THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting stuff from Grossi

Guest Aloysius

Also says that Mangini & Kokinis put Quinn on the market but may have not pulled the trigger due to the overwhelmingly negative fan reaction to the trade rumors.

Guest AdaM
Can we sum this up? What does "held him out" mean? When he didn't sign right away?

Probably held out of practice.

Is there a transcript?

Guest AdaM
did you listen to it, what I got out of it was he held out on purpose so he would not be in the competition between Frye and Anderson. Meaning they didnt want him to compete for the starting job, they wanted him to sit and learn

I can't listen from work, streaming media is blocked.

Guest AdaM
I dont no if there's transcripts anywere, probably have to wait till ya get home.

Its just Grossi talking, who knows if theres any truth to it

Considering the last few months, probably not much at all.

Since the new regime took over they got rid of all the news leaking insiders that gave Grossi all of his information....

Grossi earned his reputation under Policy.... With the new management team in place, I wouldn't trust anything that Grossi says or writes... This dude doesn't have a clue and is not in the loop... As a result, he has to manufacture all his info and to be quite truthful, I think he makes most of this up... Throw enough poop on the wall and some of it is bound to stick.... Grossi is a hack.....

T.Dawg

Since the new regime took over they got rid of all the news leaking insiders that gave Grossi all of his information....

Grossi earned his reputation under Policy.... With the new management team in place, I wouldn't trust anything that Grossi says or writes... This dude doesn't have a clue and is not in the loop... As a result, he has to manufacture all his info and to be quite truthful, I think he makes most of this up... Throw enough poop on the wall and some of it is bound to stick.... Grossi is a hack.....

T.Dawg

Hey Daddybull, I hope your health is holding up and good to see you back around. I do disagree with your assessment, however.

I love message boards, you mention a guy in the media and immediately people are coming out with how they suck and are a hack etc, it never fails. Media and beat writers have got to be the most scrutinized people outside of the athletes and management themselves amongst sports fans.

Grossi has been around here long before Policy and more than likely will be here long after Mancock. I heard the whole interview at work and found it very enlightening. Basically, it was Tony sharing his opinion on things that happened before Mancock got here and since. He's giving his opinion, simple as that, and most of it a lot of us here concur with based on what has been posted here the last couple years.

There was never any chance of Quinn starting his first year with that regime, and the hold out sealed it. Remember it was very little money they were haggling over so I don't see what the big deal is about this maybe being true. Also, at the time I think they wanted to see what they had in both DA and Frye. I have broken this down before for Lumnuts but Savage said flat out that he had to move either DA or Frye after week one so Quinn could start getting reps in practice. He said Frye was the only one that garnered a draft pick so he decided to move Frye. That right there tells you Quinn had gotten no reps up to that point, there simply are not enough reps for three QB's.

I still fail to see how it's Grossi's fault that these guys don't tell him or anybody a thing. He is not happy about it and even brought up that the fans should be a little perturbed that they haven't heard from either of the coordinators yet. Grossi can only do so much, but the fact remains he is around this team a helluva lot more than just about anybody else in the media and certainly way more than any of us.

Poor guy can't win for losing, if he doesn't say anything he doesn't know anything and if he does it's just bullshit and not fact since he's a hack.

I'll bet any of the guys who love to hate media types would be the first ones to go up to them at a practice etc and buddy up with them. Pluto is another one that has ridiculous stuff said about him.

It's also not hard to imagine the fan base having an impact on not trading Quinn, but I think if anything it triggered these guys to look a little closer at the situation and give the fan base a little bit of credit. Wanting to see a player that they nor the new regime has seen enough of to make a qualified opinion on trading him is sensible. The thought of trading a guy you gave up a first and second for and then stashed on the bench without ever seeing him is Retarded, plain and simple, especially when said player has given glimpses that he is the real deal. Also, what were the options? Friggin DA again? Some career backup like Leftwich? A rookie draft pick? Orton? There are none that make any sense outside of Sanchez and that would have been stupid also considering they needed picks and to save on the cap.

I highly doubt they ever really were going to trade Quinn, they just simply listened to offers to see if a Hershel Walker deal was in the mix.

