THE BROWNS BOARD

Why hasn't this team embraced Osweiler?

Frenchie

So Hue today said that BO will in fact compete for the starting job.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Hue today said that BO will in fact compete for the starting job.

I'm down. Zero risk at the point, and absolutely no reason not to.

Let him play while our new rookie QB learns the ropes. At this stage, he just might be our best QB. Who needs to see anymore of captain checkdown, or Hogan? I've seen enough of the 2 yrd out.

Where do you see that? I see that he said he'll be treated as a competitor until he's not on the roster anymore, which sounds more like they are waiting to get rid of him.

Read the next paragraph

“He is. Obviously, he’s a player on our team and we’re going to treat him just like we do all of our other quarterbacks until he’s not.

“He’s a guy that’s gonna come in and compete. We haven’t had an opportunity to meet with him from a football standpoint because of the rules. But once we start our offseason program, phase one, we’ll get a chance to know him and he’ll get to know us.”

Read the next paragraph

“He is. Obviously, he’s a player on our team and we’re going to treat him just like we do all of our other quarterbacks until he’s not."

I'm pretty sure that translates to: "Joe told me to draft Mitch."

Read the next paragraph

He is. Obviously, hes a player on our team and were going to treat him just like we do all of our other quarterbacks until hes not.

Hes a guy thats gonna come in and compete. We havent had an opportunity to meet with him from a football standpoint because of the rules. But once we start our offseason program, phase one, well get a chance to know him and hell get to know us.

"He's a player on our team,"

"Until he's not."

Dude can you read?

"He's a player on our team,"

"Until he's not."

Dude can you read?

"He's a guy that's gonna come in and compete" Dude can you read?

By the way I think BO is garbage.

Pessimist vs. the Optimist

"He's a guy that's gonna come in and compete" Dude can you read?

By the way I think BO is garbage.

Pessimist vs. the Optimus

Have you ever heard another coach refer to a QB on their team and then say "oh yeah (insert name) will compete on the team until the guy is no longer on our team"? No because they likely expected their particular QB to stick around. If BO makes it to training camp, he will be on borrowed time.

Have you ever heard another coach refer to a QB on their team and then say "oh yeah (insert name) will compete on the team until the guy is no longer on our team"? No because they likely expected their particular QB to stick around. If BO makes it to training camp, he will be on borrowed time.

If you are old enough to remember, Bill Belichick would give those kind of smug answers to every reporter that asked a stupid question. So the answer to that oh hell yeah. Again by the way BO is garbage, and sadly he is the best QB on our roster.

Read the next paragraph

“He is. Obviously, he’s a player on our team and we’re going to treat him just like we do all of our other quarterbacks until he’s not.

“He’s a guy that’s gonna come in and compete. We haven’t had an opportunity to meet with him from a football standpoint because of the rules. But once we start our offseason program, phase one, we’ll get a chance to know him and he’ll get to know us.”

I guess I just don't understand these stupid rules. These guys are professionals....they get paid millions of dollars. Why are there rules that say that a boss cannot meet with him employees?

There should be NO rules against meeting with your employees, having your employees there working out any time they want.

Do these guys need time off? Sure? But they have all had time off since the Super Bowl ended...or in the case of the Browns, since their season ended in early January.

So, give the guys two weeks off after the season to go soak up some sun in the Caribbean, but then after two weeks, get back in, start getting in shape. Take another week off maybe sometime here in March. Let them go on a spring break.

Why should there be rules that give these guys 3 months off? They are not teachers, they are professional football players.

BO is definitely hot garbage.

Not sure how hot he is...

But if not moved by the time OTAs roll around, he'll be on the field. Ditto for TC. I think that's all Hue was saying.

As for Sashi... I think he simply made it clear that we did not acquire Brock to be our QB-of-the-future.

Certainly nothing inconsistent in those takes.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting breakdown of Brock's starts in Denver... by a Texans fan. Don't remember hearing this "analyst" before, but really liked him... he made some really deep dives in schemes on both sides of the ball. Good speaking voice, plain spoken and sharp graphics to boot...

Anyway if you get past the long intro footage and his early "I think he's going to be good in Houston" you'll get to the meat of the issues he had in Denver... and eventually the causes for optimism.

To be fair, the OL Osweiler had in Denver would charitably be described as "hot garbage."

Houston's line last season was a few notches behind Cleveland's especially in passpro [Houston started the league's worst RT] which is not the optimal situation for a QB whose release is far from quick.

Seriously? Swartz was willing to come back to the Browns but Sashi pulled the contract. Sounds like Ego > Negotiating Intelligence. That hurt the team.

And there's a fat guy in a red suit that flies behind reindeer in the sky every 24th of December. - Flugel

Pryor and Sashi couldn't agree long term - so sign him for a year at $8M ($9M with incentives). But don't let him sign with Washington!

