THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Let Joe Thomas Start the Combine Thread

TexasAg1969

I havent found the 2016 numbers yet but considering his above average missed tackle percentage last year alone, I think the phrase 'box safety' for Peppers should be concerning as well.

P.S. - Tebow loved football as well.

So did Otto Graham who took Cleveland to 10 consecutive Pro Football Championships in his first 10 years. But staying in the context of the conversation, Gilbert and Manziel did not love football when we drafted them instead of Khalil Mack and Derek Carr who prioritized it.

Peppers has to have some good qualities to be getting the attention and praise I've seen about him. A lot of people that watch Michigan every week swear he's something special they haven't seen in quite a while. You do a nice job in here with your analyses of some of the prospects but it's also possible the OSU-Michigan rivalry has you going out of your way a little bit extra with some bias against him. I could be wrong on that though since others don't buy into him either.

FWIW - here's what Lindy's Sports Pro Football Draft 2017 has to say about Peppers on page 80: "Pound for pound, Peppers might just be the best open-field tackler in the country - which is why Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines opted to play him so close to the line of scrimmage."

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow Liufau way slower than i thought he would be

Really surprising results in the 40

Mahomes slower than Trubisky

Watson = Trubisky

Webb > Kizer

Trubisky 4.67(u)

Watson 4.67 (u)

Webb 4.79 (u)

Mahomes 4.80 (u)

Kiser 4.83

How often really is a QB expected to make a 40 yard run? Very rarely.

Only after he throws an int.....and must chase down the defender to stop a Pick 6 from happening?

How often really is a QB expected to make a 40 yard run? Very rarely.

Only after he throws an int.....and must chase down the defender to stop a Pick 6 from happening?

It makes a difference when the protection breaks down and you have to run or get killed by a linebacker.

It makes a difference when the protection breaks down and you have to run or get killed by a linebacker.

But, that is not a 40 yard dash. There are other drills no? Like the cone drill...that may be more indicative of a guys skills on those situations.

Did that drill get done yet by these guys attending the combine?

Obi's stock sure is not dropping at combine..good call by a guy that specializes in OL detail. (i think we call him T)

Haha, my bad. I forgot Aggies need to ride Bamas coattails still. "You're gay"... Genius.

The guy pulled a "do you know who I am" and then threatened to fight a hospital worker. Sounds like an asshole.

Sounds like a guy we need atLB.

Has nothing to do with anyone's coat tails. I'd defend any badass player that was getting raked over the coals or an irrelevant incident like this.

I havent found the 2016 numbers yet but considering his above average missed tackle percentage last year alone, I think the phrase 'box safety' for Peppers should be concerning as well.

P.S. - Tebow loved football too.

You'll call this homerism, but Peppers got himself into position to attempt tackles most defenders couldn't. Even if he didn't bring the ball carrier down, he slowed him up for the rest of the defense. An example of this was on WR screens. He got right by the player that was supposed to block him and brought the ball carrier down most of the time. But sometimes he'd slip through one block, most of another and just couldn't quite get the angle, but then another DB would finish the job.

Sounds like a guy we need atLB.

Has nothing to do with anyone's coat tails. I'd defend any badass player that was getting raked over the coals or an irrelevant incident like this.

There's a difference between playing with an edge and being a douche.

Jalepeno Peppers seems like a fun kid that LOVES football enough to make it infectious with teammates via his team leadership role. He looks like a damn good tackler with healthy shoulders, which can matter over the long haul in space that some people aren't thinking about regarding Hooker. Back in October I was a huge Hooker fan but heading into the NFL with a torn labrum requiring surgical repair gives me the heebeegeebees about him all of a sudden. This kid looks like he can be ideal for the blitz (as depicted on film), special teams and the creative mind of Gregg Williams. He's at least worthy of keeping an open mind about.

