THE BROWNS BOARD

Gruden QB Camp

Tour2ma

• 2 weeks later...

Been nibbling away at the DVR inventory... three down and three to go...

First watched Watson's...

• kid has presence, great life story
  • easily handled all Gruden's Q&A, solid at the board
  • a couple hiccups on the field, nothing major
  • bit of a "mumble mouth", will need some work on his diction, reddit pointed out could be attributable to his Mom's tongue cancer surgery years ago.
  • Gruden's gush of the season so far, "I want this kid on my team. I want him in my family."

Came away feeling pretty positive...

Next up was Trubs...

• No real disappointments, came off a bit "goofy" in the Q&A. No explanation for bad start vs. Stanford.
  • Physically the most imposing of the three so far... big square head, big neck.
  • On field was good, but Gruden did not throw much at him and...
  • ... soft-peddled "endorsement" of "will go somewhere in the 1st round."

Came away feeling unmoved...

Last nite watched Kizer's... and he blew me away.

• Presence to burn... just the kind of quiet confidence that speaks volumes. Comfortable in his skin... knows what he is about.
  • Nailed the Q&A... was a wind -up doll... from simple opening question about a ND play he expanded on every aspect of it with no prompting whatsoever with no filler... all meat of the matter...
  • Killed it on the field. Gruden threw more at him than any QB camper I can recall. Had him run a two-minute drill in which Gruden shouted out coverages and shifts requiring Kizer to audible. Big plus that Kizer spent the drill under center... and he looked great.
  • Closing remarks were not as gushing as Watson's, but Kizer lacked his backstory. That said there's little doubt that Kizer's football IQ impressed Chuckie...

While I still don't like his release, I think I have a new QB atop my board... and potentially late in R1? Love his value there...

Mahomes, Dobbs and Kaaya to go...

Been nibbling away at the DVR inventory... three down and three to go...

First watched Watson's...

• kid has presence, great life story
  • easily handled all Gruden's Q&A, solid at the board
  • a couple hiccups on the field, nothing major
  • bit of a "mumble mouth", will need some work on his diction, reddit pointed out could be attributable to his Mom's tongue cancer surgery years ago.
  • Gruden's gush of the season so far, "I want this kid on my team. I want him in my family."
Came away feeling pretty positive...

Next up was Trubs...

• No real disappointments, came off a bit "goofy" in the Q&A. No explanation for bad start vs. Stanford.
  • Physically the most imposing of the three so far... big square head, big neck.
  • On field was good, but Gruden did not throw much at him and...
  • ... soft-peddled "endorsement" of "will go somewhere in the 1st round."
Came away feeling unmoved...

• Presence to burn... just the kind of quiet confidence that speaks volumes. Comfortable in his skin... knows what he is about.
  • Nailed the Q&A... was a wind -up doll... from simple opening question about a ND play he expanded on every aspect of it with no prompting whatsoever with no filler... all meat of the matter...
  • Killed it on the field. Gruden threw more at him than any QB camper I can recall. Had him run a two-minute drill in which Gruden shouted out coverages and shifts requiring Kizer to audible. Big plus that Kizer spent the drill under center... and he looked great.
  • Closing remarks were not as gushing as Watson's, but Kizer lacked his backstory. That said there's little doubt that Kizer's football IQ impressed Chuckie...
While I still don't like his release, I think I have a new QB atop my board... and potentially late in R1? Love his value there...

Mahomes, Dobbs and Kaaya to go...

Thanks for the analysis. I saw the highlights from Kizer's episode and felt the same way. He just has a presence that makes you want him on your team. Similar quiet confidence that Russell Wilson and Prescott had when they were on Gruden's QB Camp.

I haven't seen any full episodes except for Kaaya. Seems to lack confidence in himself. Seemed unsure of his answers, looks down when talking. However, was very impressed with his IQ and his crazy work ethic in terms of studying film. Interested to see your analysis of him

Yeah I'm all for Kizer late round one, hadn't seen the camp so thanks for the analysis. Re his release this seems to stem from his days as a baseball pitcher? Can it be corrected?

Thanks for the analysis. I saw the highlights from Kizer's episode and felt the same way. He just has a presence that makes you want him on your team. Similar quiet confidence that Russell Wilson and Prescott had when they were on Gruden's QB Camp.

I haven't seen any full episodes except for Kaaya. Seems to lack confidence in himself. Seemed unsure of his answers, looks down when talking. However, was very impressed with his IQ and his crazy work ethic in terms of studying film. Interested to see your analysis of him

You are welcome... just my takes. All are welcome...

Yeah I'm all for Kizer late round one, hadn't seen the camp so thanks for the analysis. Re his release this seems to stem from his days as a baseball pitcher? Can it be corrected?

Doubtful... but...

It looked a little less long than game tape I'd seen, but he wasn't throwing as deep in his Camp segment. But there was a slo-mo of him throwing "under pressure" (a few guys whacking him with swimming "noodles" as he pretend moved around in the pocket) and when he stepped and rared up to throw, the ball path was up and back instead of down, around and back... and he did not reach back nearly as far. Found that interesting.

However, he did "pat the ball" when his hands separated... :( ... which is not something he normally does.

Ball security was the one point Gruden emphasized with him... in the classroom and out on the field. Two hands on the ball whether on the move or in the pocket... whether clear of traffic or being noodle. This change did seem to change his release for the better.

Just realized he reminded me a little of Jason Campbell... which is not all bad... and is certainly better than reminding me of game tape Kizer...

I've liked Kizer all along and have been surprised to see that people thought him to be dim witted or the least desirable of the 4 main QBs in this class. That being said I'd love to see the NFL rate him as such because he would likely be sitting there at 33.

Kizer and Bortles have a similar issue in that see things a little too late, a little means a lot in the NFL......my boner for Kizer is no secret, I think he "could" be very vry good.

Well....Kizer sure likes Kizer.....

Just this week he said he has the mind of Tom Brady and the body of Cam Newton and could be the best QB to ever play the game...

Now.....THAT....is confidence.....(and a comment that will follow him to the grave)

As long as he prepares like Tom Brady, or Cody Kessler.

He came off as prepared in his episode... more so than the other two I've seen to date...

Agreed, I saw a 7 round mock draft that had Kizer going in the 3rd after Dobbs and Davis Webb. I also saw another mock draft on YouTube saying that Webb might be picked before kizer, who may slide into the 3rd or 4th....

Am I missing something? Is Kizer facing rape allegations? I just don't get it...

I suppose, but I thought that was the knock on just about everyone in this draft class....oh well, 5 (or 6, or 7) more days and the truth will come out.

True, but was there another prospect whose college HC came out and said it?

Archived