THE BROWNS BOARD

Finally

WPB Dawg Fan

I guess the speculation about who would do the job was 'partially' correct:

Browns Finally Hire Receivers Coach

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2009, 6:33 p.m.

The Cleveland Browns, despite having at last count 23 receivers on the roster, had been without a coach for that key position.

Until today.

The team annonced that George McDonald has been promoted from offensive quality control coach. He was hired from the University of Minnesota, where he served as receivers coach.

It’s unknown whether the Browns will be hiring a new quality control coach on offense.

McDonald was rumored to 'share' the duty with Dabol, but at least now we know where we are going with this. I wonder if it was just a long tryout/interview before the Browns committed to him.

McDonald was rumored to 'share' the duty with Dabol, but at least now we know where we are going with this. I wonder if it was just a long tryout/interview before the Browns committed to him.

That is what I think. We hired the guy about 90 days ago. It may have been a situation where mangini wanted to see how the guy operated....to see if they could work in partnership.

It's a lot easier to bury some QC coach doing menial stuff, or just let them go...that wouldn't make the news the same way as releasing your WR coach.

I think the plan all along was to put this guy in the position...it was simply a feeling out process.

It was probably that and to see how he handled the rookies at mini-camp.

A little more info on McDonald...kind of seals the idea that he was under a long job interview:

George McDonald named wide receivers coach

by Tony Grossi, Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday May 07, 2009, 7:50 AM

The fastest-rising assistant on Browns coach Eric Mangini's staff is George McDonald. He's already received a promotion.

McDonald was named Browns wide receivers coach Wednesday. He was hired Feb. 11 as offensive quality control coach.

This is McDonald's first job in the NFL. He spent the past two years as receivers coach at the University of Minnesota. Before that, McDonald was receivers coach at Western Michigan, tight ends coach at Stanford and receivers coach at Northern Illinois. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Ball State in 2000.

McDonald played four seasons as a receiver at Illinois. He finished his collegiate career with 59 catches for 589 yards.

McDonald takes over a position being thoroughly overhauled by Mangini.

The Browns used second-round draft choices last month on Brian Robiskie of Ohio State and Mohamed Massaquoi of Georgia. This week, they signed veteran free agent Mike Furrey. They also have added veteran David Patten.

He definitely has experience in the area.

George McDonald named Browns wide receivers coach

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday May 07, 2009, 7:50 AM

George McDonald

The fastest-rising assistant on Browns coach Eric Mangini's staff is George McDonald. He's already received a promotion.

McDonald was named Browns wide receivers coach Wednesday. He was hired Feb. 11 as offensive quality control coach.

This is McDonald's first job in the NFL. He spent the past two years as receivers coach at the University of Minnesota. Before that, McDonald was receivers coach at Western Michigan, tight ends coach at Stanford and receivers coach at Northern Illinois. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Ball State in 2000.

McDonald played four seasons as a receiver at Illinois. He finished his collegiate career with 59 catches for 589 yards.

McDonald takes over a position being thoroughly overhauled by Mangini.

The Browns used second-round draft choices last month on Brian Robiskie of Ohio State and Mohamed Massaquoi of Georgia. This week, they signed veteran free agent Mike Furrey. They also have added veteran David Patten.

I know very little about him but i took to heart during minicamp that he was vigorous and very active he was all over the place...more like a dirty hands assistant than a qc guy...i like his apparent work ethic! ;)

Archived