It's a shame I need to type a 1st round prospect LOVES football but our last FO drafted the hollow inner chests of Gilbert and Manziel over Khalil Mack and Derek Carr. And here we remain needing those 2 most important roles on a football team...

Amen. He's only helped himself at the combine. Doing two days of drills I believe is being seen as a positive as well.

Plus, NFL Network was the Jabr.ill Peppers show yesterday. I loved it.

Amen. He's only helped himself at the combine. Doing two days of drills I believe is being seen as a positive as well.

It paints me to say anything positive about an ichigan player....but very impressive for him to do drills with both the LB and the DB's on back to back days. Didn't see much of yesterday but he looked pretty good today. Probably a better fit because of his size as a safety but to Flugels point...the guy is a football player.

It paints me to say anything positive about an ichigan player....but very impressive for him to do drills with both the LB and the DB's on back to back days. Didn't see much of yesterday but he looked pretty good today. Probably a better fit because of his size as a safety but to Flugels point...the guy is a football player.

Yes, he is Mark. An unselfish one who played wherever he was most needed for the team.

So did Otto Graham who took Cleveland to 10 consecutive Pro Football Championships in his first 10 years. But staying in the context of the conversation, Gilbert and Manziel did not love football when we drafted them instead of Khalil Mack and Derek Carr who prioritized it.

Peppers has to have some good qualities to be getting the attention and praise I've seen about him. A lot of people that watch Michigan every week swear he's something special they haven't seen in quite a while. You do a nice job in here with your analyses of some of the prospects but it's also possible the OSU-Michigan rivalry has you going out of your way a little bit extra with some bias against him. I could be wrong on that though since others don't buy into him either.

FWIW - here's what Lindy's Sports Pro Football Draft 2017 has to say about Peppers on page 80: "Pound for pound, Peppers might just be the best open-field tackler in the country - which is why Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines opted to play him so close to the line of scrimmage."

UM fans and those outside the program desperately want the nostalgia of Woodson. Compared Peppers year vs Adoree' Jackson, then tell me exactly why Jabrill was receiving such Heisman attention.

It's also funny that you've given me praise

It was awesome coverage about him.

A few players that caught my eye on Sunday...

• Haason Reddick (Temple) - not like he came out of nowhere after his SR. Bowl, but my Lord what an athlete.
  • Trey Hendickson (Florida Atlantic) - every time I looked up the kid was posting a result near the top of the board or flashing in a drill.
  • Bryan Cox, Jr. (Florida) - did not measure all that well, but seemed to nail the field drills. Bloodline is at once intriguing and a bit alarming, but Dad has mellowed into a pretty good position coach.
  • Alex Anzalone (Florida) - shades of Sean Lee... only ability in question is availability.
  • Tyus Bowser (UH) - always need a Cougar on my sleeper list and this one just woke up posting as strong a set of measurables as any LB and looked great in the drills.
  • Anthony Walker, Jr. (NWU) - solidified his position as one of my sleepers. I really liked his tape. Did not stun at the Combine, but measured and moved better than I thought he would.

Just realized that virtually all my "eye-catchers" are LB candidates, so here's a couple shout outs to the D-side's big-uglies...

• Eddie Vanderdoes (UCLA) - reminds me of old fav, Billy Winn... motor to burn, but with a knee question.
  • Ryan Glasgow (UM) - every list needs a kid with a lunch pail... here's a good one. Measured OK-ish, but looked better in drills than expected.
  • Caleb Brantley (Florida) - not a guy on my radar, but the third UF player on my list. Moved easily in drills, but his 1.78 10-yd split caught my attention early.
  • Davin Tomlinson (BAMA) - just as my list needs a lunch-bucket guy every year, so too does it need a "the other guy". Play in a DL with a guy named Allen and all you can be is the other guy. This one looked pretty good moving around at 310 lb.

On Peppers...

Just think it should be noted that his preference was to work out with the DBs today, but the only way he was going to be allowed to do that was if he participated with the LBs yesterday.

