THE BROWNS BOARD

College Student Suspended for Recording Lecturer’s Anti-Trump Rant

OldBrownsFan

One California college student will have time to pursue other interests this spring as he was suspended for a semester after recording and posting on Facebook a bigoted anti-Trump rant.

Student Caleb O’Neil, who supported Donald Trump during the election, has indicated that he feared retaliation from his instructor, Orange Coast College Professor Olga Perez Stable Cox, as she launched into an extended anti-Trump rant during class. O’Neil became concerned when Cox stated that she would “no longer tolerate any person who voted for Trump.”

The diatribe was not only anti-Trump, but anti-conservative as she can be heard in the video calling Vice President Mike Pence “one of the most anti-gay humans in this country.”

According to the letter O’Neil received from Orange Coast College regarding the incident, he is being reprimanded for recording the professor which was not allowed according to the class syllabus and the college’s Student Code of Conduct.

The state of California is also one of the few “dual consent” states requiring the consent of both parties to being recorded for it to be legal, unless in public.

The rules O’Neil has been cited for disobeying is laughable in today’s smartphone age.

43. Unauthorized Tape Recording. Tape recording any person on District property or at any District function, including but not limited to, classes, lectures, labs, and field trips.

46. Unauthorized Use of Electronic Devices. Unauthorized use of electronic devices on District property or at any District function, including but not limited to, classes, lectures, labs, and field trips.

This isn’t 1986, or even 1996 for that matter. The president emeritus of the College Republicans group, Joshua Recalde-Martinez, stated the obvious issue in the late date of 2017:

“Even I myself could pretty easily violate the electronic device recording statute. Anyone who uses their phone in class is automatically violating that portion of the student code of conduct,” Recalde-Martinez argued.

As I doubt students are having their phones slapped out of their hands regularly by college staff, it seems clear that the school’s issue with the recording wasn’t that O’Neil had his phone out but that he had the audacity and forethought to recognize an unhinged professor and obtain proof of what was happening in her classroom.

Following the incident, the professor’s union threatened to sue O’Neil and he’s relied on a law group, FreedomX, to navigate the issue and the support of the college’s Republican student group.

O’Neil has until today to comply with the requirements set out in the disciplinary notice, which includes a 3-page mea culpa he must write and submit, or face expulsion.

http://www.redstate.com/prevaila/2017/02/16/college-student-suspended-recording-lecturers-anti-trump-rant/

the left has been accruing the power to bash America and defend

marxism/communism for years. On May 4, 1970, I was in sociology class

at Kent state, with my best friend, (visiting because I worked for a yr to pay off

my beautiful Chevy Belaire...)...

and the prof did exactly that. In the heart of every hardcore, sold-out activist liberal,

is this traitor who wants control over everything. It's pretty much a reason why

many have dubbed it a mental disorder, but this one seems socially driven.

"America terrible, burn our Flag, Cloward-Piven, blah blah blah)...

Now, it is all coming to fruition that they are so many, and so tied together by

tech, because they finally had their supreme America-bashing get to the presidency,

and he put corrupt followers into every aspect of our gov.

They all need to be fired. and no more gov unions.

I am reading about the student getting punished for bringing to light the comments from the professor who says some really bad things here such as saying she would no longer tolerate any person who voted for Trump. Excuse me professor you have no business getting involved in how anyone else voted in the country. That is none of your business. Also nothing about punishing the professor for abusing her authority in the classroom. No the message the college wants to get out is toe the liberal line or face the consequences including the student being threatened with a lawsuit by the teachers union.

While the student must write a 3 page apology and has a suspension for a semester there is no such punishment for a professor who is clearly out of bounds in the classroom.

back in the old days, the marxist America-hating "profs" just gave conservative

students poor grades despite having no legit justification for it.

Now, it is double/tripled down anything? goes.

back in the old days, the marxist America-hating "profs" just gave conservative

students poor grades despite having no legit justification for it.

Now, it is double/tripled down anything? goes.

That's the bad news. The good news is that many of these liberally indoctrinated students will eventually get out in the real world and see some of the nonsense they were taught at school for what it is. Having kids, a mortgage payment and other bills and getting out from mom and dad and having to be responsible for oneself has a tendency to change some liberal thinking.

Many times a conservative is a liberal who got mugged. ;)

So am i reading right that it was school policy to not allow any recording of class lecturs? And that state polucy is dual consent? So in essence he willfully broke the rules. If the school handled similiar cases in the past differently and only now suspends someone for a full semester, than its bullshit. But otherwise, rules are rules and i find it yet again incredulous that you law and order sticklers can turn it on and off at will. Like...

