THE BROWNS BOARD

Why hasn't this team embraced Osweiler?

Frenchie

Too many picks in one year only means the Browns have to trade away some of them to continue to stockpile. Say if they make all their picks this year that means only half will more than likely make the team. The other picks are wasted time.

So we get another 2nd rounder they must use it for trade bait or keep it using the other high picks as bait, either way it's a big gamble for 16 million. Dude..16 million.

It's 16mil of someone else's money......

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I heard that after all the signings they are still 70 million under the cap. Some share of that must be reserved for signing incoming rookies...but it does not look like they are anywhere near close to having exhausted the cap. That is what I heard...though I don't know where to go to verify it.

Yup, those two first round picks are going to cost. If Garrett is everythig we hope he is, down the road it will cost $100 million+ to keep him. They work a trade for Cousins and that's another $25 million gone.

Yup, those two first round picks are going to cost. If Garrett is everythig we hope he is, down the road it will cost $100 million+ to keep him. They work a trade for Cousins and that's another $25 million gone.

As I wrote in another thread we have around $64mm left under the cap and as our picks now stand they will eat about $16mm of that.

I'm looking forward to the days when we are cap challenged, but that's still years away... unless we sign every flippin' FA that comes along like some here want to..

Here is my latest 'prediction' aka nfl conspiracy theory with regards to the Browns QB situations: The Browns acquired Osweiler to trade him to the Patriots in a deal involving Garropolo. Here is what I think could happen (and IMO they'd be overpaying):

Browns trade pick 12 and 52, Osweiler, and agree to absorb half his contract (so the Pats only pay $8 million of his salary) to the Patriots, who give JimmyG to the Browns. Remember the Pats don't have a first or second round pick this year after the Cooks deal. Maybe the Pats put themselves in that position knowing they would replenish those picks via a trade with the Browns. Osweiler would replace JimmyG as a backup with experience, giving them time to bring Brissett along.

This scenario would explain why the Browns refuse to embrace Osweiler.

Here is my latest 'prediction' aka nfl conspiracy theory with regards to the Browns QB situations: The Browns acquired Osweiler to trade him to the Patriots in a deal involving Garropolo. Here is what I think could happen (and IMO they'd be overpaying):

Browns trade pick 12 and 52, Osweiler, and agree to absorb half his contract (so the Pats only pay $8 million of his salary) to the Patriots, who give JimmyG to the Browns. Remember the Pats don't have a first or second round pick this year after the Cooks deal. Maybe the Pats put themselves in that position knowing they would replenish those picks via a trade with the Browns. Osweiler would replace JimmyG as a backup with experience, giving them time to bring Brissett along.

This scenario would explain why the Browns refuse to embrace Osweiler.

Reaching for straws. If that was the agreed upon plan, then why has it not already come to fruition?

Reaching for straws. If that was the agreed upon plan, then why has it not already come to fruition?

IDK about that plan, but I was thinking on this a little bit the other day. Right now it's pretty well known the Browns don't have a strong interest in the Brock Lobster in their plans. BUT, as the draft gets closer and closer I think Brock's value increases due to some organizations thinking they can make him work for them and not liking the QBs in this class. I could easily see a draft day trade for a 3rd round pick when right now that would never happen.

IDK about that plan, but I was thinking on this a little bit the other day. Right now it's pretty well known the Browns don't have a strong interest in the Brock Lobster in their plans. BUT, as the draft gets closer and closer I think Brock's value increases due to some organizations thinking they can make him work for them and not liking the QBs in this class. I could easily see a draft day trade for a 3rd round pick when right now that would never happen.

Well....you KNOW that this is the season for blowing smoke up one's ass....and that the "lack of interest" in BO....may just be that...smoke and bullshit.

Believe it or not...this is a very interesting video.

BUT, as the draft gets closer and closer I think Brock's value increases due to some organizations thinking they can make him work for them and not liking the QBs in this class. I could easily see a draft day trade for a 3rd round pick when right now that would never happen.

Certainly can see Brock's value increasing with time... Draft is one check point... TC/Preseason when QB injuries begin to hit is another.

Big question come the Draft is where do teams queue Brock in in this QB class? I'm not seeing a 3rd round grade, but some might.

As I mentioned AG, because the Browns haven't completely evaluated the 2017 QB class yet. MHO, if this over hyped trade is going to happen at all, it will go down with the Browns on the clock, when trade values tend to drop. Lobster for Jimmy straight up - one backup for another. :)

Certainly can see Brock's value increasing with time... Draft is one check point... TC/Preseason when QB injuries begin to hit is another.

Big question come the Draft is where do teams queue Brock in in this QB class? I'm not seeing a 3rd round grade, but some might.

Remembering that the cowboys were enquiring after Josh McCown last summer and we said no - I can see a situation where a team throws something at us for Brockweiler.

Not trying to disprove of your option but I have a question.

If the Browns would've signed Oz last year would you've been opposed to it?

Hmmm, looking back with as unbiased eyes as possible, yea I would've been fine with him over RG3 all day..... To be fair, I'm still not convinced he can't play and am 100% OK with keeping him and letting him fight it out in TC/early pre-season.

