THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive Line Solutions Already Here?

Flugel

It's no secret that the influx of injuries to our offensive line, kept our offensive line from finding enough time to gel for any degree of consistency. On top of that, watching QBs lack trust in 1st year starters at WR only added to the amount of time they held onto the ball (which often gave too much credit to the line for giving up sacks). The vet QBs seemed to hold onto the ball just as long as Kessler who got into the bad habit of checking down prematurely (partly due to a lack of trust in the inexperienced WRs adjusting correctly).

Having said all that, when both our OGs were healthy - there was a 3-4 week period when Crow averaged about 6.4 yards a carry. That wasn't by accident. We have a foundation if we can keep injury volumes from getting absurd. I know some fans like to conveniently forget what they thought of Mitchell Schwartz's pass pro before PFF crowned him the Gran Poo Bah of RTs. Meanwhile, before the ZBS was brought here - our situation at both OG spots meant we could rarely run inside of tackle/next to center. This almost completely nullified our 3 best run blockers (Mack, Schwartz, Thomas). The arrival of Bitonio and getting Greco to his best niche at RG changed everything for the better as we witnessed in 2014. It only made sense that the loss of them in 2016 brought us right back to very limited places we could run the ball with any consistency. This was reflected in the drop in Crow's yards per carry going down from 6.4 to 4.8. Today, both our OGs are coming off foot injuries that are very tough to overcome

Today, there's some young linemen returning that may be ready to be productive and solidify some missing chemistry up front. I have to admit I'm kind of excited to see what some of the following guys are ready to contribute in 2017 such as:

1) RT Shon Coleman. I'm glad the staff understood the injury he needed to overcome and didn't race him into the mix too early. If he's the answer at RT - I was already very pleasantly surprised with Austin Pasztor's to be productive at OG so I'm pretty sure he'd return to his best niche here if Greco is done. That's 2 potential solutions.

2) C Austin Reiter. We had a good day moving the ball on Miami in an OT game our newly signed kicker missed 3 FGs. The upgrade at Center that day was impossible not to notice.He played with much better leverage and consistency than Erving had been capable of. For the length of time he had been here - he also seemed to grasp what the opponent was doing better as well as what his responsibility was in reaction to it. Before we could celebrate what looked to be the upgrade we needed - he got injured late in the 2nd half of the Miami game. Nothing says Welcome to Cleveland quite like that - just ask LeCharles Bentley.

3) C/OL Anthony Fabiano. He had a nice game against Pittsburgh when we ran the ball almost at will against them. I'm sure part of that was due to how little that game mattered/meant but some of it was due to an effort to appreciate from our guys upfront and inside. He's from Harvard and he played hard and smart enough to appreciate. He's good insurance in case Bitonio hasn't recovered.

4) OL Spencer Drango. He often played OT/TE when we went with unbalanced lines.That said, he also got experience at other positions on the oline. I think this young man will continue to get better. And don't forget, when we finally found the perfect niche for Greco in 2014 - he finally played like the keeper we hoped he'd be following the trade we made with St Louis. Again, if Bitonio can't answer the bell - he could work.

Understanding we need more play makers on offense and defense, I think a lack of experience is our biggest issue facing the offensive line which can be resolved unless the injury volume gets ridiculous. The good part of that is it means we don't have to draft offensive line in the earlier rounds especially when there may be veteran FAs worthy of helping us up front as well.

I'd be interested in hearing what offensive linemen some of you guys might be interested in drafting somewhere between rounds 4 and 7. Also, Tour does a terrific job of researching and sharing his insights about offensive line prospects. From that, I get the sense these might be the rounds where we find the best help for our money on the line this year...

Pretty well have echoed your take, Flugs.

Surprisingly Greco has made noise about being ready to go in TC. While that may simply be the wishful thinking of a player, if it comes to pass, then at a minimum we have unexpected interior depth.

Then we have Paz leading a group with RT, swingman potential that includes Drango and, if pressed, Greco.

Agree that adding a prospect in the draft would be wise. Who and where depends upon who else at what positions falls how far. But at #53, should he last so long, I have to start thinking about Dawkins. There he'd be not just high-value, but the kind of affordable quality that would be hard to pass up. He'd add depth by pushing an otherwise starter into a backup role, AKA a quality problem, the likes of which we have not seen in many years. A problem we hope surfaces everywhere, but the OL looks to be best position for it to emerge first.

While at a glance that would seem to be a "luxury" pick, we only have to look at the past couple seasons' injury history and mention two names, Joe and Cam, to see how it might not be so luxurious.

If Cam cannot at least compete for a starting spot...

If Joe's remarkable run of health ends...

... then luxury starts looking more like necessity pretty damn fast.