All relates back to the fact that he was listed as a LB on UM's roster last season.

UM fans and those outside the program desperately want the nostalgia of Woodson. Compared Peppers year vs Adoree' Jackson, then tell me exactly why Jabrill was receiving such Heisman attention.

Praise? Are you reading? I've given you compliments more in the last year than I ever have so I can't help it if you're suddenly surprised about it. Praise might be a little over-exaggerated. I thought your Adoree Jackson analysis was very good and told you that right? It's still in that thread so check out the date and time.

Anyway, Peppers is a Safety that scored TDs as a return man on Special Teams and when he lined up at RB so I'm not the one you need to picket in protest about the lingering sour grapes you have about his Heisman attention. I can assure you I had zero to do with any of that attention though.

No one that knows what they're talking about is calling Peppers the same as Woodson. Within the program or otherwise.

But he is the first guy since Woodson to impact the game in all three phases, and be dynamic at all of them.

On Peppers...

Just think it should be noted that his preference was to work out with the DBs today, but the only way he was going to be allowed to do that was if he participated with the LBs yesterday.

All relates back to the fact that he was listed as a LB on UM's roster last season.

Correct. The combine told him a week and a half ago he had to work out with the LBs. The only way they'd let him work out with the DBs is if he did both. He had never even practiced the LB drills. He was practicing them on the sidelines before he had to go yesterday.

On Peppers...

All true.

And Carnell Lake was listed as a LBer at UCLA before he became a Pro Bowl Safety in Pittsburgh. I'm guessing there's more examples of Safeties turned LBers and LBers turned Safeties such as Louis Riddick, Mike Caldwell and Shaq Thompson just off the top of my head.

<p>

Winn... motor to burn, but with a knee question.

[*]Ryan Glasgow (UM) - every list needs a kid with a lunch pail... here's a good one. Measured OK-ish, but looked better in drills than expected.

Glasgow was a walk on that earned his way into a starting role. He may not be the most athletic, but has motor to burn. He made a few tackles on screens where he'd rush the passer, pull up, and get out to the HB for the tackle behind the line. All from an interior DL spot.

No one that knows what they're talking about is calling Peppers the same as Woodson. Within the program or otherwise.

But he is the first guy since Woodson to impact the game in all three phases, and be dynamic at all of them.

My best friend that was once an All County LBer and team Captain for a team that won the Sectional Title for Large Schools in Upstate NY is a HUGE Michigan fan. He has an unparalleled football IQ and he's usually very honest about Michigan players.

I told him my concerns about Peppers were his height and INT volume. His answer? That's because all his critics in cyberspace have seen about as much of him as you have Flugs. If you watch what Michigan asks of him - it isn't because they want to HIDE him - it's because they want to feature his very high football IQ, talent and and speed. Watch him on a blitz and it's impossible to not be impressed. My friend wants his team (Da Bears) to draft him. He assured me some NFL DCs will love a kid like this. I think some of the coverage on the NFL Channel yesterday said exactly what he did.

You'll call this homerism, but Peppers got himself into position to attempt tackles most defenders couldn't. Even if he didn't bring the ball carrier down, he slowed him up for the rest of the defense. An example of this was on WR screens. He got right by the player that was supposed to block him and brought the ball carrier down most of the time. But sometimes he'd slip through one block, most of another and just couldn't quite get the angle, but then another DB would finish the job.

Homerism.

You did ask for it.

My best friend that was once an All County LBer and team Captain for a team that won the Sectional Title for Large Schools in Upstate NY is a HUGE Michigan fan. He has an unparalleled football IQ and he's usually very honest about Michigan players.

