THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns Rumors

Herman M

Jones for Edwards deal possible?

Updated: Edwards deal possible

Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggests the dealing between the Jets and Browns might not be over.

Grossi said he believes a swap of Thomas Jones for Braylon Edwards would make sense for both teams. Jones and Edwards are both unhappy with their contracts. Jones has sat out all of the Jets' voluntary workouts after leading the AFC in rushing with 1,312 yards last season. The Jets traded up in the third round to draft Iowa RB Shonn Greene and they also have Leon Washington in the backfield.

Edwards has been linked to trade rumors for months, but stayed put on draft weekend. The Jets and Browns made a deal on day one for Gang Green to move up and select Mark Sanchez with the fifth pick. Then the Browns used two second-round picks on receivers -- Brian Robiskie (Boston College) and Mohammed Massaquoi (Georgia). The teams apparently have a good relationship with ex-Jets head coach Eric Mangnini now running the show in Cleveland.

Grossi also says that if the Jets released the disgruntled running back, "Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second ..."

Wednesday, Grossi pointed out how the Browns are stockpiling receivers perhaps preparing to part with Edwards.

Grossi writes, "Until proven otherwise, we've got to assume a trade of Braylon Edwards is still being explored. Surely he's not scoring points with Mangini by missing the "voluntary" offseason conditioning workouts. ... Securing a No. 1 pick in 2010 for Edwards now would give the Browns some comfort moving forward."

Buzz up!Posted by web editor on May 6, 2009

Then the Browns used two second-round picks on receivers -- Brian Robiskie (Boston College) and Mohammed Massaquoi (Georgia). The teams apparently have a good relationship with ex-Jets head coach Eric Mangnini now running the show in Cleveland.

BC????!!!!??? A late Cinco de Mayo, Tony?

I have a hard time believing they would make this trade even up. I'd think there would have to be more for the Browns than a well traveled, soon to be 31 year old RB.

That very well may be why it hasn't happened yet. The Browns want more.

I have a hard time believing they would make this trade even up. I'd think there would have to be more for the Browns than a well traveled, soon to be 31 year old RB.

We can give him and lewis a set of rocking chairs to sit on the sidelines. :D

I have been very pleased with the new Mangini and Co.so far but if they trade Edwards sraight up for Thomas Jones I think the president should order an air strike on Berea.

LoL i have to agree joker bombs away!

That trade straight up would be the biggest ass reaming any regime has ever taken...and i dont think mankok would even remotely consider it...

I have been very pleased with Mangini and Co.so far but if they trade Edwards sraight up for Thomas Jones I think the president should order an air strike on Berea.

Grossi also mentions in the last lines there about securing a #1 in 2010 for BE....so I assume he thinks a Jones AND 1st for BE.

I'm with you, I don't see this trade at all. I think some writer was trying to put 2 + 2 together and make something out of it. I just can't see the Browns going after another old RB. I could see them going after a RT or OLB but not Jones and surely not for Jones straight up.

Actually, I think Dallas or Miami are better trade partners.

Grossi also mentions in the last lines there about securing a #1 in 2010 for BE....so I assume he thinks a Jones AND 1st for BE.

I would do this. I would think that would be in the 12-20 range in the first round, plus it plugs a possible hole at RB for a year or two and buys Mangini more time to build "His" team while still being very competitive.

Two mid round picks in the first round would be so nice next year. Taylor Mays and Rolando McCain? Wow...That would be instant defense.

I would do this. I would think that would be in the 12-20 range in the first round, plus it plugs a possible hole at RB for a year or two and buys Mangini more time to build "His" team while still being very competitive.

Two mid round picks in the first round would be so nice next year. Taylor Mays and Rolando McCain? Wow...That would be instant defense.

Still hard (for me) to take this trade. I'd be more open if Quinn ends up being Quinn and MoMass & Robiskie perform as advertised or better. And we have a feature back (or even better a tandem in Harrison & Davis) that has 4-5 years of production in the tank. (I know that's impossible to predict, but the guys don't have to be LT or AP for you to know that they can run it for a few more seasons).

But, are these happenings on offense a result of Edwards returning to 2007-like form? I say absolutely a part of it. How would the MoMass /Robiskie-led WR corps change without a Pro-Bowler opening things up? Hard to say. Or is Edwards return due to Quinn's leadership (and subsequent solid performance)? Or better play-calling than an "incomplete and run it between the guards twice" series?

All of it is clearly in play. WR's are a dime/dz but a 2007 Edwards is not (as we were all too familiar with last season). <_<

p.s. Plus, our Taylor Mays might already be wearing #16.

But, are these happenings on offense a result of Edwards returning to 2007-like form? I say absolutely a part of it. How would the MoMass /Robiskie-led WR corps change without a Pro-Bowler opening things up? Hard to say. Or is Edwards return due to Quinn's leadership (and subsequent solid performance)? Or better play-calling than an "incomplete and run it between the guards twice" series?

All of it is clearly in play. WR's are a dime/dz but a 2007 Edwards is not (as we were all too familiar with last season). <_<

We could use another RB and I feel that this would be due to things BE has said in the past of not likeing it in Cleveland, then flopping around saying he Loves it. Its BS he will more than likely run for the money.

With all the quality wr's we have in camp, the pressure to be an all-star on BE has to be alot less, considering last years collection of misfits.

The Browns were said to be looking for a 1 and a 3.(was that ever confirmed?)

So if they get the 1 from ny i still don't see jones ranking as a 3rd round pick, you'll probaly be able to pick him off waivers next year aywaqys

I so hope you are right but I just don't see it happening. It's a shame to not at least take a look at him there. Just doesn't make sense to me not to do it. Anyone that ahtletic, who attacks and tackles as well as he does should get a look at being a full time defensive guy.

