THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns REJECTED two trade offers for Brady Quinn, say source

Dan in Florida

Tony Grossi's blog: Cleveland Browns rejected two trade offers for Brady Quinn, says source

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Monday May 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

brady-quinn-throwing.jpg

CLEVELAND -- I offer up this tidbit for the enjoyment of those who find the ongoing debate on the Browns quarterback situation to be insatiable.

I recently spoke with someone I will identify as a league source. This person does not work for an NFL team but works with NFL teams and has a prominent name.

I asked, "Whom do you think will wind up starting at quarterback for the Browns?"

Without hesitation, the answer was, "Brady Quinn."

The person went on to say that the Browns had two "very subtantial" trade offers for Quinn -- each involved a No. 1 draft pick -- and declined to trade him.

The source would not speculate on whether a trade of Quinn might have been blocked by owner Randy Lerner. The source believes that there will be a true "open competition" between Quinn and Derek Anderson and that Quinn will prevail.

The source does not believe that newly acquired ex-Jet Brett Ratliff will be thrown into the open competition. The source's take on Ratliff: "Eric Mangini likes having him around because he feels comfortable with him and he knows the offense."

link

Damn, Lumtowski broke one of his records flying to the PC to post on that one. He has what's called a Dexter Sense, he can smell a DA or Quinn post a mile away from his unit and come a running.

Guest Aloysius

Any chance Grossi spoke to Mike Martz for a piece on Furrey? I ask because Martz loves hearing himself talk to reporters and I've noticed before that "very substantial" is one of his favorites (examples here, here, here, here, and here).

If it's Martz, that would explain the weird introduction Grossi gave to the piece; Martz isn't currently employed by an NFL team, but he's probably heard things from coaches he knows and hopes to once again work with. And the "prominent name" appellation definitely would fit him.

I think most of us assume BQ will start but there will be a fair competition and bq will have to clearly win it to start..i dont see that as a problem nor do i see keeping DA around as a 3rd stringer as a problem...;)

The only reason there even having this open competition is to keep brady grounded and honest, and plus I think they want to put some pressure on him early to see how he handles it. Unfortunately DA couldn't apply pressure to gunshot wound on his own arm.

Anybody want to venture a guess on the over/under for DA picks in the preseason games? Assuming he plays a little in all 4 games I'll put the over/under at 7.

Any takers?

Nah, the only reason they're having the "competition" is to appease Randy Lerner.

And if you actually want to make a bet that Anderson will throw SEVEN picks in the preseason you'll have everybody on this message board to own up to at the start of the season.

The starting job is Quinn's to lose... Mangini will give him every opportunity to win the job....

However, Quinn must produce and produce quickly or he'll be back to his job of holding the clippboard......

As far as Grossi goes, he's still pissed that his insider got canned and now must resort to making up these types of articles claiming they're from "confidential sources"....

His days of scooping his fellow reporters went south when Policy went into grape farming------what a dweeb....

T.Dawg

I like that one Dan. That is creative.

And you really think DA will throw 7 picks in the preseason. I will take that bet in a second.

If they have a true QB competition then I actually have no idea who would win, though I do lean towards Brady Quinn. Probably depends on the coaching staffs preferred style and if they think that the running game can win games or if the QB has too.

What does that say about a Browns fan who posts the same "smack" pics as Stooler fans?

That's it! Lumbergh is SChuck! SChuck is Lumbergh! Lumbergh is a Steeler fan!!!

Inspecta...I choose 5 as my over/under for DA. I know he can knock that out easily in one game, even with whatever amount of playing time he will see in preseason.

Dan that is an awesome photoshop of DA.

Lumbnuts...Quinn can touch all the man junk he wants as long as he wins us some football

ESPN is running with this, too. The only thing this really tells me is Mangini thinks Quinn has promise and wants to see more.

Fact of the matter is there WILL be a QB competiton this summer, regardless of what everyone here thinks. I for one am excited to see what Quinn has and to see if DA has improved at all.

I think Quinn is a much better fit for this team, based on draft, signings and OC, and expect Quinn to win out eventually, but there will still be a competition. If DA ends up prevailing, this says a ton about Quinn.

BTW, anybody have ESPN premium? The have a rumor that it's "Quinn over Anderson for Browns QB."

Again, assuming Daboll tailors the offense to the presumed starter, Quinn... it's self-fulfilling. Anderson can't really play that WCO style.

I think I've found out how to make Anderson the #1 passer in the NFL, whoever we're playing that week, just put the opponent's name as payee on his check.

We'll never need Quinn again and Lummy can ride off posting into the sunset.

BTW, anybody have ESPN premium? The have a rumor that it's "Quinn over Anderson for Browns QB."

Again, assuming Daboll tailors the offense to the presumed starter, Quinn... it's self-fulfilling. Anderson can't really play that WCO style.

The ESPN article is basically a summary of what Grossi said. That someone who is not affiliated with an NFL team said that the Browns turned down two first round offers. The source said that Quinn will be the starter in week 1 even though the same source admitted that there will be an open competition. Nothing new really. Just re-wording what has already been said.

Archived