THE BROWNS BOARD

5 Things I Expect

WPB Dawg Fan

So, the change to BQ has happened...and to be honest it happened in one of the BEST weeks it could have occurred. Denver has a 103.1 QBR against AND gives up over 5 y/c rushing. The perfect set up for a young QB to go in and have his first game. It is a short week, but let's face it...BQ has been on call for over a month now...and the only thing he has missed is reps with the starters. The first quarter will probably feature a lot of JL and short slants/screens....and then we may see some deeper stuff in the 2nd/3rd quarters. Anyway...here is what I expect to change with the switch in QB's:

1. Consistency - BQ may not have the ROCKET that DA has...but he has been a far more accurate QB in his career. Sure, college does not always translate to pro...but I expect the Browns offense to be a much more stable/consistent time of posession squad under BQ.

2. Reduction in drops - Drops are not DIRECTLY the result of the QB...but it is amazing how a change in QB's on other teams has suddenly changed scrub WR's to good ones....and I expect the greater accuracy and TRUST of that accuracy to reduce the drops. WR's always do better when they know when and where to expect the ball...and the consistency of the QB inherently improves the WR...so less drops.

3. MORE SACKS - That's right, MORE!!! Teams are going to come after BQ and he is going to have to find his rhythm. He is also more likely to hold onto the ball longer due to his scrambling skills...so ala Ben Rot...expect our sacks to go up as BQ holds the ball and tries to make big plays out of nothing.

4. More yards from J Lewis - The best friend of a RB is play action passing. If there was one area where DA really had trouble...it was play action. BQ is the type of QB that is built for play action...and has the added dimension of being able to take off with the ball if a play breaks down. This is going to give J Lewis (Wright/Harrison) much bigger rushing lanes...or they will pay the piper on the play action.

5. Harrison/Sanders/Steptoe step up - BQ has had the vast majority of his snaps with these 3 players. He is going to be most comfortable with THEM in their routes and in his huddle. I had pointed out that one of DA's issues was his lack of throws to the other receivers (other than K2/BE) and his stats held it up. BQ is not going to have that bias coming out of the gate. That is going to mean a greater involvement of all these guys...which eventually will open up K2 and BE for the type of plays they had last year.

I am not saying that BQ is going to play at a pro-bowl level. I have no idea what he will do in the short or long term...and I have no idea if the Browns will win with him under center...however the change in the TYPE of QB and his go-to players should make the above changes not only logical...but almost necessary.

Another thing that will happen if BQ is able to protect the ball (and that is probably going to be his biggest hurdle) is that the ball control offense will allow our D to rest more...and therefore the D should be a little tougher going forward.

Here is hoping that BQ steps up to the plate and delivers!!!

So, the change to BQ has happened...and to be honest it happened in one of the BEST weeks it could have occurred. Denver has a 103.1 QBR against AND gives up over 5 y/c rushing. The perfect set up for a young QB to go in and have his first game. It is a short week, but let's face it...BQ has been on call for over a month now...and the only thing he has missed is reps with the starters. The first quarter will probably feature a lot of JL and short slants/screens....and then we may see some deeper stuff in the 2nd/3rd quarters. Anyway...here is what I expect to change with the switch in QB's:

1. Consistency - BQ may not have the ROCKET that DA has...but he has been a far more accurate QB in his career. Sure, college does not always translate to pro...but I expect the Browns offense to be a much more stable/consistent time of posession squad under BQ.

2. Reduction in drops - Drops are not DIRECTLY the result of the QB...but it is amazing how a change in QB's on other teams has suddenly changed scrub WR's to good ones....and I expect the greater accuracy and TRUST of that accuracy to reduce the drops. WR's always do better when they know when and where to expect the ball...and the consistency of the QB inherently improves the WR...so less drops.

3. MORE SACKS - That's right, MORE!!! Teams are going to come after BQ and he is going to have to find his rhythm. He is also more likely to hold onto the ball longer due to his scrambling skills...so ala Ben Rot...expect our sacks to go up as BQ holds the ball and tries to make big plays out of nothing.

4. More yards from J Lewis - The best friend of a RB is play action passing. If there was one area where DA really had trouble...it was play action. BQ is the type of QB that is built for play action...and has the added dimension of being able to take off with the ball if a play breaks down. This is going to give J Lewis (Wright/Harrison) much bigger rushing lanes...or they will pay the piper on the play action.

5. Harrison/Sanders/Steptoe step up - BQ has had the vast majority of his snaps with these 3 players. He is going to be most comfortable with THEM in their routes and in his huddle. I had pointed out that one of DA's issues was his lack of throws to the other receivers (other than K2/BE) and his stats held it up. BQ is not going to have that bias coming out of the gate. That is going to mean a greater involvement of all these guys...which eventually will open up K2 and BE for the type of plays they had last year.

I am not saying that BQ is going to play at a pro-bowl level. I have no idea what he will do in the short or long term...and I have no idea if the Browns will win with him under center...however the change in the TYPE of QB and his go-to players should make the above changes not only logical...but almost necessary.

Another thing that will happen if BQ is able to protect the ball (and that is probably going to be his biggest hurdle) is that the ball control offense will allow our D to rest more...and therefore the D should be a little tougher going forward.

Here is hoping that BQ steps up to the plate and delivers!!!

Nice call Dawg spot on!

I dont expect anything complex for at least 3-5 games and we all need to realize bq is still a rookie due to mismanagement thers a real chance he will lead and play better than DA right off the bat and the team needs to really get behind him...

Week 2 of 2007. Remember why Frye got yanked?

You can bitch about completion percentage all day but there's one stat that the coaching staff pointed to when CF got pulled.

Week 2 of 2007. Remember why Frye got yanked?

You can bitch about completion percentage all day but there's one stat that the coaching staff pointed to when CF got pulled.

Steelers need to bench Rot. He gets sacked too much. Its the only QB stat that matters.

Lum, what will you do if Quinn only goes down a couple of times? What will you do if he nets positive yards rushing even being sacked a few times?

Fraud.

Steelers need to bench Rot. He gets sacked too much. Its the only QB stat that matters.

Funny that you mention Rot in this thread QuinnLuver. Seeing as how you and the rest of BQ Nation blamed the Redskins game on DA.

I seem to recall some folks saying "There is no excuse for going 5-17 in a half, ever"

Well Rot did it. And he even threw a pick in there for good measure. 15 QB rating.

Yeah "anybody" coulda done better than DA at Washington, huh?

Funny that you mention Rot in this thread QuinnLuver. Seeing as how you and the rest of BQ Nation blamed the Redskins game on DA.

I seem to recall some folks saying "There is no excuse for going 5-17 in a half, ever"

Well Rot did it. And he even threw a pick in there for good measure. 15 QB rating.

Yeah "anybody" coulda done better than DA at Washington, huh?

Good effort fraudulent one, now look at some other games.

Archived