THE BROWNS BOARD

Plexico Burress Inspires TN Legislation???

Flugel

Folks,

Make sure you are seated when you read this thread because philosophically speaking - it's outrageous. Unfortunately, the television tells me it's true. Without further adoo - start with the following equation:

Alcohol + Knuckleheads = the Right to bear arms in TN bars

Evidently, someone in the state of TN came up with the idea that putting the Hatfields together with the Clampetts in places where people can consume as much alcohol as possible with the understanding they NOW have the RIGHT to bear arms regardless of whether they remain coherent enough to drive at the end of the night. It's not the idea that scares this TN resident as much as the reality that there were ENOUGH people liking this idea enough to vote it into legislation.

I'm trying to find any small smidgeons of logic in this. I didn't find anything acceptable BUT this is a football board and I think I intercepted the thought process behind it all. Tenn is just 1 BIGTIME WR away from happily ever after and this was BEFORE the draft with Plexico Burress still available to the City with the most fitting mindset. And all of a sudden we gotta BINGO here in Tennessee!

- Tom F. (Let the pidgeons loose because Uncle Jethro's slammin stupid juice)

That's so stupid an idea, Flugels, they must be drinking that slammin stupid juice

- whole quarts of it.

Extremely irresponsible. cwi should be a crime. (carrying while intoxicated).

BTW, it's the Hatfields and the MCCOYS. Available at an outdoor theater near you.

* If you're in SE West Virginia, that is...

The fact that there is a law against POSSESSING a handgun ANYWHERE in NYC didn't seem to stop Plax, did it?

I don't think it's a good idea, given how alcohol seriously lowers peoeple's inhibitions. I suppose the bar could always ban it (it's a private club, so they can control what goes on).

They can't carry it after 11pm.

In the end, it isn't a bad law. It's a good law.

The person intent on breaking the law doesn't care what the law says do they??

This just puts us law abiding citizens on a equal footing with the bad guys.

I doubt ANYBODY gets shot because of this who weren't going to get shot before.

They can't carry it after 11pm.

In the end, it isn't a bad law. It's a good law.

The person intent on breaking the law doesn't care what the law says do they??

This just puts us law abiding citizens on a equal footing with the bad guys.

I doubt ANYBODY gets shot because of this who weren't going to get shot before.

I'm going to respectfully disagree Peen. Your question about the person intent on breaking the law doesn't care what the law says doesn't pertain to 100% of the population so for the portion you are referring to that's a good point. Unfortunately, there's just as many people where this might become a bad idea for. You give a gun to a guy with Little Man Syndrome and send him out there where people aim to get liquored up (including him) and he wants to flex some metal muscle - we're inviting bad situations we didn't have before. It's not like you're going to have the Police force overseeing this in every single one of our nightcluds. We're talking about staff that are working 2nd jobs and making most of their money off of tips.

Anyway, there's more updates on this law:

The vote to pass it in the local Senate was approved by a 24 to 7 margin. It is now in front of the Governor who wanted it printed in the papers that ONLY people that will not drink alcohol will be allowed to carry guns into the bar and up to 11pm.

In other words, when there's 500 people inside BB King's nightclub - an understaffed bar NOW holds the responsibility of determining who is carrying and who is not. This ALSO requires staff to be responsible for knowing WHO is packing and who is not when people are orderign drinks at the bar or from their tables. And let's just say there's someone with gangster attitude going on and this guy wants a drink - what waiter, waitress or bartender is BEST equipped to say no?

I foresee ALOT of problems with implementation and carrying this out effectively. Are ALL the people packing going to follow this law and leave at 11 like they're supposed to? Are they ALL going drink O'Doule's like they're supposed? In a perfect society YES. What happens when people have the Donte Stallworth ABOVE the law mentality? They do what they aren't supposed to because following the laws only pertains to everyone else.

Why make Nashville into Memphis if we don't have to? One of the GREAT things I enjoyed about moving here was how safe it seemed to be if you wanted to go downtown at night. Believe it or not, this week 2 people that were standing in line to get into BB King's got shot. The second you announce we ALLOW guns where MOST of our nightclubs are - you make this Memphis. When my wife and I have asked about Memphis - we've been told you don't want to be downtown at night there especially if you are white. There's a reason Nashville remains more of a tourist attraction and I HOPE we aren't in the process of ruining that right now. I think the Governor is my last hope BUT he seems to be making a point in the paper of WHY this won the vote and why he wants to stay popular with the people that voted on it.

- Tom F.

It also has to be noted the person can't be drinking or under the influence of alcohol.

This way you can walk in to a liquor store or a quick mart and pick up a package without having to leave your gun in the car, which probably poses more problems than some guy having his holster strapped to shoulder.

• 2 months later...

Archived