Who is the only team that even gave Pryor a chance to play WR when he was unemployed? Cleveland. Now, who is the only HC that started him at WR? Hue. When the rest of the NFL seemed disinterested, so exactly how much more money did Pryor sign for in Washington than he was offered here? - Flugel

Oh, and we still don't have a Franchise QB.

While the previous regime here was staining their underwear over Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel - Oakland drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr (in round 2). Today, there's only 2 first round picks from the 2014 draft that are unemployed in the NFL: Johnny Manziel and Justin Gilbert. Let's make sure we blame Sashi for 100% of that. Last I checked, Sashi got a draft pick from Pittsburgh in exchange for Justin Gilbert (whom they cut). Seems to me, Oakland doesn't have to screw around looking for an elite edge rusher or QB any more. - Flugel

So no, I'm not impressed with the FO so far.

Nobody is asking you to be. - Flugel

Please don't hang their hat on paying $16 M on a second rounder.

Good stories never go straight from "Once upon a time" to "they lived happily ever after." - Flugel

Who is the only team that even gave Pryor a chance to play WR when he was unemployed? Cleveland. Now, who is the only HC thatstarted him at WR? Hue. When the rest of the NFL seemed disinterested, so exactly how much more money did Pryor sign for in Washington than he was offered here? - Flugel

I would like to know the answer to that question.

Seriously? Swartz was willing to come back to the Browns but Sashi pulled the contract. Sounds like Ego > Negotiating Intelligence. That hurt the team.

And there's a fat guy in a red suit that flies behind reindeer in the sky every 24th of December. - Flugel

Pryor and Sashi couldn't agree long term - so sign him for a year at $8M ($9M with incentives). But don't let him sign with Washington!

Who is the only team that even gave Pryor a chance to play WR when he was unemployed? Cleveland. Now, who is the only HC that started him at WR? Hue. When the rest of the NFL seemed disinterested, so exactly how much more money did Pryor sign for in Washington than he was offered here? - Flugel

Both of these comments are true.....and exactly how I felt when the deals went down......

1) player gets offer from Browns

2) player then talks to other team

3) Browns get pissed and withdraw offer

4) other team gets player

5) Browns "make their point", then have to settle for less.....

Schwartz / Pryor = nobody / Britt

Speaking of which what's up with Crowell? Did he sign the tender offer yesterday?

Nope... http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Isaiah-Crowell-did-not-sign-RFA-contract-sheet-52414012

Looks like we may be headed to our first "hold out" situation. Kinda saw that coming when we put the 2nd-round tender on him.

Who is the only team that even gave Pryor a chance to play WR when he was unemployed? Cleveland. Now, who is the only HC thatstarted him at WR? Hue. When the rest of the NFL seemed disinterested, so exactly how much more money did Pryor sign for in Washington than he was offered here? - Flugel

I would like to know the answer to that question.

Gips, the answer is in what you cut and pasted. But I'll provide some detail.

After a very impressive preseason here as a WR in 2015, Pryor was cut right before the end of training camp. All 32 NFL teams left him unemployed for about 3 months until Cleveland re-signed him so late in the season that the coaching staff was too uncomfortable to start him. The next coaching staff started him in 2016.

Nope... http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Isaiah-Crowell-did-not-sign-RFA-contract-sheet-52414012

Looks like we may be headed to our first "hold out" situation. Kinda saw that coming when we put the 2nd-round tender on him.

ARGHHHH! Soft tissue injuries usually follow these delayed contract agreements. Not to give Clevsies acid reflux here but Didn't Bosa miss about the first month of the season to a hammy pull last year?

Gips, the answer is in what you cut and pasted. But I'll provide some detail.

After a very impressive preseason here as a WR in 2015,

You do realize he didnt catch a single pass in the 2015 preseason...right?....not a single one(impressive, eh?)

And that, prior to coming to the Browns, he refused to switch positions when asked.....(and he was)......and insisted on playing only QB....

And, since he said he DIDNT want to switch positions prior to 2015, who would want him on their roster....???

The only reason he finally relented and opted for WR, was that he was gonna be out of the league.....which, to many, wasnt motivation enough to take the risk...

The Browns took the risk.....developed him over 2 years....then, once he looked like he might have some game, they let him slide away

You do realize he didnt catch a single pass in the 2015 preseason...right?....not a single one(impressive, eh?)

And that, prior to coming to the Browns, he refused to switch positions when asked.....(and he was)......and insisted on playing only QB....

And, since he said he DIDNT want to switch positions prior to 2015, who would want him on their roster....???

The only reason he finally relented and opted for WR, was that he was gonna be out of the league.....which, to many, wasnt motivation enough to take the risk...

