THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Draft Central... The Pro's

Tour2ma

And in other "news".... the Browns talked to 21 other teams about their interest in trading up.

It's called due diligence...

Mud, Mud, Mud... I'm disappointed... but out of respect I did not say "due fucking diligence"... ;)

I understand due diligence.....not sure that every team makes those calls tho.....I get it and pray to heaven above that is all it is.....

Really just running out of things to talk about, so figured this would be good fodder......it was a 2 hour topic on Redzone last night too....and I trust Jim Donovan to not be too sensational with the things he presents

Of course.....if it happens.....I do not want hear how amazing that plan was..... ;)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And in other "news".... the Browns talked to 21 other teams about their interest in trading up.

It's called due diligence...

Mud, Mud, Mud... I'm disappointed... but out of respect I did not say "due fucking diligence"... ;)

Sounds good in theory as long as it does not turn into, "due to their fucking stupidity" the Browns give away the moon and trade up for..............

Peter King's final mock is out...

Peter King’s Mock Draft: Expect Weirdness

The Browns finally spend some draft capital and get two top names? Which playoff team has a QB fall into its lap? And who will make the big moves and pull off the big surprises? In projecting the first round, it’s best to realize that, like the draft itself, it’s mostly a crapshoot

The best way to think about the weirdness of this draft is this: There’s a gulf between the first player on the vast majority of NFL boards—Texas A&M pass-rusher Myles Garrett—and the second player on those boards. And there is no consensus on who that second player is. That’s why this mock draft will probably be like every other one in the mediasphere before Thursday night: wrong.

Giving it our best shot here, on the eve of the 2017 draft. Notes: I don’t have Dalvin Cook in the first round because teams are worried about him off the field, but he certainly could go between 15 and 32 … I really wanted to put Davis Webb late in the round, because there is buzz on the Cal quarterback for his play and his leadership, and he may go 32 to a team wanting the fifth-year option on a quarterback … Seattle (26) and New Orleans (32) would love to move down to pick up an extra third-round selection … Florida linebacker Jarrad Davis is gaining loads of steam in the last few days, and it’s pretty solid he’ll be a first-rounder now.

The mock:
1. CLEVELAND
Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Getting serious about picking the best player, and not just a Hail Mary QB, at No. 1.
2. SAN FRANCISCO
Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
Niners could go in four or five directions—Garrett if Browns pass. Would love to deal down.
3. CHICAGO
Jamal Adams, S, LSU
Bears also big Solomon Thomas fans but will be happy with generational safety.
4. JACKSONVILLE
Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
Jags’ needs (T, QB) do not match this draft. Watch for Deshaun Watson here too.
5. TENNESSEE
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
The Titans will be in play to trade down. In fact, most every team in top 10 is too.
6. CLEVELAND (from N.Y. Jets)
Browns trade 12th, 33rd and 181st picks for No. 6 overall.
Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
Could divide the building, but owner hired DePodesta to make ballsy calls like this.

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/24/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king-qb-first-round-trades

Gotta add that the Mike & Mike show spent at least an hour on this very topic this morning...IE: the Browns and moving up for a QB.....so, imho, when a national show and all the local shows and a TV show all make this their #1 topic....it's more than due diligence....

Just my take....

haha what nonsense, Podesta is NOT there to make picks. The media are so out the loop with Cleveand it's ridiculous, they dont have the first clue.

Seriously?....who do you think is the main influence and most trusted resource when making the picks?......

I know Shashi is the bottom line or tie breaker dude.....but has zero football knowledge.....so who's top talent guy or direction setter?

It's either Berry or Depo.....and I think Depo probably has the tools designed to over ride Berrys(and scouts) personal opinions....(I think)....

Chief Strategy Officer sounds pretty important.....

Seriously?....who do you think is the main influence and most trusted resource when making the picks?......

I know Shashi is the bottom line or tie breaker dude.....but has zero football knowledge.....so who's top talent guy or direction setter?

It's either Berry or Depo.....and I think Depo probably has the tools designed to over ride Berrys(and scouts) personal opinions....(I think)....

Chief Strategy Officer sounds pretty important.....

Yes he is the strategy officer in how the club runs itself, he is not a football guy, he sets the football guys up in how it all runs. Strategy means how the organisation strategises top to bottom, not making picks that make those underneath him redundant

Yes he is the strategy officer in how the club runs itself, he is not a football guy, he sets the football guys up in how it all runs. Strategy means how the organisation strategises top to bottom, not making picks that make those underneath him redundant

Hate to tell ya....but he's their primary personnel numbers guy....the analytic man....the one who decides what #'s to crunch and what trends show up with players....his job is 100% player evaluation and has no organizational responsibility...(that organizational stuff is for Jimmy, Dee and Shashi to do)

Curious who you think the "football guy" is who is making the picks?....( & please dont say Shashi is an evaluator or football personnel guy)

Hate to tell ya....but he's their primary personnel numbers guy....the analytic man....the one who decides what #'s to crunch and what trends show up with players....

Then you did not watch the interview he had on camera the other week, that is NOT what he is. He sets up the personnel in the organisation to do what you think he does, HE IS NOT PICKING PLAYERS.

