THE BROWNS BOARD

Beware The Next Jeff George & David Carr Greatest Workouts Ever Types Today.

Flugel

My, my- getting touchy aren't you? What part of my statement "there's around a 1% chance of drafting Trubisky @ #1" you having trouble with? Obviously, I like Mitch's chances of succeeding- but I'd appreciate it if you'd respect my opinion to say so. No need to get all pissy about me bringing up some history. If you ask a random group of fans- who turned out to have more success in the NFL? I'd bet 80% of them would say Montana. Even Hue is giving credence to all things being equal- qb trumps pass rusher. Sorry if you don't get it yet- WHAT I'M SAYING IS AFTER THE COMBINE- IT'S NOT EQUAL ANYMORE. Not just on talent level, but body of college work- Garrett checks off way more boxes than Mitch. Don't forget the NFL put a first round grade on Trubisky- not me. So if he's not worthy of the #1 overall- I'm OK with that now. Me and Gipper have a couple bets he's not going to be there @ #12. Happy now?

Bringing up qbs that have been drafted in later rounds not second- there's a few gems there besides Carr. Dalton, Brees, and Esaison. The exceptions don't prove the rule Tom- the later you draft a qb, the poorer the odds he's going to be a top qb. Yeah they're not exactly great in the first round either, but they're a damnsite better than taking flyers in the sixth like Spergon Wynn. The stats that bear that out have been posted here plenty of times. For every Brady, there's probably 20 qbs taken in that round you've never heard of, because they were out of the league after a year or two. How many times have we gotten skunked taking factory second qbs @ #22, not to mention Frye and McCoy in the third? Or perhaps I should put the shoe on the other foot, and go on a continuous rant that taking a certain TE from Alabama at #12 is just as stupid an idea, when there's far more pressing needs at CB, safety, and DUH! quarterback.

Mod edit- I had more ideas Gip.

Well....I would like to see the list of boxes that are being checked off....not for purposes of the MT/Gayrett debate, but just to see what those boxes contain....since they seem to be of ultimate importance.

I think it would be highly impossible to have the same set of boxes for a defensive player and a QB. A QB has to have his own special set of boxes it seems to me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were that easily affronted, I'd a left a longtime ago. :D

I wouldn't wish that clearly disturbed individual on anyone and I suspect even fellow party members are quaking in their boots about what may happen on any given day the next 4 years.

But I do kind of like using his disturbed voice with comments. I know...............sad, very sad. :P

Disturbed Voice?

So sayeth Gayrett Fag #2.

Now...tell me...who is it that has the emotional investment?

I am not a Mentor HS fan...not like Stan. (If he had gone to Norton/Wadsworth/Barberton/St.V.St.M...that may be different)

I am not a North Carolina fan...

I am not saying this because the guy came from Northeast Ohio. Charlie Frye is from NEO, Brian Hoyer from NEO. Brady Quinn from O-H_I-O. I wasn't of the belief that any of them were a franchise like talent.

I am certainly no Texas A&M fag like Fag #1 and Fag #2. That clouds their vision far far far more than the fact that both I and this prospect come from the same Metropolitan region.

If he were a Zip or a Buckeye...I may have had some skewed vision...but he didn't. I didn't even advocate for the Zip (Frye) that much...or the Buckeyes...(like Cardale/Barrett etc)

I am simply going based on talent/potential.

And it is people with THEIR personal agendas that take affront.

I mean...do they not want this team to have a good QB?

The last time I was a big fan of Garrett was the summer before he got to A&M. Ask my Ag buddies. There are other players I like much better. But keep spewing lies. You're good at that.

The last time I was a big fan of Garrett was the summer before he got to A&M. Ask my Ag buddies. There are other players I like much better. But keep spewing lies. You're good at that.

You prevaricate and circumulate.

You make a foolish accusation, I definitively refute it.....then you go off on another direction.

Fine, you are not a Garrett Fag...any more that I want MT because he must happens to be from the NEOpolitan. I will take you at your word.

Now...do you or do you not want the Cleveland Browns to find a franchise QB for their future?

You prevaricate and circumulate.

You make a foolish accusation, I definitively refute it.....then you go off on another direction.

Fine, you are not a Garrett Fag...any more that I want MT because he must happens to be from the NEOpolitan. I will take you at your word.

Now...do you or do you not want the Cleveland Browns to find a franchise QB for their future?

Yes, if the right situation presents itself. It isn't with the #1 pick this year.

Yes, if the right situation presents itself. It isn't with the #1 pick this year.

Then why was it so hard for you to simply state that you disagreed with my opinion on the subject...instead of trying to denigrate that opinion?

And then this presents the question....if not #1 this year...then when? #12?

I wish all of you were right....that all the teams in the NFL would take the belief that MT is not a top QB prospect. If we could get Garrett at #1 and MT at #12...I would be perfectly satisfied. It would be the best of both worlds.

