THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Draft Central... The Pro's

Tour2ma

Speaking of Fournette and 12...

It's reported that he's shed 12# between his Pro-Day and his round of team visits...

Between the combine and pro-days.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rb-leonard-fournette-shows-lsu-pro-day-surprisingly-light-following-nfl-combine-140318356.html

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a related note.. Kiper raised our 2016 draft grade. All the way from "C" to "C+"...

... so we've got that going for us.

Browns draft class gets boost in Mel Kiper Jr. re-grade

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Browns-draft-class-gets-boost-in-Mel-Kiper-Jr-re-grade-52169421

Mel's and Todd's dueling V4.0's are out. Can't say I am crazy about either... but I like Todd's less.

Mel Kiper & Todd McShay complete dueling two-round mock drafts for Browns

by Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature Apr 6, 2017, 6:01pm EDT

In the past, we’ve seen Todd McShay and Mel Kiper of ESPN collaborate on a three-round mock draft together. This year, instead of posting their “Mock Draft, version 4.0” mocks separately, they decided to combine them into one post so readers could better compare and contrast the drafts.

Each person did a two-round mock draft. The results are below:

Mel Kiper

No. 1 Overall: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M | No change at the top. Garrett is the best pass-rusher in a class full of them. He's a rare talent and a physical freak (4.64 40-yard dash and 41-inch vertical at 6-foot-4, 272 pounds), and he also produces on the field (32.5 sacks in three seasons).

No. 12 Overall: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson | One of Trubisky and Watson will probably be available here at No. 12; can the Browns really pass on another potential franchise quarterback? They're getting this pick from last year's trade that netted the Eagles Carson Wentz, who flashed Pro Bowl potential as a rookie. Watson is certainly more experienced than Trubisky, and he's used to the bright lights that will shine on him on Day 1 in Cleveland.

No. 33 Overall: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma | The Browns still have several needs. They could keep an eye on the pass-rushers and cornerbacks here, in particular, but I'm going with the dynamic Mixon, who could sneak into the first round. He has off-field issues and won't be on the draft boards for every team, but he's a tremendous talent. He had 65 catches and nine receiving touchdowns the past two seasons.

No. 52 Overall: Marcus Maye, S, Florida | So that makes a defensive end, quarterback, running back and safety as four of the Browns' picks in the first two rounds. Maye broke his arm in November and played in only nine games, but he's an explosive defender. He forced five fumbles in 2015.

Kiper has had Garrett going to the Browns in all three of his mock drafts at No. 1 overall. This is the first time he had Watson going to the Browns — previous mocks had RB Dalvin Cook, CB Tre'Davious White, and QB Mitch Trubisky going to Cleveland at No. 12.

Todd McShay

No. 1 Overall: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M | Yeah, there's no reason to overthink this, Cleveland. Take the clear-cut best player in this draft.

No. 12 Overall: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama | The Browns got an up-close look at Howard in January, coaching the star TE at the Senior Bowl. Trubisky would obviously be an option if the board fell this way, but at the moment I'm just not getting a strong QB vibe from the Browns, though it's still early. Selecting Howard would allow Cleveland to continue to develop its roster until it can find the QB it wants.

No. 33 Overall: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame | Kizer is not a finished product, but this would be a long-term play for the Browns and coach Hue Jackson. Kizer has an enticing physical skill set, including elite arm strength; his mechanics still need some work, though.

No. 52 Overall: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC | Smith-Schuster played a ton of football at USC (39 starts), finishing his career with 213 catches for 3,092 yards and 25 TDs. With 4.54 speed, he doesn't profile as a deep threat in the NFL, but Smith-Schuster has solid size (6-1, 215) and reliable hands.

McShay has had Garrett going to the Browns in his previous two mock drafts at No. 1 overall (his first one had Jonathan Allen). This is the first time he had Howard going to the Browns — previous mocks had OLB Takkarist McKinley, QB Mitch Trubisky, and QB Deshaun Watson going to Cleveland at No. 12.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/4/6/15211730/mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-complete-dueling-two-round-mock-drafts-for-browns

In a related note.. Kiper raised our 2016 draft grade. All the way from "C" to "C+"...

... so we've got that going for us.