I honestly at this point do not know who we'd tab to step in at LT, if needed. Hopefully Shon could, possibly Paz could, or maybe, as I once thought, Bito still can. Given the differing uncertainties around each of these names, adding one more option would not hurt.

Still, as you point out, there's always the possibility of finding a Day 3 prospect. There are always a couple that can help meaningfully deepen an OL Corps while developing, but one you can pencil in as a Year One starter? We shall see...

Pretty well have echoed your take, Flugs.

Surprisingly Greco has made noise about being ready to go in TC. While that may simply be the wishful thinking of a player, if it comes to pass, then at a minimum we have unexpected interior depth.

Then we have Paz leading a group with RT, swingman potential that includes Drango and, if pressed, Greco.

Agree that adding a prospect in the draft would be wise. Who and where depends upon who else at what positions falls how far. But at #53, should he last so long, I have to start thinking about Dawkins. There he'd be not just high-value, but the kind of affordable quality that would be hard to pass up. He'd add depth by pushing an otherwise starter into a backup role, AKA a quality problem, the likes of which we have not seen in many years. A problem we hope surfaces everywhere, but the OL looks to be best position for it to emerge first.

While at a glance that would seem to be a "luxury" pick, we only have to look at the past couple seasons' injury history and mention two names, Joe and Cam, to see how it might not be so luxurious.

If Cam cannot at least compete for a starting spot...

If Joe's remarkable run of health ends...

... then luxury starts looking more like necessity pretty damn fast.

I honestly at this point do not know who we'd tab to step in at LT, if needed. Hopefully Shon could, possibly Paz could, or maybe, as I once thought, Bito still can. Given the differing uncertainties around each of these names, adding one more option would not hurt.

Still, as you point out, there's always the possibility of finding a Day 3 prospect. There are always a couple that can help meaningfully deepen an OL Corps while developing, but one you can pencil in as a Year One starter? We shall see...

Interesting! Thanks Tour.

If we ever lost Joe Thomas at LT for any length of time I wonder if Spencer Drango could step up so we could keep Coleman and Paz more in their comfort zones. Drango was a LT in a pass happy offense at Baylor. Unfortunately that conference plays as much defense as offensive prospects face at the Indy Combines to give us any kind of measuring stick on what it all means to what he projects as a bookend of a blind side pass pro. That said, he might find lighter guys outside are easier to run block against than the more compact 340 lb powerhouse tackles. We shall see.

I like these kind of posts. I too think we have the answers on the roster already, but definitely draft at least one OL in the mid rounds. Bolster the depth for sure, but look to prioritize TD makers first.

I've been defending the Shon Coleman pick to my fellow fans, thinking he is the answer at RT. A bunch of folks think it was a dumb pick, because he barely saw the field in '16.

Cam Erving was the puzzle to me. Why Hue kept putting him out there was the greatest mystery of the season. Clearly, he is not an NFL caliber center.

I would like to see this kid fall to the fourth or fifth round.....

Will Holden, OT, Vanderbilt
Height: 6-7. Weight: 312.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2017): 4-6.

2/11/17: Holden had a good week of practice at the East-West Shrine and did pretty well in the pass-rushing one-on-ones. That earned him a late-injury addition to the Senior Bowl. For the NFL, Holden would fit best as a right tackle competitor even though he played left tackle for Vanderbilt. Holden made 37 straight starts to conclude his collegiate career.

I like these kind of posts. I too think we have the answers on the roster already, but definitely draft at least one OL in the mid rounds. Bolster the depth for sure, but look to prioritize TD makers first.

I've been defending the Shon Coleman pick to my fellow fans, thinking he is the answer at RT. A bunch of folks think it was a dumb pick, because he barely saw the field in '16.

Cam Erving was the puzzle to me. Why Hue kept putting him out there was the greatest mystery of the season. Clearly, he is not an NFL caliber center.

Erving is a puzzle. His continued starting had to be more than his draft status since neither this staff or FO is "invested" in him. Injuries around him certainly played a role, but I think he may be a "practice player"... one who simply sounds good in the film room and looks the part in walk-throughs, but just can't consistently replicate those showings in games.

As for Shon... we should know if we were right about him by the end of TC. I like our odds...

We need to find joes replacement "now"

Your use of quotes is confusing me... emphasis or facetiousness?

While it may certainly be possible that there will be help/improvement on our OL from within the current roster....I personally still think that additional talent should be added.

That could be through the FA market or the draft. Actually the FA market may be even preferable, because there you can target someone that you know has NFL experience and NFL competence, if you get the right guy. And yes, it would have to be a young veteran, not someone too long in the tooth.

I know there are a few guys out there (Zeitler...and who else?)

With our 4 picks in rounds 1 and 2, I would also not be surprised to see one of them used on OL.

Archived