Ain't gonna happen though. 4 of the top 6 teams need a QB. MT WILL get drafted by one of them. Watson too in my opinion. Neither will be there at #12.

Then what? Stick with RG and Kessler? Go the FA route? Make a trade? For who? Take a chance on someone lower in the draft...and hope we get Tom Brady/Russell Wilson lucky? Not a good plan I don't think.

My, my- getting touchy aren't you? Like I'm the only guy who doesn't like Kizer- (who Tour doesn't care for him either) or Watson? You starting a vendetta with me or something? As far as weaknesses? And Garett doesn't have any either, I suppose. I commended the link that pointed out Trub's weaknesses FYI. What part of my statement "there's around a 1% chance of drafting Trubisky @ #1" you having trouble with? Obviously, I like Mitch's chances of succeeding- but I'd appreciate it if you'd respect my opinion to say so. No need to get all pissy about me bringing up some history. If you ask a random group of fans- who turned out to have more success in the NFL? I'd bet 80% of them would say Montana. Even Hue is giving credence to all things being equal- qb trumps pass rusher. Sorry if you don't get it yet- WHAT I'M SAYING IS AFTER THE COMBINE- IT'S NOT EQUAL ANYMORE. Not just on talent level, but body of college work- Garrett checks off way more boxes than Mitch. Don't forget the NFL put a first round grade on Trubisky- not me. So if he's not worthy of the #1 overall- I'm OK with that now. Me and Gipper have a couple bets he's not going to be there @ #12. Happy now?

Bringing up qbs that have been drafted in later rounds not second- there's a few gems there besides Carr. Dalton, Brees, and Esaison. The exceptions don't prove the rule Tom- the later you draft a qb, the poorer the odds he's going to be a top qb. Yeah they're not exactly great in the first round either, but they're a damnsite better than taking flyers in the sixth like Spergon Wynn. The stats that bear that out have been posted here plenty of times. For every Brady, there's probably 20 qbs taken in that round you've never heard of, because they were out of the league after a year or two. How many times have we gotten skunked taking factory second qbs @ #22, not to mention Frye and McCoy in the third? Or perhaps I should put the shoe on the other foot, and go on a continuous rant that taking a certain TE from Alabama at #12 is just as stupid an idea, when there's far more pressing needs at CB, safety, and DUH! quarterback.

There's no problem with you sticking to your gut with Trubisky at #1. It just rubbed me the wrong way when you changed to Camp Garrett acting like it's a drag and if Trubisky IS a Franchise QB for someone else - you're gonna go off.

This is a weak QB draft according to a consensus of scouts/experts/analysts that are more open-minded than fans wanting a local kid. Tour tried explaining this to you about the weak draft but you but up a China wall to his points and dismissed them.

Charlie Casserly just explained none of the QBs are good enough to be in the Top 10 so he has us taking Trubisky at #12 in his Mock draft tonight on the NFL Channel. He's got a lot of experience as a GM and he sees us getting Garrett and Trubisky.

I complimented both Watson and Trubisky after the combine. Having said that, I can't wrap my head around investing a 1st round pick on either for our situation. How many different QBs here couldn't even survive starts (some twice) last year? Whitehurst, Kessler, RG3 and McCown. Our TE couldn't outrun a mannequin last year and he'll be 32; Pryor may not be back; our line needs improvement. We can't keep drafting first round picks that don't pan out. It's killed us to date. Me thinks if Dak Prescott came here last year - he wouldn't have been nearly as successful as the Dallas line, running game, and Dez Bryant & Jason Witten enabled him to be. People still complain that Couch never had a chance. If you think you're tired of arguing now - what til you have to defend why your guy is struggling every week.

I think I'm all QB'd out. There will be a lot of guys on our door step that can really help improve us this year. I'm going to start focusing more on rounds 2-7 and free agency.

Favre and Rypien were also 2nd round QBs to add to our already mentioned Brees, Carr, Dalton, and Esiason.

I'd make12 an either/or with Watson

Actually let me amend this. QBs I'd be acceptable with:

1 overall for Cousins

12 for Trubisky OR Grop

33 for Watson

45 for Mahomes

Roll with Kessler

Also cool with Tyrod.

Not cool with Kaepernick for any price. Even though I'm a far right winger, I don't care about the national anthem stuff (I'm consistent here). He's just not very good.

someone on the radio was talking about drafting a QB and signing Hoyer to be the bridge veteran... Honestly, I don't hate it, Hoyer certainly had his short-comings his first time around, but he also gave Brown's fans hope for a little while at least. We all know that the rookie would be starting by week 8 anyway.

someone on the radio was talking about drafting a QB and signing Hoyer to be the bridge veteran... Honestly, I don't hate it, Hoyer certainly had his short-comings his first time around, but he also gave Brown's fans hope for a little while at least. We all know that the rookie would be starting by week 8 anyway.

I heard the same. IF Hoyer would be willing to be a "bridge QB" & mentor, it wouldn't be a bad idea & possibly a fantastic PR move.