Browns draft class gets boost in Mel Kiper Jr. re-grade

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Browns-draft-class-gets-boost-in-Mel-Kiper-Jr-re-grade-52169421

I read that headline and didn't even click on the link. I thought to myself, "How in the world would it get a better grade unless our original grade was awful to begin with, and it was raised only slightly?" Yep, I was dead on. Coleman has MUCH to prove (although far from bust status at THIS point), the other three WR's showed virtually NOTHING, and I struggle to think of anyone other than Ogbah that even made a real impact. It takes a couple of years to accurately grade a draft, but I have to say...right now it doesn't look good. Like...at all.

I read that headline and didn't even click on the link. I thought to myself, "How in the world would it get a better grade unless our original grade was awful to begin with, and it was raised only slightly?" Yep, I was dead on. Coleman has MUCH to prove (although far from bust status at THIS point), the other three WR's showed virtually NOTHING, and I struggle to think of anyone other than Ogbah that even made a real impact. It takes a couple of years to accurately grade a draft, but I have to say...right now it doesn't look good. Like...at all.

Q the Mudman. ;)

Coleman has MUCH to prove (although far from bust status at THIS point), the other three WR's showed virtually NOTHING, and I struggle to think of anyone other than Ogbah that even made a real impact. It takes a couple of years to accurately grade a draft, but I have to say...right now it doesn't look good. Like...at all.

Was gonna reply....but you said it well.....(spot on)

Q the Mudman. ;)

Who's Q and why is he the mudman?

The closer it gets the clearer it seems the teams like this QB class a lot more than fans and "draft scouts"

Teams know the importance of the position and obviously put a premium on it.

As I said before "draft scouts" make mock drafts based on their own personal opinions...not on how they think each team will act. "X player in my opinion should only be a second round pick" so in their mock they make him a 2d round pick....notwithstanding the fact that certain teams desperately need that kind of player and are likely to take them in the much earlier portion of the process.

Last year, many "draft scouts" had both Wentz and Goff as second round talents. Now refresh my memory...where did those two players get drafted?

.. or QBs are just the best material with which to troll for tradedowns.

Both McShay and Mark Dominik were on NFL Insiders agreeing on how teams with the greatest number of needs, like SF, should be eager to trade into the depth that will be there in rounds two and three... accumulating picks along the way.

Both also agree that the top half of the 1st round is too high for any QB in this draft, but neither would be surprised if a team takes one that high... and moves up to do it.

And one last agreement... Dominik remarked that this draft had more franchise changing potential than any in recent years... and that is due to its depth. McShay agreed.

OK... one more... both agreed we have to take MG at #1...

Cleveland.com has a summary article on the week's major mocks...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_mock_draft_2017_roundup_br_2.html

All have MG at # 1...

• DJ has WR Corey Davis at 12.
  • SI's Burke, who still has Trubs at 12, is now hedging with an unnamed CB as a "Plan B" at 12.
  • Kiper has switched from Trubs to Watson.
  • McShay has switched from Watson to OJH with Kizer at 33.
  • CBS' Brugler has OJH at 12.
  • Three other CBS'ers have Trubs at 12.

Reports out of Houston after Mahomes worked out for them are that O'Brien has a new love...

Reports out of Houston after Mahomes worked out for them are that O'Brien has a new love...

They'll need to move up then as he'll be gone by the time they're picking...potential trade down from 12?

They'll need to move up then as he'll be gone by the time they're picking...potential trade down from 12?

What extra picks would that get us ?

What extra picks would that get us ?

If we're smart (dubious) we will first see who is sitting there before making a trade down again this year. Did the FO learn anything from that last year?

I'm taking the call regardless, out of courtesy, but as long as one of my "impact guys" is there, then the person on the other end of the line will hear, "No thank you, we have a player we like here."

PFF is (was) doing a live mock today on twitter (so D-bone couldn't see it...):

1.01 MG

1.12 Mahomes

2.01 Sidney Jones

2.20 Marcus Williams.

PFF is (was) doing a live mock today on twitter (so D-bone couldn't see it...):

1.01 MG

1.12 Mahomes

2.01 Sidney Jones

2.20 Marcus Williams.

Not sure I like the Mahomes pick (If he goes at 12...it means that 3 other QBs I think have gone off the board in front of him)

nor the Jones pick. Too great of injury concerns.

If Jamal Adams goes #17 & OJ Howard goes #22 I will wash your car for a month. :o.Far to many head injuries Collinsworth, but please get Health Evans off my TV..Heath gets my all time asshat award yearly

I don't like that move for that player at 5.

I'm sure the Titans would love it. Get their WR without overdrafting him plus 2.20 and a 4th.

Fine here, but made for Gip's "Actual..." thread...

See you there...

Archived