THE BROWNS BOARD

SPARQ Ratings

CaineDeSoulis

The SPARQ for the 2017 draft class is up. as you guys know we drafted quite a few players that were near the tops of these lists so look closely at the top 5 in all spots and i can pretty much guarantee that were going to get more than one of them before the start of next season. I'll start with QB's

"Note that the “NFL%” and “z-score” columns refer to the NFL positional averages and not to the draft positional averages. This means that a 0.0 z-score and 50.0 percentile would represent a player who rates as a league-average NFL athlete at the position. The average NFL player is pretty athletic, so this designation is not at all a poor result."

1. Trevor Knight NFL% 96.2

2. Josh Dobbs NFL% 87.9
3. Deshaun Watson NFL% 81.4
4. Davis Webb NFL% 79.4
5. Mitch Leidner NFL% 75.3
6. Pat Mahomes NFL% 68.3
7. Mitchell Trubisky NFL% 63.5

8. Nathan Peterman NFL% 48.2

9. Jerrod Evans NFL% 33.8
10. De Shone Kizer NFL% 29.0

For Comparison sake I'll add a few other QB

Carson Wentz 81.4
Paxton Lynch 81.7
Jared Goff 26.0
Jameis Winston 20.0
Marcus Mariota 96.0

Cody Kessler 34.3

Couple other points of note is that for the most part RB's generally speaking sucked this year. Only 8 showing to be above NFL Average compared to 14 in 2016.

List of players that were in the top 10 of these lists that we drafted last year or sign as FA
Corey Coleman,Ricardo Louis,Seth Devalve,Dan Vitale,Darius Jackson,Anthony Fabiano,Ogbah

Honorable Mention to Kindred (24th)

TE Class athletically are as good as advertised but Seth Devalve scored higher than anyone in both classes to his credit he has the highest recorded score for a TE period.

OL for 2017 looks to be awful athletically especially if compared to 2016.

Defensive Lineman look to be awful in 2017 when compared to 2016.

EDGE Looks to be quite a bit better in 2017 than in 2016 and that is without Myles Garrett in the mix.

Off-LOS LB looks to be a poor year to draft backers.

CB Has a Few standouts and it will be a good year to draft some. Kevin King posted an nfl score of 99.3% making him one of the top 5 most athletic corners in the nfl. Great Year for corners.

S 2017 is looking comparable to 2016 as far as S is concerned

Interesting numbers will be nice to see how close to them the teams actually draft their players.

The NFL Draft is one of the ultimate meat markets.

Kessler was 34.3%

We also have 2 of the top 5 running backs from last year (4) Dan Vitale 96.6% & (5) Darius Jackson 96.2% and just for comparison sake (42) Ezekiel Elliott was at 45.7%

"50.0 percentile would represent a player who rates as a league-average NFL athlete at the position"

From this year running backs Davlin Cook at 9%

I would put SPARQ at 100% in the complete trash rating

Kessler was 34.3%

We also have 2 of the top 5 running backs from last year (4) Dan Vitale 96.6% & (5) Darius Jackson 96.2% and just for comparison sake (42) Ezekiel Elliott was at 45.7%

"50.0 percentile would represent a player who rates as a league-average NFL athlete at the position"

From this year running backs Davlin Cook at 9%

I would put SPARQ at 100% in the complete trash rating

whats so hard to believe about Ezekiel Elliot being a slightly below average athlete at the RB position? i didnt think it needed mentioning but these ratings only determine how athletic an athlete is compared to the nfl and is not a measure of guaranteed success but a way of looking at potential. the rating also can't show who knows HOW to use their talents and who does NOT know how to use them. Merely that the talent may be there if a coach can develop it.

And because of his poor SPARQ rating and performance in the combine his stock is not a top 10 pick but of a mid to late round 1 pick if round 1 at all.

No RB has ever been selected in round one with that low of a SPARQ.

whats so hard to believe about Ezekiel Elliot being a slightly below average athlete at the RB position? i didnt think it needed mentioning but these ratings only determine how athletic an athlete is compared to the nfl and is not a measure of guaranteed success but a way of looking at potential. the rating also can't show who knows HOW to use their talents and who does NOT know how to use them. Merely that the talent may be there if a coach can develop it.

And because of his poor SPARQ rating and performance in the combine his stock is not a top 10 pick but of a mid to late round 1 pick if round 1 at all.

No RB has ever been selected in round one with that low of a SPARQ.

Thank you for confirming the SPARQ is 100% complete trash

Confirming my belief we'all be taking Josh Dobbs.

I'd rather take this guy after round 1 than any QB in round 1. Where I live - Tennessee is on TV every week so I've seen a lot of progress from the QB that offered enough promise to entice Nathan Peterman to transfer out (now a draft prospect with a proud resume at Pitt).

His 4 year body of work looks like this:

2013 5 games 695 yds 5.7 ypa 59.5 cmp% 2 TD 6 INT

2014 6 games 1206 yds 6.8 ypa 68.3 cmp% 9 TD 6 INT

2015 13 games 2291 yds 6.7 ypa 59.6 cmp% 15 TD 5 INT

2016 13 games 2946 yds 8.3 ypa 63.0 cmp % 27 TD 12 INT

4.0 GPA

I'd rather take this guy after round 1 than any QB in round 1. Where I live - Tennessee is on TV every week so I've seen a lot of progress from the QB that offered enough promise to entice Nathan Peterman to transfer out (now a draft prospect with a proud resume at Pitt).