Mike

There's no problem with you sticking to your gut with Trubisky at #1. It just rubbed me the wrong way when you changed to Camp Garrett acting like it's a drag and if Trubisky IS a Franchise QB for someone else - you're gonna go off.

This is a weak QB draft according to a consensus of scouts/experts/analysts that are more open-minded than fans wanting a local kid. Tour tried explaining this to you about the weak draft but you but up a China wall to his points and dismissed them.

Charlie Casserly just explained none of the QBs are good enough to be in the Top 10 so he has us taking Trubisky at #12 in his Mock draft tonight on the NFL Channel. He's got a lot of experience as a GM and he sees us getting Garrett and Trubisky.

I complimented both Watson and Trubisky after the combine. Having said that, I can't wrap my head around investing a 1st round pick on either for our situation. How many different QBs here couldn't even survive starts (some twice) last year? Whitehurst, Kessler, RG3 and McCown. Our TE couldn't outrun a mannequin last year and he'll be 32; Pryor may not be back; our line needs improvement. We can't keep drafting first round picks that don't pan out. It's killed us to date. Me thinks if Dak Prescott came here last year - he wouldn't have been nearly as successful as the Dallas line, running game, and Dez Bryant & Jason Witten enabled him to be. People still complain that Couch never had a chance. If you think you're tired of arguing now - what til you have to defend why your guy is struggling every week.

I think I'm all QB'd out. There will be a lot of guys on our door step that can really help improve us this year. I'm going to start focusing more on rounds 2-7 and free agency.

Favre and Rypien were also 2nd round QBs to add to our already mentioned Brees, Carr, Dalton, and Esiason.

You mean the Charlie Casserly that drafted Heath Schuler with the 3rd overall pick in the draft? He must be an expert on QB's!

Just pullin' your chain Tom!

Actually let me amend this. QBs I'd be acceptable with:

1 overall for Cousins Looks like it's going to be Garrett

12 for Trubisky OR Grop OK with Cousins here

33 for Watson Maybe Grop here, don't love Watson, yet. (my least favorite options)

45 for Mahomes I think it's 52, but I'd be OK, don't think he'll last that long)

Roll with Kessler If we don't get Trubs, Webb on day 3, if he's still on the board.

Also cool with Tyrod. Not OK. he's a slightly better version of RG III

Not cool with Kaepernick for any price. Most definitely not OK with Collin.

With all the chatter about Garropolo, the media has finally gotten around to talking about Mike Glennon. No opinion there yet- but pretty low on the option possibility.

The host (Jerod Cherry, I believe) seemed to have heard Hoyer say he wouldn't mind coming back to Cleveland as a mentor...Of course, at this point in his career, I'm sure he'd go anywhere willing to pay him.

Exactly. I'd take him back over RG III in a New Your minute. But then again, I'd say the same for just about any qb that isn't currently in a wheelchair.

You mean the Charlie Casserly that drafted Heath Schuler with the 3rd overall pick in the draft? He must be an expert on QB's!

HA! Very true, but when you win a Superbowl or 2 -you get a mulligan. For example, Bill Walsh preferred Hostra's Gino Carmozzi over Tom Brady. I think I can cut him some slack considering what he previously built up in SF.

You guys really believe in Hoyer's mentoring ability?

I was thinking the same thing. Mentor in bad passes and bad decisions maybe? "Here son, just do a George Costanza opposite and you'll be fine."

12 for Trubisky, 33 for Garoppollo, or roll with Kessler, that's what I'd do.

A. Yes....if he is still there..which I don't think will happen.. B. No...but I may do #52...but per reports I heard on ESPN this morning, BB want TWO first round draft picks for JG...fuck him. C. Roll with Kessler as a backup at best.....but what about RGIII...who among them plays if we stand pat on the QB?

I heard the same. IF Hoyer would be willing to be a "bridge QB" & mentor, it wouldn't be a bad idea & possibly a fantastic PR move.

Mike

He wanted no part of being that for JMZ....don't blame him. Would he be OK with that if it were any of the QBs that are available this year?

And why Hoyer for that role...when we have RG? (Perhaps because RG would not be accepting of the role where Hoyer would be?)

Well, as I said.....QBs are like a Box of Chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get. (err, wait...it may have been someone else that said that....Forest Lump?)

You might get Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell. Or you might get Peyton Manning CAM Newton.

Or later you might find a nice chewy QB like a Brady or a Wilson.

Leadership-Lesson-Life-is-Like-a-Box-of-

HA! Very true, but when you win a Superbowl or 2 -you get a mulligan. For example, Bill Walsh preferred Hostra's Gino Carmozzi over Tom Brady. I think I can cut him some slack considering what he previously built up in SF.

I don't think Bill Walsh was with the 49ers at that point...err, actually...I looked it up. Yes, he WAS the VP and GM of the Niners in 2000. So you are right. The guy that took Joe Montana passed up on the next Joe Montana.....but then...so did everyone else....6 times over.

Archived