Elway also thought he was the guy last year, so there has to be something? The Texans are rivaling the Browns in terms of being a QB killer.

Hmmm, looking back with as unbiased eyes as possible, yea I would've been fine with him over RG3 all day..... To be fair, I'm still not convinced he can't play and am 100% OK with keeping him and letting him fight it out in TC/early pre-season.

Elway also thought he was the guy last year, so there has to be something? The Texans are rivaling the Browns in terms of being a QB killer.

Or it may be the other way around. Some of the same QBs that killed us have killed them: Hoyer last year, Weeden has started some for them.

Though, you may be right. Here are their starting QBs the last 4 years:

2016 Brock Osweiler (14) / Tom Savage (2) [1]

2015 Brian Hoyer (9) / Ryan Mallett (4) / T. J. Yates (2) / Brandon Weeden (1) [2]

2014 Ryan Fitzpatrick (12) / Ryan Mallett (2) / Case Keenum (2) [3]

2013 Matt Schaub (8) / Case Keenum (8)

You know, the only reason I may see it is because someone, somewhere (and hell it may be the Browns) will get that mindset of "Houston was the wrong offense".

Sure there were question marks, but there's a reason Brock Lobster was a coveted FA QB as well. Given he's young and he's shown flashes of being good might entice say SF or the Jets to think about it.

You know, the only reason I may see it is because someone, somewhere (and hell it may be the Browns) will get that mindset of "Houston was the wrong offense".

Sure there were question marks, but there's a reason Brock Lobster was a coveted FA QB as well. Given he's young and he's shown flashes of being good might entice say SF or the Jets to think about it.

I think it was boo that said it here...

Tall, big arm, did not stink it up in Denver, but with that D that was his job... "don't F it up."

And least we forget when it came time for the playoff run he was benched in favor of a very limited P. Manning... and that was after 3 years of prep.

I think it was boo that said it here...

Tall, big arm, did not stink it up in Denver, but with that D that was his job... "don't F it up."

And least we forget when it came time for the playoff run he was benched in favor of a very limited P. Manning... and that was after 3 years of prep.

Shhhh.....you'll alert the others :P

Forget the actual trade and your opinion of what they did. But once the trade was made, the Browns devalued their asset (QB) by mentioning his name as an afterthought and immediately talking about trading or cutting him. Dumb move. Stupid. Even if that's their intention, don't let the world see your cards! What they should have done is embrace him, promote his skills, talk about how it doesn't prevent you from signing, trading or drafting a QB, but BO is a huge upgrade (over RG3) and in the hands of HJ, he could vastly improve his performance over last year. That's what the Patriots are doing with Garopolo. That's how they leverage their asssets in possible trade negotiations. In the NFL, no team wants to buy something that another team is talking about cutting.

I'm still wondering if this F.O. know what their doing. At this point, with the BO trade, the loss of TP and Mitch Swartz and Gabriel last year, I'm very disappointed.

yep, brock stinkweiler, another humdinger in a long list of past humdingers..

On the plus-side he's tall enough to wear "the jersey" without his name dragging on the ground...

#alwayslookingonthebrightside

Me too.

OZ needs to light it up. As far as the Texans goes there's never been a qb there either...great take and now I see where you're coming from.

What's the probability that the Browns don't select a QB in the draft if they don't trade for Garoppolo or anything else? Is it really 0%. I know Sashi said he'd be satisfied going into the season with his current roster of QB's but nobody took that seriously - right? What happens if Fournette is there at 12? Peppers at the top of Round 2? Etc. Etc. Could we have such a good draft that we just couldn't Waste a top 3 round pick on a QB? Is wait until next year completely unacceptable?

What's the probability that the Browns don't select a QB in the draft if they don't trade for Garoppolo or anything else? Is it really 0%. I know Sashi said he'd be satisfied going into the season with his current roster of QB's but nobody took that seriously - right? What happens if Fournette is there at 12? Peppers at the top of Round 2? Etc. Etc. Could we have such a good draft that we just couldn't Waste a top 3 round pick on a QB? Is wait until next year completely unacceptable?

A. IMO, the Garropolo trade ain't happening unless the Pats want a reasonable price for him...i.e. a mid 2d rounder.

B. The Browns will draft a QB...though where...who knows.

C. Fuck a bunch of Fatty Fournette. RB is not a Browns priority such that they need to use a high pick on that spot.

D. Peppers at top of round 2 could make some sense. Browns need DB and a punt returner.

E. If Trubisky is picked...I do not think it will be a waste at all.

F. But, if they don't, they may still take a QB late (or get one as a UDFA)...and rely on Kessler or BO...and maybe wait for next year.

If Peppers is not there top of round 2, maybe USC's Adoree Jackson will be. He is a triple threat CB, PR and KO R. with very good hands/speed.

I think Peppers is long gone by round 2 and possibly Jackson as well.

If Peppers is not there top of round 2, maybe USC's Adoree Jackson will be. He is a triple threat CB, PR and KO R. with very good hands/speed.

I think Peppers is long gone by round 2 and possibly Jackson as well.

Love Jackson....he's on my hit list for sure......Id take him if he's there in the 2nd......

Archived