"Well if he hadnt jaywalked he wouldnt have gotten shot, rules are there for a reason". Lols

Man, so many generalizations in that post it's hard to keep up.

Not really Woody. You know that there is truth to the generalizations. Many people start out as liberals and later become conservatives.

Why do we generally as citizens become more right wing as we grow older?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-generally-as-citizens-become-more-right-wing-as-we-grow-older

Not really Woody. You know that there is truth to the generalizations. Many people start out as liberals and later become conservatives.

Why do we generally as citizens become more right wing as we grow older?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-generally-as-citizens-become-more-right-wing-as-we-grow-older

Oh there are?

I'm sorry you were deprived of scientific and rational thought from you Christian upbringing. It probably led to your slight racist, sexist and homophobic believes that all conservatives share. A lack of education probably added to those beliefs as well

So am i reading right that it was school policy to not allow any recording of class lecturs? And that state polucy is dual consent? So in essence he willfully broke the rules. If the school handled similiar cases in the past differently and only now suspends someone for a full semester, than its bullshit. But otherwise, rules are rules and i find it yet again incredulous that you law and order sticklers can turn it on and off at will. Like...

"Well if he hadnt jaywalked he wouldnt have gotten shot, rules are there for a reason". Lols

But what about the professor escaping any punishment as she clearly is abusing her authority in the classroom?

FYI, you basically posted a link from Yahoo answers. And that link basically says what I've been saying on here. On the social side, people don't become more conservative, their ideas do. Most people my age have 0 issue with gay marriage. Do you think we're going to get older and change our mind?

Oh there are?

I'm sorry you were deprived of scientific and rational thought from you Christian upbringing. It probably led to your slight racist, sexist and homophobic believes that all conservatives share. A lack of education probably added to those beliefs as well

And that might be true even in many cases. As for me personally what you call homophobic is called a sinful lifestyle in the bible so in that instance I would plead guilty to not having an open mind on this:

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (NIV, 1st Corinthians 6:9-11)

On being racist not a chance, not even slightly. The bible is clear that God is no respecter of persons and neither am I:

Romans 2:11 For God is no respecter of persons

Acts 10:34:Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Sexist I don't think so.

Galatians 3:28New International Version (NIV)

28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

And that might be true even in many cases. As for me personally what you call homophobic is called a sinful lifestyle in the bible so in that instance I would plead guilty to not having an open mind on this:

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (NIV, 1st Corinthians 6:9-11)

On being racist not a chance, not even slightly. The bible is clear that God is no respecter of persons and neither am I:

Romans 2:11 For God is no respecter of persons

Acts 10:34:Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Sexist I don't think so.

Galatians 3:28New International Version (NIV)

28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Female prostitutes are cool tho?

Female prostitutes are cool tho?

And a whole bunch of other shit that gets swept under the rug.

OBF - could we just replace you with a bible then if your opinions match it exclusively? Is there anywhere you disagree? In anticipation of an answer like "the bible is always right, if I disagree it is I who is wrong" or something equally woolly, are there things you find difficult to reconcile or accept

I would recommend The Whistleblower defense and see the fuckers.

WSS

On top of that I don't have much doubt that the rules against recording lectures are for copyright infringement intellectual property of the school. I think when the professor goes off on a rant he is overstepped that responsibility and a good attorney should be able to get a handle on that.

WSS

I would expect the professor won't be professing for much longer.

Au contraire mon frere, who is the professor that was preaching from his pulpit that the 9/11 Massacre was warranted and those people deserved to die. Ward something or other. His college refused to shitcan him and his rant was a lot worse that your usual I hate Trump crap.

WSS

Au contraire mon frere, who is the professor that was preaching from his pulpit that the 9/11 Massacre was warranted and those people deserved to die. Ward something or other. His college refused to shitcan him and his rant was a lot worse that your usual I hate Trump crap.

WSS

This guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Churchill#9.2F11_essay_controversy

He is saying that US foreign policy provoked the attacks, no? Which I think plenty of people agree with and it's generally accepted now that that's one of the reasons.

This guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Churchill#9.2F11_essay_controversy

He is saying that US foreign policy provoked the attacks, no? Which I think plenty of people agree with and it's generally accepted now that that's one of the reasons.

No actually nothing like that guy.

Some case similar to the Erin Brockovich movie.

WSS

No actually nothing like that guy.

Some case similar to the Erin Brockovich movie.

WSS

OK well that's the only college professor called 'Ward something' I could find with 9/11 controversies in the bio, so unless you can find the one you're thinking of I'll have to pass.

Archived