Curious who you think the "football guy" is who is making the picks?....( & please dont say Shashi is an evaluator or football personnel guy)

The fallacy in the NFL that a GM makes all the picks is the issue here, do you think Jerry Jones is sitting watching tape every day for 10 months? Every team has a number of scouts, they report to others, in our case it's numbers guys (as it is in a lot more other teams than people care to admit). All those things come together along with the head coach and co-ordinators to see where thet want to go. The idea that one guy is making all the picks is such nonsense, it's a lazy concept from outside the game.

So...who do you think this is?.....you didnt answer the first time...^^^^^^^^^^^^....who provides the most data....and decides what data to provide.....and who's data is the most influential in the war room???

You get1 guess.....and it starts with a D....

Then you did not watch the interview he had on camera the other week, that is NOT what he is. He sets up the personnel in the organisation to do what you think he does, HE IS NOT PICKING PLAYERS.

I dont need to watch the interview.....I already know what his job is....and you misunderstoodd what he said.....he runs the analytics...the #'s part.....not the organization itself.....and yes, people work for him. He's the boss......just like the Director of Scouting has scouts, etc....depo has # crunchers

The fallacy in the NFL that a GM makes all the picks is the issue here, do you think Jerry Jones is sitting watching tape every day for 10 months? Every team has a number of scouts, they report to others, in our case it's numbers guys (as it is in a lot more other teams than people care to admit). All those things come together along with the head coach and co-ordinators to see where thet want to go. The idea that one guy is making all the picks is such nonsense, it's a lazy concept from outside the game.

Thats a silly premise that people think Jerry Jones or any GM watch all the film, scout all the players and make all the decisions.....and Ive never heard of anyone who even thinks that.....of course there are many many people compiling data and feeding it to the higher ups(every team has a personnel DEPT, not person).....its who's doing what with the data that matters.....and MORE IMPORTANTLY, who decides "what data" matters most....and that guy is Depo....

But, in any org there is still one person being the bottom line...in every organization. It is usually the GM.....here, it is supposed to be different, and the Browns prefer a consensus, but Shashi IS the bottom line....one man...and the primary resource for the information is the scouting Dept, which scouts players....and, with the Browns, analytics have been pushed to the forefront as a means of finding talent and scouting opponents....and Depo is the one who set that up and runs it....and he reports to Shahsi and he/shashi/hue talk....then Shashi turns in the card....

I did answer it, it's never one person, which you first disagreed with and then you seemed to agree with. So I'm confused.

I guess we will have to disagree on how the organisation is run but one things for sure, neither of us really know :)

I did answer it, it's never one person, which you first disagreed with and then you seemed to agree with. So I'm confused.

I guess we will have to disagree on how the organisation is run but one things for sure, neither of us really know :)

Except I ask who the most trusted resource was...the "main influence".....

Or do you think every one in the whole dept is equal....and all data is treated the same?.....no matter who aor where it came from?

I think your avoiding a few obvious things that have to be true...

1) The Browns hired Depo to change how we look at talent and are relying on him to provide key information in PERSONNEL evaluations...

2) The Browns dont have an experienced "football guy" anywhere near the top of this decision process(It's Hue, btw)...

3) In the eventuality that all these people cant agree, SOMEONE is making the pick.....thats Shashi.....

And the 3 primary people evaluating all the data are Shashi(a lawyer with zero personnel experience)....Depo(a baseball guy)......and Hue(an Ok coach)....

1) I disagree. I think that's Sashis job. Depo's job is the structure of all the evaluating staff and how it works.

2) The scouts are part of it especially Vega and so is Hue yes.

3) Someone has to physically call the pick in but it's never one person making the choice.

4) No, it is a combo of numbers, scout reports and what the coaches want as fits.

Here is Depos resume prior to coming to Cleve....

Scout

Advance Scout

Asst To General Manager

Asst General Manager

General Manager

Exec Vice Pres

Vice Pres of Scouting and Player Development

I see a common thread here....."personnel evaluation"...

1) I disagree. I think that's Sashis job. Depo's job is the structure of all the evaluating staff and how it works.

2) The scouts are part of it especially Vega and so is Hue yes.

3) Someone has to physically call the pick in but it's never one person making the choice.

4) No, it is a combo of numbers, scout reports and what the coaches want as fits.

What if they cant all agree.....who makes the pick then?

What if they cant all agree.....who makes the pick then?

In what top table of any business does everyone all agree from the start? Conversations are had, research is done and a consensus is reached. It's no different in a war room.

In what top table of any business does everyone all agree from the start? Conversations are had, research is done and a consensus is reached. It's no different in a war room.

Nowhere....and thats my point....

I also have been top guy a several businesses for the last 25 years....and am, (seriously now) the GM(of all things) at a large production facility.....

I have a Sales Manager....production manager....receiving manager....parts manager.....and a service manager....and they all have another 40 some people working for them....and the data trickles up.....to me

By the time I get it, it has been trimmed by those managers, who may or may not chose what info to give me....and I have that to work with...

