THE BROWNS BOARD

No love for the Cleveland Browns

Gips

No love for the Cleveland Browns: Dayton Daily News reporter Chick Ludwig predicts that the Browns will finish 6-10 this coming season and that offensive lineman Eric Steinbach's time with the Browns is about to end. Ludwig also wrote:

As for the team itself, it has three things going against them.

An owner that has no idea about what he's doing.

An arrogant, egotistical head coach who wiped out the club's entire public relations staff, then proceeded to conduct a poor draft.

A quarterback controversy featuring two sub-par signal callers in Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn, neither of whom are capable of leading the Browns to the playoffs.

The Browns should have drafted Mark Sanchez and gotten rid of Anderson & Quinn.

I think randy is learning..

I like mangini

They fixed a bunch of leaks by canning all the PR people that never really did PR to begin with..

Im quite content to believe BQ may be the answer for us...sanchez is still aquestion mark too..

6-10 doesnt sound out of the question but im thinking we will be better than people think...;)

No love for the Cleveland Browns: Dayton Daily News reporter Chick Ludwig predicts that the Browns will finish 6-10 this coming season and that offensive lineman Eric Steinbach's time with the Browns is about to end. Ludwig also wrote:

An arrogant, egotistical head coach who wiped out the club's entire public relations staff, then proceeded to conduct a poor draft.

Translation:

He ticked us off by canning our information leak then didn't take any of the flashy impact players that we wanted to see come here.

A poor draft was my first thought since we've had so many gaping holes in the defense so long and it didn't look like we did enough to fix them.

It occurred to me the 2 wideouts remedied the WR situation that was pretty dire. We needed a center. We took who was probably the smartest and most versatile lb in the draft (the reason I preferred C3 over Rey or Cushings out of the USC bunch). We got what many people last year projected as a 2nd round rb at the end of the draft.

You can't fix everything at once and at least on paper we've fixed a lot with the few picks we originally had.

And let's not forget that swap with the Jets brought potential starters at dline and safety.

Again, really damn good for the cupboard is bear.

I don't know what the system, offensive or defensive, is going to be yet and don't know how many guys we have that fit those systems.

NOT knowing those things makes it extremely difficult to predict anything other than year one of rebuilding we're probably not going to have a winning record.

6-10 does sound reasonable given current circumstances.

What a fool.

This is May! We are usually 12-4 or 14-2 in May. It's not until December that we are 6-10.

The owner doesn't know what he is doing? When Randy returns from London in September, he will prove him wrong.

Mangini poor draft? We are Cleveland fans. All our players are GREAT until until they play. Same with coaches. Great until they prove us wrong.

Quinn and Anderson sub par? I think their stat's speak for themselves!!!!

Making any prediction about a team with numerous holes being led by a new head coach is ridiculous. As stated above, you have no idea what type of offense or defense will be run or what it will ask the players in it to do. The fact is that the Browns have a new coach and GM because the organization did so poorly last year. So, saying that the odds are against them are stacked is like going out on a limb and saying that Roseanne Barr is fat.

I think he's right about Sanchez though....as long as Mark Sanchez can play CB, safety, OLB, DE, X or Z receiver and running back. Wait til the NY media and fans see Sanchez in pads throwing those less-than-tight spirals in the winds of the Meadowlands and making poor decisions all the way.

While anyone is entitled to not like the process by which Kokinis and Mangini approached the draft, I think that calling it a disaster or even a poor draft is uncalled for. They addressed a lot of areas after having been handed a limited number of picks. No one can turn over a bad roster as fast as these guys have.

This guy needs to shut up before he proves how little he really knows.

The only thing I want to say about this clown is that nobody gave Miami and Atlanta any respect last year. But, this is a league where you have to go out on the field and earn respect and this team underachieved last year (as did his Bungles).

New coaches, new systems and new players could equate into a new attitude and more "WINS".

Inspecta, You are correct. I just have this view of most the the Browns fans as looking stupid when we:

* continually talk about our great drafts (and in reality you can't evaluate a draft for at least 3 years),

* put faith in new coaches and shout about how we like what they can do (prior to ever winning on a regular, YEARLY basis)

* talk about really, unsuccessful/unproductive/unproven players like they are hall of fame material (Winslow, Quinn, etc)

In the meantime, reality is we have an out of town owner, that has a passing interest in American football (they are not a football family), have not won a championship since the early 1960's, our team left and went to Baltimore, the continuity was broken then, we haven't been able to win in 10 years, and our players in key positions are unproven.

That is reality.

Guest mz.

'spec, you can call the reason folks post here even though they think the Browns are going nowhere The Ghoolie/rich Parable. Sometimes people either find comfort in being the "I told ya so!" of the group, or actually find strange comfort in losing/misery as it can create this weird subconscious bond. Like being victims of a bank robbery, or being on Lost.

I think The Soldier is correct. But he merely says all of the things we're thinking but wish weren't at least partially true.

Soldier boy has been making the same post for two years. I have never seen him ever comment on anything football related, just little potshots at us stupid fans and gross exagerrations of our supposed predictions and optimism.

I used to think he was a Puker cuz the name choice is stupid to begin with if you're a real fan, but now I just believe he is a very depressed individual who thrives in the "I told you so" vibe and being miserable.