Funny I have never heard the contract negotions were held up by the Browns so the fans wouldn't clammer for Quinn.

I agree with Grossi that Quinn has been completely mismanaged. You draft a blind side OT, then sell the family farm to go up and get the Ohio QB (who you know will be a fan favorite), then you constantly work to keep him from starting, ....well crap, then you just don't know what the hell you're doing. You have no plan whatsoever. Or the plan is just plain no good.

A good listen. Thanks for the thread.

Oh, and Peter King is an Ohio guy and he can't give us a little love to get into the low 20's in the rankings? Ahhh well.

Funny I have never heard the contract negotions were held up by the Browns so the fans wouldn't clammer for Quinn.

I agree with Grossi that Quinn has been completely mismanaged. You draft a blind side OT, then sell the family farm to go up and get the Ohio QB (who you know will be a fan favorite), then you constantly work to keep him from starting, well then you just don't know what the hell you're doing. You have no plan whatsoever.

Ocon, my take on the Browns holding out on Quinn are more like they weren't in a big hurry to get it done, not necessarily doing it on purpose. Most fans with a clue weren't ever planning on Quinn starting out the gate IMO. I think they also wanted to get a better look at both DA and Frye going head to head.

Ocon, my take on the Browns holding out on Quinn are more like they weren't in a big hurry to get it done, not necessarily doing it on purpose. Most fans with a clue weren't ever planning on Quinn starting out the gate IMO. I think they also wanted to get a better look at both DA and Frye going head to head.

Probably the right take Riff.

The thought of trading a guy you gave up a first and second for and then stashed on the bench without ever seeing him is Retarded, plain and simple, especially when said player has given glimpses that he is the real deal.

Glimpses? You must be talking about the loss to the Broncs in which his QB rating was nearly that of Jamarcus Russell vs the Broncs?

You must be talking about the loss to the Broncs in which his QB rating was nearly that of Jamarcus Russell vs the Broncs?

Close, but I was talking more about the option of having to "start friggen DA".

I agree with Grossi that Quinn has been completely mismanaged. You draft a blind side OT, then sell the family farm to go up and get the Ohio QB (who you know will be a fan favorite), then you constantly work to keep him from starting, ....well crap, then you just don't know what the hell you're doing. You have no plan whatsoever. Or the plan is just plain no good.

Oh, and Peter King is an Ohio guy and he can't give us a little love to get into the low 20's in the rankings? Ahhh well.

Peter King is as much of a dipshit as Grossi. They're both jokes.

Russ, thanks for the welcome back...It's been a while.. Had the surgery last June at the Clinic, got a staff, 3 additional surgeries, 56 total days in the hospital and I missed the entire 2008 season... Didn't get to see a game..... Man how lucky can a dude get...

It's good to be back to agree to disagree....

I guess I'm in a select minority here on the board, in that, I see a tremendous up side in Derek Anderson.. His arm is intoxicating, reminds me a lot of Vinny but thats not all good as we all know....

On the other hand, I want to see what the hell we used a number 1 draft choice on.... All 1st picks have to get a chance, they have to play with the number one unit and you can't trade him and watch him become a star in another stadium... He was a 1st round pick for a reason and you at least have to give him the respect that goes along with that round selection... In addition, in his short playing time he's shown aspects of his game that could transform a team into a winner... He's got spunk, He seems to have that "it"...

I've played enough sports in my lifetime and probably spent 10 mans years in locker rooms... (when you're 65 it just adds up, doesn't mean that I was any good..)... I've seen a number of Brady Quinn types and , truthfully, more of them succeded than failed... You'd have to get something damn good to part with an untested #1 pick....

In retrospect, Romeo or Savage, whoever was calling the shots, blew it big time last year when they started Anderson... He was coming off a concussion, sensative to light, he had no business playing... Quinn should have started from the get go, as physically he was much better than DA considering all the factors.... Concussions slow down your moter skills... A QB has 3 to 5 seconds to go through his reads, make split second decissions and favoribly process all that information-- all the while dodging 300 pound maniacs wanting to rip your freakin head off.... Quinn should have started, PERIOD.... If that would have happened we would have had a much better read on the direction of the Browns... The former management team blew it big time....

