing on my hip," not, "Because of the hip, I'd only be interested in coaching this year for Cleveland. But it didn't happen...and I'm not going to tell you why."

As much as I liked RAC as a person, his players walked all over him like he was running Club Med.

There was a glorious lack of focus with him in charge, his players took advantage of him then threw him under the bug.

I'll give the guy credit, he never threw Phil under the bus for bringing in the wrong type of guys and the way he stuck with players was admirable (loyalty is a hard thing in today's NFL).

I'm afraid if Romeo stuck around, he's always be encouraging EM to "lighten up" and right now we need someone to provide focus for the less mentally disciplined guys on the team. Romeo just doesn't fit that bill and I'm afraid, at this point in time, his presence would be more damaging than helpful.

Well, I had a hip replacement and it takes a couple months to get back on your feet, but RAC is a little older and fatter so it may have taken him longer. He is a big, thick guy so it makes it that much harder to recover given the muscle that has to be cut through.

I just can't see the guy being overly exuberant about anything anymore to be honest and why would we want to keep him around some of the players he just got done spoiling?

Good man and not a bad football guy, but no thanks. I want young blood that's going to go the extra mile, and he isn't close to that.

RAC is that guy you would like to go watch a fight or a game with. His tenure as HC or any other roll has passed by. The invitation was sent out after Mangini was named HC, to bad he sat around in self pitty.

But he is getting a nice check so I really dont feel sorry for him. I hope he can buy the whole bakery now instead of 3 or 4 bakers dozens of donuts.

Guest mz.

I cannot blame Mangini for not wanting RAC around, and I doubt it has anything to do with Mangini's feelings regarding RAC as a person. I just think it would be difficult to instill his own values/system/whatever into the org with the old regime's leader hanging around...

No more phats please... i have had enough of him to last a lifetime even the thought of rac being a part of the browns in any way makes my gut quiver...rac needs to retire and just stay out of the game and enjoy life...when you suck that bad as a HC he has no right to even consider returning to a club who's fans dislike him as a so called football guy..

This doesn't shock me at all. What would have is if Romeo had stayed in some capacity.

Sticking around as the grand old man of the organization is usually reserved for guys who are headed to the HOF, not some guy who's teams lost way more than they won.

Archived