His 4 year body of work looks like this:

2013 5 games 695 yds 5.7 ypa 59.5 cmp% 2 TD 6 INT

2014 6 games 1206 yds 6.8 ypa 68.3 cmp% 9 TD 6 INT

2015 13 games 2291 yds 6.7 ypa 59.6 cmp% 15 TD 5 INT

2016 13 games 2946 yds 8.3 ypa 63.0 cmp % 27 TD 12 INT

4.0 GPA

PITT football and their new coach certainly have the program on an upswing again.

Plus the real test of recruiting and drafting has always been telling the differences between a good player on a good team/program and the better player on a bad team without the gaudy stats.

Makes the NFL Draft the great crap shoot that it is and we love, well better if your team does well. ;)

Absolutely True McCown was an insane athlete at the QB spot. he was drafted in the 3rd round and had more interceptions in his college career than TD and had a comp of 51%

ding ding ding winner! Sparq to me seems like IQ. More of a measure of potential than anything. If you can match high Sparq with someone who's demonstrated they can apply their gifts bingo.

I've told friends for some time that Trevor Knight should be added to some team's PS to be developed as a SS. Size, speed, athleticism, toughness and very high drive to succeed. I might even consider taking him as a S.T. player in the 53 while he learns the SS position.

PITT football and their new coach certainly have the program on an upswing again.

Plus the real test of recruiting and drafting has always been telling the differences between a good player on a good team/program and the better player on a bad team without the gaudy stats.

Makes the NFL Draft the great crap shoot that it is and we love, well better if your team does well. ;)

Good point! Pitt was the only team that beat Clemson by a score of 43-42, which could have sparked their recruiting even more.

Nebraska QBs used to only go into the pros as safeties. None of them set the world on fire but Scott Frost got a 5 year or so career out of it.

After that, he eventually worked his way into an Offensive Coordinator position at the University of Oregon before the University of Central Florida hired him as their Head Coach presently. Leadership skills sometimes transfer from offense to defense to coaching...

After that, he eventually worked his way into an Offensive Coordinator position at the University of Oregon before the University of Central Florida hired him as their Head Coach presently. Leadership skills sometimes transfer from offense to defense to coaching...

My buddy lives in Orlando and is excited about what Frost is doing with UCF.

Nebraska QBs used to only go into the pros as safeties. None of them set the world on fire but Scott Frost got a 5 year or so career out of it.

Ok throw "nowadays" to the beginning of my previous statement.

Just because it doesn't happen often does not mean it can't happen. Every now and then a John Lynch shows up. He started out in football as a QB, but eventually converted to SS.

And as for nowadays retirement only 10 years ago is close enough to qualify.War will eventually see that when he approaches oh 40-50 or so. ;)

The SPARQ for the 2017 draft class is up. as you guys know we drafted quite a few players that were near the tops of these lists so look closely at the top 5 in all spots and i can pretty much guarantee that were going to get more than one of them before the start of next season. I'll start with QB's

"Note that the “NFL%” and “z-score” columns refer to the NFL positional averages and not to the draft positional averages. This means that a 0.0 z-score and 50.0 percentile would represent a player who rates as a league-average NFL athlete at the position. The average NFL player is pretty athletic, so this designation is not at all a poor result."

1. Trevor Knight NFL% 96.2

2. Josh Dobbs NFL% 87.9

3. Deshaun Watson NFL% 81.4

4. Davis Webb NFL% 79.4

5. Mitch Leidner NFL% 75.3

6. Pat Mahomes NFL% 68.3

7. Mitchell Trubisky NFL% 63.5

8. Nathan Peterman NFL% 48.2

9. Jerrod Evans NFL% 33.8

10. De Shone Kizer NFL% 29.0

For Comparison sake I'll add a few other QB

Carson Wentz 81.4

Paxton Lynch 81.7

Jared Goff 26.0

Jameis Winston 20.0

Marcus Mariota 96.0

Cody Kessler 34.3

Couple other points of note is that for the most part RB's generally speaking sucked this year. Only 8 showing to be above NFL Average compared to 14 in 2016.

List of players that were in the top 10 of these lists that we drafted last year or sign as FA

Corey Coleman,Ricardo Louis,Seth Devalve,Dan Vitale,Darius Jackson,Anthony Fabiano,Ogbah

Honorable Mention to Kindred (24th)

TE Class athletically are as good as advertised but Seth Devalve scored higher than anyone in both classes to his credit he has the highest recorded score for a TE period.

OL for 2017 looks to be awful athletically especially if compared to 2016.

Defensive Lineman look to be awful in 2017 when compared to 2016.

EDGE Looks to be quite a bit better in 2017 than in 2016 and that is without Myles Garrett in the mix.

Off-LOS LB looks to be a poor year to draft backers.

CB Has a Few standouts and it will be a good year to draft some. Kevin King posted an nfl score of 99.3% making him one of the top 5 most athletic corners in the nfl. Great Year for corners.

S 2017 is looking comparable to 2016 as far as S is concerned

All sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Archived