I told him my concerns about Peppers were his height and INT volume. His answer? That's because all his critics in cyberspace have seen about as much of him as you have Flugs. If you watch what Michigan asks of him - it isn't because they want to HIDE him - it's because they want to feature his very high football IQ, talent and and speed. Watch him on a blitz and it's impossible to not be impressed. My friend wants his team (Da Bears) to draft him. He assured me some NFL DCs will love a kid like this. I think some of the coverage on the NFL Channel yesterday said exactly what he did.

Yeah we played Peppers wherever he could help us the most. Positions be damned. The coaches frequently talked about his ability to learn. Harbaugh said Peppers and Luck were the two top football IQ players he's coached. You never had to sub him off of the field, regardless of the situation.

Tebow loved football so much he refused to change positions in the NFL.

Peppers on the other hand literally played wherever we needed him, at the expense of his NFL future.

These were the comments from me about LOVES Football that Tia felt compelled to take way out of context to Tim Tebow:

Jalepeno Peppers seems like a fun kid that LOVES football enough to make it infectious with teammates via his team leadership role.

It's a shame I need to type a 1st round prospect LOVES football but our last FO drafted the hollow inner chests of Gilbert and Manziel over Khalil Mack and Derek Carr. And here we remain needing those 2 most important roles on a football team...

It's also funny that you've given me thumbs up for my objective evals on Buckeyes, yet call me bias regarding UM players. Ignoring the fact I haven't been shy in my praise of calling Jake Butt a future stud in the mold of Witten.

edit: Also considering Woodys mention of 'anonymous' scouts recently citing they believe Peppers to be a better offensive than defensive player, yet I have a post dating back to September after watching all 2015 and saying the same thing well in advance. There are Football minds in favor of my opinion on Jabrill. I fully expect him to tumble well outside of the top 10-15 that many here have labeled him worthy of.

It's also funny that you've given me thumbs up for my objective evals on Buckeyes, yet call me bias regarding UM players. Ignoring the fact I haven't been shy in my praise of calling Jake Butt a future stud in the mold of Witten.

Do you know we already had this discussion in this very same thread? Are you reading what I write or remembering you write at all here? Now it looks like you edited the last part so I'll cut and paste the first go round and then I'll get to the edited version.

tiamat63, on 06 Mar 2017 - 2:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Praise? Are you reading? I've given you compliments more in the last year than I ever have so I can't help it if you're suddenly surprised about it. Praise might be a little over-exaggerated. I thought your Adoree Jackson analysis was very good and told you that right? It's still in that thread so check out the date and time.

Anyway, Peppers is a Safety that scored TDs as a return man on Special Teams and when he lined up at RB so I'm not the one you need to picket in protest about the lingering sour grapes you have about his Heisman attention. I can assure you I had zero to do with any of that attention though. - Flugel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto your edited version. First, I don't remember ever conversing with you about Jake Butt any time recently especially since he's injured and dropping so let's stay on Peppers.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Adoree Jackson here - he's entirely a separate entity that has zero bearing on where/when Peppers will get drafted. You really don't think you're coming off like a person pissed at the attention Peppers got to the extent you're really negative about him in this draft? Your posts in this thread seem otherwise.... - Flugel Part II

Do you know we already had this discussion in this very same thread? Are you reading what I write or remembering you write at all here?

Just like your Tim Tebow comment that was so far out of the context of the discussion Tia. I thought the 2 of us were long past this.

I don't mind disagreeing. I'm telling you your assessment of Peppers seems a little aggressive especially when you detour to sour grapes about how much attention he got that Adoree Jackson should have. We're talking about what Peppers offers an NFL DC.

You speak of heart and charismatic attitudes, my highlight of Tebow was giving an example of similar player that received attention not in proportion with his skill set but "loves" the game.

My assessment of any player being spoken of well outside what they've shown will come across aggressive.

I joined this board August of 14'. You should see some of the words I had reserved for Manziel pre and post draft. Peppers just so happens to be a UM player. My mentioning of Adoree isn't sour grapes, it's a reality check on just how a hype train and name can carry someone to Heisman status.

Archived