Now speaking of Grossi... I realize he's been around the Cleveland sporting scene for decades.... But Policy had him in his back pocket, allowed him to scoop the other writers and at times leaked to him info that was strictly party line stuff...Grossi got lazy cause he didn't have to work for his stories... He doesn't have that status with the new FO and frankly I think he makes up a lot of his stuff hoping to hit a winner now and again... Grossi is not a fan of the Mangini regime and often goes out of his way to shed a negative light on the operation...

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and assholes---everyone got one...

T.Dawg

Russ, thanks for the welcome back...It's been a while.. Had the surgery last June at the Clinic, got a staff, 3 additional surgeries, 56 total days in the hospital and I missed the entire 2008 season... Didn't get to see a game..... Man how lucky can a dude get...

It's good to be back to agree to disagree....

I guess I'm in a select minority here on the board, in that, I see a tremendous up side in Derek Anderson.. His arm is intoxicating, reminds me a lot of Vinny but thats not all good as we all know....

On the other hand, I want to see what the hell we used a number 1 draft choice on.... All 1st picks have to get a chance, they have to play with the number one unit and you can't trade him and watch him become a star in another stadium... He was a 1st round pick for a reason and you at least have to give him the respect that goes along with that round selection... In addition, in his short playing time he's shown aspects of his game that could transform a team into a winner... He's got spunk, He seems to have that "it"...

I've played enough sports in my lifetime and probably spent 10 mans years in locker rooms... (when you're 65 it just adds up, doesn't mean that I was any good..)... I've seen a number of Brady Quinn types and , truthfully, more of them succeded than failed... You'd have to get something damn good to part with an untested #1 pick....

In retrospect, Romeo or Savage, whoever was calling the shots, blew it big time last year when they started Anderson... He was coming off a concussion, sensative to light, he had no business playing... Quinn should have started from the get go, as physically he was much better than DA considering all the factors.... Concussions slow down your moter skills... A QB has 3 to 5 seconds to go through his reads, make split second decissions and favoribly process all that information-- all the while dodging 300 pound maniacs wanting to rip your freakin head off.... Quinn should have started, PERIOD.... If that would have happened we would have had a much better read on the direction of the Browns... The former management team blew it big time....

Now speaking of Grossi... I realize he's been around the Cleveland sporting scene for decades.... But Policy had him in his back pocket, allowed him to scoop the other writers and at times leaked to him info that was strictly party line stuff...Grossi got lazy cause he didn't have to work for his stories... He doesn't have that status with the new FO and frankly I think he makes up a lot of his stuff hoping to hit a winner now and again... Grossi is not a fan of the Mangini regime and often goes out of his way to shed a negative light on the operation...

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and assholes---everyone got one...

T.Dawg

Good stuff, I agree with a lot of that but one thing about Grossi is he has good things to say about the direction of the team with these guys, so he obviously isn't belligerently spiteful. I'm not really sure how much digging a beat writer is supposed to do, honestly.

I think Mangini and company will loosen up a bit after this season or at least since they've taken over. They've started coming out of their shell a little and like Tony says, this is the time of year when really a coach is in all his glory. He gets to talk a little football and no expectations are made of him to this point, so it's all good. I have no issue with how secretive this regime has been prior to the draft cuz it was best for the team IMO, but I do expect them to be more sociable and informative than the dreg that Belichick was.

Here's a little snippet from Sunday's Hey Tony:

Hey, Tony: I was stunned how much detail coach [Eric] Mangini got into in his press conferences the past two days. He had a smile on his face and answered the questions very well. He also gave a lot of insight into his methods, such as running laps for penalties and dropped balls, and why they have to do so. This was much more than I expected and more than we have seen in the past four years. Were you as surprised? -- Michael Spitale, Galena, Ohio

Hey, Michael: No. He's a bright man and was in his element presiding over a new class of young, eager football players. There is no pressure to win this time of year, just hope and optimism. In some cases, this is the best time of year for an NFL coach.

This is why I don't believe a word of it. That regime had their problems but the senselessness wouldn't have went that far.

Sounds far fetched and as if someone is reaching for a story.

Archived