And we have many many discussions and meetings.....and disagreements.....and in the end, I have the option of making a decision or not.....I might allow them to decide....I might over rule their choices.....I may take a vote and go with the concensus.....

But, in every situation, what is very clear is that(like you said) people dont always agree....and groups rarely agree(whole heartedly).....and in those most common situations. someone WILL make the choice.....and this is how "most" of the business world operates....football or otherwise.....and there are very very very few companies that are legitimately run by consensus groups...

I know what you're saying and in that case my guess is it's Sashi. I'm confident it's not Depo, I am worried it could be Haslam(s)...

Great....I appreciate the understanding,,,,,and really am not trying to be a dick or argue......but lets go one more step...

Shashi isnt a football guy, but he is the point guy....so in a dilemma, he's going to his "managers" and asking them for their best opinions on certain players, trades, etc.....

Those "go to" guys are gonna be Berry(scouting guy).....Depo(analytic - strategy guy)....Hue (coach with needs)....

And, as much as we wish the 3 were equal, they are not......so Shashi is gonna have a right hand man....the One he relies on most.....and that guy is??.............Depo...

My guess?.....the 4(or more) meet and talk regularly....but in the bitter end.....when it's game time....Shashi and Depo huddle up and make the tough choices....Examples...critical choices not related to talent would exclude scouts(character, PR, etc)......Hue would and should have an agenda and his opinions will be a bit more biased(and not a scout and not watching the tape, so he can only offer minimal generalities anyway...he has no way to rate college players, cause hes coaching...not scouting)....so his imput is way less(more about need and not about who)....and Shashi doesnt watch tape either....he's not a scout OR a football guy.....

Which leaves one key guy.....and that guy is?......Depo...

So.....he is extremely influential....and I think can influence Shashi, because Shashi hired him to do just that.....and if Depo really wanted to, I think...YES....he could get Shashi to make any pick he deems to be "the one"....

And...in the end.....Shashi has the power and CAN make the pick....but he's dependent on these guys to get him there....with Depo leading the way....

I know what you're saying and in that case my guess is it's Sashi. I'm confident it's not Depo, I am worried it could be Haslam(s)...

Who's primary scout for QBs is the homeless guy, "Jump up for Trubs!"

Mud...

IT'S A CONSENSUS PROCESS!

You persist in trying to decide who's "the decider" in 50/50 cases... who wins if he's the "51" in a 51/49 split. And the answer is NO ONE.

That guy does not exist... thus he cannot be named.

Greg Cosell does his by what he feels are scheme fits and players he likes on tape

Cle - Garrett

SF - Fournette

Chi - Hooker

Jax - OJ Howard

Ten - Corey Davis

NYJ - Adams

LAC - Foster

Car - McCaffrey

Cin - Taco Charlton

Buf - Jon Allen

NO - Charles Harris

Cle - Barnett (odd choice after MG at #1 but thinks good fit for Greg Williams)

Ari - Sol Thomas

Phi - Mike Williams

Ind - Takk McKinley

Bal - Reddick

Was - Dalvin Cook

Ten - Lattimore

TB - N'joku

Den - Ramcyzk

Det - Tre White

Mia - Lamp

NYG - Bolles

Oak - Jarrad Davis

Hou - Cam Robinson

Sea - Malik McDowell

KC - Conley

Dal - Kevin King

GB - TJ Watt

Pit - Marlon Humphrey

Atl - Engram

Barnett and Garrett could be interesting.

But what will we do for the rest of a team? This would mean that we would have used a #2 and #3 last year, and 2 #1s this year just on DEs.

OK, sure, I am all for having a Fearsome Foursome/Doomsday/Purple People Eater/Steel Curtain type defense on this team...but who is going to play the rest of the spots?

Mud...

IT'S A CONSENSUS PROCESS!

You persist in trying to decide who's "the decider" in 50/50 cases... who wins if he's the "51" in a 51/49 split. And the answer is NO ONE.

That guy does not exist... thus he cannot be named.

Ha!...he exists.....So, today the Browns announced they have settled, with certainty, on the guy at #1.....and Hue then came out and said he is not privy to who that might be...

Interesting.....rings in my memory banks from the preseason when they were making cuts w/o Hue's knowledge....So, based upon his words today, he must not be part of that consensus....if they have decided and he doesnt know who....correct?

The group of 4 is now 3......Shashi, Berry and Depo......with Hue waiting and wondering like the rest of us, I guess....

Ha!...he exists.....So, today the Browns announced they have settled, with certainty, on the guy at #1.....and Hue then came out and said he is not privy to who that might be...

Interesting.....rings in my memory banks from the preseason when they were making cuts w/o Hue's knowledge....So, based upon his words today, he must not be part of that consensus....if they have decided and he doesnt know who....correct?

The group of 4 is now 3......Shashi, Berry and Depo......with Hue waiting and wondering like the rest of us, I guess....

If we jump for the QB, it was only Haslem.

If we jump for the QB, it was only Haslem.

And I think were jumping too......I know everyone thinks its "due diligence, etc".....but I think were jumping......

And....possibly(maybe?).....for ........Watson.........hahahahaha.....

I know.....save your energy..........Ive gone insane...

Archived