As for the team itself, it has three things going against them.

An owner that has no idea about what he's doing.

>> To win games we need the coach and the players to know what they are doing.

>> you dont win games by having sweet PR staff. The results of a test (draft) will only be known after conducting the experiment ( a full season atleast)

A quarterback controversy featuring two sub-par signal callers in Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn, neither of whom are capable of leading the Browns to the playoffs.

The Browns should have drafted Mark Sanchez and gotten rid of Anderson & Quinn.

>> Mark Sanchez is still an unknown. BQ or DA would have been traded had the right offer come along.

Am i qualified to have my own column in that news paper ? I think Im capable of making a lot more points.

Everyone has valid points. I agree. (except the name calling)

I am always optimistic/hopefull about the Browns. however,

I just live in the present time, and don't give prop's until they are due. And, I will give props to those who deserve them even if I wish they didn't do so well (Pitt/N.E.)

I do know that Joe Thomas is doing very well.

I know that Josh Cribbs is among the best kick/punt returners in the league.

I know Shaun Rogers is a great lineman for the 3-4. One of the top in the league.

I won't say that Eric Mangini is a good head coach just yet.

I won't say that Quinn is a Pro-bowl level QB yet.

I won't say that Braylon is a top level reciever, or a complete bust, just yet.

I like to deal with what's real. Others like to talk about what they would like to be real.

Probably irritating has heck, but we all have our own way.

Cavs are up 1 to nothing. I think they dominated and will beat Atlanta. When they do, I'll say the Cavs are one step closer, not until then.

Go Cavs!

But wait, that's not living in the present time. You're making a prediction there.

Just because you don't want to go on record making any prediction about how you think this new regime is doing, doesn't make you any better than anyone who thinks things are going well.

It's all predictions. I'm man enough to admit I was totally wrong about Savage. And It's quite possible I'll be wrong again.

Almost!

However, I have seen the Cavs play over the course of the season. I have seen them win over the past several years. I can see their success.

I said they dominated. They did.

Based on having the best record in the NBA, and having the league MVP, is why I think they will win. Based on facts.

What are you basing your opinions on? Mangini? Learner? Quinn? Rookies? The Browns succesful upcoming season?

Sorry, but I won't say we've improved until we at least play a game.

And to Cleveland Sound. We don't have to wait until December 2009 to see how meaningful predictions are.

We can look at April, May, July, August of 2008 to see how valid they were.

I am not saying the Browns will not do well. Really hope they do, and they might. Hope you're all correct in your predictions.

Point well taken.

Looking back, I do mock. It just comes out that way. I'll try not to anymore.

Don't mean to sound condesending and I know that I don't know what will happen, so I don't think I know more than anyone else.

Hows this: Browns 10-6 , Lewis come back player of the year. huh?

Go Cavs!

Save these articles for December 2009. PLEASE.

I agree...december 2009 will prove this xxxx is an idiot thats trapped in yesteryears mistakes..thats all im going to say is last year by 3 games in 90% of us thought the browns had the talent but lacked coaching/direction not to mention a rigged qb situation many of us didnt like....but before the horror of the season began nobody took into effect that the browns had absolutely no coaching to begin with including the so called pro's...its something we sometimes take for granted because the braintrust is always grinding the guys and spewing hellfire on gaining victory and discipline at any cost... right?

Romeo/savage should have taught us all a lesson about assuming the braintrust is sound and active and always pursuing the teams best interests on the field and off..especially randy lerner who lerned a hard bitter lesson and unlike his father obviously took it personally and brought in mankok in a way i loved to see.. coach first!

Aterall its the coaches ass in a sling from the getgo so let the man have fairly big say in whom he fields...period.

Enter the draft everyone wanted clay clay and or rey rey gimme gimme gimme big names..none of us know what to expect under a newly formed mankok regime...while im not against big names at all and assumed mankok would wrongfully go defensive i called for WRs and a C in my signature at the time some may recall realizing we have plenty of talent on defense and yes even an insane pass rush under a valid coach ,proper training by assistants and a smart scheme and obviously mangini did his homework and figures the same to add joy to happy mankok has since even greatly improved on our qb rushing ability but some cant see that just yet but they will come live season..

To sum this rant/rave up i will say in short...mankok made the right choices of draft under the circumstances and is improving this club by the minute i am more hopeful now then i have ever been for the browns chances of taking it to the afc north under this regime...i believe randy brought us the right guys to build a permenant foundation this club has lacked since 1996...for once in a blue moon im pumped for the upcoming season!

Listen, anybody with a football mind can look at the moves this organization has made and say "they look pretty good"

We upgraded our center. Fraley was getting tossed around like a rag doll against the top tier competition last year.

We needed help at WR, and while Massaquo (sp?) might be a big ? I think we can all agree that Robo is the most polished receiver in the draft and should help us immediatly.

Could we all be wrong? Sure we can, and I don't think anybody has popped the cork on the champagne yet, but I think the general feel of the direction we are moving towards is a good thing. Time will ultimately tell if that's the case.

Respectfully... what is different about your thinking May 09 opposed to May 08, opposed May 07. opposed to May 06?

From what I read over those years, everyone had this same thought, just different player names.

I'm not being negative, just wondering if you felt this way in previous years. It seems like most here did.

Archived