The Browns took the risk.....developed him over 2 years....then, once he looked like he might have some game, they let him slide away

I wasn't talking about 2014 when he only wanted to play QB in a league that stopped seeing him as a QB. I was talking about 2015 when he realized the only future he had was at WR.

On this board, the most talked about WR in Training Camp in 2015 was Pryor. Do you really need to pretend otherwise? He had a great camp before he got cut as a WR.

And while I have you wearing your battle armor for the previous regime again - who did we need to make room for when we cut Pryor? The 12 million $ man (Dwayne Bowe) who caught 5 passes for 53 yards in 2015. I know, they only started making mistakes at the WR position in 2016. You've covered that a bunch of times.

...then, once he looked like he might have some game, they let him slide away

Ehhhh.... Rosenhaus helped.

I still ask... how long did they expect us to stand pat while they "shopped"? Once we signed Britt, TP was superfluous...

I still ask... how long did they expect us to stand pat while they "shopped"? Once we signed Britt, TP was superfluous...

Exactly. I started reading another episode of it's this FO's fault Schwartz doesn't want to stay here after the market disappointed him.

And then of course 100% of the blame for our QB situation today conveniently had nothing to do with our 2014 draft - only the rookie year of the new FO (where growing pains/learning curves are suddenly not to be tolerated as of 2016).

I never did hear how much more generous Washington was to Pryor than Cleveland in all this.

It's 1 thing to be disappointed and frustrated with where we were in 2016. To sit here and pretend 100% of all the inherited land mines, veterans wanting out and bare cupboards is entirely the new regime's fault with only 1 offseason/draft/FA period to their name is narrow minded. If you read some guys, they act like this FO hasn't made 1 good move.

A draft cannot be fully/accurately evaluated for about 3 years especially when a lot of the picks were in mid-late rounds. Have we seen the best of Shon Coleman yet? The other Coleman played his best game scoring 2 TDs before he broke his hand and missed the next 6 games before returning to different temporary starting QB.

Some guys are crying like Sashi is pulling their teeth out without novocaine. If they really looked though - the year divine intervention put Khalil Mack (elite edge rusher) and Derek Carr (QB in round 2) on our door step was in 2014. But don't anyone dare to call that regime out under any circumstances on their watch... Think of where we'd be with this draft at this point if we had ANYONE that knew what they were doing in 2014... And for all the temper tantrums about the departures of Schwartz and Mack - they might have actually had a rationale telling them to stay if they didn't witness such an epic round 1 failure perpetuating their sense of needing greener pastures elsewhere. But why recognize everything when we can just blame Sashi for all the things Schwartz and Mack got sick of here. This would have been Mack's 4th FO (Holmgren,Banner,Farmer,Brown) and Schwartz's 3rd so there's way more to this stuff than some are choosing to emphasize.

On this board, the most talked about WR in Training Camp in 2015 was Pryor. Do you really need to pretend otherwise? He had a great camp before he got cut as a WR.

...most talked about?.....pretending otherwise?

I thought you said he had an impressive preseason.....my mistake.....

I remember Josh Lenz being everybodies boy from that camp and Pryor having a hamstring injury the entire time....but I might be wrong(dont think so)

I get the arguments...

Bottom line.....we didnt get it done.....blame the player...blame the FO....whatever....just not getting it done....

Exactly. I started reading another episode of it's this FO's fault Schwartz doesn't want to stay here after the market disappointed him. And then of course 100% of the blame for our QB situation today conveniently had nothing to do with our 2014 draft - only the rookie year of the new FO (where growing pains/learning curves are suddenly not to be tolerated as of 2016).

I never did hear how much more generous Washington was to Pryor than Cleveland in all this.

Washington wasnt more generous....thats the point....we withdrew our offer, which Pryor "probably" would have signed.....

And Im not sure anyone has said todays QB situation wasnt the fault of the 2014 staff......though I see you screaming to give this FO a waiver for year one, while you continue to batter ram Farmer for his year one....seems you're preaching the opposite of what you're implying....

Besides.....Haslam picked Johnny.....we all know it....Pettine finally said it....so, to me, that is 99.9% fact.....

And...even with the complete bust 1st round.....and only 6 picks overall....we still have 2 all-pro level players from that limited draft....So, just to be on par with that, we should expect 4 comparable players from last years draft(just to be equal).....and 5 comparable players to be one pick better.....

Looking forward to that....

IIRC TP signed for less than our offer, but ours was a multi-year, very similar to what Britt inked.

Also heard that initially WSH's offer was very close to ours, but he signed a one-year deal for less money. Basically he is betting on himself to show 2016 was not only not a fluke, but that he is still improving as a WR and his BIG payday will come in the next FA cycle. Can't really blame him for that...

Archived