If Chris Gamble can make the transition for WR to corner I can't believe Cribbs couldn't do that same at Safety.

Your points about not making the trade are valid in other areas too. I'm not all over getting rid of him as I was before the Draft. The thought of Robiskie, Massaquoi, Furrey and Edwards intrigues me.

But in the end I think Edwards will not be a Mangini type of guy and I tend to think Mangini is shoping him. It's pretty obvious that Mangini is attempting to amass a certain type of player/personality and I doubt Edwards fits that type.

I'd rather get something for him now than wait to see him have another bad year and not get anything for him...ie, Derek Anderson.

I so hope you are right but I just don't see it happening. It's a shame to not at least take a look at him there. Just doesn't make sense to me not to do it. Anyone that ahtletic, who attacks and tackles as well as he does should get a look at being a full time defensive guy.

If Chris Gamble can make the transition for WR to corner I can't believe Cribbs couldn't do that same at Safety.

Your points about not making the trade are valid in other areas too. I'm not all over getting rid of him as I was before the Draft. The thought of Robiskie, Massaquoi, Furrey and Edwards intrigues me.

But in the end I think Edwards will not be a Mangini type of guy and I tend to think Mangini is shoping him. It's pretty obvious that Mangini is attempting to amass a certain type of player/personality and I doubt Edwards fits that type.

I'd rather get something for him now than wait to see him have another bad year and not get anything for him...ie, Derek Anderson.

I agree that I believe Mangini is shopping him...but I personally think he goes for a 2010 1st and 4th round pick (or something on those lines). I don't think they send him off for a player (especially an old RB). Mangini and Kokinis are BUILDING a team...not reloading. An aging RB will do us no good. They will look to getting more key pieces through the draft...and that will be best done in what is anticipated as a strong draft class in 2010.

Besides, having an extra 1st will allow the Browns to go after a QB if one of ours doesn't pan out this year.

Besides, having an extra 1st will allow the Browns to go after a QB if one of ours doesn't pan out this year.

Exactly...Or a RB. If any combo of Harrison, Lewis and Davis doesn't cut it. C.J. Spiller reminds me a lot of a young Thomas Jones and is a first round pick next year. How interesting it would be to team up Davis and Spiller again.

I also thought it was interesting that Davis is wearing #28 in camp. That is Spiller's number at Clemson. They are extremely close friends.

For a guy that runs a little upright and almost looks stiff, he shows some amazing moves and body control.

And finally....Spiller is a high character guy and a devout Christian. He has Mangini "type" written all over him.

I love the guy.

31 year old RB, no prime game left in him, albeit a solid back, for a 26 year old WR who has the talent to be a top 5 WR in the NFL and is a #1 WR on the majority of teams? This is the dumbest trade ever, unless something else is involved. Next year's first would be great, but I think they can get a player out of this.. who, I'm not sure.

With all the quality wr's we have in camp, the pressure to be an all-star on BE has to be alot less, considering last years collection of misfits.

The Browns were said to be looking for a 1 and a 3.(was that ever confirmed?)

Nothing was ever confirmed and Mangini says he wasn't shopping Edwards, only listening to offers. Actually, there is no indication that Edwards is even available for trade now.

This is speculation at its best, but that's what makes this place fun, we can indulge our dreams and hopes.

I dont like the idea and would not enineer this trade...I could see draft picks but an aging running back when youve just drated James Davis seems non sensical to Me...

The only problem I have with getting a first from the Jets is that I think they will have a winning record next season and if we do get their first it would mid to low first round. Edwards was the 3rd overall pick and has proved he can live up to the billing AND is in the prime of his career. If they get Edwards I would want their first plus a couple of legit players Revis or Rhodes would have to be included in the deal.

Yeah, I think they'll have a mid first round pick at best (or worst, depending on who you're rooting for, haha).

That being said, no way they give up Revis or Rhodes and a first. Heck, I would be happy to get Revis straight up.

:lol:

which is why we're getting offers left and right for his services....

Not sure what you're saying here. You seem to be laughing at my comment, then you say something that supports it. The Browns are getting offers because teams see the potential he has. He has the talent to be a top 5-caliber WR, whether he uses his tools to the best of his abilities is up to him.

EDIT: I know what you're saying.. why are we trading him if he has that potential.. he probably doesn't have the work ethic of the attitude that the new regime want on this team. Simple as that. Players who are better than Edwards have been traded (and released) because of these issues. Specifically, Terrell Owens. One of the best WRs of all time, statistically, will have played for four different teams. It's not all about talent, potential, what you've done on the field. I know that you know this.

Guest mz.
I would be happy to get Revis straight up.

As would I, if I wanted to get rid of Edwards, which I don't. Rhodes I'd probably turn down ("shutdown corners" are harder to find than safeties).

I think it's time to drop the Braylons trade talk. He would have been moved before or during the draft and there is no way an aging back would be a part of a trade unless there was a shitload to go along with it.

Edwards gives the Browns a certifiable receiving corps and the rookies way less pressure to develop. I think this can be put to rest.

I think Grossi just loves to make s''t up, The new browns brass is ultra quiet and does not tend to leak any info..hence a center in the first. Grossi needs to write about something. i don't believe a word he says. He like to stir s''t up. Take what he says with a grain of salt. BTW what is up with his forehead. Is he putting oil on it?? every time he is on my TV, i need to wipe off the screen. He's a douche. Mary Kay Cabot is starting to have more credibility. Tony has no idea what the browns are planning. He just writes and creates rumors. ANY OF US COULD DO THAT!!!!!

Archived